NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 (Switch)

Just an update: I finally managed to track down what might have been the last Medicinal Shrub in Chapter 3.  Phew!

Spoiler

DXXbOcrU8AENFC2.jpg:large

DXXbSaPUMAY18eE.jpg:large

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Grazza How come your pictures are all squashed when I look at them on the mobile version of the site?

Genuinely don't know.  They're the correct proportions when I see them.

For those who've played this game, do you know where I can find any more Zenithium, please?  I can only find two caves (one of which it was in), and I'm destroying the ice but can't find any.  It's driving me nuts.

DY_zOZ3WsAABeRI.jpg:large

DY_zU9gUQAAfejn.jpg:large

Do you have access to the red portal yet? They are usually found in caves in the mountains.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Do you have access to the red portal yet? They are usually found in caves in the mountains.

Yeah, those are the caves in the background. :( (Unless I've got it wrong.)  I got enough for the equipment, but not for the next thing.

3 hours ago, Grazza said:

Yeah, those are the caves in the background. :( (Unless I've got it wrong.)  I got enough for the equipment, but not for the next thing.

Ah right, it's been a while since I played it and it was in Japanese so my memory might be a bit fuzzy. Try around the swamp area in the North / North west a little. Also the desert area down South East area? I think there might be more caves in general around the map. But yeah, there's not a lot of it available.

• Thanks 1

It took me ages, but I finally completed Dragon Quest Builders!  I did get burnt out along the way, but ended up loving it again by the end.  Completed all the challenges within each chapter, and genuinely feel a bit lost as to what to play now!  Very much looking forward to the sequel.

DbASTKVVQAAQ_HJ.jpg:large

Dragon Quest Builders

content-2-35456-dragonquestbuilderssidebox.jpg

Thanks, as ever, to @S.C.G for the graphic and putting the review up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Farming is coming to Dragon Quest Builders 2!

Via Weekly Jump (translation courtesy of Gematsu):

Dragon-Quest-Builders-2_Jump_09-20-18.jp

Plow, Plant, Grow, and Harvest!

You are an apprentice Builder with the power to make things. Work with the inhabitants of Monzola Island to restore big plantation to the island’s rotted soil.

• Plow: When inhabitants of the island see a scarecrow set up in a place with healthy soil, they will start plowing the fields.
  • Plant: If you plow the soil on the field, you will gradually be able to plant crop seeds.
  • Grow: The inhabitants of the island will water the seeds planted in the field. After that, wait for the crops to bear fruit.
  • Harvest: Harvest the crops that have grown.
  • Danger: Monsters targeting crops will appear in the field. Drive them away.

Steadily Build with the Builder Bell and Builder Tools

By gathering the gratitude of the island’s inhabitants and ringing the Builder Bell, you will be able to create even more than you could before. You can also use convenient Builder Tools.

• Builder Bell: Ring the bell when you have gathered the gratitude of the island’s inhabitants.
  • Builder Tools: Items intended for building, like hammers. These can be equipped separately from weapons.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 1

Excellent!  Dragon Quest Builders is probably my favourite game on Switch, and the sequel is a definite purchase for me.

• Like 1

Heads up for those with access to the Japanese eShop, there’s a demo available for Dragon Quest Builders 2 now.

Have downloaded it, looking forward to checking it out.

Really hope they’ve made some improvements to certain aspects of the game since the first one.

Downloaded it last night, ended up playing it until 1am by accident. Turns out I wasn't too far from the "end".

As often with second games, you get a partner, Shido/Sidoh(?) who helps you fight and gather materials which is nice.

The hunger meter stays, I know some people weren't a fan.

Weapon durability wasn't present. Not sure if that's a demo early game  thing only or not.

I wasn't attacked by Ghosts constantly during the night. Again, not sure if it was just a demo/early game thing.

To strafe and hold materials in the neutral position you have to hold L and LR which was a bit awkward on the Joycons. Not sure if there's an easier way to do it.

The feature to share screenshots is in the demo. The full game you can share designs/maps or something which is cross platform between the Switch and PS4 version. Dunno if you can in the demo, didn't really check.

The overall presentation seems better than the first game.

Might explore the island some more, the demo for the first game had some optional bosses.

• Thanks 2

I went back and read my review for the first game, and forgot how long it was!

I'm really looking forward to the sequel though, as I really did love the first.  I'm glad to hear weapon durability has been dropped, although I remember I didn't particularly mind it in the first game because it was generally easy to make as many as you wanted (and the very best sword in the game was indestructible).  I'd definitely rather have dropped the hunger meter, but there you go.

y4msGD8pGwzTsZUgW5-EAE8Cu1ZRgVgWbT24Ivdd

Was expecting it later due to the holidays but they arrived yesterday, Christmas is saved!

You can transfer from the demo, transfers your character and skips the prologue/tutorial so you start washed up on the shore. I got some items but I didn't play the demo much so not really sure what transfers.

• Like 4

y4m2zLt1ikSHlB3n2dT8TH8z_ZCD8As1L_eYMXQA

Game guide and Hammerhood plush arrived as well.

The Switch version has a really long load time after booting up, afterwards isn't so bad. Switching island has a long load time as well but that doesn't happen as often (so far).

The game is quite a bit harder as well, there's an enemy that attacks that can easily kill you in 1 to 2 hits.

• Like 3

Can't help but feel like this got quickly snuffed out in that Direct by the DQXIS news...but it's coming July 12th!

13 hours ago, Julius said:

Can't help but feel like this got quickly snuffed out in that Direct by the DQXIS news...but it's coming July 12th!

Indeed.

I also think releasing after Super Mario Maker 2 isn't going to do it any favours either. :hmm: Well, I'm certainly less interested in it now.

I didn't even know this was in the Direct yesterday, but I was really pleased to see it on the eShop today.  I'll get Mario Maker 2 as well, but am definitely more excited for this.

On 14/02/2019 at 1:32 PM, RedShell said:

Indeed.

I also think releasing after Super Mario Maker 2 isn't going to do it any favours either. :hmm: Well, I'm certainly less interested in it now.

It comes out between Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem. Similar thing happened with DQXI coming out the same time as 2/3 other big releases.

Boxart:

PS_NSwitch_DragonQuestBuilders2_PEGI.jpg

Digital version is available to preload and the season pass is up.

The trailer for the game was so jolly. :D I'm really looking forward to picking this one up. The first game was fantastic and the sequel looks to build ( :p ) on the foundation that was laid with that one.

I played the demo of the first one and it was ok, this looks much better though. Square had a great E3, so much GAMEPLAY :laughing:

Loved the announcer in that S-E conference trailer! He went ALL in :laughing:

• Like 1

The original is still my favourite retail Switch game, I think - then again I do love Dragon Quest!

It's nice to see some of the classic armour return, such as the Dragon Armour and the one that looks like a tortoise shell.

Sign in to follow this