NEurope
Julius

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 20th 2019)

We’re 12 months from Episode IX releasing! Which also means that we’re 12 months from The Last Jedi’s release, and I still don’t know where I land on that film...

I really, really enjoy The Force Awakens, and I like The Last Jedi for the most part, but I am nervous as hell for IX; I just think that there’s too much to potentially see and wrap up, and far too little time to do that in — at least when compared to the original trilogy, or even the prequel trilogy, because at this point with those films we knew the general direction that their plots were going in. 

Hopefully we’re only a month or so out from a title reveal, and I’d love to see something prior to Star Wars Celebration in April, but yeah, I’m much more excited for pretty much everything else Lucasfilm has planned for Star Wars right now ::shrug:

There probably felt like a lot to wrap up at the end of Empire and that turned out ok, and a ton happened in Revenge of the Sith, much as I try and forget that horrible, horrible film. I'm actually very confident in IX, I think JJ will do a good job and that's from someone who (for the most part) loved Last Jedi. The only part I'm nervous about is how they'll deal with Carrie Fisher. I'm thrilled she'll be in it, I'm just worried it won't work particularly well. A really tough job they have.

So, that’s a wrap on BB-8 for Episode IX...

sclv5glkz0e21.jpg

Principal photography should be completed by the middle of the month, so I think we can expect a title announcement in the coming weeks. We probably won’t be getting a trailer until mid-April at Star Wars Celebration, as it lines up far too perfectly with the release of Avengers: Endgame (typically trailers are released within the two week window prior to a film which they are aiming to be attached to). 

Any thoughts on a possible title for the film? I’ve been backing A New Order: it harkens back to A New Hope, but is also ambiguous in a way that both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi brought to the table. 

BB-8 has been one of the (many IMO) standout highlights of the sequels so far, fantastic design, personality, character.

On 01/02/2019 at 10:26 PM, Julius said:

Any thoughts on a possible title for the film? I’ve been backing A New Order: it harkens back to A New Hope, but is also ambiguous in a way that both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi brought to the table. 

I could see something like that. The Force Awakens would have actually made a good title for Last Jedi, or at least, the last scene of the Last Jedi. Something that describes Ep IX but also hints at the state of the galaxy post-Skywalker saga maybe.

Aaaaaaaand filming has officially wrapped! 

Just over ten months to go! It's time for the cogs in the promotional onslaught to finally start churning! :D

We should be getting a title soon, surely? Perhaps even by the end of the month? Can't see them holding onto it until April...

To absolutely everyone's surprise (read: no-one's), an Episode IX panel has been announced to be taking place on Friday 12th April at Star Wars Celebration Chicago.

So yeah, I guess now we know the day when we're learning the film's title and seeing it's first trailer. Now we just need a time...

I'll be watching the teaser trailer at Celebration and nothing after that, like I did with 7 and 8. The thatrical trailers are way too spoilery for me, even if they don't ruin plot points, they ruin setpieces and locations etc. I'd love to avoid the teaser too but that'll never happen.

Edited by Ronnie

There was a guy sitting in front of me during Captain Marvel who yelped when the Avengers trailer came on beforehand. He was flailing around stuffing his fingers in his ears until eventually his girlfriend threw a coat over his head.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, bob said:

There was a guy sitting in front of me during Captain Marvel who yelped when the Avengers trailer came on beforehand. He was flailing around stuffing his fingers in his ears until eventually his girlfriend threw a coat over his head.

I’m a tad cooler than that. 

I’m not. 

Won't put the title here yet, just see for yourself!

Edited by Julius

WOW. Was NOT expecting that at the end!!! Both the cameo or the title

Edited by Ronnie

The biggest take-away from the IX panel to me was JJ describing the film as an adventure these characters go on, I LOVED the sound of that. That to me is what Star Wars is about. That's why I think The Phantom Menace is the only decent prequel film. Ep II and III weren't an adventure at all, just a hodgepodge of CGI and setpieces on various places with characters jumping around all over the place. Having this (fantastic) new cast of characters sticking together for a chunk of the film really gives me good vibes.

I'm glad the teaser trailer barely showed anything of the film, makes me happy to go on media blackout from now till release.

I'm not a massive fan of the title, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. My big fear with this film is they've given in to "fan" (and I use that term loosely) pressure and are pandering to their demands rather than follow through with their vision.

The big reveal at the end was incredibly surprising. In no way did I expect that.

Overall very happy, CANNOT f-ing wait. I 100% trust JJ to deliver a brilliant conclusion to the saga and I also liked what he said about having to do that AND tell a great standalone story for these characters. Bring it on.

Plus Lando flying the Falcon again :heart:

My shields can't repel hype of this magnitude!
  • Like 1

I'm sitting here and I'm with a massive Star Wars fan and he keeps watching fans reactions to this trailer.

Meanwhile, I'm just like...

2ygf42.jpg

Yeah, I'm not a Star Wars Fan and yet I've probably seen it more than everyone here...

People seem happy about it at least.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

VERY interesting theory about the title, they've got me convinced...

Would also be a great way of ushering a new post-saga era, whilst still respecting what started it all. Might need to read that book.

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, I'm not a Star Wars Fan and yet I've probably seen it more than everyone here...

I have my doubts about that :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Julius said:

I have my doubts about that :p

Probably should clarify that I'm talking about the latest trailer.

Around 4 hours of inadvertant trailer watching through fan reaction videos.

The trailer is 2 minutes 18 seconds long, let's add 42 seconds for each time he went to find another person reacting to it and make it 3 minutes.

By my calculations that means I've seen it around 81 times. Even if I was playing games while it was going on.

Yeah, I think that would beat some people here.

Edited by Glen-i

38 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, I think that would beat some people here.

Not me. For starters. 

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Not me. For starters. 

I can't help but feel that there are some things you just don't brag about.

Nice to see you're so hyped about it.

I've seen it once so I definitely don't win this fight. 

On 12/04/2019 at 8:34 PM, Ronnie said:

I'm not a massive fan of the title, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. My big fear with this film is they've given in to "fan" (and I use that term loosely) pressure and are pandering to their demands rather than follow through with their vision.

Exactly what I read into the title.

Unfortunately I don't share your enthusiasm for the movie itself.