NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Biomutant (PS4/XB1/PC)

From its Steam page:

BIOMUTANT® is an open-word, post-apocalyptic Kung-Fu fable RPG, with a unique martial arts styled combat system allowing you to mix melee, shooting and mutant ability action.

Key Features:

• A NEW TAKE ON 3rd PERSON COMBAT
    The martial arts style combat system allows you maximum freedom of movement and agility while mixing shooting, melee and powers from your mutations. Learning new Wushu combat forms through progression and learning from masters you’ll meet, will constantly add to your choices and make sure combat never gets old.

• EVOLVE YOUR GAME-PLAY
    You’ll be able to re-code your genetic structure to change the way you look and play. This will of course affect your attributes and in addition to this, exposure to bio-contamination in the world will lead to physical mutations like mantis-claws and barbed tails, while exposure to radioactivity found in bunkers from the old world will affect your mind and unlock psi-mutations like telekinesis, levitation and more.

• NEXT LEVEL OF CRAFTING
    You are totally free when crafting weapons. Mix and match parts to create your own unique 1H or 2H slash, crush and pierce melee weapons. Revolvers, rifles and shotguns and add modifications like cork-screws and battery-powered chainsaw modules to bio-contaminated sludge vials adding to your combat arsenal. There are even characters you’ll meet that’ll craft cool stuff for you, like bionic wings, a jump-pack and even let you modify your Automaton - the scrap-toy sidekick!

• GEAR UP FOR ADVENTURE
    You are totally free when equipping your character. Not only when it comes to choosing weapons you created, but what type of gear you wear. Equip a gas-mask and an oxygen tank for exploring the Dead Zones, thermos-resistant clothes for venturing into cryonic areas or protective gear for taking on bio-contaminated creatures, the choice is up to you.

• SURVIVE IN A VIBRANT OPEN WORLD
    You are free to explore the world and what lies beneath its surface, by foot, mech, jet-ski, air-balloon or area unique mounts. Explore the dying wildland, the tunnels and bunker networks of the underworld, and find your way up the mountains or out in the archipelago. There are lots of discoveries to be made, mysteries to unravel, creatures to confront and weird characters to meet in this vibrant and colorful world.

• AN UNUSUAL STORY WITH AN UNUSUAL END
    Your actions play a major part in the unfolding of a story where End is coming to the New World. A plague is ruining the land and the Tree-of-Life is bleeding death from its roots. The Tribes stand divided, in need of someone strong enough to unite them or bring them all down...
    You are guided through the world by a Storyteller that narrates every step of your journey, but it’s your actions and choices that’ll decide how your story of survival ends.

Looks great. Can't wait to see more.

• Like 1

Haha nice stuff from THQ Nordic there. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the game and how it plays as it looks interesting but the footage from Gamescom looked a little rough gameplay wise, though not enough to put me off of the game. There's an interesting game and premise there so I'm glad it'll get a bit more of a push with THQ Nordic behind it and hopefully we'll see more in the coming weeks/months (maybe even out of PSX).

Edited by Ganepark32

This finally resurfaced yesterday as part of IGN's Summer of Gaming event. They had a developer interview that showed off gameplay and it looks as though a lot has changed.

No doubt people will instantly start throwing the "Looks like BOTW" statement at it :indeed: but I think it has more of an air of Darksiders going for it with a mix of Mad Max in there. Definitely looks good though. Still no release date, though they seem like they're in the final QA stages so maybe it'll finally launch this year. Who knows.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

No doubt people will instantly start throwing the "Looks like BOTW" statement at it :indeed:

As many other games, this one looks so much more interesting than BotW.

I need it now :D

World overview trailer:

The world looks super cosy...buuuuuuut the lack of extended gameplay footage since it resurfaced feels like a bit of a red flag. I really hope I'm wrong, though, because again, it looks like a super cosy time, especially in the summer! 

With it being May 4th, Star Wars Day, Experiment 101 have done a parody trailer for this and its great:

Genuienly hoping this turns out to be good. For a small team of what's supposed to be 11 people, they've certainly made it look great visually and the little bits of gameplay looks solid too. Just hoping it all comes together as a full package as it's a game I've been looking forward to for years at this point. Regardless, I'll probably be picking it up on May 25th so here's hoping its a good'un.

Some hands off gameplay previews seem to be creeping out. This one from Game Informer gives a good look at some general gameplay and it looks pretty good:

Its just a shame that it was hands off gameplay but guess THQ Nordic haven't set up a method for doing that like some devs/publishers have. Hopefully get some in the coming days given that we're now less than 3 weeks to launch. Hands on in the lead up to reviews will be the real test of how the game's going to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read the PushSquare preview and it sounds very promising. I’ll be keeping my eye out on how it fares closer to launch.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

Explanation trailer put out to go over some of the game, giving some more footage of powers and gameplay:

The review embargo also looks like it'll end on Monday 24th at 4pm BST so we'll see then whether its made good on some of the initial promise in the trailers. I'm hoping for there to be a lot of solid 8s, with a few 7s, but at this point its anyone's guess. Haven't put down my pre-order on the PS Store and kind of hoping the reviews will be good enough otherwise I may wait a little bit what with Ratchet and Clank on the horizon.

• Like 1

Devs have confirmed that the game will run in 4k60 on Series X, 1440p/30 on Series S (but don't have a Series S to capture footage of the game running :blank:) and will run at 1080p/60 on a PS5 through BC.

They're saying that there's technical reasons for how it'll run on PS5, presumably with how Sony has implemented BC on the hardware (from what I gather it brute forces the games to run and not in a very elegant manner which is why all PS4 games now carry a disclaimer on the PS Store saying that things might run as smoothly on a PS5 as compared to a PS4). Its understandable because of how BC works on the PS5 but its still disappointing that its not even matching the Series S for resolution.

Native next gen versions are coming apparently so hopefully that'll resolve that issue but yeah, its disappointing to say the least. Suppose they're at least getting the info out there ahead of time and they are only a small team but its hopefully something they can sort with the PS4 version running in BC or that the native PS5 version will come along soon.

Reviews aren't looking all that hot...

Flicking through some of the reviews it seems to be a case of stretching to do too much without doing any one thing great in particular (which almost seems in line with expectations?), but it seems like some still enjoyed it. 

Look forward to seeing the thoughts of those picking it up on here :peace:

Edited by Julius

I had hoped it'd at least hit an average in the 70s but the reviews have largely been scathing on a multitude of aspects. Shame really because with it coming from a small studio and being a new IP, there's always the hope that it'll do well but I imagine the scores will scupper the game in the long run, especially as I'm seeing plenty now saying they'll wait for the inevitable sale or Gamepass/PS Now/PS Plus announcement.

From my perspective, I think I was just hoping for it to turn out good considering how long it had been since it was announced but it sounds like it follows an older school of thought with its game design. From all the talk of the devs of what games they were inspired by, it seems like they haven't really taken on what makes those games great and have just pulled from too many places and ended up in the middle of nowhere with something average at best and, from what I hear about it running on PS5 through BC, woeful at worst.

I didn't have it pre-ordered as I was waiting for reviews to make a final decision so I guess they've made it for me. I'll wait for a sale despite wanting to support the devs who've clearly worked hard over the years on it. Shame as I was wanting something more action oriented to run alongside playing Subnautica Below Zero and ME Legendary Edition. Perhaps I'll look at Nier Replicant or wait and see what the Days of Play sale brings on Wednesday (still undecided on Miles Morales).

Started this one yesterday. 
Played for 45 minutes, which means I completed the tutorial mission and everything screams "average" :laughing: 

Combat has been pretty bare bones. To be fair, I have unlocked barely anything so the jury is obviously still out. 
The narrator does a great job, but it seems like he has to do everything regarding the voices. NPCs appear to only repeat some lines of gibberish and the narrator basically translates it. 

The game looks pretty, but I haven't seen much, of course.
Sound and music are instantly forgettable.

Gonna give this a more thorough go later today and will definitely keep my expectations in check and always remind myself that only 20 people worked on Biomutant.

What a weird game.

Everything is so unimpressive and yet, I've played it for three hours straight just now.

Combat is already repetitive and your moves lack meaningful impact, clearing outposts (which seems to be part of the main quest) plays out the same every time, the dark-light-moral-system seems to be useless and the characters are all forgettable.

And yet...I couldn't stop playing for a while :D Looted stuff, did some quests, cleared some outposts for gang wars, explored a bit. It's nothing special but I enjoyed it.
It's a simple game that works well to wind down after a day of work.

So...yeah...that's where I'm at with Biomutant

Played some more and yeah...there's nothing to write home about, but weirdly enough: I'm having a great time.
It's a lovely game to wind down.

It's repetitive, the world is too barren, combat is pretty uneventful and yet...I keep playing :D 

Because I'm criminally insane I, of course, ignored the main quest for a while and spent my time exploring. Came across a lighthouse and subsequently a side-quest which made me collect the "ultimate melee weapon". It's ridiculously strong.
The thing is, I've come across more of those "ultimate melee weapons" and they all suck compared to this one :p 

Well, gonna play some more now.

Sign in to follow this