NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Spelunker Party ( Minna de Waiwai! Spelunker, ) Heads West Next Month

I honestly didn't think this would make it out over here.

Square Enix is bringing Minna de Waiwai! Spelunker, which launched for Switch in Japan on April 20, to North America and Europe as Spelunker Party. It will launch for Switch via the Nintendo eShop and PC via Steam on October 19 for $29.99.

A free demo will be released for Switch on October 7.

Here’s an overview of the game, via Square Enix:

Following the story of Spelunkette and her friends, explorers can adventure solo or with up to four players in local and online multiplayer mode, avoiding dangerous pitfalls, boulders and wicked creations. In multiplayer mode, players can also join together to access new areas and revive teammates. With over 100 thrilling stages to challenge, players will discover Litho-stones hidden throughout each map to unlock new items, equipment and faithful pets to customize their characters and aid in cave exploration.

This is fantastic news...at least for me. I've been wanting to play this ever since seeing a video for it on Youtube when it released in Japan. TOO.MANY.GAMES.

For a split second I read the headline and thought Spelunky was coming to Switch. 

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Dcubed didn't you play around with the Japanese version of it?

I did mess around with the demo on the JPN eShop.  I had a decent time with it; it's good fun and disgustingly twee, which is A-OK by me!

I played through the demo, earlier. Loved it!

I knew this had 4 player multiplayer but was unaware it also had online, as well. I'm very surprised and happy to see that included!

There seems to be a lot more to the game than I thought. You can collect items, upgrade the outfits you find and you can even get a dog or cat to help on your adventure. 

I'd be day one with this if not for my eShop backlog. I may get a couple of games finished before it arrives, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/10/2017 at 8:21 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

you can even get a dog or cat to help on your adventure.

Is that stuff actually available in the demo?

I had a quick go on the Japanese version of it back when that was released, but didn't get too far into it. I remember finding the controls/gameplay to be quite weird, like how you could perfectly jump towards a rope but somehow still miss it and instantly die. :heh:

7 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Is that stuff actually available in the demo?

I had a quick go on the Japanese version of it back when that was released, but didn't get too far into it. I remember finding the controls/gameplay to be quite weird, like how you could perfectly jump towards a rope but somehow still miss it and instantly die. :heh:

Yeah, I got a dog in the demo.

I didn't have any trouble with the controls, other than I kept forgetting you can't just walk off an edge, hold left or right and then expect to grab the rope. You have to jump, even if the fall isn't to steep. I died a few times doing that. :D 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I absolutely hated that, so I haven't touched the demo after only 2 tries. Didn't even finish the first level.

Oh well, good! A game I don't want to buy. I need more of those.

• Haha 1

I wasn't particularly interested in this game, but I saw a demo was available, downloaded it and... I like it a lot more than I expected!  It's a bit strange you have to play as a girl when it's a character as generic as "Spelunkette", and also a bit of a shame you actually have to jump onto a rope, rather than grab it as you fall past, but it's good overall.

It's also a bit strange that the demo ended after I had perfected 1-1, but via restarting it I could get to 1-2 (is it timed?) Anyway, I'm not sure if I will buy it, but I'm definitely interested now.

Yeah, I think it's timed. I managed to complete a few levels and then the demo just randomly ended. I've no idea what the time limit is, though. 

Sign in to follow this