NEurope
Julius

Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 2018)

solo-a-star-wars-story-tall-A.png

Solo: A Star Wars Story stars Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo and is directed by Ron Howard.

The film is themed as a Space Western centered on a young Han Solo, the roguish smuggler who later meets Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker in the Mos Eisley Cantina in Star Wars: A New Hope, and his adventures with his Wookiee partner Chewbacca, including their encounter with Lando Calrissian. 

The film is set for release May 25th 2018.

For some reason I expected this movie to be more of a comedic heist film. Space Western sounds a tad more serious, but who knows at this point. The title is succinct, and it'll be hard to forget. 

Did they confirm another "Story" after Episode IX? Was it Kenobi? 

8 hours ago, somme said:

For some reason I expected this movie to be more of a comedic heist film. Space Western sounds a tad more serious, but who knows at this point. The title is succinct, and it'll be hard to forget. 

Did they confirm another "Story" after Episode IX? Was it Kenobi? 

The comedic expectation you had was probably down to Lourd and Miller's prior involvement with the film, which didn't end so well. Whilst I love their other works, I always thought that this would have been a bit of a strange fit - especially with it supposedly being Lawrence Kasdan's final screenplay, which he wrote with his son.

No confirmation yet that Kenobi is the one arriving in 2020, but it's the only other spin-off film we've heard about getting off the ground in the last 18 months or so, so it seems likely to be the one we get after IX, and will be directed by Stephen Daldry. I think it's still in the early stages of pre-production: Ewan McGregor hasn't been announced as reprising his role as of yet, but everything seems to be pointing towards his return.

Of course it'll be a Western, that's all Alden knows how to do!

Would that it were so simple.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

The comedic expectation you had was probably down to Lourd and Miller's prior involvement with the film, which didn't end so well. Whilst I love their other works, I always thought that this would have been a bit of a strange fit - especially with it supposedly being Lawrence Kasdan's final screenplay, which he wrote with his son.

Nothing to do with them, never heard of them. It was more due to the fact Han always had a lot of comedic one-liners, his relationship with Chewie was very upbeat, etc.

Whilst John Powell (Bourne, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon) will still serve as the film’s primary composer, he has asked John Williams to compose Han Solo’s theme, which Williams has gracefully accepted.

Speaking to Variety recently about his most recent work on The Last Jedi, Williams said that:

The present plan is that I’m writing a theme for Han Solo, and John Powell is going to write the score, which he’ll do brilliantly. His assignment is something I’m very happy about. What I will do is offer this to John, and to [director] Ron Howard, and if all parties are happy with it, then I will be happy. … John [Powell] will complete the score. He will write all the rest of the themes and all of the other material, which I’m going to be very anxious to hear.

Edited by Julius Caesar

High-res version of some leaked promotional art:

solo-a-star-wars-story-licensing-russia-

Elsewhere, LEGO set leaks for the film have already begun (despite them supposedly not launching until April), and the film will be known as Han Solo: A Star Wars Story in a number of territories (which, in my opinion, is a better title).

I’m actually starting to get excited for this...

Edited by Julius Caesar

Official plot synopsis:

Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

To be honest I'm only here for Donald Glover.  I'm not sure how I feel about this Chewie/Han Solo Jennifer Aniston movie (that's what the poster tells me this is anyway).

I’m not not really sure how I feel about it.

Take out Chewie, the title card and the Star Wars theme and it looks, feels and sounds like a run-of-the-mill sci-fi blockbuster. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

To me the Muppet Babies approach to the Star Wars universe just doesn't seem appealing at all. I'd much rather they just explore the less familiar world's and characters, Rogue One was excellent but the worst parts of it were the moments with Vader and Leia that just seemed tacked on to connect it more to the OT. I would much rather they experiment with different genres in the Star Wars universe, not every film has to be a bombastic sci-fi fantasy, the potential for films of all types in the Star Wars universe is what interests me not these prequels that struggle to add more dimensions to characters that just started out as standard archetypes when Lucas wrote A New Hope.

Based on the trailer alone, I'm not interested. But I'm ready to be surprised.

I'll see it but it doesn't look like a film I'll need to see more than one. Hopefully, it'll be more of a nice surprise like Rogue One, rather than TLJ.

Didn’t have the greatest expectations before, and I still don’t. Another average-at-best trailer in my eyes.

I’ll be going opening day, because it’s Star Wars, and hope that it beats my moderate expectations, just like Rogue One did. That film also had underwhelming trailers and was also a production nightmare, so I’ll remain somewhat hopeful until I see the film.

Still not convinced that this is going to be anything other than terrible. A story that nobody really wants to hear about. However, I thought the same about Rogue One, and I really enjoyed that.

Will definitely wait for impressions from people from here before I even think about seeing it.

Yikes. I want to like it, but it feels too Michael Bay for a Star Wars film. And I feel like the casting is quite odd, Donald Glover and Woody Harrelson in a Star Wars movie. 

After seeing the trailer before Infinity War a few times now, I have to admit: I’m really starting to warm up to it. 

Pretty cool 360 video for the film:

This'll be the first of the new batch of films I've not bothered going to a midnight screening to watch it. I'll catch it at some point unless it's another Rogue One-esque surprise. 

I actually really enjoyed it. It was nothing epic or mind-blowing, but a really fun adventure in the Star Wars universe. It's the kind of thing I want from these additional films.

It's also really nice to see some small nods to the non-film Star Wars content. 

Yep have to agree with the above, not epic of mind-blowing but really enjoyable.

Also, unlike Rogue One which had a (mostly) horrible cast of characters, the cast list in Solo are all great.