NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nicktendo

The N-Europe top 10 Nintendo games of all time.

Rules are simple, and copy the format of IGN's recent go at this (thanks H-o-T for clarifying):

• We each take a turn in adding a game to the top 10. 
  • Once the ten games are established, you then can either add a game to the list at any position ( knocking down all the games underneath ) or swap the positions of 2 games that are already on the list.
  • If a game is thrown off the list twice then it stays of the list for good.
  • Each person can choose to veto a decision once.

Let's establish another rule: The same person cannot suggest a new title within 5 posts, let others have their say. If we can have 10 suggestions from 10 different people to get the ball rolling, then feel free to chime in with other suggestions. Vetos can either be written or added to a post using the sad smiley. Each person posts their choice and newly edited list after their choice so it's easy to see where we're at from the latest post. Feel free to post screenshots and a bit of blurb about your choice if you so wish. 

Here's IGN's list:

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Super Mario World
  4. Super Mario Bros.
  5. Super Mario 64
  6. Super Metroid
  7. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
  8. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  9. Metroid Prime
  10. Pokemon Gold/Silver

More IGN rules:  Only standalone Nintendo-made games are eligible. No collections. That means only games published or developed by Nintendo. So, yes to Banjo-Kazooie (developed by Rare, published by Nintendo), but no to Chrono Trigger (made by Square), even if it was on the Super NES. The games have to have come out somewhere in the world. So Star Fox 2 wouldn't be eligible quite yet, but Mother 3 is eligible.

Shall I start then? Okey.

First game on the list is Wii Sports. 

Let the games begin!

List (edit into your post)
1. Wii Sports.

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Thanks 2

I think we could have spent a bit more time discussing the rules and how best to go about this, but ok...

This may not work in a message board format, because people will just wait until the end before posting. This might be more interesting, but it won't be as definitive a list as the other suggested ways of doing it.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 3

@Nicktendo clearly you got excited at the idea and pulled the trigger. :D 

54 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think we could have spent a bit more time discussing the rules and how best to go about this, but ok...

This may not work in a message board format, because people will just wait until the end before posting. This might be more interesting, but it won't be as definitive a list as the other suggested ways of doing it.

I agree. I think more people should have some input in to the way they would like it ran. I was just offering a suggestion, that's all.

If you guys did go ahead and use the IGN method then I was going to suggest that an order for voting would have to be discussed beforehand. As you said, people could just wait until others have vetoed or voted to manipulate the list.

• Like 1

Although I agree that there probably are better ways of doing this, at least it's a fun exercise, so I'll add to it! :)

1. Wii Sports
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I still think the best way to do it is to each list our top 10s, and add up all the points for a final N-Europe Top 10. That's how gaf does it and it works really well. It's a good way to get honourable mentions noted too.

Easy way to do it is to just vote on which way you'd like to go with, (or suggest new ones)

1. IGN method
2. Each post our top 10s
3. Each post our top 5s of each platform, with the top 1 or 2 from each console going through to the second round etc

Edited by Ronnie

Sincere thanks to @Nicktendo for starting it off, but I must admit I am struggling to fully understand the rules.  Could we not each post a Top 10 and have a tally of how many times each game gets mentioned?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I still think the best way to do it is to each list our top 10s, and add up all the points for a final N-Europe Top 10. That's how gaf does it and it works really well. It's a good way to get honourable mentions noted too.

Easy way to do it is to just vote on which way you'd like to go with, (or suggest new ones)

1. IGN method
2. Each post our top 10s
3. Each post our top 5s of each platform, with the top 1 or 2 from each console going through to the second round etc

I agree that the GAF way is probably the best but I sincerely enjoyed the chaos IGN's method brought, and in the end the result wasn't vastly shocking. I only decided to start a thread because this has been discussed for a week or so now and I want to get started and I though seeing has how the IGN brought on this discussion, that would be the most appropriate method to use. A mod is welcome to edit the first thread if necessary. Sorry for jumping the gun ;)

I say we all pick 10 games. We then divide that up by the number of siblings we have. Once that's done, the games that remain will get put into several brackets. Finally, on the next full moon, we will decide on a voting order by reading the entrails of a sacrificed lamb. Simples. :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

Could always do both. Start with the IGN way, then we can do a separate gaf way and see the differences.

I think the IGN way is probably more fun live and in person, than on a message board, but who knows.

Edited by Ronnie

Having not watched the IGN one, what is to stop someone waiting until the list is almost complete, and then putting "Hey You, Pikachu" in at number 1?

10 minutes ago, bob said:

Having not watched the IGN one, what is to stop someone waiting until the list is almost complete, and then putting "Hey You, Pikachu" in at number 1?

That's why you need a voting order and the veto options. IGN had to keep vetoing games that were either troll attempts or had a game in the same series that was already on the list that was the superior version.

• Like 1

How about we get ten games, with one by each new poster. Once that list is made have people state they're in (kinda like the MK league) and then an order be established for adding/swapping games? That way we can continue the thread as it started... (The Veto panel could be made out of staff members within the first ten suggestions... so far it's Nick and Mark who voted, Nick being N-E staff would be on the panel. And then maybe have "guests" if the resulting panel is too small. The panel basically being responsible for veto-ing entries... Any panel member can propose a veto, but the veto has to be proposed within 24 hours of the entry concerned... other members of the panel then have 24 hours to pass the veto or over rule it...?
Also.. when is the list deemed to have been completed? (I haven't watched that video to the end, sorry!)

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Mario World
5. Super Mario World
6. Super Mario World
7. Super Mario World
8. Super Mario World
9. Super Mario World
10. Super Mario World

No rules needed. This is the list. /thread :p

• Haha 1

Great idea @Nicktendo! Surprised we haven't done this before, but I agree with the others: I don't think the IGN method will work on a message board.

If I'm understanding what @Ronnie and @Hero-of-Time are saying, the GAF way sounds like the best way to do it: set a deadline (i.e. the end of September) to allow for optimal participants, who will post their Top 10, with their top choice gaining 10 points, their next 9 points, etc. 

However, I'd suggest that we save 2017 Nintendo games - as there have been a lot of greats, but I feel that, as a result, it could take a while for us to fully process them - for the start of next year, and debate top games for the year, and then debate as to whether or not they make it into the list? I mean, BOTW is a 50-hour commitment at minimum, and Odyssey is likely to be critically acclaimed by many of us too.

Just my two cents, but it gives everyone a chance to play them after we see some prices drop in a few weeks in preparation for Christmas :p

Edited by Julius Caesar

We could maybe update the list every six months or so as new members join and post their their own top 10s and see how that changes the order.

BOTW and Odyssey are tricky though like you say. I think enough time has passed for BOTW for the freshness to just about wear off so should be fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if Odyssey would have made it into a few people's lists. We could always do an update in January.

Edited by Ronnie

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

We could maybe update the list every six months or so as new members join and post their their own top 10s and see how that changes the order.

You're a glass half full kinda guy, aren't you? :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It's difficult to come up with an entirely fair system but everyone providing a list of 10 is probably the best way to go.

However, for people like me who don't feel strongly about the order of my list, it opens the door to place something unlikely to get many other votes right at the top just to give it a chance with 10 points out of the gate.. but there's not much anyone can do about that :heh:

One idea I've been thinking about is giving everyone a pool of 30 points to distribute as they please amongst their 10 games provided no game exceeds a maximum of 10 points and each game must get at least 1 point.

For example, I could give every game on my list 3 points each or I could give one game a 10, one game a 4 and everything else 2 or whichever combination I desire.

Any thoughts?

I'm just going to give a list! if we go for one game only, mine is the first game, otherwise if it's top ten, in the following order:

Spoiler

Splatoon

Given the hours I sank in this game it should sit fairly high! The gameplay really got me in this game. When you're on fire the game just sings, swimming through the ink ambushing inklings, painting the whole stage. Highlights for me were N-E teams and playing matches with are! The main issue has been my net connection, which independently of splatoon caused huge connection issues, effectively retiring this game from my collection prematurely :( the connection has since improved, and I still play the occasional match - aiming with motion controls is the best shooter experience I have ever had on a console, about on par as a keyboard + mouse setup personally.

Mario Kart 8

Mainly as a game I play online against my best mate from time to time. Mario kart has always been a favourite series, but this is the first one since the original where I felt the controls were nailed! lag can be an issue, but due to the fairly random nature of play I don't find it to be a problem. If only there was voice chat in race and a proper battle mode! Lots of classic moments, now I am looking forward to MK9 which will hopefully take mario kart ot the next level!

Smash bros Brawl

While the two earlier games, melee in particular, were great games, for me brawl just edges it. The roster was huge, but with a thoughtfully crafted single player mode it was fun getting to grips with all the fighters, learning how to fight with them. Having seen how I am with smash 4, I really appreciate how the character specific stages in single player modes really encouraged me to explore all the characters and get the most out of the game, so not only was the roster large, but I got to be proficient with each fighter.

Breath of the wild

Maybe not classic Zelda in some ways, but I really enjoyed the feeling of progression as link grew stronger! I haven't gotten round to completing the game yet, but so far in I have really enjoyed the exploration aspects, building up my armour and just playing in the sandbox. A slightly stronger storyline could have pushed this game closer to perfection, but even as it is I find the game great fun and really compelling - I'm still stumbling across areas that are new, discovering new nuances in the gameplay. Fantastic game!

Pokemon Red

I wanted yellow, but red is what I got. My Charizard was a legend. I had a magicarp who was in the high 90's in my team just to troll people with, along with a persian to get me plenty of $. a game I sank countless hours into, all enhanced by a group of friends who were also into the game.

Super Mario Sunshine

The controls, the gameplay, I just found this game really fun. I suspect that everything I loved about sunshine will come out in odyssey but until I've played that, sunshine is my favourite mario game!

Metroid fusion

This was the first 2-d metroid I ever played, and I loved it. everything seemed perfect, pacing of the game, lay out of the map, exploration, combat, the art style and the music. It was too short, but it was a marvellous game nonetheless!

1080 avalanche

The controls are good, graphics for the time were great, I just wish they'd release a new game in the series! I loved the build up to just before a race, the music track (not so sure I'd appreciate it as much now) and the fact that for the most part I could relax and enjoy the game. The avalanches were quite neat, and I can only imagine what this game could be with an updated game engine.

Wario ware inc mega party games

Not a single player thing, but this really was a great game to play with a group, the balance on everything was just perfect. It was really random but if people could get past that, it's a good fun game!

Wii Sports resort

Mainly I loved flying around the island - I think I'd probably like a pilotwings game but I have yet to do so, perhaps something to add to my "to buy list"
Aside from flying, plenty of little games, I spent a good amount of time on the table tennis with one flat mate in particular, this was another good sociable game from Nintendo

Edited by Pestneb
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pestneb said:

I'm just going to give a list! if we go for one game only, mine is the first game, otherwise if it's top ten, in the following order:

Hide contents

Splatoon

Given the hours I sank in this game it should sit fairly high! The gameplay really got me in this game. When you're on fire the game just sings, swimming through the ink ambushing inklings, painting the whole stage. Highlights for me were N-E teams and playing matches with are! The main issue has been my net connection, which independently of splatoon caused huge connection issues, effectively retiring this game from my collection prematurely :( the connection has since improved, and I still play the occasional match - aiming with motion controls is the best shooter experience I have ever had on a console, about on par as a keyboard + mouse setup personally.

Mario Kart 8

Mainly as a game I play online against my best mate from time to time. Mario kart has always been a favourite series, but this is the first one since the original where I felt the controls were nailed! lag can be an issue, but due to the fairly random nature of play I don't find it to be a problem. If only there was voice chat in race and a proper battle mode! Lots of classic moments, now I am looking forward to MK9 which will hopefully take mario kart ot the next level!

Smash bros Brawl

While the two earlier games, melee in particular, were great games, for me brawl just edges it. The roster was huge, but with a thoughtfully crafted single player mode it was fun getting to grips with all the fighters, learning how to fight with them. Having seen how I am with smash 4, I really appreciate how the character specific stages in single player modes really encouraged me to explore all the characters and get the most out of the game, so not only was the roster large, but I got to be proficient with each fighter.

Breath of the wild

Maybe not classic Zelda in some ways, but I really enjoyed the feeling of progression as link grew stronger! I haven't gotten round to completing the game yet, but so far in I have really enjoyed the exploration aspects, building up my armour and just playing in the sandbox. A slightly stronger storyline could have pushed this game closer to perfection, but even as it is I find the game great fun and really compelling - I'm still stumbling across areas that are new, discovering new nuances in the gameplay. Fantastic game!

Tales of Symphonia

I love when I care about the characters and storyline in a game.. this one maybe wasn't anything too mind blowing, but it really drew me in. the gameplay I felt was solid, and I fell in love with the atmosphere the game managed to create. I remember on my first play through I was lucky enough to be ill for a couple of days, I spent most of that time playing through the game, always wondering what would come next!

Super Mario Sunshine

The controls, the gameplay, I just found this game really fun. I suspect that everything I loved about sunshine will come out in odyssey but until I've played that, sunshine is my favourite mario game!

Metroid fusion

This was the first 2-d metroid I ever played, and I loved it. everything seemed perfect, pacing of the game, lay out of the map, exploration, combat, the art style and the music. It was too short, but it was a marvellous game nonetheless!

1080 avalanche

The controls are good, graphics for the time were great, I just wish they'd release a new game in the series! I loved the build up to just before a race, the music track (not so sure I'd appreciate it as much now) and the fact that for the most part I could relax and enjoy the game. The avalanches were quite neat, and I can only imagine what this game could be with an updated game engine.

Wario ware inc mega party games

Not a single player thing, but this really was a great game to play with a group, the balance on everything was just perfect. It was really random but if people could get past that, it's a good fun game!

Wii Sports resort

Mainly I loved flying around the island - I think I'd probably like a pilotwings game but I have yet to do so, perhaps something to add to my "to buy list"
Aside from flying, plenty of little games, I spent a good amount of time on the table tennis with one flat mate in particular, this was another good sociable game from Nintendo

So is that in order? As in you think Splatoon is the best Nintendo game of all time and Wii Sports Resort the tenth best ever?

Also unless I'm mistaken Tales of Symphonia isn't developed (or published) by Nintendo so doesn't really apply.

Edited by Ronnie

Whoops on ToS, I kept doing that, can't believe I made such an obvious mistake.

This list is for Nintendo games I played, so no, I'm not voting it as the best Nintendo game of all time. Those are Nintendo (and 1 namco I believe.. whoops ><) games from my game library. If someone told me I could only keep 10 Nintendo published/developed games and never replace them, those would be my 10 (-Tos)

There are a couple of titles I would love to try some day and I suspect they would come higher up on my list, but I can't exactly put a game on my top ten if I have never played it!

As for justifying my list... everyone looks for something slightly different in games, I'm happy with having splatoon up at the top for my nomination, I'm not going to go crazy at someone who would rank it outside even their top 50, because as I said, everyone has different criteria against which they measure up games. Will splatoon be there if I write up another top ten list in a few years time? that depends on the online aspect and how quickly it dries up or gets removed altogether. But I doubt I have sunk as many hours into any other game... the controls, tactics, even getting "splatted" is almost satisfying (so long as it doesn't happy too often and your team isn't confined to the spawn point!)

Again, Sports resort really worked well for me, I'm a lot more into local multiplayer and I got a lot of fun out of that game! Obviously as a single player experience it's not as compelling but then I wouldn't fire it up on those occasions.

With Tos I guess I loved the game so much I forgot for a second about the Nintendo thing... I've removed it from the list :D  (and will try to think of a no.10 for Nintendo!)

• Like 1

I personally think 2017 games are fine, up to others re: one entry per franchise or not.

One per franchise would make it impossible to nominate both BotW and the original The Legend of Zelda.

I'm not sure that's a good thing.

On the other hand it would prevent people nominating for example both Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow and Green.

Sign in to follow this