NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

The N-Europe top 10 Nintendo games of all time.

Yeah looking good, but how come Mario Kart 8 is above Pokemon Red/Blue in the second list but not the first?

Here's by console:

Gamecube: 3
SNES: 2
N64: 2
Wii: 1
Gameboy: 1
Switch: 1

(Suspect the Switch would have two if we'd done this list in a couple of months)

Edited by Ronnie

That second list is solid, @Pestneb. Can't really fault it. That said, Explorers of Sky. A lot of people make that mistake.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah looking good, but how come Mario Kart 8 is above Pokemon Red/Blue in the second list but not the first?

Here's by console:

Gamecube: 3
SNES: 2
N64: 2
Wii: 1
Gameboy: 1
Switch: 1

(Suspect the Switch would have two if we'd done this list in a couple of months)

I wondered if that was a mistake myself, but basically it's a quirk of the data. The first list places emphasis on how "deep" N-E loves each series, while the second looks more at the breadth of N-E's Nintendo love.

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

That second list is solid, @Pestneb. Can't really fault it. That said, Explorers of Sky. A lot of people make that mistake.

probably because of the no. 10 entry? ;) Thanks for the heads up, I've fixed it now!

• Like 1

Well, so far 20 people have voted, there are 84 games on the list and there is obviously already a clear winner (probably unsurprising). There are a couple of surprises in the top 10, but obviously everything will remain secret until everyone is ready to hear the results and a few more people have voted.

• Like 1

Are we going to have a deadline? Do we need to start tagging mofos in dis thread?

tagging might not be a bad idea. Would be nice if all (most) of the staff had their say though...

10 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

almost enough to have an N-E top 100!

We had one of those a few years back. It was epic!

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

We had one of those a few years back. It was epic!

I have a vague memory of that! Would be interesting to see how that list compares to the games we have now... are there any that have dropped off etc...

I don't think I've seen your top ten yet.. did I miss it??

4 hours ago, Pestneb said:

I wondered if that was a mistake myself, but basically it's a quirk of the data. The first list places emphasis on how "deep" N-E loves each series, while the second looks more at the breadth of N-E's Nintendo love.

But aren't the two results tables calculated the same way? How can Mario Kart 8 be above Red/Blue in the second one if it doesn't have more points?

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

But aren't the two results tables calculated the same way? How can Mario Kart 8 be above Red/Blue in the second one if it doesn't have more points?

@Nicktendo is the one calculating the official results. @Pestneb is going by his interpretation from reading everyone's highest rating games. At least, that's how I think they've done it.

EDIT: Or Pestneb calculated the second list while ignoring 2nd franchise entries. So in my list for example, Mother 3 would get 9 points despite coming 3rd, because Explorers of Sky would have been discounted for the 2nd 1 entry per franchise list.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

@Nicktendo is the one calculating the official results. @Pestneb is going by his interpretation from reading everyone's highest rating games. At least, that's how I think they've done it.

Correct, and the total points for all the games adds up to 1100 (55pts per vote x 20) so at least I know I've done it right :grin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup. Basically what Glen-i said, though I'm just commenting on the thread, I have no official role or anything - Nicktendo is in charge. I'm maybe more like an exit poll, Nicktendo will be the official result. But basically my forecast is that the top ten is shaping up to be quite nice!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah. I haven't done one.

Are you gonna do one? I won't lie, I'm certainly interested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I can just hold back on the results until H-o-T has had his say ;)

13 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

I can just hold back on the results until H-o-T has had his say ;)

I've been bugging @Dcubed to do one as well.

Hurry up!

31 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Probably not. To be honest I doubt  it would be anything special. It would probably be full of safe/standard choices and would no doubt annoy you with the inclusion of an old school Pokemon game. :p 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Probably not. To be honest I doubt  it would be anything special. It would probably be full of safe/standard choices and would no doubt annoy you with the inclusion of an old school Pokemon game. :p 

Hey, Pokemon Trading Card Game is a perfectly good game!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So far it's

1. Ocarine of Time
2. Smash Melee
3. Metroid Prime
4. Super Mario World
5. The Wind Waker
6. Mario Kart 8
7. Breath of the Wild
8. Super Metroid
9. Pokemon Red/Blue
10. Pokemon Gold/Silver

With Mario 64 and Galaxy 2 just missing the cut. Very surprised I thought 64/a Galaxy game would be higher. Plenty more time though...

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

So far it's

1. Ocarine of Time
2. Smash Melee
3. Metroid Prime
4. Super Mario World
5. The Wind Waker
6. Mario Kart 8
7. Breath of the Wild
8. Super Metroid
9. Pokemon Red/Blue
10. Pokemon Gold/Silver

With Mario 64 and Galaxy 2 just missing the cut. Very surprised I thought 64/a Galaxy game would be higher. Plenty more time though...

Breath of the Wild can't be in that list, due to the "2 entries per franchise" rule.

Edited by Glen-i

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Hey, Pokemon Trading Card Game is a perfectly good game!

Indeed it is. I love that game. It still annoys me that we didn't get the sequel in English! 

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Breath of the Wild can't be in that list, due to the "2 entries per franchise" rule.

Gooooooooooooooooooood. :D 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I figured that was only for voting purposes so as to get a greater range of games, but sure if people would rather it apply to the final table as well then Mario 64 gets in at 10:

1. Ocarine of Time
2. Smash Melee
3. Metroid Prime
4. Super Mario World
5. The Wind Waker
6. Mario Kart 8
7. Breath of the Wild
7. Super Metroid
8. Pokemon Red/Blue
9. Pokemon Gold/Silver
10. Super Mario 64

Edited by Ronnie