NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

The End For Neogaf?

giphy.gif
I specifically didn't say Admins. We obviously have some of the best ones of those.

GAF is apparantly going back online tonight.................just without the Off Topic threads.  Apparently, they were too much strain on the mods to cope with (along with the gaming threads)

ResetEra is a Brand New Forum Made By NeoGAF’s Moderators and Community

PAUL TAMBURROMonday, October 23 2017

Reset-Era-ResetEra.png

ResetEra is a brand new forum set to be launched by the NeoGAF's moderators and community, following a mass exodus from the site as a result of sexual harassment accusations leveled at its creator.

The site is being created by NeoGAF's official Discord community, with it already securing web hosting duties and reportedly set for launch later today. It will feature familiar faces from the troubled gaming forum's moderation staff, along with various members of the site's community. There's no word yet on what time it's expected to launch, though it already has its official Twitter account, which posted the following tweet earlier today:

Many former NeoGAF community members and long-term moderators stepped down from the site after last week's allegations, which saw Tyler "Evilore" Malka accused of sexual harassment. Following these allegations NeoGAF went offline for "scheduled maintenance," though the site continues to display a 502 Gateway Error to those who try to access it.

While NeoGAF has received its fair share of criticisms over the years, with detractors of the site condemning it for the frequent witch hunts staged by its community along with the behavior of some of its more divisive moderators, it has been a huge part of online gaming culture. With many developers actively using the site and a number of insiders using it to post leaked information, it became a source for breaking news and a hotbed of gaming-related discussion, so many will be pleased to hear that its community are actively looking to create a new forum out of its ashes.

• Like 2

And hey, like BG&E, THQ came back to life. 

Edit: dammit didn’t realize there was page 3

Edited by Nolan

3 hours ago, Helmsly said:

The site is back up, complete with Evilores statement:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452075

So they've killed off the off topic section? Interesting move but one that I can totally understand. A lot of the toxicity came from that side of the boards, withe members being singled out if they didn't agree with the masses.

There are still people cropping up in the gaming section and suicide posting. It's going to be a while before the whole thing settles down. I'll be keeping my eye on Reset Era when it launches to see how things go over there.

• Like 1

OK, I take back everything I said about the Mods on this forum.

Won't somebody please save us from Monday12!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bob said:

OK, I take back everything I said about the Mods on this forum.

Won't somebody please save us from Monday12!

I would be my secret mod powers were taken away from me when we changed to this new forum. Saying that, I wouldn't know how to ban someone with this new setup anyway. :D 

TBH, I’m pretty sure that the site is done for, regardless of Evilore’s efforts to bring it back online.

Nobody reputable is gonna touch it with a 50 foot pole now, the moderating team is gone (and won’t come back) and the community that’ll be on there will basically be total toxic sludge. It’s a total PR disaster, regardless of what he says and does now.

It’s done.

Edited by Dcubed

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

TBH, I’m pretty sure that the site is done for, regardless of Evilore’s efforts to bring it back online.

Nobody reputable is gonna touch it with a 50 foot pole now, the moderating team is gone (and won’t come back) and the community that’ll be on there will basically be total toxic sludge. It’s a total PR disaster, regardless of what he says and does now.

It’s done.

You can see just how many people have left by how slow the board is moving. Many seem to be either setting up discords or just waiting for an alternative forum to pop up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll just be browsing it as a gaming news aggregator until a better place opens up

There are some request topics popping up in the gaming boards, and again he's banning people for having an opinion.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You can see just how many people have left by how slow the board is moving. Many seem to be either setting up discords or just waiting for an alternative forum to pop up.

When is N-EOGAF coming..? :blank:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nekunando said:

When is N-EOGAF coming..? :blank:

The biggest replacement board looks like it'll be ResetEra. That's the one I'm planning on switching to.

18 hours ago, Agent Gibbs said:

The best example i can think of was a thread about a speaker being effectively prevented from speaking at a US university because of protests over prior comments, and people quite reasonably argued that it is censorship and that freedom of speech allows them the right to speak, they should be allowed to speak and the correct way to protest them is to challenge and debate their views to prove them wrong, that suppressing a view point pushes it underground and allows resentment to foster.

Is this the guy who was found out to be a Nazi?

Edited by Choze

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

The biggest replacement board looks like it'll be ResetEra. That's the one I'm planning on switching to.

I will keep an eye on this. 

1 hour ago, Choze said:

Is this the guy who was found out to be a Nazi?

Milo? nope it was some older bloke if I'm remembering right....I'll see if I can find the article since off topic is gone as a source

Can't find a source but remember it was some older professor, seem to think he got mobbed outside after being prevented from speaking but he stayed and debated with the protestors outside despite some just shouting abuse. Whilst I didn't necessarily agree with what he said, he made very clear concise polite arguments and discussions with the protestors and came across very well, on the flip side the protestors seemed completely childish, unreasonable and unwilling to listen to anything outside of their world view.

That said even a 'Nazi'* should be allowed to speak, but that freedom of speech works two ways and does not exclude them from criticism or legitimise their view,  the crowd/attendees have a right to debate and prove them wrong, catch them in their misconceptions and potentially change views - completely excluding people like that and making a massive deal about them serves to empower and embolden their followers who see it as justification for their actions and vindication that everyone who disagrees cannot argue against them so resort to censorship, more than anyone else I feel they need to be challenged in public forum and allowed to tie themselves up in their idiocy and not give them the pleasure of the vindication - Donald Trump capitalised on this and shows the danger of just vilifying a person/viewpoint . That or treat them like some amazing protestors do with the Westboro Baptist Church, make a peaceful sarcastic counter protest showing them up for the bigots they are.

*There are no true Nazi's these days only ridiculous wannabe's who are White Supremacists but pretend they are SS, hitlers gonna have a second coming etc

Edited by Agent Gibbs
  • Like 1

I think I recall that professor. He was arguing against gender neutral pronouns being legislated for use in a collegiate setting.

Yeah I managed to get in during the verified registration blocks last night. Forum seems good so far.

Well, I'll never get in. Don't have my old uni email anymore so I can't apply. I will frankly never understand this approach.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this