NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Secret of Mana Remake (PS4/Vita)

One of the greatest RPGs of all time, Secret of Mana, is coming back to life in 3D! Secret of Mana will come to PS4 and PS Vita digitally worldwide on 15th February 2018.

Secret of Mana holds a special place in many hearts here in the office, so we could not be more excited for new fans to experience the time-honoured classic for the first time, and for existing fans to dive back into the fun fantasy adventure that they know and love.

“I’ve heard of Secret of Mana, but I never played it and I’m just used to more modern graphics.”

The above is basically the gist of conversations I have had with most of my gamer friends, and could possibly describe how many of you feel about the game. We’re here to fix that! Here’s what you should know about the remake:

The game will faithfully adapt the beloved story and top-down gameplay while adopting modern 3D graphics and controls. Meaning that the game has been fully rebuilt from the ground up, but still remains true to the whimsical gameplay of the original. In this new remake, you can expect the great game all your friends have been saying you missed out on, reborn.

After playing the original, watching this trailer hits me right in the nostalgic feels… EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. So, if you’re like me and played the classic version, but wonder what new things you can look forward to outside of the completely revamped 3D graphics and updated gameplay:

1. Voiced characters: That’s right, you heard Randi in the trailer and you’ll finally get to hear Randi, Primm, Popoi and many other characters talk and express themselves throughout their adventure!

To add to that, the game will have language options which will allow players to experience the game using Japanese voices and/or subtitles.
  2. A newly arranged soundtrack: We’re excited for you to hear a beautiful, newly arranged soundtrack that pays tribute to the original.
  3. Local multiplayer: Yes! Sit down with two of your friends (up to three players) to experience the adventure together.

To give you the lowdown on the story: Secret of Mana revolves around a courageous young man named Randi. I think Randi will successfully make headbands cool again (some may argue they were always cool, and I would agree.) Anyway… Randi inadvertently discovers the Mana Sword, a weapon of great power, and finds out that he can harness the great power of Mana. He then embarks on a quest to defeat the evil forces attempting to control Mana, and is joined by a tenacious and caring noblewoman named Primm, and a mischievous yet kind sprite named Popoi. Together, the trio take on a treacherous empire in attempts to bring balance to the world.

“If I love the series and want something a little extra to make my experience that much better, what is there?”

You are in LUCK sir and/or madam. If you pre-order the game on PlayStation Store then at launch you’ll receive:

• Individual PSN avatars for Randi, Primm, and Popoi
  • DLC costumes
    • “Moogle Suit” for Randi, Primm, Popoi
    • “Tiger Two-Piece” for Primm
    • “Tiger Suit” for Randi and Popoi

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 3

Square Enix's choice to have the original Secret of Mana on the SNES Classic suddenly makes a lot of sense: it's absolutely a well-timed move to grow the fan base before the release of this remake.

I can definitely see Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger receiving similar treatment in the years to come, but it's a shame we don't have a confirmation for it coming to Switch yet.

*comes home from the gym; checks the N-Europe Forums, as usual; reads "Secret of Mana Remake (PS4/PSVita)" in the sidebar*

agape.gif

galv5Il.gif

Now the SNES Mini selection makes a lot more sense.

Also...

WHAT THE FUCK!?

That's a completely random choice for a remake! Good on you, Square. Let's hope your streak of not very good 3D remakes of 2D games stops here, huh? I'd like to finally finish this game myself without it glitching my file into oblivion... three times...

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

what new things you can look forward to outside of the completely revamped 3D graphics and updated gameplay:

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Local multiplayer: Yes! Sit down with two of your friends (up to three players) to experience the adventure together.

giphy.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm guessing that number 2 is just for show.

That's very naughty Square. The SNES version exists. Also, since when was the guy called Randi? I'm sure he never had a name in the original.

EDIT: On second thought, seeing an actual screenshot of gameplay...

introduction-fig02.jpg

There's something kinda... bland about it. I think I'll just play it on the SNES Mini. I guess it all boils down to whether this version has sensible hit detection.

Edited by Glen-i

Seems really weird not to announce a Switch version considering the Nintendo console heritage of the series, hopefully one is coming. 

Never played the game myself, it's one of the ones I'm keen to play on the SNES classic, but I understand the importance of it to a lot of people so it's good to see Square seem to be putting a lot of care and effort into this remake.

Let's be honest, this is being made by Square. A few month after it's out it'll be available on everything, including mobile phones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

Never played the game myself, it's one of the ones I'm keen to play on the SNES classic, but I understand the importance of it to a lot of people so it's good to see Square seem to be putting a lot of care and effort into this remake.

I wouldn't be so sure of that...

This is the mobile remake of Adventure of Mana, the game that came before Secret of Mana.

1-noscale.jpg

I smell a lot of Asset reuse.

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

Seems really weird not to announce a Switch version considering the Nintendo console heritage of the series, hopefully one is coming. 

Might be because they just released the collection, maybe. Or Sony threw money at SE.

There's no technical reason it can't.

Yergh. I do not like the art style one bit.

Sticking to the SNES Classic Mini version

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Serebii said:

Yergh. I do not like the art style one bit.

Sticking to the SNES Classic Mini version

So if this comes to the Switch you won't be buying it? :p

The art style is very much in the style of the Mana/FF Adventure game that was released last year on the Vita. A game that I very much enjoyed.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So if this comes to the Switch you won't be buying it? :p

The art style is very much in the style of the Mana/FF Adventure game that was released last year on the Vita. A game that I very much enjoyed.

My self loathing may make me buy it as Secret of Mana is one of my favourite games of all time :p

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm guessing that number 2 is just for show.

That's very naughty Square. The SNES version exists. Also, since when was the guy called Randi? I'm sure he never had a name in the original.

If a player character dies they'll switch to an available character if no other character is available (either through already being dead or being currently played) their number just disappears. So number 3 player in that screenshot could literally just be dead. Or player 2 was the Sprite, died and switched to Marle. 

Also this was one of those games whose story was absolutely butchered when translated to English. So yeah, dude face heroes name is actually Randi. 

2 minutes ago, Serebii said:

My self loathing may make me buy it as Secret of Mana is one of my favourite games of all time :p

I know it is. When I made the thread I was thinking "Serebii ain't gonna like this." :D

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I know it is. When I made the thread I was thinking "Serebii ain't gonna like this." :D

It's just the art style is so flat and removes so much of the nuance from the sprite work :(

21 minutes ago, Nolan said:

If a player character dies they'll switch to an available character if no other character is available (either through already being dead or being currently played) their number just disappears. So number 3 player in that screenshot could literally just be dead. Or player 2 was the Sprite, died and switched to Marle. 

Also this was one of those games whose story was absolutely butchered when translated to English. So yeah, dude face heroes name is actually Randi. 

My point was that they were advertising Local Multiplayer as a new feature, when it was in the original. It's very cheeky. Didn't know that he always had a name. I always called him "Bloke" Along with "Girl" and "Sprite"

Edited by Glen-i

Wow! They really beat SOM with the ugly stick!

Still, it might mean that we'll finally get a version of this game that isn't riddled with more bugs than an ant hill; so for that reason alone, I'm interested :)

Square Enix will release a PS4 retail version of the Secret of Mana remake in Europe. Just as with Lost Sphear, it's a regular retail release and not a Square Enix online store exclusive. 

Both the retail release and the digital edition cost €39.99 and will launch on February 15, 2018. The PC and Vita versions will remain digital only.

In for the retail version.

• Like 2

Bumpitybump.

Just saw this on PSstore, completely forgot it was happening, much less next Thursday. 

......also forgot it was $40 :/ I love the game but dunno if I can justify it. I probably will...

Sign in to follow this