NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

Retro Chat Weekly: Jet Force Gemini

Talk about your memories of the game, waiting for it to arrive, where or when you played it. How much you anticipated it, whether it lived up to your expectations, if you ever beat it, if you've ever been back to it since. Many of these games you may have replayed on Virtual Console or remakes, but try and stick to your first experience of it.

JetForceGemini.jpg

I never actually played this so I can't weigh in!

I can remember being on holiday and reading and re reading a feature on this in N64 magazine, when the characters were still more 'childlike' (Juno was in red, I think) and going from being on the fence to becoming obsessed with this game!

I worked out that if I saved up all my paper round and pocket money from holiday until release I could make the £50 it would cost, and I managed to stay disciplined enough to do just that.

I can remember feeling slightly underwhelmed at first, mainly due to the controls which I found to be very 'loose' compared to something like Goldeneye or Banjo, but after that initial first evening with a game when it feels like your crap at it, the next day I was firing on all cylinders.

I loved the setting, the level/world's, the secret parts, the fact that once you thought it was complete you were actually opening up a whole new part of it ala Ocarina of Time; talk about monies worth, I certainly got mine.

And funnily enough, when I bought Rare Replay for my Xbox One I fired this up in trepidation wondering if I would ruin my great memories of this game. If anything I would say it enhanced them, and reminded me that it was one of the better full price games I bought for my N64.

I never got around to filling out my N-E top 10 of all time, but if this was indeed eligible (pesky rules ;) ) then this would have definitely been in there.

• Thanks 2

This was the game that taught me (pure) 3rd person shooters aren't for me. I hated the game, so I can only assume I didn't get really far in it. I remember almost nothing about it, but I'm confident I borrowed it from someone back in the day.. The only thing I distinctly recall is constantly walking in first person mode, for which you had to hold a button, which I didn't really like obviously.

I actually played this for the first time only a few years back (I think it was in 2014).  I really enjoyed it! I even saved all the damn Tribals!

It's far from perfect.  The environments are a bit sparse, the framerate is pretty poor (but not that bad by N64 standards) and the level design is somewhat repetitive, with lots of winding corridors that all look pretty similar; but I still had a lot of fun with it.  It's a very ambitious game for its time and the gameplay is pretty damn unique still, with an oddball control scheme, a unique blend of platforming and shooting and an interesting weapon setup.  The music (what little there is of it) is also really pretty great, with a sort of Buck Rodgers feel that gets you pumped up for adventure!

I feel that it's the kind of game that could really do with a modern remake or sequel though, to really flesh out the concept and deliver on the grand scale that the game so wants to stand on, but what's here is a good time.  It's probably best played in fairly short bursts, due to the repetitive nature of the level design and you'll likely need a guide to find all the little Tribal buggers, but it's a pretty unique take on the 3rd person shooter that is well worth a play :peace:

Edited by Dcubed

Pure epicness, loved every bit of it and it was one of my favourite N64 games!

Having bought all that Rare produced during the N64 era, this was a no-brainer.  The magazines of the time made it look a very exciting prospect to delve into, too.  And, I wasn't disappointed.  I can't remember any of the finer details of the game itself.  I couldn't tell you the control scheme, and whether it gelled with me, but it must have, because all my memories of it are positive.  I know I finished the game, but don't remember any of the bosses.  I just have a sense of nostalgic enjoyment about this one.  Just like @Kaepora_Gaebora I'd show a lot of trepidation about replaying this one, but with little memory of it, if ever a Rare replay came up on the Switch (go on Microsoft) I'd be up for it.

I played the game at launch and remember being really impressed with its presentation. The lighting and shadows, reflections, blood splatting against the walls... it was all pretty cool stuff at the time. :hehe: The SFX/music was also great, and that disco section is legendary. :cool:

Not replayed it since, but get the feeling it wouldn't be anywhere near as enjoyable today. :blank: Also, I bet the devs are regretting that Jim'll fix it reference now: :shakehead

Spoiler

• Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this