NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Helmsly

Nintendo Switch Update Ver. 4.0.0 ( adds Video capture, transfer save data, new profile pics)

I thought this warranted its own thread, there is a new Firmware update for the Switch which features:

• Video capture for select games
  • New profile icons featuring characters from the Super Mario Odyssey™ game and The Legend of Zelda™: Breath of the Wild game
  • Transfer user profiles and save data to another system
  • Pre-purchase option is available for certain games on Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/system-update/

Video capture:

To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay

Up to maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.

As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just when you've given up hope, bam, they give us the goods.  Nice additions for the system.

Select games only for video capture!? 30 seconds only!? BOOOOOOOOO!!!

The rest all sounds good though! About time we were able to transfer saves!

• Like 1

I was initially excited about this update but then realised the save transfer is just for passing between Switch consoles and not an actual backup feature. :(

I quickly created a video this morning to see how the process works and what the quality is like.

It's very easy to do and the quality isn't bad. Just in time for The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air shenanigans tonight. :D 

• Like 4

It seems there is a joy-con update, as well.

You probably know about the ability to update Switch’s firmware. But did you know that you know that the console has an option to update controllers as well?

First, visit system settings. Then head on over to the “Controllers and Sensors” tab. Scroll down to “Update Controllers”, and both Joy-Con will be updated in a matter of seconds.

What’s behind the update for the controllers? Well, that’s a bit of a mystery. Nintendo doesn’t seem to have any information on that currently.

That update came out of nowhere. I was playing a game, went to the menu to check the time, then saw the news for the update. Nice surprise though!

Excellent business move as well. You can bet Super Mario Odyssey will have this feature right out of the box. Twitter will have plenty of videos before the holidays start.

Also just heard that it adds the ability to share game updates with other Switches via local wireless.  Great for when you’re out and about with a friend and one of you has forgotten to update their game!

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

Excellent business move as well. You can bet Super Mario Odyssey will have this feature right out of the box. Twitter will have plenty of videos before the holidays start.

Yup, I imagine the amount of SMO videos that will be posted on social media is gonna be insane.

13 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

The quality is terrible or is that just on my end?

I wouldn't say it's terrible. Sure it could be better but it's not as if you can't see whats going on. Saying that, i'm not watching the videos in full screen. Anyone able to check what the quality is like on the Facebook side of things?

16 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Also just heard that it adds the ability to share game updates with other Switches via local wireless.  Great for when you’re out and about with a friend and one of you has forgotten to update their game!

Yes. Full update log:

Improvements Included in Version 4.0.0 (Distributed 10/18/2017)

Added the following system functionality

• Capture video on select games
    • To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
    • Up to a maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
    • As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2
  • Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
    • To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
  • Transfer user and save data to another system
  • Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
    • A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
    • This feature will be supported by future game releases
  • News channel updates
    • The news feed has been updated with a new look.
    • Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel's content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
  • Match software version with a group of local users
    • To create a group, head to the software's Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
    • Everyone's software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
    • All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group

General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:

• Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed
    • The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router's settings.

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup, I imagine the amount of SMO videos that will be posted on social media is gonna be insane.

I wouldn't say it's terrible. Sure it could be better but it's not as if you can't see whats going on. Saying that, i'm not watching the videos in full screen. Anyone able to check what the quality is like on the Facebook side of things?

I tried watching it full screen here (24" display) and it was like... "ouch, my eyes!!"

There's a video here, though, from Zelda: 

That looks much better, though still a bit unclean. The editor wrote this:

"It's an MP4 file, 1280x720 resolution, 30 fps, encoded as H.264, with AAC stereo audio at 48kHz. The bitrate is 4.38Mbit/s."

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So, fairly mediocre quality really.  Not terrible, but about what I expected.

That’s fine really.  I wouldn’t use any console’s built-in capture tools for high quality recordings anyway.  It does the job for quick highlights.

What really makes this feature a killer though is that it works in handheld mode! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Games need to be updated to take advantage of the feature. Give it time, there will be an onslaught of updates soon enough

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Games need to be updated to take advantage of the feature. Give it time, there will be an onslaught of updates soon enough

3 minutes ago, Serebii said:

I'm a little baffled by this approach, TBH. Why not just make it a system wide feature, rather than having it by a game by game basis? Seems like a weird way of doing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm a little baffled by this approach, TBH. Why not just make it a system wide feature, rather than having it by a game by game basis? Seems like a weird way of doing it.

I think it's due to the fact the games didn't have it when they were created and the way they do the OS is to have as little in the background running so more power can go to the device. Or it's simply opt-in and games have to be patched to opt-in

Edited by Serebii

This is actually really disappointing...just 30 seconds of video capture and you have to manually trigger it, so no capturing anything neat that already happened. No cloud saves which is what is really needed, just a save transfer option which has niche applications. If this is a main numbered update I hate to think what the lesser updates will be like!

Nintendo doesn't believe in OS-level anything.
  • Like 1

Excellent update. :cool:

Shame the video recording is limited to select software and only 30 seconds (quality ain't all that either :heh:) but it's better than nowt. I'm pretty confident they will improve it in the future though, and with games like MK8DX and now Arms having built-in replay saving anyway, the video duration is slightly less of an issue.

Nice to see some progress with the handling of save data too. Baby steps... :grin:

30 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

This is actually really disappointing...just 30 seconds of video capture and you have to manually trigger it, so no capturing anything neat that already happened. No cloud saves which is what is really needed, just a save transfer option which has niche applications. If this is a main numbered update I hate to think what the lesser updates will be like!

Holding the capture button records the previous 30 seconds,  so it does record things that already happened.

Suspect cloud saves will be introduced around the same time as their online service.

...so no capturing anything neat that already happened.

Hold the button until it beeps and it saves the previous 30 seconds. So, if something cool happens, you can get it easily.

oh right cool, I thought it let you record 30 seconds from that point. Not so bad then, but I really hope they get moving with the cloud saves (these should definitely be here at least by the time paid online kicks in).

Pretty naff really. No actual save backup option, video recording in 4 games at not great quality and no video services uploading (YouTube/Vimeo), and that’s it...

The photos and videos should be in the cloud and accessible from the switch mobile app to then do with what you want. Argh. 

And where the hell are folders?!?!?

Let's hope they increase the recording window at some point. I am spoiled by the PS4's recording features - the video capture feature records the last 15 minutes of gameplay by default, plus you can upload your recordings to Youtube directly from your PS4. It also records mic/party audio and you can also do live broadcasting to Twitch and Youtube. So Nintendo have a long way to go to catch up, but it's a welcome update and I'm optimistic that they're taking steps (albeit baby steps) in the right direction.

As usual, the best part of the update is Amelia's posts about the new features.

Well, it seems like a fairly solid update, though there's nothing super exciting for me personally. When are we getting more Home Menu customization options? :(

Edited by FireMeowth

Sign in to follow this