NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

H-o-T Topic: Has the lack of Virtual Console hurt the Switch?

Recently, I have been reading more and more requests for the Virtual Console to be on the Switch but has the absence of the service been a big miss for the Switch eShop? This is a question I have been asking myself over the past few weeks.

After thinking about it I think the answer is not only no but also that the eShop and many developers/publishers have benefitted by the absence of the Virtual Console on the Nintendo hybrid system.

DH8WZXWVoAAy9KU.jpg

Inti Systems have shown great support for their games with free DLC

The Virtual Console launched back during the Wii era and was a great way for fans to buy digital versions of the games they used to play in their childhood. It was also a good way for new fans to play the games that inspired the ones that they play today. I think a lot of people would agree that the Wii era of the virtual console was when the service was at its peak, due to the range of consoles that the service offered.

Fast forward a generation and the virtual console returned on both the Wii U and 3DS. While the 3DS got some offerings from Sega, the Wii U VC was left wanting and as such the lineup was severely lacking. There was also the issue of players having to wait months for games they wanted, as Nintendo continued to drip feed the games to its fanbase. While the VC in this generation did offer new features like save states, the lack of support from 3rd parties and the rate at which games were being released really killed off any excitement.

When the Switch was confirmed to be a hybrid myself and others were thinking of the possibilities of finally having a Nintendo machine that could play all of the classic games at home and on the go. The games on the service would look fantastic on the Switch’s screen and having a library of games to play wherever you went would be a dream come true. Sadly, this has yet to happen but is this a bad thing?

DH8WTuHUwAAEmJR.jpg

It was Kamiko, not BOTW, that pushed me to buy a Switch

Whether the no show of the virtual console on Switch has been by design, problems with getting the system up and running on the Switch or even Nintendo just simply not wanting to do this kind of thing anymore, the fact is that this has been a blessing in disguise for the smaller developers/publishers that have put their games on the Switch.

You look at the sales of some of the eShop games on the Switch and you can see a trend happening with the developers/publishers who are putting the time and effort into the service.  We are starting to hear more and more success stories from these developers. Just yesterday we heard from the developers of Wonder Boy (Lizard Cube) saying how the Switch version of the game sold more copies on Nintendo’s console than the 3 other platforms combined. Mixed Bag Games, who developed Forma.8, quickly followed up also stating that the Switch version of the game had been the most successful. Today we heard from the developers of Oceanhorn telling a similar story, that the Switch version of their game has seen the most success.

This isn’t a new trend either. Earlier in the year we heard from Skipmore and they were also pleased with the sales of Kamiko, saying that the game sold over 110k worldwide. A similar story was posted by Inti Creates who have been happy with the performance of both Blaster Master Zero and Mighty Gunvolt Burst. Hamster  Corporation has also found success on the platform, with many of their Neo Geo games selling very well on the Switch. The common theme is that small developers and publishers are seeing the Switch as a great platform for their games.

DH8WOlDV0AA3uVL.jpg

Graceful Explosion Machine is a great game that launched soon after the Switch had hit the market

So, what does this have to do with the Virtual Console? A couple of points come to mind.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, especially when it comes to Nintendo products. I know myself that Nintendo has a strong pull on me and I’m sure it’s the same for others, as well. The Virtual Console is nostalgia in digital form. It can send you back to your childhood and remind you of a better and simpler time. When it comes to making a choice between a game that you've never played or one that you have fond memories of, it is easier to select something that is safe and you know you’ll enjoy, despite playing it a thousand times over.

Secondly, in my experience many Nintendo only gamers just stick to what they know. This is backed up by 3rd parties in past generations talking about how Nintendo only gamers tend to just buy Nintendo games and this is one of the reasons why the big AAA 3rd parties haven’t bothered with Nintendo consoles in the past. Nintendo games are kind of like a safety net or a comfort blanket for a lot gamers.  

Of course, it’s not always as cut and dry as that. Not everyone can buy every game that they want and certain people have to be selective with both their money and how they spend their time. It’s easy to see why people would gravitate more to what is familiar. Also, Nintendo are well known for the amount of polish that they bring to the table when it comes to making their games and this was true even back during the early days. When time and money are limited, again, it’s easy to see why people would choose the safe, but very polished, option of a Nintendo game .

DH8WIt4UMAAbnoK.jpg

Craving a Mega Man game? Why wait for the VC when you can play Mighty Gunvolt Burst

With the Virtual Console not being on the Switch, many Nintendo gamers are trying out these alternative games. These are games that I imagine many would not have tried if something like Super Metroid or Link to the Past had been available to buy, but because these games aren’t available yet, smaller developers/publishers are having their chance to shine and are making a name for themselves.

Many have compared the Switch to the Vita and I think it’s a very good comparison to make. The Vita struggled to get any big support from 3rd parties or even Sony themselves. This left the door open for many indie developers to push their games on the platform and carve a niche audience out for themselves. The same is happening on the Switch.  Without the Virtual Console games hogging the spotlight and taking the money away from the fanbase, the indies are thriving on Nintendo’s hybrid.

Conclusion

I’m not here to say that the Virtual Console is a bad thing, nor will I be upset once the service finally arrives on the Switch. I’m very much looking forward to seeing the classic games of my childhood on my Switch screen. What I will say is that there are over 100 titles on the eShop at the moment, with more on the way, and a lot of them are highly rated and amazing games.  Instead of wishing what was on the Switch, take a look around a see what is already on offer. The Virtual Console service will come but in the meantime there are a host of quality titles waiting to be played. Instead of pining after games that you have already played, take a chance on something new and create some new memories. :peace:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

I'd rather the VC than what's on offer on the e-Shop... but it's a very good point @Hero-of-Time 

Edited by Kav
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kav said:

I'd rather the VC than what's on offer on the e-Shop.

I definitely really want a VC to fill out the gaps for me. The e-Shop either hasnt had anything I want to buy on it or it has games I have already bought and played elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

What a really interesting read, nice work HoT!

Funny I'd never really thought of it that way either, perhaps Nintendo have done this on purpose two fold; to encourage Indie developers more, and to increase sales of their mini retro consoles.

Either way, as much as I love the classic titles I'd much rather see the console bring in new developers and customers than just the same old same old; it didn't work for the Wii U so it's great to see them changing tack with the Switch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think it's a great point. Personally, I want the virtual console on the switch as soon as possible. but objectively, maybe it is a good thing, if virtual console was there would I have bough Kamiko, some Neo geo games, Namco collection, etc? Maybe not, we only have av certain amount of tie and my eshop wish list ingrowing by the week. And these strong sales of indie games may encourage more Indies to develop for it. If virtual console was there - Nintendo 1st parties and VC games may have been enough for some, reduced sales for 3rd parties/Indies and we're in the same old situation. All the indies, the steady increase in 3rd party games are all fantastic for switch!!

Build up the install base, the next spring with the new online service launch virtual console and everyone's a winner!!

• Like 1

I really hadn't considered the above as the reason why there's no Virtual Console at present but it makes complete sense. I've probablt picked up about 12 eShop titles so far and I definitely wouldn't have bought half of them had I been able to play old Nintendo titles. Nice one H-O-T.

• Thanks 1

I can't be the only one who thought "Did he really call the thread 'H-O-T Topic'?

That aside, it's a very well thought out mini-article. There's some solid logic here. Of course, until Virtual Console does come out, there's no way to be certain it has an effect. However, while I feel the lack of VC has some kind of effect. I don't think it's quite as big as some might think. I think the biggest factor so far is the actual quality of non-Ninty games on eShop so far. It's been a hell of a lot better than some of the utter dreck that Wii, WiiU and 3DS got. Of course, early days, but Nintendo being quite selective with who they wanted to get games from has done wonders for the standard of the average eShop game.

Also, put me down as one of those who enjoyed an eShop game more than Zelda, namely Wonder Boy, who anyone who actually wants VC should play.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good post HoT. Personally I don't think it has hurt the Switch's image at all, it's obviously been doing very well in terms of sales numbers. I probably would have played my Switch a little more if VC games had been available but I still feel like I've played it quite a lot and have bought quite a few eShop titles which I might not have purchased if VC were available. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they announce VC services, I just hope that the eShop titles continue to sell well when that happens. 

• Thanks 1

Some good points made here, though the eShop has not been entirely free of retro gaming.  Hamster's ACA releases have really helped to fill the gap left by the VC and they've done very well for themselves (and most of these games are familiar to fans of the Wii VC too).  Despite that though, I'm not sure if it's the biggest factor in the early success with independent developers on the eShop...

33 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I can't be the only one who thought "Did he really call the thread 'H-O-T Topic'?

That aside, it's a very well thought out mini-article. There's some solid logic here. Of course, until Virtual Console does come out, there's no way to be certain it has an effect. However, while I feel the lack of VC has some kind of effect. I don't think it's quite as big as some might think. I think the biggest factor so far is the actual quality of non-Ninty games on eShop so far. It's been a hell of a lot better than some of the utter dreck that Wii, WiiU and 3DS got. Of course, early days, but Nintendo being quite selective with who they wanted to get games from has done wonders for the standard of the average eShop game.

... Glen-i hits the nail on the head for me.  The sheer quality of the Switch's early eShop releases is head and shoulders above what we saw on the Wii U (let alone the pathetic early offerings on 3DS and the non-existent Wii Ware lineup during Wii's first year).  Nintendo's early curation worked wonders really and independent developers brought their A-game to the table right away.

You also have to factor in just how successful the Switch has been, right out of the gate as well.  3DS struggled at first (and Nintendo struggled to even get the eShop up and running at all!) while Wii U was the biggest failure the company has ever put out; the sales success that independent developers have seen on Switch is also a reflection of the success of the hardware itself.

I don't doubt that the lack of VC right away has helped independent games gain some breathing room; but I also don't think that they can't co-exist on the platform.  Switch is a healthy system and the eShop has already shown itself to be a thriving ecosystem where big budget retail games (Splatoon 2), known brands (Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, Overcooked, Minecraft), quality new IPs (Snipperclips, Thumper) and retro re-releases/remakes (Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap, Hamster's ACA series, Namco Museum) can all co-exist and all do well for themselves. While Nintendo arguably don't need the VC right now, their software schedule is going to slow down real fast real soon (unless they knock our socks off tomorrow!) and next year will likely be a different story.

There is a clear hunger for retro games on Switch.  Even ignoring the success of retro games already on there, the VC is probably the most requested thing right now for Switch (and the fever for retro gaming is at an all time high, especially with the NES/SNES mini).  Having it hit Q2 next year would be a good move I feel; giving the SNES mini time to shine and fizzle out and right in time to fill the gaps in Nintendo's software schedule.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been struggling for time recently so the lack of Virtual Console hasn't had too much of an impact but I'd love the service to be available on Switch as soon as possible as I plan to build a huge collection of my favourite retro titles on the console for convenience, portability and other perks such as the ability to suspend play at any time :smile:

There's no doubt the lack of VC will have contributed to better sales of other eShop titles and perhaps the Classic Mini consoles, though I believe the NES and SNES would have sold like H-o-T cakes regardless!

I still don't really want the SNES Classic Mini and would prefer all of that content on my Switch without the need to have yet another device hooked up! Having been hugely into gaming for over 2 decades, there's only so much room you can dedicate to it in your house.. and I'm running out :heh:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nekunando said:

though I believe the NES and SNES would have sold like H-o-T cakes regardless!

Don't you go encouraging him.

• Haha 3

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

14 hours ago, Glen-i said:

What? I thought it was quite clever. :D 

16 hours ago, Kav said:

I'd rather the VC than what's on offer on the e-Shop... but it's a very good point @Hero-of-Time 

May I ask why this is? Is it a case of just having zero interest in whats on offer? 

13 hours ago, Dcubed said:

You also have to factor in just how successful the Switch has been, right out of the gate as well.  3DS struggled at first (and Nintendo struggled to even get the eShop up and running at all!) while Wii U was the biggest failure the company has ever put out; the sales success that independent developers have seen on Switch is also a reflection of the success of the hardware itself.

You make a lot of great points @Dcubed and I agree with most of them. The above point i'm kinda back and forth on. Obviously a bigger install base means more people can buy your product. The Vita has been a bomb for Sony and hasn't sold nearly enough units to class it as a success, yet the indie developers/publishers have seen great sales on the platform. As I mentioned in my first post, I think this is purely because they had no competition from the larger companies. I think if the sales of the Switch had not been as strong as they are, I imagine the indie games would still be thriving due to the lack of competition and, as you mentioned, the general quality of the games on offer.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

May I ask why this is? Is it a case of just having zero interest in whats on offer?

Edited by Kav
Wouldn't save my post so posted below...

Yeah. I looked through the other day and nothing interested me.

I've bought Shovel Knight and that's it really as far as eshop games go.

Edited by Kav
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kav said:

You like the Mega Man games, right? If you are wanting something new to play then I would recommend Mighty Gunvolt Burst.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kav said:

Snipperclips and Sonic Mania are all I've downloaded on Switch from the eShop. The former proved to be more of a source of frustration in multiplayer than hilarity while the latter may have been good but I may genuinely have enjoyed just having the Mega Drive games available on Switch. I definitely love wrapping myself in the nostalgia blanket regularly :love:

I plan to get Shovel Knight at some point when it goes on offer but the desire for it may dwindle if Virtual Console is up and running by then..

58 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Snipperclips and Sonic Mania are all I've downloaded on Switch from the eShop. The former proved to be more of a source of frustration in multiplayer than hilarity while the latter may have been good but I may genuinely have enjoyed just having the Mega Drive games available on Switch. I definitely love wrapping myself in the nostalgia blanket regularly :love:

I plan to get Shovel Knight at some point when it goes on offer but the desire for it may dwindle if Virtual Console is up and running by then..

I've picked up those two also to be fair although I'm not really a fan of Sonic.

I do love Snipperclips though.

...but I've picked them both up mainly for the Mrs' kids. Although I'd much rather have the VC to get them playing games I used to (show then the awesomeness they've missed).

Edited by Kav

I hope Virtual Console arrives on Switch, but we do now have proof that Nintendo can have a huge success without it.  From my point of view, I really want cross-buy established (not just with Nintendo games), so that I have the reassurance Nintendo remembers I've bought Super Metroid and A Link To The Past before... These games are great, but not the miracle workers they once were, and much of the traditional VC was (frankly) filler.

More broadly, I think the Switch eShop is so great because we finally have a parity of sorts with the other consoles.  Switch is not as powerful as PS4 or Xbox One and probably won't get many of the retail releases when it comes down to it, but if there's a popular indie game, there's a good chance of it coming to Nintendo's console.  And for me that's key - the feel that we're actually part of the industry again.  I've said for years there's no point in making a console if you're not keeping up with the others.  Nintendo may not be ready to do that in terms of something that can play "AAA" releases, but it's keeping up with the indie scene, and that's a heck of a good start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great topic @Hero-of-Time. I don't think the lack of Virtual Console so far has hurt the switch. I've been recently thinking about how much of a draw playing old games really is these days, as the generations that grew up playing the are getting older and have had access to re-buying these classics on the two previous Nintendo consoles since 2006. On the flip side of course, the NES and Snes mini both sold out so maybe I'm wrong about the pulling power these games have, but I know for myself, I'm not really interested in buying anymore NES, SNES or N64 games again because I've bought all the ones I want and have ready access to them.

I much prefer that instead of playing Sonic the hedgehog 1, I'm playing Sonic Mania or as you mentioned in your post, Blaster Master Zero instead of the NES original . I'm not against those originals being available for the switch but I am finding myself caring less about replaying/rebuying older games. Even if Gamecube games were to make it to the VC this time around,  I don't think I would buy anything beyond Paper Mario 2. I'd much prefer a remake in the vein of Wind Waker HD when it comes to stuff like Mario Sunshine. So lack of VC hasn't bothered me at all.

• Thanks 2

I suppose we're gonna get an answer to this question soon enough thanks to Hamster... Well, to a certain extent anyway!

Either way, I'm bloody chuffed to bits! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this