NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Final Fantasy IX (PS4)

11 minutes ago, Julius said:

if XVI is announced tonight, what would you want to see? Or what do you want from XVI in general? 

Medieval setting, turn based combat, better characters and story than FFXV (which should be freaking easy as hell)

That's all. :D

What about you?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Medieval setting, turn based combat, better characters and story than FFXV (which should be freaking easy as hell)

That's all. :D

What about you?

Well that lowers my expectations for when I get around to XV :laughing:

I'd love turn-based combat, especially with VII Remake already dealing with action RPG mechanics, but I just don't see it happening. An evolution on what they've done with VII Remake which made the ATB side of things about 50/50 with the action would be pretty cool! 

Yeah, it's funny looking at XV and knowing I don't really want that in an FF, I kind of want medieval/steampunk like they did so well in VI and IX :laughing: 

Strong characters and a storyline which isn't a mess would be nice, would be a dream if Uematsu returned as main composer, though from what I've heard of the other composers since he's stopped as the main series composer, it's still great stuff. 

But above all else: just focus on the game! From the outside looking in, having not played many of these games, Square Enix have got a very bad habit it seems of making the game last and making the brand around it first (which I'm grateful wasn't the case with Remake).

What I mean by this is look at the VII Compilation: came out after the original game, ended up with a lot of side and supplementary content, but it doesn't really tarnish that original experience.

And then I look at the dizzying mess that is XV. Off the top of my head: a film, short anime, the game, and then the plans for like 8 DLC packs (half of which ended up cancelled?). And even then, the game was Versus XIII just made into their next main project, I feel like the game was the last thing on their minds. 

Thinking about it now though, and putting aside XIV's A Realm Reborn, won't XVI be the first original Final Fantasy main series announcement/reveal in over a decade? That's pretty nuts if so! :D

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Well that lowers my expectations for when I get around to XV 

Yeah, the story is...not good, to say the least :D
Gameplay is fine, I really liked it but everything else about the game is...urgh. And you gave the reason for that:

1 hour ago, Julius said:

And then I look at the dizzying mess that is XV. Off the top of my head: a film, short anime, the game, and then the plans for like 8 DLC packs (half of which ended up cancelled?). And even then, the game was Versus XIII just made into their next main project, I feel like the game was the last thing on their minds.

1 hour ago, Julius said:

won't XVI be the first original Final Fantasy main series announcement/reveal in over a decade?

Versus XIII was announced back in 2006 (!), so if we take that it'll be 14 years. 14 years! :nono:
The name change to FFXV happened in 2013, if I recall correctly.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

So, listening to some video game music while working today (as you do), and came across this unused Main Theme from IX, from the FFIX PLUS album:

That might be one of the best unused tracks I've ever heard? Obviously there's plenty of Melodies of Life in there (as there is throughout the entire game) but damn, I think that might be one of my favourite uses of it. There's a definite charm and power to this one that wasn't necessarily present in the other times you hear Melodies of Life.

Seems a bit too energetic to be the overworld theme, and sounds like it was played with the instruments used in Zidane's Theme, so I wonder if it was maybe supposed to be the Title Screen theme instead? Or maybe to be used in the overworld later on in the game? 

Anyways, just thought I'd share it, because I love it :grin:

Edited by Julius

Sign in to follow this