NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Kirby: Battle Royale 3rd Nov 2017 (3DS)

I know they will be a few others on here looking forward to this just as much as me. *points to Dcubed and family*

I see we are getting this before the US. It looks like we get this in Nov and Mario Party in Jan, whereas the US get the games the other way around. I'd much rather have this so I feel we got the better deal. :)

Nintendo is also hosting a vote where you have to pick what your favourite Kirby abilities are. You can vote once per day up until the October 2nd. 

http://kirby.nintendo.com/battle-royale/#kirby-25th

Nintendo Japan also put out a video highlighting the abilities.

My first vote went on the Archer. That ability helped me cheese my way through the boss rush mode in Triple Deluxe and as such deserves my top spot. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My first vote went on the Archer. That ability helped me cheese my way through the boss rush mode in Triple Deluxe and as such deserves my top spot. :D 

Archer is incredibly broken, but it gets horribly nerfed in Triple Deluxe's multiplayer mode and I'm kinda scared the same would happen here. So I'm going with the best forgotten Super Star ability.

yo_yo_kirby_by_rjdog1000.gif

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Looks like good mental mean-spirited fun! It'd be nice to play online, but I get the feeling this game won't exactly light the charts on fire. Might be hard to find other people.

Really can't wait for this. It's been a cracking year so far for Kirby fans, with Team Kirby Clash Deluxe being one of my favourite games of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And with triple deluxe being in your top ten, didn't realise you were such a huge fan

4 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

And with triple deluxe being in your top ten, didn't realise you were such a huge fan

Yeah. My love for Kirby probably came from Kirby's Air Ride of all places. I had played the NES game when I was younger and Kirby 64 was the first one that I bought myself but it was Air Ride that got me to fall in love with the character. It also helps that in recent years we've had such gems as Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot, Kirby's Adventure Wii, Kirby's Epic Yarn and Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush, all of which are amazing games. To this day it still annoys me that we didn't get the Kirby Collection on the Wii over here.

As much as I love Kirby, I think @Dcubed and @Glen-i are bigger fans than myself and have more history with the Kirby games than I do.

• Thanks 2

Looks pretty great! A lot meatier and content packed than I expected too!

This’ll fill the Ridiculously-Late-In-A-Console’s-Life-Kirby-Game role very nicely! :D 

28 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

This’ll fill the Ridiculously-Late-In-A-Console’s-Life-Kirby-Game role very nicely! 

It seems really odd that we are getting a Kirby game so early in the Switch's lifespan. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It seems really odd that we are getting a Kirby game so early in the Switch's lifespan. :D 

Lol! Very true! It’s actually a first! We’ve never had a Kirby game hit within the first 1.5 years of a console’s life before (the closest was Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland on GBA; which came 1 year, 7 months after launch in Japan and was also a remake, which makes it a pretty unfair comparison anyway! - the next closest game was about 2.5-3 years after its respective console launch!), so yeah! It’s actually completely unprecedented!

Edited by Dcubed

So will this be similar to all the other Battle Royale games out at the moment, like PUBG and Fortnite?

• Haha 1

Demo!

In order to build hype and increase awareness, presumably, Nintendo has confirmed that today's download update will bring a demo of the game to the 3DS eShop in Europe. All told it'll have three modes playable - Battle Arena; Apple Scramble; Crazy Theatre, though this last mode will have to be unlocked within the demo. Details on these modes are below.

• Battle Arena: Float like a butterfly and sting like a Kir-bee in this frantic four-way throwdown. Charge into battle and smash the other players to smithereens! Keep them guessing from one battle to the next by changing up your copy abilities, and they won’t know what hit them.
  • Apple Scramble: A frenetic and tactical two-versus-two mode. Each team must race to grab apples from the nearby trees, scoring points by dropping them through a trapdoor. You can stack them high to score a load of points in one go, but it’s not all about being a peaceful gatherer – you can also reap rewards by turning hunter, and attacking your opponents to steal their apples. Be on your guard though, as they’ll be looking to do the same – and expect the pace to hot up even further whenever a valuable golden apple appears.
  • Crazy Theater: You’ll never quite know what’s coming next, as each round throws up a different challenge, such as attacking a specific player, dodging an asteroid shower, or solving a quickfire calculation. You can be sure that your opponents will be trying to disrupt you, so you’ll need quick wits and quick reflexes to come out on top!

In addition, if you download the demo you'll be able to complete a save transfer to the full game; the benefit of this is that you can then unlock Meta Knight early as opposed to relatively late in the main story mode.

• Thanks 1

I had a go of the demo yesterday and enjoyed what little is there to play. They've made it so you can only play 5 single player matches and 7 multiplayer matches per day. Once you run out of tickets you have to wait another 10 hours before you can play it again. I guess this is to stop you from farming a stupid amount of coins before the main game arrives, as you can transfer them over to the full game.

I put a bit of time into this last night and have enjoyed what i've played so far. 

The story mode pits you against a Dedede and his army of Kirby clones. You start at the lowest of leagues and have to work your way up all the way to the platinum division. To do this you need to win various mini games to fill up a meter. Once the meter is filled then you will play a promotion match. Win that and you will go up a league.

There are a fair few of unlockables to nab. These range from new mini games, outfits, and even abilities. There are also challenges to do, much like what was seen in Kirby's Air Ride and the Smash Bros. games. Most of them seem pretty easy, although there is one that requires you to win 10 battles in a row against 3 opponents at the highest difficulty. That could prove to be a challenge.

More time will be put into it this evening.

The credits have now rolled and if I was to sum up the game in one word it would be this: Disappointing.

With there being only 10 mini games on offer, the game becomes pretty boring quite quickly. As you progress through the leagues the amount you have to play through each game increases. The whole thing just starts to feel like a drag/grind. 

On a more positive note, the game /Kirby is as charming as ever and the final boss was a good, if easy, fight.

There are a bunch of medals that can be unlocked but I'm not sure I'll even bother. There's one for playing 400 matches. I've finished the story and hit around the 70 mark. That just goes to show you how much of grind it would be.

The game is obviously built for multiplayer but seeing how there are so few mini games on offer I can't see many people sticking with this for a long time.

Sign in to follow this