NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Age of Empires IV

I'm not sure how well this will go.  Age of Empire is a traditional RTS, Relic aren't really traditional RTS makers anymore.

10 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

I'm not sure how well this will go.  Age of Empire is a traditional RTS, Relic aren't really traditional RTS makers anymore.

Maybe AoE was a traditional RTS, depending on what they do. 

I have faith though, Relic is talented. I don't see why they couldn't go back to successfully making a traditional RTS.

I am so looking forward to this! Age of Empires III is one of my favourite/most played games! :D

Only problem is I don't actually own a PC... :(

On 8/26/2017 at 11:24 AM, V. Amoleo said:

Relic made CoH which is unequivocally the best RTS ever made so there's no doubt they'll be able to do something interesting with this. 

I'm confident that this will be great. Do we know how far off it is? 

I've been out of the RTS game for too long. 

6 hours ago, The Bard said:

Relic made CoH which is unequivocally the best RTS ever made so there's no doubt they'll be able to do something interesting with this. 

It's been a while since I played it, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Company of Heroes isn't a traditional RTS. The resource gathering is limited, there's no base building and it's very small scale in terms of its unit numbers.

The original Dawn of War was closer and then if you go even further back you have Homeworld.

Edit: I suppose I should mention what sort of games I'm referring to when I say traditional RTS. Games like Age of Empires, Command & Conquer and Settlers. Basically anything from the 90s! 😀

Edited by V. Amoleo

It's been a while since I played it, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Company of Heroes isn't a traditional RTS. The resource gathering is limited, there's no base building and it's very small scale in terms of its unit numbers.
The original Dawn of War was closer and then if you go even further back you have Homeworld.
Edit: I suppose I should mention what sort of games I'm referring to when I say traditional RTS. Games like Age of Empires, Command & Conquer and Settlers. Basically anything from the 90s!
CoH is fairly dependent on resource management and base structures but it's more about squad tactics for sure. I guess what I was getting at is that they are very smart designers that've made some really cool, varied RTS games so I'm sure they'll be fine working on something a little more traditional.

Typically though I think resource gathering in RTS' is best when the resources are between enemy territories and they become staging grounds for skirmishes. I really don't like having to optimise dirt farming near my home base, it takes away from the mental bandwidth I'd rather devote to dealing with the opponent.

Sign in to follow this