NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

The 100 Hardest Video-Game Bosses, Ranked

Vulture have listed what they think are the top 100 hardest video game bosses so I thought it would be interesting to see how many people have beaten themselves.

http://www.vulture.com/article/100-hardest-video-game-bosses-ranked.html

In the top 20 I've only beaten 3 of them, overall I've beaten 20. I dont tend to play hard games like Dark Souls etc as I just find them frustrating so I'm missing quite a few from this list.

• Thanks 1

I've beaten 45 of the 100.
In the top 20 it's 9 for me.

The rest I've never fought against, or I never played the game.

I've also beaten 45 out of the 100.

In the Top 20... I didn't bother counting... mostly because I don't care for all of the inclusions in the list. :p

But yes, most of them are genuinely hard boss battles but I feel like there are loads they missed. ::shrug:

I've beaten 3 out of 100, making me the victor. 4 if you count catching Mewtwo in a Master Ball (which you probably shouldn't).

I've beaten 50, although that's counting Souls bosses I summoned for. It still counts even if someone else did all the work, right?

Happy to see Riku on the list. He almost got me to give up on Kingdom Hearts. And then I got stuck on him again in Chain of Memories and had to put that game aside for over a year because I got so frustrated.

Souls has nothing on Kingdom Hearts.

...Really, they put Mewtwo? I killed him by accident multiple times while trying to catch him with Ultra Balls. And if I had actually used status effects properly, he'd be easy to catch.

Also, lol at the idea of M.Bison being the hardest fighting game boss ever. He isn't even the hardest boss in Street Fighter 2.

Anyway, I defeated 21 of the bosses in that list, which is alright, considering I never played Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

• Like 1

25. 2 in the top 20. Honestly the actual hardest one for me is Shadow of Yharnam at #50. Don’t agree with their list much. 

• Like 1

I have not played most of these games.

Anyway, Although I love Majora's Mask obviously, it has no place in a top 100 of hardest bosses.

Edited by Sméagol

The list starts with Bowser from Mario 64. Not a good start...

I beat 20 total. Only 2 in the top 20. I don't remember Riku being that tough in KH1...

FF8's final boss totally deserves to be there, completely soured the game for me.

Oh, and Boost Guardian is way harder than Spider Guardian. Spider Guardian is total weak sauce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Oh, and Boost Guardian is way harder than Spider Guardian. Spider Guardian is total weak sauce.

Specifically, do you mean on GameCube or Wii?  Apparently they made it slightly easier on Wii, but on GameCube, Spider Guardian was much harder.  It's arguably the hardest thing that's ever been in a Metroid game.

Just now, Grazza said:

Specifically, do you mean on GameCube or Wii?  Apparently they made it slightly easier on Wii, but on GameCube, Spider Guardian was much harder.  It's arguably the hardest thing that's ever been in a Metroid game.

Gamecube, that was my first Metroid Prime to boot. Even on the Wii version, it's still no cakewalk. I still had a bit of trouble on my last playthrough.

18 and none in Top 20.

Spoiler

100    Bowser (SM64)
97    Ghost of lady Comstock (Bioshock Infinite)
91    Queen Zeal (Chrono Trigger)??
90    Tabuu (Smash Bros. Brawl)
88    The airship (Bioshock Infinite)
86    Majora (Zelda: MM)
85    King K. Rool (Donkey Kong 64 - reached, never beaten)
81    Daud (Dishonored)
80    Shadow Queen (Paper Mario)
78     Matriarch Benezia (Mass Effect)
67    Mewtwo (Pokémon Blue)
61    Lavos (Chrono Trigger) ??? 
55    Seth (Street Fighter IV - reached, never beaten)
49    Enchantress (Shovel Knight)
37    Spider guardian (Metroid Prime 2)
35    Doom's Bridge (Catherine)
30    Dark Link (Zelda: OoT)
27    Death Egg Robot (Sonic the Hedgehog 2)

I'm unsure if I ever beat Chrono Trigger - I played the DS version and I think I completed it (one of the endings at least) but I'm not quite sure. Also, some of them I just reached and never beat.

7 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I'm unsure if I ever beat Chrono Trigger - I played the DS version and I think I completed it (one of the endings at least) but I'm not quite sure. Also, some of them I just reached and never beat.

Well, if you saw the credits, you beat Lavos. Queen Zeal is an optional fight though, so that one would be a maybe.

I was expecting to see F-Zero GX Chapter 7 somewhere on the list, or at the very least Chapter 8 or 9 if they were being very strict with their definition of 'boss'. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Agreed. A lot of people say the Spider Guardian's hard, but I never had trouble with him, whereas the Boost Guardian was one of the hardest bosses on the Gamecube.

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

Agreed. A lot of people say the Spider Guardian's hard, but I never had trouble with him, whereas the Boost Guardian was one of the hardest bosses on the Gamecube.

I think the reason a lot of people (including myself) think Spider Guardian is harder is because you need to be able to use your Morph Ball abilities in combat mode, whereas you normally use them at a leisurely pace.  Boost Guardian, on the other hand, mainly requires you to use the 1st-person combat skills you've been honing since the first game.

Skolas in year 1 was absolutely nuts, by far the hardest activity they ever released in Destiny. What they forgot to mention in that article is that you had to play through 4 rounds of Prison of Elders first before getting to Skolas and there were no checkpoints, so you had to beat the whole thing in one sitting. 

Dismantle mines, yeeeeesss? Or you die.

• Like 1

I don’t get how people thought the MP2 Spider Guardian was hard... I found it one of the easiest.

The Boost Guardian however...

• Like 1

Haha, Through The Fire And The Flames. That was hoooorrrriible. 

Was Dark Link regarded as being that difficult, then? Bit surprised to see it so high up on the list. Can't say that I agree with the inclusion of Shadow of Yharnam either and found it to be one of the lesser difficult bosses in the game. Martyr Logarius was haaaaard and that should be there in its place. 

31 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Haha, Through The Fire And The Flames. That was hoooorrrriible. 

Was Dark Link regarded as being that difficult, then? Bit surprised to see it so high up on the list. Can't say that I agree with the inclusion of Shadow of Yharnam either and found it to be one of the lesser difficult bosses in the game. Martyr Logarius was haaaaard and that should be there in its place. 

I never did get Logarius. Fuck him. Shadow of Yharnam isn’t a walk through the park either though. Did they include Ludwig from the DLC? Because that is an absolutely brutal boss with a lot of one hit kills. 

58 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Was Dark Link regarded as being that difficult, then? Bit surprised to see it so high up on the list. 

It's insanely difficult if you go for a sword fight like you do every other encounter in the game. Once you figure out you're not supposed to Z-Target him, you've pretty much beaten him. Or you know... Totally cheese it with the Megaton Hammer or Din's Fire.

12 outta 100 for me, mostly because I haven''t played most of the games on that list.

Zelda II's Dark Link fight can be cheesed as well, Majora is a cakewalk if you use the Fierce Deity mask. He's not really that difficult without it either though,

Sign in to follow this