NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

The End For Neogaf?

57 minutes ago, bob said:

What is a paid email address?

Not Gmail/Outlook etc.  So, if your ISP provides email addresses then use that one.

• Like 1

I see EviLore posted one last time in the NeoGaf thread talking about this whole mess:

I endorse going and registering on Resetera. "Make gaming great again." Have fun! Bye!

Now, moving on...

Just amazes me how little self awareness he seems to have

Normal registration is now open. I think I've managed to sign up. I can now post on the forum so I assume I got accepted. Possibly helped that I was a member on Gaf. Part of the registration processing is to link your Gaf profile if you have one. They are probably screening for any trouble makers. 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Normal registration is now open. I think I've managed to sign up. I can now post on the forum so I assume I got accepted. Possibly helped that I was a member on Gaf. Part of the registration processing is to link your Gaf profile if you have one. They are probably screening for any trouble makers. 

I think they want members who are also not banned from what I heard, some of them still have access and can check.  One person in the Discord I got my code from said they were screened, but couldn't get on the new site due to being banned on Gaf.

They had nearly 2,000 applications this evening alone.

• Thanks 1

Yep I've been accepted this evening. I only had 310 posts on neoGAF from 5 years or so of being a member, but I'm a good egg, so got in much quicker than it took to get a GAF account when I signed up for that!

Impressed with how they've set it up so far. Very efficient and seems to have the feel of the community and the high level of activity that made gaf a compelling read, even though I never got involved too much.

What will happen to gaf now will be quite intriguing, it still has a good level of activity for a forum, but it's dropped off so dramatically, and there's quite a toxic atmosphere despite those that are insisting they are staying and not moving saying how it's all the bad people/problems that have moved on, and it's just the people who want to talk about the games "without SJWs" who are left. Methinks they're a little in denial.

I think neogaf is finished. The owner is  insane. Reset Era has migrated the big names and many old famous posters. Even current active industry types have moved there. 

Someone posted data for Gaf to Resetera.  Boy, unless the owner of Gaf sells up (or unlocks the approval of new members) then alarm bells must be rung.

Edited by Jimbob

5 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Someone posted data for Gaf to Resetera.  Boy, unless the owner of Gaf sells up (or unlocks the approval of new members) then alarm bells must be rung.

What?

Yeah It does seem as if Neogaf is done. For the Sony Paris show today, probably one of the bigger events since everything that went down with the forum, there were threads on both Neogaf and Reset era. The Resetera thread has over 6500 posts meanwhile the Gaf one has 429.

Edited by Helmsly

The site may stick around but it's lost most of it's members to Era. It can still function in its current state. Just look at this place. There's only a handful of people here now but we are still here....barely.

We've always more or less retained the same core of members though, sure people come and go but the community still has its key members :p

I'm sure GAF will stick around, will be interesting to see what becomes of it. But ResetEra is where its at now. Saw a couple of posts by the GameXplain crew, hopefully more of tge industry types have migrated with them and the better aspects of GAF will be retained over there in the long run. 

12 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

We've always more or less retained the same core of members though, sure people come and go but the community still has its key members :p

I often wonder how long this place can keep going. Myself and Blade briefly talked just how little banter there was in the Mario thread over the weekend. It's one of the biggest releases of the year and it was pretty quiet. Same goes for Assasssin's Creed and Wolfenstein threads. Our numbers are so low that once a single member stops posting it really has an impact on the conversations that can be had. It will get to the point where there's only 1 or two people talking about a game and at that point if feels kinda pointless. Not that I post much in it but even the General board is pretty dead these days.

Over time, i understand that people move on and do other things in life, that they drift away as such.  The General board used to be heaving, i could hardly keep up with the updates and what's been said where.  Now it's easy enough to do in a few minutes.  However, the gaming boards (specifically Nintendo) have picked up a lot.

I think its the changing of whats popular as well. Forums just arent used as much these days. One of the other main forums I used to use decided to shut down and just make the switch to a Discord chat channel instead.

• Like 1

Gaf is done. The amount of posts has decreased hugely and its only going to get worse. 

Crazy how quickly it's all gone wrong. 

I see Era is just as bad as Gaf in terms of shutting down conversations. Colin Moriarty has started a new gaming podcast/channel and because Era mods/admins don't agree with his politics they won't allow anything about him to be posted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Not gonna complain about that...

Well, yeah, if you don't like the guy you won't. Personally I have no problems with him ( dude is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else ) and found his gaming banter insightful at times.

I mentioned it in the Doom thread but I’ve had my lifetime fill of their forums 9 posts in when someone received a warning for using the phrase “Lazy Devs”.

Totalitarian is not my bag of tea. It’s why I don’t post on Something Awful either. 

59 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I see Era is just as bad as Gaf in terms of shutting down conversations. Colin Moriarty has started a new gaming podcast/channel and because Era mods/admins don't agree with his politics they won't allow anything about him to be posted.

Wow... What a bunch a pathetic arseholes. 

I'll be tuning in for sure. Colin was easily one of the best gaming journalists out there. Glad he's decided to come back.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Wow... What a bunch a pathetic arseholes. 

I'll be tuning in for sure. Colin was easily one of the best gaming journalists out there. Glad he's decided to come back.

He announced his comeback last week and that thread also got locked. Colin said he wasn't happy with the state of a lot of the current gaming journalists, with many not doing their jobs by not calling out the disgusting practices developers/publishers are putting in their games. This is what has inspired him to return.

Dude has a point. There are only a handful who are not afraid to kick the hornets nest ( it's why I love Jim Sterling ) and more people in power and with influence need to speak up about such things.

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

He announced his comeback last week and that thread also got locked. Colin said he wasn't happy with the state of a lot of the current gaming journalists, with many not doing their jobs by not calling out the disgusting practices developers/publishers are putting in their games. This is what has inspired him to return.

Dude has a point. There are only a handful who are not afraid to kick the hornets nest ( it's why I love Jim Sterling ) and more people in power and with influence need to speak up about such things.

I don't play PS4 / Xbox One but it makes me sad to see the current state of gaming on those platforms. Lootboxes, microtransactions, day one DLC etc. Seems like the players are more roundly getting fleeced because budgets are out of control, and mobile F2P methods of monetisation are being implemented in full price games to compensate. It's disgusting TBH, and I'm glad people like Jim and previously Colin are willing to call them out. I hope he continues to shine a focus on this. Colin Was Right was always an entertaining watch and a well researched passion project. 

Furthermore, he is absolutely right about gaming journalism, it has completely nosed-dived in terms of quality in the past few years, and more so since the glory days of N64 magazine. I actually don't access written pieces anymore, save a few Eurogamer and Kotaku articles which people share on GAF or ERA. Much prefer to consume content on YouTube, such as Easy Allies, Kinda Funny, GiantBomb, SpawnWave (awesome for quick news) and Digital Foundry for those technical breakdowns. It doesn't surprise me that some of the best gaming journalists are now almost exclusively producing video driven content, especially after the whole Jeff Gertsmann / Gamespot debacle. Most things on IGN, Gamespot and especially Polygon have become annoyingly infused with politics and it just doesn't interest me what so ever. I don't want to mix politics and games, hence why I'm almost exclusively and Nintendo gamer, I play games to chill out or have some fun, not to think about wider society or bigger questions as a whole.

I was firmly on the side of the people who criticised some reviewers and how bad they were at games. If you work for a gaming website, which could essentially be boiled down to consumer advice when it comes to reviews, you should be good at video games, experienced in video games and know what the hell you're talking about, in both technical terms and in terms of having experienced a solid back-catalogue of games you can draw on for comparison purposes. In most video games, though granted not all, mechanics are important, skill level is important, difficulty is a factor in overall enjoyment (especially in something like DOOM). To me it seems the most popular sites have become agenda driven and have started employing writers, who are undoubtedly skilled at writing, but probably don't share the same love and passion for gaming as say 99% of the users of this forum likely have. Almost as if they are writers first, gamers second.

Colin is bang on the money in this respect, and having someone back in the business, regardless of politics, can only be a good thing. People who refuse to acknowledge him because of his (incredibly mild) "right wing" views are beyond help. Sure Colin is a bit of an arsehole, definitely cocky and arrogant at times ('Colin was right?' Come on!), but given his position and his history in the industry, I don't begrudge him that. After watching his interviews with Dave Rubin and Joe Rogan, I feel like I understand him more as a person, even if he isn't particularly likeable. He most certainly isn't alt-right, racist, sexist, homophobic, or whatever other labels people are throwing at him. And yet, even if I don't like him, I believe his voice is pretty valuable to the gaming industry as a whole and can't wait to see his new content. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this