Sméagol

Steamworld Dig 2

49 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Who reads the names?

It's all about those avatars :p

I agree with @Rick

Edited by Sméagol
  • Haha 2

Put some more time into the game this evening. I've managed to upgrade my item bag to max. This unlocks a nice bonus which grants you an extra 30% cash on any items you sell. 

I also unlocked a new bit of gear.

Spoiler

Jet pack! This baby has made getting around a lot more fun. Combine this with the grappling hook and you're in for a great time.

I must have put around 6 hours into the game now and it doesn't seem to be ending any time soon. There's certainly more content on offer here than the original game.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

It'll be a few days before I can see how much hours I've put in.. Having finished the main quest now, I can say I would have liked more content, in the form of more areas, but especially more bosses. I still think it's easily worth the money though, the time I had with it has been incredible fun. The sense of progression is definitely up to par with Metroid. You start with simple digging and running, then you're zipping everywhere with your hookshot, until you just end up flying everywhere. One thing I miss though is an easier way to dig upwards. Blocks above you remain the same obstacle at the end of the game as they were at the start; Which becomes a problem with the final boss, who'd not be that hard actually, if it weren't for that fact. I have some secrets left to find though.

One tip: there's an upgrade which easily let you see secrets. Don't use it. I activated it, and instantly regretted it. Finding the secrets is yourself is more satisfying, and most have plenty of hints anyway.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

@Sméagol just close/quit the game and go to your save file. It shows you your time there. No need to wait for the crazy 10 day limit that the Switch has.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

@Sméagol just close/quit the game and go to your save file. It shows you your time there. No need to wait for the crazy 10 day limit that the Switch has.

Oh right! :indeed:
14:46, I have 81 cogs (dunno how many there are), and 41 artifacts. I have 3 areas at 100 % and the other 3 close to that. I've maxed out all skills as well (regarding tiers, not the cog upgrades, though I have plenty of those as well). I invested heavily in the backpack as well at the start, with 1 or 2 upgrades to your axe.

I went a bit OCD at the end though, wanting to dig up every block you can mine ;).

• Like 1

So that tip about not using the cog skill that let's you see secrets, I mean it :p..
I re-activated it because I couldn't find one of the last secrets I had to find, and when it got highlighted I was kicking myself. Deactivated it once again, and found the last secret on my own, which was the last artifact I needed (the other was a cog).

So.. Getting all artifact opens up another challenges cave (yes plural). It's a tad more difficult than the rest of the game.. :shakehead

Finished the game this evening. Just over 8 hours, 14 deaths ( IIRC ) and around 65% secrets found.

After the credits I cracked on with finding the rest of the secrets. Sadly I'm locked out of 100% due to a glitch. Take note if you're aiming for 100% but have yet to start the game.

When in a cave if you miss a gem there is a chance it won't respawn. The cave will be ticked as complete but you won't have the extra percentage for the gem. This happened in the cave in the Windy Plains area, leaving me at 85% complete in that area.

On the steam forums it appears one of the developers has seen this glitch being discussed and said they will be looking into it.

Despite this set back I loved the game to bits. It's a huge upgrade over the original game and another must have indie game for the Switch. 

I'll put the to one side until they sort a patch out. At least that frees me up for Golf Story. Silver linings and all that. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great news from Image and Form: 

Players are having a blast as well, with the 98% approval rating on Steam being the obvious proof. Everyone's praise results in impressive sales; I'm happy to announce that SWD2 is the biggest launch in SteamWorld history, selling faster than any game we've ever made before it. On Switch it's topping the charts in as good as every country. In less than a week we've already earned back most of the game's total development budget. Twenty or so people for almost a year and a half... You do the math!

Just wish I could have more time to plough into Mario and Rabbids, only just reached the world 2 boss! 

I don't want a massive back log to start forming but I'll be caving and getting Golf Story today, this is next on my list after Rabbids is done.

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora
  • Like 4

Picked this up on PS4/Vita.  Downloaded it to the Vita for portability.  Loving it so far, it's so inviting to explore everywhere and find unlocks and upgrade cogs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Picked this up on PS4/Vita.  Downloaded it to the Vita for portability.  Loving it so far, it's so inviting to explore everywhere and find unlocks and upgrade cogs.

You downloaded this on your Vita? Get with the times man! :p 

• Haha 2

I 100%'d it.... well..... actually I didn't do the final trials :D Turned from incredible;e incredible fun to annoying, but I did the full main game!!

What an amazing game, just 100%'d it. Surely they dropped enough hints in that finale about a Steamworld Dig 3??

Image & Form did brilliant work though, once again.

Spoiler

Sad ending too, definitely packed an emotional punch which I really wasn't expecting

Edited by Ronnie

SteamWorld Dig

content-2-35413-steamworlddigsidebox.jpg

Review of the first game on Switch. :)

Needless to say that SteamWorld Dig 2 is now top of my list...

...when the physical version launches in April. ;)

Expect a review of SteamWorld Dig 2 soon after then.

:peace:

• Like 2

Played through this (and the original game) recently for the first time, absolutely loved it! SteamWorld Dig 2 is easily my favourite indie title on Switch at the moment. :smile:

Will be keeping a close eye on future Image & Form titles from now on, that's for sure.

My initial completion stats:

Spoiler

DZkWMtXVoAAPFwI.jpg:large

And 100%:

Spoiler

DZm6I1yVoAA4MAP.jpg:large

On 27/09/2017 at 9:39 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Finished the game this evening. Just over 8 hours, 14 deaths ( IIRC ) and around 65% secrets found.

After the credits I cracked on with finding the rest of the secrets. Sadly I'm locked out of 100% due to a glitch. Take note if you're aiming for 100% but have yet to start the game.

When in a cave if you miss a gem there is a chance it won't respawn. The cave will be ticked as complete but you won't have the extra percentage for the gem. This happened in the cave in the Windy Plains area, leaving me at 85% complete in that area.

On the steam forums it appears one of the developers has seen this glitch being discussed and said they will be looking into it.

Despite this set back I loved the game to bits. It's a huge upgrade over the original game and another must have indie game for the Switch. 

I'll put the to one side until they sort a patch out. At least that frees me up for Golf Story. Silver linings and all that. :D

Did you ever get back to this, assuming it was patched? I didn't encounter the glitch during my playthrough, but that may have just been luck. :grin:

One thing I'm glad they did fix was the original menu icon for the game (that I somehow ended up with when I first installed it, and had to re-download to update) it was horrific! :shakehead

Not the kind of thing I'd usually be bothered about, but it really was quite offensive: :heh:

DZVAlbgUQAAAI5t.jpg

DZVApslU8AAkawi.jpg

I definitely get why there can be quite a lot of fuss about Switch menu icons. :hehe:

• Thanks 1

Just now, RedShell said:

Did you ever get back to this, assuming it was patched? I didn't encounter the glitch during my playthrough, but that may have just been luck. :grin:

It never did get patched, despite the developers knowing about it. It really annoyed me, especially when they took the time to change something like the icon but left the glitch intact. It honestly soured me on the game and the developer. 

• Sad 1

Fairly late to the party here, but I'm absolutely loving Steamworld Dig 2 despite never really playing a Metroid game before. It's incredibly well done. I think I'm towards the end of the main game now. Does anyone know if there are plans for a sequel?

Nothing official but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a part 3 in the works. If you haven't played part 1 and own a 3DS, you can get the first Steamworld Dig for 90 gold points through My Nintendo though!

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this