NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Golf Story (Switch)

I'm usually not particularly tempted by many indie titles but Golf Story looks like a lot of fun and I think I may well get this at some point over the next few weeks :hehe:

I've put a couple of hours into the game and I'm finding it to be fantastic on many levels. The writing is quite funny, the characters are charming, the presentation is lovely and the gameplay is top notch.

The game plays very much like the Mario Golf games. You have the standard 3 button swing and then 1 for the putt. For some bizarre reason they changed the putting to 3 button hit in the latest Everybody's Golf on the PS4, so it's nice to get back to basics with this system.

The RPG part of the game has you running around different areas doing tasks for random people. Some will have you play against them in a few rounds of golf, while others will have you feeding fish by hitting bits of food into the water that is nearby.

You gain exp for doing these missions and once leveled up you can increase the stats of your character. I'm still a bit confused how this works though. If I increase my power level then my other stats go down, so I dunno what or how I should be increasing these things.

@Sméagolyou enjoying the game as much as I am?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Sméagolyou enjoying the game as much as I am?

Yup. I'll elaborate after the Mario Kart league, though I've only played for.. about an hour I guess. But having fun so far yes.

Downloading now. So pleased it’s ended up being as good as it looks. 

Is it wrong I’m now wishing you could play the courses online with friends :) Does it have any multiplayer?

Bought this earlier, I'm spending four hours on the train tomorrow so can sink some time into it

So my quick thoughts before I head off to do some Splatoon again:

Yeah I like it a lot. First some nitpicks though: I can't stand the combination of reto pixel graphics and things that aren't pixelated! The font and text ballons are bothering me.. Just like in Ultra Street Fighter :p. I also don't like having to walk with the analogue stick. The d-pad is reserved for selecting clubs, though the need for that while simply walking around escapes me.

But the game is fun. I was reserved at first because Golf in itself doesn't really interest me, but I consider this an RPG with Golf mechanics. For the record, I've never played Mario Golf. The style is great, it's full of charm like you say.. And I love doing the little sidequests. I didn't even bother with that coach yet in the hour I played.. I was getting money from everyone and hitting those switches.. and simply hitting stuff to see if it did something. So there's a great exploration side to it. You need to tee up to see if there's anything interesting beyond the screen

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The RPG part of the game has you running around different areas doing tasks for random people. Some will have you play against them in a few rounds of golf, while others will have you feeding fish by hitting bits of food into the water that is nearby.

You're feeding fish? I missed that part :p. Like I said, I was simply hitting stuff, and I got money from those things :D.

You gain exp for doing these missions and once leveled up you can increase the stats of your character. I'm still a bit confused how this works though. If I increase my power level then my other stats go down, so I dunno what or how I should be increasing these things.

Most likely for balance reasons. The other stats don't always go down when you upgrade power. It's probably to prevent you from upgrading power to quickly. I'm not sure what all those stats do actually, but I like accuracy in general, so I upgraded the 2nd and 3rd skill first. Then I put some in power, and the rest in the other stuff to compensate for the loss in points. There was actually one sidequest I couldn't complete yet because I lacked the power to get the ball to the green in 1 go.

I might hold off getting this for a week or two as I've already got the SNES Mini arriving tomorrow along with Cuphead coming out which I've already bought and then the usual Destiny 2 at night. Still looking forward to playing it though.

Lovely start to the game, just got to level 5 and done a few challenges, for me they've really nailed those classic RPG Golf games.

Music is lovely and soothing too 😊

• Thanks 1

Any indication of the length of this game? Might buy it for the weekend but can't really take on a 30 hour long game at this time.

6 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Any indication of the length of this game? Might buy it for the weekend but can't really take on a 30 hour long game at this time.

Going by the chatter on Gaf, it looks to be pretty lengthy. It could be at least a 20 hour game.

• Like 1

Yet another game added to my eShop watch list. Looking forward to checking this out at some point though.

Reckon I’ll enjoy this more than the latest Everybody’s Golf actually, which isn’t quite as good as I was expecting it to be. :hmm:

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Yet another game added to my eShop watch list. Looking forward to checking this out at some point though.

Reckon I’ll enjoy this more than the latest Everybody’s Golf actually, which isn’t quite as good as I was expecting it to be. :hmm:

Everybody's Golf was also a big disappointment to me. The randomness of the shots and FTP style gameplay killed it for me.

3 hours ago, RedShell said:

I forgot you could add games to a watch list! I think I'll be doing the same with Golf Story :hehe:

Yeah, the wishlist is one of those unintuitive things in the e-shop. It's easy to add stuff to it, but it took a while before I found the actual list. But I did start using it after that..

Anyway, another example of sound through rumble (?):

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

How do you save in the game?

Not played it yet, but do you have some kind of house in the game? My money is on the bed.

Just now, Glen-i said:

Not played it yet, but do you have some kind of house in the game? My money is on the bed.

Tried it. If it did save there was no notification.

It saves automatically but I'm not sure how it triggers.

Great start for the developers. The game is topping the eShop chart in the US and is second ( behind Steamworld Dig 2 ) here in the UK.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

How do you save in the game?

Just quit from the menu and it saves and quits.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

giphy.gif

Anyway, this seems like it would really scratch that Mario Golf/Tennis Game Boy (colour...?) itch.  Might pick it up at some point in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After seeing so many positive impressions this weekend, I'm feeling pretty certain that I'm going to buy this :hehe:

I think I'll wait until I can get Metroid: Samus Returns and Resident Evil VII cleared up first before I invest in Golf Story as I'm already spreading myself too thin at the moment, but once that happens It should be Switch all the way for the rest if 2017 :grin:

Sign in to follow this