NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

The N-Europe top 10 Nintendo games of all time.

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

1. Metroid Prime
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Super Mario 64
4. Pokémon Gold & Silver Version
5. Super Metroid
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. F-Zero GX
8. Super Mario World
9. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
10. Mario Kart 8 DX

7 minutes ago, MoogleViper said:

1. Super Mario 64
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Metroid Prime
4. Pokémon Gold & Silver Version
5. Super Metroid
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. F-Zero GX
8. Super Mario World
10. Mario Kart 8 DX

Ok, which one of you hacked the others account to get some extra votes in?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Ok, which one of you hacked the others account to get some extra votes in?

Oops, that's my fault. Let's just move on now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When coming up with my list I tried to remove myself from any nostalgic feeling. So something like Jet Force Gemini, which I loved back in the day, didn't make the list due to how it plays now. All the games on the list I have played in recent years and all of them hold up.

I also tried to limit myself to one entry per franchise, otherwise the list would have had more Mario platformers on it. I did break this rule once though as I couldn't justify leaving ALTTP off the list. 

So, here are my entries.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  4. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  5. Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
  6. Banjo-Kazooie
  7. Kirby Triple Deluxe
  8. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  10. Golden Sun
Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Oooooh, Wario Land: The Shake Dimension, nice one! I have to replay that one again sometime soon, loved it to bits!

On 24/09/2017 at 8:06 PM, Ronnie said:

After this is finished I might do a top 10 games from any publisher on the general gaming board, that could be fun and a bit less heated!

Would defo be keen on this! Lists might be a touch more varied too. 

Anyway, in b4 deadline on the ninty list

1 - Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time - Just a perfect game. Simple but effective bildungsroman, great dungeons, the best score, archetypal, amazing, first console game I ever played and still one of the very best.

2 - Pokemon Gold / Silver - Still plays great, before the games got (visually) too gross and childish for my taste. Also epic in scope; that final battle with trainer red is one of the GOAT gaming moments

3 - Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild - Could yet rise higher but for my shame (or lack of rushing) I've still not completed it! Regardless, 100% lives up to what I wanted Zelda to become when I first played through the first on my list. Beautiful timeless graphics, feels like a true adventure.

4 - Diddy Kong Racing - Surprised there are no votes for this beast! Better than any Mario Kart game, hard as nails toward the end, fun boss battles, planes are well implemented, holds up great today

5 - Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - Gameplay across this series is impeccable. An unpopular opinion but I much preferred the art style and plot of this one. Felt a bit like Grapes of Wrath / the road or something.

6 - Lylat Wars - Top arcade shooter, top bants with the crew. Love the multiple endings & the sci fi references scattered throughout.

7 - Mario Kart: Double Dash - best multiplayer of the series. Crucially has the mode with all 4 cups as a one-er; an epic 45 minute endurance battle, like a premier league season. Still play it loads

8 - Golden Sun - Possibly the most dated of my list in hindsight, but just a fantastic little RPG with an epic scope.

9 - Pokemon Red / Blue - Lacks the quality of life improvements of Gold / Silver but still holds up brilliantly and has some of the eccentric weirdness and darkness lost in the later games. The Mewtwo stuff on Cinnibar island is great.

10 - Warioware - How they've not resurrected this franchise is beyond me. Bloody great fun!

7 minutes ago, dan-likes-trees said:

9 - Pokemon Red / Blue - Lacks the quality of life improvements of Gold / Silver but still holds up brilliantly and has some of the eccentric weirdness and darkness lost in the later games.

That's not really true. Pokemon has plenty of dark moments. Just read up on Ghost type Pokedex descriptions these days. Then there's the 3DS ghost girls, which never really got explained. Black 2/White 2 has a straight up murder attempt. X/Y's backstory literally involves a war that culminates in thousands of Pokemon having the life drained out of them by Yveltal. And that's still pretty weak sauce when you compare it to the crap that goes down in the Mystery Dungeon games. The third game has a freaking suicide cult and an on-screen death. (Bloodless, obviously, but still)

24 minutes ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Would defo be keen on this! Lists might be a touch more varied too.

I'll sort a thread possibly this week, though kind of tempted to wait till after Odyssey comes out ;)

Oh and you should definitely finish BOTW, Hyrule Castle is great fun

Man, it's so tough to put together a list like this! :shakehead

In the end I just chose a game from each system, not including the Switch.

1. WarioWare D.I.Y. (NDS) 2009
  2. Super Mario Maker (Wii U) 2015
  3. Super Mario Kart (SNES) 1992
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB) 1993
  5. Rhythm Tengoku (GBA) 2006
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) 1998
  7. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) 2012
  8. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) 1988
  9. Chibi-Robo! (GCN) 2005
  10. Wii Music (Wii) 2008 https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/RewardingLastBrownbutterfly :heh:

Had Switch been included then MK8 Deluxe would have probably replaced SMK (as much as I love that game, it's hard to deny that MK8 is the pinnacle of the series now) or Breath of the Wild would have replaced Ocarina of Time.

but mario maker > mario kart 8 and breath of the wild? I know deluxe has a proper battle mode, but botw, aside from portability has no real difference in the game itself...
Anyway, I'm pleased to see the original mario kart appear here, in my opinion after MK8 (and MK8:D if you count that separately) the best mario kart produced - it took over a decade to make a version that out shone that original!

Tricky Tricky!

1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time

2. Paper Mario TTYD (hence avatar)

3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

4. Zelda: Link to the Past

5. Chibi-Robo

6. Mario Kart 8

7. Yoshi's Island

8. Super Mario Galaxy 2

9. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

10. Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat

4 hours ago, Pestneb said:

but mario maker > mario kart 8 and breath of the wild?

I just really love games where you can customise/create stuff, find it so rewarding. They also offer far more longevity too, every time I play SMM (whether playing other people’s levels or creating my own) the experience is always incredibly different. It’s something that I could basically play indefinitely without ever getting bored.

Think I'm just in time! This is hard! 

1) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

2) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 

3) Super Mario 64

4) Super Smash Bros. Melee

5) Pokémon Red/Blue

6) Xenoblade Chronicles 

7) Super Mario Galaxy 

8) Fire Emblem Awakening

9) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

10) Mario Kart 8

Edited by Mr-Paul

I'll try and get the results for this tallied up by tomorrow evening. Been extremely busy over the last couple of weeks and ended up forgetting about this...

If anyone else would like to vote, you have until tomorrow evening. I'll try to publish the results between 8 and 10pm UK time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the results have been tallied and verified by an independent adjudicator... I'd like to thank all 26 people who voted. This is the definitive N-Europe list of the BEST games ever published by Nintendo. 

Let's start from the bottom. 

Coming in with a grand total of one point: YOUR favourite Nintendo games ever ranked in tied 94th place:

Spoiler

Advance Wars: Dual Strike (NDS)

screenshot.jpg

Elite Beat Agents (NDS)

elite-beat-agents-20061101043440202.jpg

"Frog Game Thing" (Thanks @bob) (GBA) I hope this image is correct.....

frogger-s-adventures-temple-of-the-frog-

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

cda.540x302.jpeg

Mario Golf (3DS)

51q7KVVn60L.jpg

Starfox Assault (GCN)

521836.jpg

Warioware (GBA) 

hqdefault.jpg

Wii Music (Wii)

it-looks-like-nintendo-is-working-on-a-w

Wii Sports Resort (Wii)

wii-sports-resort-review-archery.jpg

But the fun doesn't stop there! Here are the games that managed TWO points and as a result are tied 89th place:

Spoiler

Kirby Superstar Ultra (NDS)

50257-Kirby_Super_Star_Ultra_(EU)(M5)(BA

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)

130325_review_luigismansion_featured.jpg

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (3DS)

hqdefault.jpg

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)

gfs_125515_2_5.jpg

Pikmin 2 (GCN)

latest?cb=20130604000056

More will be revealed tomorrow!

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

It's "For The Frog The Bell Tolls"! Honestly, what kind of cheap, second rate poll is this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Starfox Assault (GCN)

521836.jpg

Amazing how the above looks better than a game two gens later

WVW69jJ0fakC2AB0o8.jpeg

Nintendo obviously makes amazing games, and the Wii U had plenty of brilliant ones, but the last year of it's life with Starfox Zero, Animal Crossing Amiibo Thing and Mario Tennis... ouch.

I'm no Graphics junkie, but you gotta be careful that Assault picture isn't bumped up in resolution via Emulator.

Yeah fair enough, was speaking more art style wise. Zero looks like 64 game in style

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah fair enough, was speaking more art style wise. Zero looks like 64 game in style

Considering it's pretty much a retelling of LylatWars, I'm thinking that was completely intentional.

Welcome to part two of the TOP Nintendo published games of all time as voted for by you lovely people. 

So Skyward Sword eh? Only managed one point. A surprise, or generally expected? Honestly it made me a little sad. 

Lets have a look at which games managed three points then, including the first N64 game and the second Zelda game on the list....

Spoiler

1080 Avalanche (GCN)

66063-1080_Avalanche-4.jpg

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)

44178-Golden_Sun_2_-_The_Lost_Age_(U)(Me

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

Hilda-Zelda-hilda-and-zelda-30849860-500

Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)

hqdefault.jpg

WaveRace (N64)

Lens-Flare.gif

More tomorrow!

• Haha 4

The final count is void because my expert views weren't consulted.

Lol at the people who think you can somehow sift nostalgia out from the lists, or think that desirable in the first place. We're all going to have slightly different rationales so there's no point getting anal about them. For example, I could've included GoldenEye for a bit of variety in my list, but I hold Mario games very dear and it would be remiss of me to pretend otherwise. Other people might have given in to the impetus to favour variety. Plus, the logic behind my own list isn't even internally consistent, so there's no chance of reaching a shared logic between the group.

I understand I'm too late but I'll post for myself if nothing else:

1) Metroid Prime

2) Super Mario 64

3) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

4) Super Smash Bros. Melee

5) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

6) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

7) WarioWare, Inc: Mega Party Game$

8) Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64)

9) Diddy Kong Racing

10) Wario Land 4

Kind of disgusted with myself that Mario Kart DS and some of the 2D Marios didn't make the cut, particularly Super Mario Land 2: 6 Gold Coins, which nobody ever seems to talk about here? I guess Mario preferences are largely a matter of timing and nostalgia, and SML2 arrived at the right time in my gaming development. In a similar vein, Kid A is my favourite Radiohead album, perhaps by virtue of it being my gateway into the band. Super Mario World was also worth a shout in the above list but I first came across it on Wii's Virtual Console, so it had less of a chance to work its charms. Warioland: Super Mario Land 3 was another one that people neglect. Something about that GameBoy series escapes the collective memory, man! Overall, pretty happy with the list though. Much easier than I was expecting.

Shame I wasn't able to bump Breath of the Wild up higher in the final results to counteract the ungrateful philistines lurking in this cess pit you call a gaming board!

Edited by dwarf

Sign in to follow this