NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

The N-Europe top 10 Nintendo games of all time.

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Ok am I going nutes or is the font size changing in some people's lists?

It definitely fluctuates in Kav's.

PS - Sorry, I feel partly responsible for the chaos in this thread. :laughing:

@Nicktendo, do you want to edit your first point so the rules reflect what we're actually going with? I.e.

* Two games per franchise

* 10 games, ranked for scoring purposes

* no nostalgia allowed

* or maybe nostalgia is allowed

* nostalgia is allowed, but you have to justify to Ronnie why you're picking it

* If you pull the tail of the Golden Monkey, pick a Wicked Wango card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, bob said:

@Nicktendo, do you want to edit your first point so the rules reflect what we're actually going with? I.e.

* Two games per franchise
* 10 games, ranked for scoring purposes
*no nostalgia allowed
*or maybe nostalgia is allowed
*nostalgia is allowed, but you have to justify to Ronnie why you're picking it

Will do so when I get home, I'll also try and tally up the current results from the thread.

1) Legend of Zelda: OoT (N64)

2) Super Mario World (SNES)

3) Pokémon Blue (GBC)

4) Pilotwings (SNES)

5) Exitebike (NES)

6) Blastcorps (N64)

7) Animal Crossing (GC)

8) Goldeneye (N64)

9) F Zero X (N64)

10) Smash Bros Melee (GC)

Side note, never played any Metroid game!

OK, here are mine:

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker -  Nintendo at its zenith

2. Metroid Fusion - Metroid never got better...

3. Metroid: Zero Mission - ...apart from perhaps this

4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - a genuinely involving experience

5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - I've played it quite recently and it really does hold up.  The peak example of 2D Zelda.

6. Fire Emblem: Awakening - easily amongst the best on the 3DS

7. Super Mario World - Mario at its 2D best

8. Super Mario Sunshine - the most appealing 3D Mario

9. Pilotwings Resort - One of the most amazing Nintendo experiences I've had.  Would be a great franchise to revisit in VR.

10. F-Zero GX - a GameCube classic

1. F-Zero X
2. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
3. Banjo Kazooie
4. Pokemon Red
5. Perfect Dark
6. F-Zero GX
7. Star Fox 64
8. Super Metroid
9. Super Mario World
10. Advance Wars Dual Strike

Edited by Mandalore
peer pressure

1. The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64/3DS)

2. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)

3. Kuru Kuru Kururin (GBA)

4. Pokémon Silver (GB)

5. Mario Kart DS (DS)

6. Super Mario World (SNES)

7. Super Mario 64 (N64)

8. Super Metroid (SNES)

9. The Legend Of Zelda:The Wind Waker (GC/Wii U)

10. F-Zero X (N64)

Edited by killthenet
Because The Wind Waker is better than Perfect Dark.

21 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Star Fox 64
Perfect Dark
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Banjo Kazooie
Super Metroid
Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

is that in ascending or descending order?

Edited by Pestneb

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Your hatred for gen 1 lovers always amuses me. Anytime someone mentioned Red or Blue I instantly think of how you will react. Actually, what is your favourite mainline Pokemon game, @Glen-i?

I wouldn't say "hatred", per se. More like, intolerarant of utter incorrectness. Besides, I do not overreact.

NOT ONE BIT!

Anyway, maybe you'll find out what the correct mainline game is if you read my list.

Spoiler

10. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

d6e26ce444f0cc48e905bb83993e6619.jpg

Definitely one of the most devisive of the Zelda series, mostly due to it's amazing controls. I, however, loved it. The combat is the high point of the whole franchise, which is pretty notorious for it's less-than-average combat. The characters are entertaining and likable, and the story actually had me well up at one point. That said, minor niggles stop it from getting higher in the list. A Wind Waker HD treatment would certainly be welcome, as long as the motion controls stay. Aiming a Bow has never felt as satisfying since. Thanks for that Wii Sports Resort.

9. Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS)

zv3hZD.gif

If someone who's never played Kirby asked me what one I'd recommend, it'd be this one. Simple to learn, easy to finish the main game. But like a true Kirby game, becomes fiendishly difficult to 100%. This remake of the SNES game introduced the True Arena. A boss rush for absolute masochists complete with an exclusive boss. Not to mention the other 3 new games for this DS bundle of awesome. Seriously, if you haven't played this or the SNES original, you fail as a Nintendo gamer.

8. Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)

latest?cb=20100731171503

The second part of the Golden Sun series decided to follow up a cliffhanger with going to a completely different protaganist. A weird move, that's for sure. What follows is one of the GBA's must-have games for RPG fans. Impressive visuals, amazing soundtrack secrets galore, awesome rewards for people who finished the first game and particle effects up the wazzoo! Both games are on the WiiU, go on. Give them a go! Watch out for Djinn Storm, though. To be fair, this and the first game do kinda combine into one big game.

7. Metroid Other M (Wii)

24162859924_4ec2e928b5_o.gif

Some people play Metroid games for the exploration, some play it for the atmosphere and others play it for the story apparently? Well, those story people are stupid. I play Metroid because it's fun. And you don't get more fun than baby-fest Other M. Playing as Samus here actually makes me feel badass. Sure, it's plot is idiotic, the lava run is hilariously dumb and I'm pretty sure Adam is trying to kill you, but who cares when it's so satisfying to kill things. Also, hard mode is amazing!

6. Pokemon Black/White (DS)

tumblr_mmlry9Uo1c1qlh7rxo1_500.gif

You know how some people want a reboot of Pokemon? Well yeah, that kinda already happened. And it was amazing. Unova boasted 155 completely new Pokemon, the most the series has ever introduced, and more importantly, not a single old one showed up (Well, until you finish the game). Not even Pikachu reared its overused head here. Leading to a game of discovery we hadn't seen since the originals. Everything was new, every new area promised new Pokemon to find. And oh boy, there were some awesome Pokemon. Here are just a few of my favourites.

Spoiler

scrafty_by_glen_i-d7slvxn.jpg

hat__2017__by_glen_i-dayldjl.png

kasalot_by_glen_i-d7sdf8r.jpg

seismitoad_by_glen_i-d7s6ohy.jpg

my_favorite_steel_type_2014__excadrill_by_generalgibby-d7o1loy.png

I drew most of these, except Excadrill, something I need to fix.

The soundtrack is tops, the story is surprisingly good. (You're not the Champion by the time the credits roll) Screw Red/Blue, this is the greatest Pokemon game.

5. Majora's Mask (N64)

04d7c9b5b0601bd3de3c1bdbfd50df729c3f555a_hq.gif

As much as I love Skyward Sword, Majora's Mask beats it be to my favourite Zelda game, purely because of how special and unique it is. There's the strange setting, the surprisingly harsh difficulty by Zelda standards and the constant threat of the Moon slowly falling towards Termina. It's a very tense and foreboding experience. But where this game shines is the sidequests, which involve all sorts of stories about NPC's that quite frankly, put BOTW to shame. Oh, and did I mention the soundtrack? Because it's beautiful.

4. Super Smash Bros For Nintendo 3DS (3DS)

Do I really need to explain why this game is awesome? Because I shouldn't. You can pit Mario against Pikachu against Pac-Man against Link against Cloud against Bayonetta against Ryu against Mega Man. Any gamer would have positively wet themselves at that fight 10 years ago. It's amazing this game exists. And my constant weekly 8-player Smashes at my local community centre on the WiiU version stand as testament to that. 3DS has the better content though. Tough choice...

3. Mother 3 (GBA)

tumblr_mx078dc6Ib1t2frpuo1_500.gif

The sooner this game comes out in the west, the better. But this game is a flat out masterpiece. I won't go into anything due to how few people have played it, but seriously, the moment this comes out, play it.

2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

tumblr_m6m3kcag9T1qguy4wo1_500.gif

Come on, I mean, come on. You knew this would be here. I adore this game. The story is amazing, the visuals have a wonderful charm to them, the soundtrack is god-tier and the gameplay is just the right balance of challenging, but not overly harsh. I could go on and on about the many reasons why I like this game. But we'd be here forever. BTW, my current avatar is based on this game, where Kecleons are the scariest thing ever.

1. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

maxresdefault.jpg

Take Explorers of Sky, update it with the latest (at the time) Pokemon and add in a ridiculous amount of sidequests to recruit over 750 Pokemon and you've got one hell of a game. Sure, the story isn't quite as great as Explorers of Sky (It's still pretty good), but it somehow manages to outdo it in every other aspect. It's one hell of a challenging game and is not shy of making you pay for a tiny mistake. The soundtrack is as brilliant as I've come to expect from the series, the Pokemon selection focuses on not one single game, (Something not even current Pokemon games does) and I happily burned over 200 hours into this. Believe me, I've got the Kecleon to prove it.

Honourable Mentions are Metroid: Zero Mission, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pestneb said:

is that in ascending or descending order?

Does it need to be in any particular order? It was hard enough narrowing it down to just 10.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Does it need to be in any particular order? It was hard enough narrowing it down to just 10.

For scoring purposes it does, unfortunately.

I wouldn't say "hatred", per se. More like, intolerarant of utter incorrectness. Besides, I do not overreact.
NOT ONE BIT!
Anyway, maybe you'll find out what the correct mainline game is if you read my list.
Spoiler

10. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

d6e26ce444f0cc48e905bb83993e6619.jpg

Definitely one of the most devisive of the Zelda series, mostly due to it's amazing controls. I, however, loved it. The combat is the high point of the whole franchise, which is pretty notorious for it's less-than-average combat. The characters are entertaining and likable, and the story actually had me well up at one point. That said, minor niggles stop it from getting higher in the list. A Wind Waker HD treatment would certainly be welcome, as long as the motion controls stay. Aiming a Bow has never felt as satisfying since. Thanks for that Wii Sports Resort.

9. Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS)

zv3hZD.gif

If someone who's never played Kirby asked me what one I'd recommend, it'd be this one. Simple to learn, easy to finish the main game. But like a true Kirby game, becomes fiendishly difficult to 100%. This remake of the SNES game introduced the True Arena. A boss rush for absolute masochists complete with an exclusive boss. Not to mention the other 3 new games for this DS bundle of awesome. Seriously, if you haven't played this or the SNES original, you fail as a Nintendo gamer.

8. Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)

latest?cb=20100731171503

The second part of the Golden Sun series decided to follow up a cliffhanger with going to a completely different protaganist. A weird move, that's for sure. What follows is one of the GBA's must-have games for RPG fans. Impressive visuals, amazing soundtrack secrets galore, awesome rewards for people who finished the first game and particle effects up the wazzoo! Both games are on the WiiU, go on. Give them a go! Watch out for Djinn Storm, though. To be fair, this and the first game do kinda combine into one big game.

7. Metroid Other M (Wii)

24162859924_4ec2e928b5_o.gif

Some people play Metroid games for the exploration, some play it for the atmosphere and others play it for the story apparently? Well, those story people are stupid. I play Metroid because it's fun. And you don't get more fun than baby-fest Other M. Playing as Samus here actually makes me feel badass. Sure, it's plot is idiotic, the lava run is hilariously dumb and I'm pretty sure Adam is trying to kill you, but who cares when it's so satisfying to kill things. Also, hard mode is amazing!

6. Pokemon Black/White (DS)

tumblr_mmlry9Uo1c1qlh7rxo1_500.gif

You know how some people want a reboot of Pokemon? Well yeah, that kinda already happened. And it was amazing. Unova boasted 155 completely new Pokemon, the most the series has ever introduced, and more importantly, not a single old one showed up (Well, until you finish the game). Not even Pikachu reared its overused head here. Leading to a game of discovery we hadn't seen since the originals. Everything was new, every new area promised new Pokemon to find. And oh boy, there were some awesome Pokemon. Here are just a few of my favourites.
Spoiler

scrafty_by_glen_i-d7slvxn.jpg

hat__2017__by_glen_i-dayldjl.png

kasalot_by_glen_i-d7sdf8r.jpg

seismitoad_by_glen_i-d7s6ohy.jpg

my_favorite_steel_type_2014__excadrill_by_generalgibby-d7o1loy.png

I drew most of these, except Excadrill, something I need to fix.
The soundtrack is tops, the story is surprisingly good. (You're not the Champion by the time the credits roll) Screw Red/Blue, this is the greatest Pokemon game.

5. Majora's Mask (N64)

04d7c9b5b0601bd3de3c1bdbfd50df729c3f555a_hq.gif

As much as I love Skyward Sword, Majora's Mask beats it be to my favourite Zelda game, purely because of how special and unique it is. There's the strange setting, the surprisingly harsh difficulty by Zelda standards and the constant threat of the Moon slowly falling towards Termina. It's a very tense and foreboding experience. But where this game shines is the sidequests, which involve all sorts of stories about NPC's that quite frankly, put BOTW to shame. Oh, and did I mention the soundtrack? Because it's beautiful.

4. Super Smash Bros For Nintendo 3DS (3DS)

Do I really need to explain why this game is awesome? Because I shouldn't. You can pit Mario against Pikachu against Pac-Man against Link against Cloud against Bayonetta against Ryu against Mega Man. Any gamer would have positively wet themselves at that fight 10 years ago. It's amazing this game exists. And my constant weekly 8-player Smashes at my local community centre on the WiiU version stand as testament to that. 3DS has the better content though. Tough choice...

3. Mother 3 (GBA)

tumblr_mx078dc6Ib1t2frpuo1_500.gif

The sooner this game comes out in the west, the better. But this game is a flat out masterpiece. I won't go into anything due to how few people have played it, but seriously, the moment this comes out, play it.

2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

tumblr_m6m3kcag9T1qguy4wo1_500.gif

Come on, I mean, come on. You knew this would be here. I adore this game. The story is amazing, the visuals have a wonderful charm to them, the soundtrack is god-tier and the gameplay is just the right balance of challenging, but not overly harsh. I could go on and on about the many reasons why I like this game. But we'd be here forever. BTW, my current avatar is based on this game, where Kecleons are the scariest thing ever.

1. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

maxresdefault.jpg

Take Explorers of Sky, update it with the latest (at the time) Pokemon and add in a ridiculous amount of sidequests to recruit over 750 Pokemon and you've got one hell of a game. Sure, the story isn't quite as great as Explorers of Sky (It's still pretty good), but it somehow manages to outdo it in every other aspect. It's one hell of a challenging game and is not shy of making you pay for a tiny mistake. The soundtrack is as brilliant as I've come to expect from the series, the Pokemon selection focuses on not one single game, (Something not even current Pokemon games does) and I happily burned over 200 hours into this. Believe me, I've got the Kecleon to prove it.
Honourable Mentions are Metroid: Zero Mission, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Are we gonna let him have 3 Pokemon games guys? Especially since none of them are Red/Blue?

3 minutes ago, bob said:

Are we gonna let him have 3 Pokemon games guys? Especially since none of them are Red/Blue?

If Mario Kart counts as seperate genre, than PMD totally counts as well.

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

If Mario Kart counts as seperate genre, than PMD totally counts as well.

It does.  It's primarily Mystery Dungeon, not Pokémon.

• Thanks 1

I love Glen's enthusiasm for the MD series. I really need to get around to playing them, especially EoS. I've always wanted to played a Pokemon game that has a good story. I have PSMD sitting on my shelf, as well.

• Thanks 1

Phew. Boy, that was hard. Excluding games from this list was excruciating. But I've decided:

10. Elite Beat Agents: My favourite DS game, and the best rhythm game I've ever played, the style and presentation really make it something special, and give meaning to each music in a way that most other rhythm games don't. It's a shame it didn't do well in sales, because I really think a game like this could've been a hell of a hit at the right time.

9. F-Zero GX: Sega's arcade prowess with a Nintendo franchise is a match made in heaven. Not only is this the best racing game ever, it gives us one of the hardest and most rewarding single-player experiences in gaming (Dark Souls? Psh, that game is the F-Zero GX of action games), alongside an impeccable presentation that has somehow resisted the test of time. The only downside is the lack of good multiplayer, but if it had something like that, it would easily top this list.

8. Super Mario 64: Platforming at its finest. No wasting time with cutscenes, no impossible collectibles, a main character that's fun to play, genuinely challenging levels, an impressive amount of aesthetic variety, and a genuine sense of openness: you're exploring worlds, instead of solving obstacle courses, and these worlds actually reward you for exploring and experimenting. This doesn't merely have a place in gaming history as the game that codified 3D movement, it's a genuine masterpiece all on its own. Odyssey has gigantic shoes to fill.

7. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Much like Mario 64, this game didn't just codify 3D action-adventures, it's an excellent game all on its own. It hits all the right design notes, and I wish modern adventure games would take better note of how this game hides its clues (the hookshot was great because it worked on trees, roofs and chests. Modern games, please stop using detective mode and obvious cues that tell you precisely what to do and where to go next). Also, I love this game's plot. Ganondorf is a terrifically written villain, and I still love the fact that he just wins in the middle of the game. The fact that he ruined the world you were exploring hits so much harder than if he had been king from the beginning. It feels like a grand adventure, not only because you grow, but also because the world changes alongside you. It transmits this idea with so much more than words. For these reasons, OoT still feels like one of the best games in the franchise that excels at grand adventures.

6. Super Metroid: Speaking of games that don't need words, can you say "immersive"? Take what I said about interacting with an unassuming world and make an entire game that's just that. It's so well designed, from the obstacles made to teach you how to play, to the visual and musical cues that serve as clues about the world you're exploring, to the depth provided by the secret techniques... And it even tells a plot with no words (besides the original narration). This game created a genre, and for good reason.

5. Pokémon Gold & Silver: Man, forget Red&Blue. That game had no post-game content besides Mewtwo, and you needed to restart someone's save file to complete the Pokédex. Counterproductive. This generation introduced breeding (which allows for a crazy amount of micromanaging and experimentation), a schedule for the player to follow, awesome post-game content, and tons of secrets that kept you playing for ages. I admit this is more of a social, multiplayer experience, but I'm not deducting points for that.

4. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker: It does that thing that Ocarina did, but with a better look, better music, better hidden clues, more secrets to find, more fun to play, and a different message for its plot (one that I like more). It's the best Zelda at being Zelda (we'll see about BotW when I eventually get to it)

3. Fire Emblem (Blazing Blade): I love games that test my wits. Unfortunately, most strategy games fall more into the "prepare properly" kind of strategy, rather than the chess-like quick thinking I like most. The Fire Emblem series, however, fully embraces the idea of throwing you into situations and allowing you to figure out your own solution with the tools you have. Coupled with great visuals, music, fast-paced gameplay and surprisingly fleshed out casts, it became one of my favourite series of all time, Blazing Blade chief among them. It has the best mix of simple mechanics, well-written characters, varied objectives and replayability. Every FE game feels different, and this one hits all the right notes for me.

2. Metroid Prime: Ok, now take what I said about Super Metroid, and add (optional) words to it. Now we have a game that's unobtrusively designed AND has a lot of depth to its lore and world building. What cinches Metroid Prime into being so high up the list is how well it controls. Very few of the design conventions of FPSes (such as ammo) are found here, which is what makes it ingenious. It allows you to aim at weak points without thinking about it, move quickly and do some platforming despite being first-person, and even some dynamic exciting fights with blade-wielding enemies... all of this makes it so we focus on what truly matters about this game: exploration. The level design has a couple of hiccups, but aside from those hiccups, everything else is so well made that it deserves this spot.

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee: I love me some fighting games. Love me some Nintendo characters. Love me an extensive single-player mode with tons of stuff to do and unlock. Love me a fun multiplayer party game with tons and tons of options and/or house rules. Love me pausing the game and somehow finding something to admire every time I do (that Bowser still looks amazing, the cartoony animation in this game is spot-on). Love me a robust gamelay engine that provides astonishing amounts of depth to movement, pacing and literally every aspect of the fighting game genre you can think of, rewarding those who dedicate time to learning the game. There are literally no flaws to Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Honourable mentions: Mother 3, Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening (it hurt so much to exclude those three), Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country 1&2, Pokémon Red&Blue, Pokémon Pinball, Fire Emblem Awakening, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, Wario Land 3, Tetris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

1a4.gif

Yes! yes! yes! yes! yes! yes! yes! Does anyone remember that one part where you were waiting for something to happen...and you waited...and waited...then pressed A and bam! God this game brings back so many memories...From chapter 3 with Rawk Hawk to chapter 5 with Cortez, The humor in this game is just BEYOND amazing! PMTTYD Is the second game in the Paper Mario series, And boy what a jump it was! When playing through the chapters, I would always look forward to seeing those little parts with the misadventures of Bowser. If you haven't played this I certainly recommend it. <3 

9: Super Mario Galaxy

248.gif

Oh Mario Galaxy... I'm honestly not the best at platformers but this game just made me want to push on to see what lies on ahead. It also was the introduction to one of my favourite characters in Nintendo history. It's always fun to mess with gravity in this, getting a good run up on a small planet then long jumping and flying around and around! Mario Galaxy offers such a variety of level's, bosses and difficulty. It can go from as simple as getting to the end of the level to the evilness of Luigi's purple coins. It's as hard as you choose. 

8: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the wild

6929d5bd7a46e2392323400f21e82a02.gif

* ^ * My goodness...This game...Where to begin...The game really is what you want to make of it. You have true freedom of what you want to do...Want to go straight to the final boss? Want to go and get the memories? Wanna go do a dungeon? You can choose what you like to do when you like! I also have to say that I ADORE how Zelda alone is represented in this game. She's my favourite Zelda out of every Zelda throughout the series. You can literally spend hours traversing the world or even playing around with physics. 

7: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

RealisticDeliriousErne.gif

Aaaah DKC2 I remember hours and hours of my childhood spent on his game..arguments on who got to play as Dixie. This game had just the right amount of secrets, It looks absolutely amazing, the music is still as fantastic as ever, even now I enjoy dipping into it now and again. 

6: Fire Emblem Awakening

bf7.gif

Psychopaths obsessed with death, the plain invisible, to creepy stalkers and a guy that has a twitchy sword hand, all these are your team members with many many more options. If you're looking to get into the Fire emblem series, this is honestly the go to, to get you started!  If you're looking for a good story this game can offer that. You can choose to stick with the original difficulty from it's previous games in the series, or if you're looking to start out, you can enjoy the game without perma death. Once again the game is as difficult as you like it, with a great story to indulge in. One that I personally enjoyed very much enough to make this list. 

5: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

15-explain2.gif

Mario?! Square Enix?! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?! Only just one of my personal all time favourite games!  The humour, the characters...this is also a game that has one of the most requested Smash characters to my knowledge! This is the start to Mario games in the RPG genre and also the start of that clumsy, silly and down right lovable side to Bowser that we've grown to love. Without this game, there is a lot that we wouldn't have, I feel. Not forgetting to mention the controversial use of the word bugger.

4: Super Metroid

tumblr_n7t8reZP8j1si78sgo1_400.gif

Atmosphere, That general feeling is consistent throughout this whole game. I remember playing this when I was very little and even to this day I still learn neat little tips and tricks! This game is a real hit in the nostalgia and I remember crying as a kid at Crocomire...Which still to this day is incredibly morbid I might add, However this game to this day is still my favourite Metroid game. 

3: Banjo-Tooie

BiodegradableWellinformedAphid-max-1mb.g

Humour, difficulty, just generally a good feeling. This game is like that favourite movie that you've seen and over and over...but it's so familiar that it's just a joy to watch over again. The humour in this game has not aged one bit and how can you not love a game that you play as a bear, bird and can transform into a T-rex in little yellow shorts and a blue backpack!  This game got a lot of crap past the radar in it's time and well...Us Brit's have a great sense of humour! 

2: Pokemon Crystal

53-Battle.gif

Day, night, mum spending your hard earned cash...but you let her in those slim chances she get you that plushie to decorate your room. This game sure added a lot from the original R/B/Y. It was a HUGE part of my childhood, heck it pretty much is my childhood. Memories of rushing to battle against my brother, Then that mind blowing realization you could go back to Kanto! Being young at the time, this was absolutely amazing! For some reason, as much as I love other games. With G/S/C I just have such a rush when playing this again. Maybe it's the nostalgia rush, but even to this day when I pick up this game I still feel like my young self once more and look forward to start my Pokemon adventure once more  

3a1bbb60c2e5fd62b9d68cc91e33f724--pokemon-funny-pokemon-stuff.jpg

1: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

This game...gosh...this game...Story, difficulty, characters, humour...This game does it all...I'll try not say spoilers...but this game has the challenge, and heck...not only is there a good amount of post game, but this game can be dark, seriously dark. It'll toy with your feel's, chew them up and laugh as you weep. The games only get darker from here. Future PMD's do get darker, but this game is the perfect mix of difficulty, story, gameplay and more. It's also the game that inspired me to delve into the world of drawing more pokemon fan art and even pokemon OC's...

Hounourable Mentions are Pokemon Black and white, Super Mario world, Zelda Skyward sword, Kirby Super star Ultra, Lylat wars, Earthbound, Kid icarus uprising, Xenoblade Chronicles, Golden Sun lost age, Banjo kazooie, Splatoon 2, Miitopia, Mario & Luigi super star saga and Panel de pon. ; w ;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, I learned something from that Super Metroid GIF. Bloody hell! Those first and last pictures compliment each other so well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok, I don't post much here but I love a good list so here goes:

10. Splatoon (not picked up the sequel yet)
9. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
8. Waverace 64
7. Metroid Prime
6. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
5. Super Mario 64
4. Pokemon Gold/Silver
3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is a hard one, fellas, but I understand there comes a time in life when choices need to be made and top 10 lists need to be created. This list represents the Nintendo games that have made enough of an impact on me for them to come up in my mind right away at the prospect of creating a top 10 list.

10. F-Zero GX

310?cb=20090616164706

Probably one of the last franchises I discovered in my later years and having experience retroactively. I was able to hunt down a second hand copy and played it on my Wii, but nothing could have prepared my for what I was about to experience. The upbeat electro-techno! The laser-fast bumper-ramming! The deep lore surrounding the characters! Yes, my friends, this became one of my favourite racing games of all time in a heart beat. A heart beat that kept pounding faster and faster as I was forced back in my couch because of all the G-forces!

9. Pikmin 2

latest?cb=20121129000236

The Pikmin franchise has a special place in my heart simply because it mixes the guilt of failing your sweet little pikmin with the exploration of great environments. I recall liking the fact that there are no day limits in Pikmin 2, so you had all the time in the world to go about exploring during the day time in the different regions.That, and the cave exploration in this game was in a league of its own and seriously creepy and hard. Marching through the dark tunnels a 100 pikmin strong while they hum marching tunes when suddenly a luminescent frog falls down and kills almost your entire time because you took a wrong turn was particularly traumatic.

8. Metroid Prime Trilogy

51H-AtSzmUL._SY445_.jpg

I know this is technically cheating, but god damnit I needs to be this way. If I had to pick I'd probably say Metroid Prime 1, though Metroid Prime 3 was the first one I've played. Atmosphere, isolation, soundtrack, lore. All spot on! The franchise that got me into Samus made a lasting impression.

7. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

92266_front.jpg

Now whilst I do prefer the art style and the characters of the previous games in the series more, in terms of hours put in a Nintendo game, I don't think any game comes closer that Days of Ruin. For that I had to put it on the list. I think me and a couple of friends have been getting together from time to time and playing this gem for nearly 8 years now and with it clearly being the most balanced game out of all of them we have no intention of slowing down this tradition. Though we all are getting older and the distance between one another might increase, so Wargroove might prove to be a great alternative here.

6. Mario & Luigi : Superstar Saga

61VBCNH9RKL.jpg

This is another one of those games where you're taking on a humorous and thrilling adventure in the same vain as in the Paper Mario franchise. That's probably the reason why I enjoyed it so much, despite having played many Gameboy Advance games on an emulator back in the day. The Bean Bean Kingdom was a fun region to explore and as a game that introduced Fawful into our gaming minds it's hard to not give it a spot on this list. The hilarious writing and 'Italian' conversations between the bros. have stuck with me ever since. I really enjoy these kind of games where you enter a new world and every chapter so to speak brings something new to the table. No game in the series has yet to top this one for me. I have yet to play Dream Team Bros. and Paper Jam, so I need to judge and see if this franchise has fallen as much from grace as the Paper Mario franchise has. 

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

smg2.box.art.full-3252010-580px.jpg

I do not remember a whole lot specifically about Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. All I remember it that they both blew my young adolescent mind with the most amazing music and engaging gameplay. Putting such an acrobatic plumber in the mids of so many beautiful environments is a stroke of genius.

4. Pokémon Gold/Silver

slide005.jpg

I remember it very well. Me and a friend of mine, I guess we were about 8 or 9, went from door to door asking if we could do some chores for people in exchange for a bit of money. There was a time limit: the release date of Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver in Europe. For some reason I remember having to collect at least 100 guilders (pre-euro currency in NL), maybe to buy both games. I bought gold, my friend got Silver and are coming summer and past time was absorbed by these gems. I cannot believe to this day that no other Pokémon game has every attempted to incorporate another region in there. I am extremely tempted to download one of the two again on my 3DS, but I'd rather get Crystal which I've never played, if that is in the pipeline. Cyndaquil reigns supreme!

3. The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker

the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-hd-box-ar

Such a great game. SUCH A GREAT GAME! Just like my number 2 spot, I got this game early on when I got my gamecube in its final year. It was, in effect, the first Zelda game I bought with my own money for my own system and thus another nostalgic connection was born. Sailing across that vast blue ocean, enjoying the wonderful graphical style, I can't help but wish Nintendo would make another Zelda in that same vain again. Having said that, I can't wait to finally get a Switch one day and get lost in Breath of the Wild.

2. Paper Mario & The Thousand Year Door

e607717e39813fecfcf58adf4e72860e.jpg

I have some deep nostalgic roots with this game, and I couldn't be happier that this was one of the first games I bought for my gamecube once I switched over from Sony to Nintendo. Every chapter brings it's own unique flavour in the form of partners, bosses, music, and gameplay. A surprisingly dark story for a Mario game makes this one of Nintendo's unusual greats. 

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

2a0c06fd-4ac5-408c-801a-d5a0586d4793_1.d

I have no doubt that the newest iteration on the WiiU is even better, but the absence of a story mode makes Brawl an amazing collaborative art-piece the likes of which no Nintendo game has ever seen. Samus & Pikachu, Lucas & Pokemon Trainer, Captain Falcon & Captain Olimar...need I say more. I'm a sucker for these kind of team-ups and my hope is that Nintendo will one day release a similar story mode either in Smash or as a separate game all together!

• Like 4

Hmm, I can't seem to edit the first post. Maybe a mod could help?

In the process of tallying up the scores now, but obviously won't post them until everyone who wants to has voted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never realised how hard it is to make this list until yesterday, when I tried to start writing it... Background music surely helped :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU2K9XueqcI

My list:

1) Super Metroid

2) Super Smash Bros: Melee

3) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

4) Super Mario Galaxy 2

5) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

6) Metroid Prime

7) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

8) Mario Kart Wii

9) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

10) Super Mario World

And some memorable mentions: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, F-Zero GX, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mother 3

So basically we have something like....

Spoiler

TLoZ:OoT
Super Mario World
Metroid Prime
Super Smash bros Melee
TLoZ:BotW
TLoZ:WW
Super Mario 64
Pokemon Red/Blue
Super Metroid
Super Mario Galaxy

Looks fairly uncontroversial to me...
if we restrict to one title from each series:

Spoiler

TLoZ:OoT
Super Mario World
Metroid Prime
Super Smash bros Melee
Mario Kart 8
Pokemon Red/Blue
Animal Crossing
Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door
Splatoon
Pokemon Mystery dungeon:explorers of sky

(just my interpretation of peoples submissions so far!)

I think both lists look excellent, if I was locked in a room with just those games (from either list) I'd be reasonably happy with the selection (though probably not with being locked in a room :/) Actually I'd be super happy with the second list, Paper Mario TYD is one I want to get round to playing!!

Edited by Pestneb

Sign in to follow this