NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Miiverse, Wii U Chat and Tvii Shutdown In November

I still find it bizarre that there is no Miiverse for Switch. I enjoyed using it to document my way through games. Twitter isn't quite the same.

6 minutes ago, Blade said:

I still find it bizarre that there is no Miiverse for Switch. I enjoyed using it to document my way through games. Twitter isn't quite the same.

It's because they want people to share things out and it act as promotion rather than resonate in an echo chamber :/

It's still a baffling decision. Miiverse is the one thing they actually got right with the Wii U and now it's been given the boot. Sad times. :(

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Serebii said:

It's because they want people to share things out and it act as promotion rather than resonate in an echo chamber :/

That's it exactly

Miiverse was literally the best feature of any Nintendo console ever, and one of the many reasons why the Wii U is my all-time favourite console (and also a huge part of why I don't like the Switch lol)... I'm extremely sad to see it go, and so soon, too... :cry:

• Like 2

Here are the details from NoA.

Why are you shutting down Miiverse?
- We started the Miiverse service in 2012 along with the launch of the Wii U system because we wanted to provide a space where users could share their feelings about games with each other. Thanks to users' support throughout the years, we think we were able to achieve that goal. We decided to end the service at this time because, among other reasons, many users are shifting to social networking services.
- Users can download their old Miiverse posts (without comments or messages from others) by visiting http://miiverse.nintendo.net and registering before the Miiverse service ends on Nov. 7, 2017 at 10 p.m. PT. Once registered, users will receive an e-mail via Nintendo Account mail a few weeks after the Miiverse service ends, which will include a unique URL to download their past Miiverse posts.

When will the Miiverse service end?
- Nov. 7, 2017 at 10 p.m. PT
- Once the Miiverse service ends, users will not be able to access Miiverse on Wii U, any of the Nintendo 3DS family of systems or an Internet browser on PCs and smart devices.

Will the Miiverse icon still be displayed on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS Home Menu?
- Yes. The Miiverse icon will continue to appear, but an error message will be displayed when it is pressed.

Many games use Miiverse as a major game-play feature, including Super Mario Maker for Wii U. What happens to those games when Miiverse shuts down?
- Super Mario Maker (Wii U): Users will still be able to share levels, but will no longer be able to comment on them.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): While users will still be able to play Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars and complete all 88 levels in the main game, the Community feature will be discontinued, preventing players from sharing levels and receiving additional Stars. As there will be a limit to the number of Stars that can be obtained, not all objects may be unlocked from the Workshop.
- Splatoon (Wii U): Miiverse posts will no longer display in Inkopolis Plaza or the game's stage maps.
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Wii U, Nintendo 3DS): The Miiverse stage will still be playable, but Miiverse user posts will not display in the background. Players will also be unable to post replays to YouTube/Miiverse, share stages or create tournaments.
- Mario Kart 8 (Wii U): Players will not be able to upload game-play videos to YouTube since they also post to Miiverse at the same time. The tournament function will also not be available.
- Super Mario 3D World (Wii U): In Super Mario 3D World, the Miiverse posts that appear on the course select screen and when selecting courses will disappear. Players will still be able to collect in-game stamps, but not post them to Miiverse.
- Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U): In Xenoblade Chronicles X, the BLADE report feature will no longer be available.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars will be losing major features. Will you continue selling the game?
- Yes, the game will continue to be sold. Users will still be able to complete all 88 levels in the main game, and create and play their own levels locally.

Will Miiverse posts still display in Wara Wara Plaza on Wii U?
- Moving forward, default Miiverse posts that appear during offline mode will be displayed in Wara Wara Plaza.

Will Wii U Chat still function after the closure of Miiverse?
- The Wii U Chat service will be discontinued with Miiverse on Nov. 7, 2017, at 10 p.m. PT.

Can users still view their old Miiverse posts once the service is shut down?
- Users can download their old Miiverse posts (without comments or messages from others) by visiting http://miiverse.nintendo.net and registering before the Miiverse service ends on Nov. 7, 2017 at 10 p.m. PT. Once registered, users will receive an e-mail via Nintendo Account mail a few weeks after the Miiverse service ends, which will include a unique URL to download their past Miiverse posts.

Will there be a similar service to replace Miiverse on Nintendo Switch?
- Currently Nintendo has no plans to implement any services to replace Miiverse, but the Nintendo Switch system includes features for connecting with Facebook and other social networking services.

We all knew it would happen eventually, but it's shocking that it's happening so soon :(

The 3DS isn't even dead yet!

40 minutes ago, Serebii said:

I imagine that's probably a very minor reason really, most people won't post gaming stuff on their FB/Twitter pages (that's why Miiverse was made in the first place).  No, I'm pretty sure that the real reason boils down to cost savings.  Moderating Miiverse posts come with a non unsubstantial manpower cost and these platforms are on their way out (one is already 2 feet under even).  They obviously felt that it wasn't worth the cost of keeping it running anymore.

I think it's quite disgusting that they're shutting it down just over half a year after the Switch launches!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

We all knew it would happen eventually, but it's shocking that it's happening so soon :(

The 3DS isn't even dead yet!

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I think it's quite disgusting that they're shutting it down just over half a year after the Switch launches!

How fast this is happening is what hurts the most. You have a system which is still finding its legs and a handheld that has had an amazing software lineup for the year. They should have at least waited until the 1 year anniversary of the Switch launch. A lot of people, especially children will be getting 3DS games for Christmas that have just been released this year ( Miitopia, Monster Hunter Stories, Metroid, Pikmin etc. ) and won't have the opportunity to post the Miiverse adventures. 

You have to wonder, if Iwata was still around would he have been as ruthless in pulling the plug of Miiverse so soon? I honestly don't think he would have.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

How fast this is happening is what hurts the most. You have a system which is still finding its legs and a handheld that has had an amazing software lineup for the year. They should have at least waited until the 1 year anniversary of the Switch launch. A lot of people, especially children will be getting 3DS games for Christmas that have just been released this year ( Miitopia, Monster Hunter Stories, Metroid, Pikmin etc. ) and won't have the opportunity to post the Miiverse adventures. 

You have to wonder, if Iwata was still around would he have been as ruthless in pulling the plug of Miiverse so soon? I honestly don't think he would have.

You even have 3DS games like Kirby's Blowout Blast that only just came out a month ago with Miiverse buttons that take you directly to the game's Miiverse community! Talk about cutting it off at the knees!

• Like 2

I knew this would happen, but so soon though.  The 3DS still has games coming for it, and as it's been said already, there will be 3DS consoles and games bought for Christmas.  And without Miiverse (which is a family friendly environment, perfect for the younger gamer), they won't be able to share favorite moments in-game with everyone.

It sucks, but what can you do.

2 hours ago, Serebii said:

The best way to do that is to have Miiverse and allow people to link their Facebook account to also post there. 

While the shutting down of Miiverse is expected, them not patching certain games is downright disgusting and is a bad sign for Switch owners, a sign that Nintendo don't care about fixing things that can easily be fixed. 

The YouTube feature in Smash/Mario Kart could easily be kept by puling out the "posting to Miiverse" part of it, Tipping Stars could give you enough free stars (perhaps on completion of all levels) so you can unlock everything, and Splatoon/Smash could have a "best of Miiverse" selection of posts to populate the hub/Miiverse stage.

• Like 6

Like Cube has said above, the games that are being neutered because of Miiverse shutting down could have quite easily been patched so that other features could continue.

1 hour ago, Cube said:

The best way to do that is to have Miiverse and allow people to link their Facebook account to also post there. 

While the shutting down of Miiverse is expected, them not patching certain games is downright disgusting and is a bad sign for Switch owners, a sign that Nintendo don't care about fixing things that can easily be fixed. 

The YouTube feature in Smash/Mario Kart could easily be kept by puling out the "posting to Miiverse" part of it, Tipping Stars could give you enough free stars (perhaps on completion of all levels) so you can unlock everything, and Splatoon/Smash could have a "best of Miiverse" selection of posts to populate the hub/Miiverse stage.

To play devil's advocate here, it wouldn't be an unsubstantial undertaking and investment in manpower to come up with offline solutions for all of their first party games that incorporated Miiverse (which is most of them), after the fact; especially considering that Wii U is deader than dead at this point.  It's not hard to see why they're not doing it.

What they should be dinged for is not coming up with forward thinking solutions for when they were developing these games in the first place.  They made these games with the knowledge that these online services would not be available forever, so they should've thought about coming up with offline solutions when making the games in the first place.  This is also why all online games should be incorporating LAN options too (thankfully they seem to be doing this with Switch at least).

Edited by Dcubed

Far too soon imo - especially with many Wii u's and particularly 3DS's out there and games integrated into it. Massive fuck you to the fans imo - why shut it down so soon? Enough people were fucked off with the Wii u as it was - give them some support for another year or two at least until Switch has a more than solid foothold?

Big slap in the face imo - also big loss to a game like Mario Maker. Another example of Nintendo not learning lessons and repeating mistakes imo - it's the same as the Wii servers shutdown(who's gonna give me the excuse of hosting being out of their hands again this time??) as I see it, and not necessary quite right now. They obviously seem to have implemented something without forethought to real long-term sustainability - the crux of most of what I end up finding criticism against Nintendo for.

It's a choice they're making here imo, and I think it's a terrible one that someehat harshly disrespects the loyalty of some of their fans and consumers.

• Like 2

Wow. The speed of this isn't too shocking looking at the gc and wii support once the next generation launched... but with those two consoles, the online wasn't really all that present. The Wii was more palatable given the circumstances too... but.. yeah this really affects my decision making process about how worth while getting a switch may be.

Maybe switch will be better supported as it is paid for, but who knows. Maybe this is simply to make segregating the paid for online services from unpaid services more easily? I certainly hope basic online functionality (ha.. I know it already was fairly basic!) remains for the most part...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Pestneb said:

yeah this really affects my decision making process about how worth while getting a switch may be.

Maybe switch will be better supported as it is paid for, but who knows. Maybe this is simply to make segregating the paid for online services from unpaid services more easily? I certainly hope basic online functionality (ha.. I know it already was fairly basic!) remains for the most part...

Personally I'm somewhat the same. I really want one, but for the price it's at and the trust I frankly don't have in Nintendo after seeing them do something like this again really makes it a difficult purchase for me. I can't invest in something like that if it's online/game features are going to be taken off within 5 years, though as you say hopefully it won't be like that with the paid service - but even that puts me off because I don't see the value in it.

It's a real shame as the Switch ticks a lot of boxes for me and I would without a doubt be gaming far more(and probably actually gotten somewhere in BotW) if I had a Switch, but for me they're making it hard to take that plunge :(

To be honest I'm not finding the same kind of time for gaming as I used to have. I'm getting older so really good online tools are pretty much something I would need to get the social aspect of gaming. I do still like the challenge of single player games, I appreciated exploring in BotW and enjoying things a bit, but tbh I couldn't help but wonder how much better it may have been if say everyone on here was playing it on the Wii U and there was some kind of miiverse interactivity. I'm thinking like the horse outposts places. You could have had "in game" characters versions of mii's (so not outright Miis but still recognisable to an extent) and I could just see various members recanting stories. Maybe miiverse posts that they actually posted, or just like acheivements "defeat first guardian" "defeat a hinox" etc. and they could have slightly bespoke variations on their story - how they were close to death, if it wasn't for the elixir they drank, they defeated it without taking damage, climbed a mountain blah blah. Maybe some interactivity, like sending a bespoke message back to them that they would receive if they chat to your miiverse avatar in an outpost, or even just a yeah. Maybe not the atmosphere they were after, but I just think it could have been interesting... they could even have made mini cut scenes, like those memory ones (though a lot less animated :D) and had subtitles... made the mii's rare or even sometimes wondering in the wild, camping, getting attacked by enemies etc.

Sorry.. got a bit distracted by BotW there! But basically I think miiverse was great, and even if they changed miiverse into a simple tag - so you can post to a twitter account and then it automatically adds a #miiverse into the tweet, maybe a #NNID[friendcode] and then work from that (maybe it is against the t&c on twitter though?)

But totally, value of the Nintendo brand for me just dipped and given upcoming new priorities, I'm struggling to see a place for the switch at all. I've had all of the Nintendo consoles at some point in my life - the nes, snes, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, gb, gba, ds and 3ds... but with the switch I'm not even sure I'll ever get to play one.

It's disappointing, but Miiverse has been fairly dead to me ever since it was known the Switch wouldn't continue it. I've not really bothered with it since.

Both Miiverse and StreetPass had so much potential, Nintendo didn't make the most of them.

Today is the final day for Miiverse. I believe it will shut down 10pm uk time

Waking up to a world without Miiverse sucked even more than I thought it would. :cry:

At least I managed to complete all of my personal goals before the end. First off, I finally completed a several-weeks-long mission of unlocking the final outfit in Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, to show it off on Miiverse. Thankfully, it was well worth the time and effort, as it's very possibly the best outfit in the entire game!

...And finally, I wanted to make another drawing as my final Miiverse post. It's a bit more rushed than some of my previous drawings, but I'm still very proud of the result:

tumblr_oz2lfbk1PK1s2z9vko1_400.png

Spoiler

With the final hours of Miiverse drawing ever closer, I was determined to complete one last drawing before the end. This time, I decided to focus on my current obsession and favourite Ace Attorney du- oh! Sorry, Mr. Hat - I meant trio, of course! 

I’m really looking forward to the 3DS release of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney in just a few weeks! Too bad I won’t be able to post about it on Miiverse, though… 

…Is it terribly obvious that I’ve never drawn any of these three before? Ahaha… 

(Also, I totally ship them. Whoops~)

I wonder if I got any more comments or Yeahs on those posts after I fell asleep... I stayed up most of the night just looking at other people's wonderful Miiverse posts, but wasn't awake for the final ~90 minutes, so maybe I got some in those very last moments? Maybe they'll be included in my post history when it arrives...?

Edited by FireMeowth
  • Like 1