NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

No More Heroes: Travis Touchdown Strikes Again

TSA-NMH_09-01-17.jpg

Announced for the Switch during the indie showcase the other day, more details about the game have now surfaced.

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is a raucous 3D action title, where Travis touchdown wields the Beam Katana to massacre his way through countless enemies, taking on ferocious bosses in an epic battle with Badman. This marks the first time in ten years that Goichi “Suda51” Suda has taken on the mantle of director.

“We’ve received a tremendous amount of support from our fans over the years, and we are delighted to finally share Travis Touchdown’s next great adventure with fans of Nintendo Switch,” said Goichi “Suda51” Suda, founder of Grasshopper Manufacture. “We’re ecstatic to be expanding the No More Heroes universe in 2018, and we can’t wait to share more information with you in the coming months.”

Set in the remote countryside of the southern US, seven years has passed since the events of No More Heroes. Badman has come to exact his revenge on Travis for the murder of his daughter, Badgirl. As the two foes are battling it out, they’re sucked inside the phantom game console ‘Death Drive MK-II’, a machine developed by Doctor Juvenile. It is said that whomever collects and beats all six of its games will have their wishes granted.

Suda also confirmed that Shovel Knight will be one of the six worlds based on indie games when he showed up to the show and done this.

94c33f6de4b96aabd6664de440416dce.png

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 3

First gameplay video from GDC:

Edited by MindFreak
New video uploaded
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't look like I was hoping it would. This is more like an indie version in the No More Heroes universe. I will probably buy it and support Suda51 since that might get him to release No More Heroes 3 (and remasters of the other two?) on the system in the future. I just don't hope it will be a full priced game, because it kinda looks like a low effort-game. Still digging the sounds and look of this though, but I really miss the gore, the fighting system and the crazy stories and voice acting in the original games.

Looks awesome, can't wait. :D

I wasn't expecting a full-blown sequel in the same style as the previous games, in fact... I think I like this style more, it just translates really well to this format. :)

There were loads of really neat small touches, like how the gore turns into Red, Green and Blue so it's as if the characters are literally bleeding RGB all over the place. :grin:

It's surreal, there's plenty of good humour in the dialogue it seems and this is just one part of a larger whole.

Perfect demo, leaves you wanting more... now, if only they'd release this demo on the eShop in the meantime, that would have been something special. ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Doesn't look like I was hoping it would. This is more like an indie version in the No More Heroes universe. I will probably buy it and support Suda51 since that might get him to release No More Heroes 3 (and remasters of the other two?) on the system in the future. I just don't hope it will be a full priced game, because it kinda looks like a low effort-game. Still digging the sounds and look of this though, but I really miss the gore, the fighting system and the crazy stories and voice acting in the original games.

... that's actually the intention...

It's a big celebration of indie games and Suda's roots as an indie developer.

Most importantly, it looks like the writing and the style is exactly what you'd hope for from a Suda directed game!  His absence as director has been very noticeable in every game that Grasshopper has put out since the original NMH (The last game Suda himself directed), but this definitely seems to be channeling those vibes that made his games such classics! :D 

• Thanks 2

As a big fan on No More Heroes and, to a marginally lesser extent, Desperate Struggle, I'm feeling unconvinced by Travis Strikes Again from what we've seen so far.

I didn't expect a game that would play out like the first two but what I'm seeing isn't really what I anticipated either :hmm:

I'm certainly interested in seeing more but the hype isn't there right now!

Release date.

Not a great release date for me. Too many big hitters out around then, like Resident Evil 2 and Kingdom Hearts.

• Thanks 1

A bit disappointed with the direction that they've gone in with this game. I really enjoyed NMH and Desperate Struggle. It was quite exciting to see what the next game could look like with better hardware, so it's disappointing that this is the route that is chosen instead. The video shown above did nothing for me.  

Was going to grab it day 1 (despite  the reviews), but I'm kind of busy right now, and could use the money until end of the month. I'll get it in a week.

So they patched in a brand new intro video for the game (messing up part of my review in the process :hehe:) and yeah... It’s quite a game changer when it comes to the story! :eek: 

The original intro can still be seen by hanging on the title screen, BTW. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@RedShell, this part of your review really stuck out to me and I found it to be true..

Travis Strikes Again is a tricky game to recommend in the sense that it’s a very esoteric product. Anyone that can appreciate the eccentric vibe, humour and retro aesthetic should find themselves having a good time. Whereas if none of those aspects are particularly appealing that’s likely to have quite a negative impact on your enjoyment of the experience.

I snapped up the game on release date and only managed to put in an hour before calling it quits. I found the thing really repetitive and I didn't care for the humour at all.

I suppose it's my own fault for buying the game. I mean, i've never been a big fan of their games in the first place. I thought the original No More Heroes was average at best and I found Killer 7 to be a weird and rubbish game. The only one which I really enjoyed and loved was Lollipop Chainsaw.

Did you buy it physically, download it or get a review code? The reason I ask is because for some reason there were 2 season pass codes in my copy. I'll fire one your way if you want it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@RedShell, this part of your review really stuck out to me and I found it to be true..

I snapped up the game on release date and only managed to put in an hour before calling it quits. I found the thing really repetitive and I didn't care for the humour at all.

I suppose it's my own fault for buying the game. I mean, i've never been a big fan of their games in the first place. I thought the original No More Heroes was average at best and I found Killer 7 to be a weird and rubbish game. The only one which I really enjoyed and loved was Lollipop Chainsaw.

Did you buy it physically, download it or get a review code? The reason I ask is because for some reason there were 2 season pass codes in my copy. I'll fire one your way if you want it.

It was a review code. Only got it a few days before the launch of the game too, so couldn't get the review done any sooner unfortunately. 

But yeah, I'd gladly take that DLC code, thanks. :)

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

But yeah, I'd gladly take that DLC code, thanks. :)

No probs. I'll hunt in out when I get home from work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting interview with Suda 51 regarding the making of Travis Strikes Again...

https://nintendoeverything.com/suda51-on-making-travis-strikes-again-scrapped-plans-for-golden-dragon-gp-no-more-heroes-future/

... turns out that all of the different games included in TSA were once cancelled Grasshopper games! Brought back from the dead and compiled into TSA! (Not unlike what Nintendo did with Labo!)

Still haven’t had time to play this one yet, but I’m really looking forward to doing so at some point! :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

From the first DLC pack:

D0coG4HUcAILKGt.jpg

:laughing:

New T-shirts!:

Spoiler

D0coLCxVYAAf_FQ.jpg

D0coP8IU0AAaycr.jpg

D0coVXvUwAAWdFk.jpg

Replayed the first stage as Shinobu. She has a couple of exclusive skill chips which are pretty cool, and there's new dialogue to enjoy as well. :)

Cheers again @Hero-of-Time, for hooking me up with the DLC code. :)

• Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this