NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Domo Kun

Universities Universities...

Righto, so here's the situation:

I've applied to University and been given offers from University of Sussex (very near Brighton) and Goldsmiths College. The course I'm doing is Anthropology. All the league tables I've seen rate the Anthropology departments of each University almost equally. So, I'm having the dilemma of where to go!

Did anyone go to either of these Universities? Does anyone know anything good/bad about being a student in London/Brighton?

All the help I can get would be useful, because I really don't know which one to pick. Thanks!

Didn't you visit these two places on open days?

I've visited Sussex university. It's a very nice area, heart of Brighton which is good I suppose. Good nightlife and amenities, the University itself is good, but I thought it was a bit tatty in areas, I only saw the Computing departments.

Goldsmith's is also well respected, but I don't think it has a very good Student Union or other facilities. Since you live in London anyway, maybe it would be good to go to Sussex. You'll also save a bit of money in accomodation costs, even though Brighton is quite expensive, Goldsmith's is very expensive.

I would go for Sussex, but I am not much of a London bod myself. I prefer things on a slightly smaller scale.

Brighton's not bad at all. If you're from Greater London the choice should be simple, Brighton. If you're rich go to a London uni.

I would go for the London one, I'm more of a city boy :heh:

Anyway, I've also applied for uni courses and I have been accepted into Glasgow University YASS!! lol Politics and Philosophy are in there bag, LAW however haven't replied yet.

I also applied for strathclyde uni as back up but I know where I am going, Glasgow Uni all the way lol

I'm pretty sure someone from here goes to Brighton, for some reason I think it's Fierce Link, but I'm not entirely sure....

it is fierce link.

I live in Brighton, have a few mates who go to Sussex. it's a well-respected uni for a lot of things and that's counting for more and more these days. I'd gladly say "come to sussex!' because Brighton's a nice enough place to live for students. But also I'm not a huge fan of London in general.

I've applied for Sheffield Hallam and Roehampton (yes, i know, London...) among others, and really want to go to sheffield to do English Studies. 280 points, B in english literature.. Should be in the bag really.. Points for sure but grade? Who knows what might happen.

I applied for Derby (and others), got in and all that then decided to defer for a year - with intentions of doing an art foundation but now I've dropped out and taking a year out.

Anywho I'm starting to feel like I don't want to move that far away (even if its only like 2 hours from here) and perhaps want to stay closer and go to Brum. Still move out but Brum is close, but then I'd have to go to UCE in Birmingham which is I think less reputable. Dunno, just checked the Guardian rankings for Media and neither Derby or UCE are on there. Maybe Im just unsure about moving away too much because I don't have "the fear"

Ironically Warwick rank top and they offered me an unconditional offer and I turned them down. Makes me kinda happy.

warwick is a really good uni ::shrug:

I would go to sussex over roehampton, i live in the area when i'm at home and its pretty nice area. Brighton has lots to do. and is quite compact.

No idea about roehampton, i don't think its that highly rated. if your gonna go to a london uni then you are best off at IC, LSE, KCL, UCL, etc

Yeah but the course sucks, majorly. Its so prescribed and I just don't want that.

Goldsmiths isn't in a massively expensive area. I was a London student (at IC) for a while, I decided that London is an awesome place to live, but not the best place to be a student. It does get expensive if you're out all the time. If you're (or your family is) loaded, then London could be pretty good.

Yeah but the course sucks, majorly. Its so prescribed and I just don't want that.

Yeah, definately make sure you research the courses, what modules there are, how you are assessed, whether you get any choices etc. It's so much easier when you're on a course you enjoy!

and have a good look at their student union website pages.

might give you a feel for how big a student area each is.

Goldsmiths isn't in a massively expensive area. I was a London student (at IC) for a while, I decided that London is an awesome place to live, but not the best place to be a student. It does get expensive if you're out all the time. If you're (or your family is) loaded, then London could be pretty good.

yeah, thats the problem with london uni. you are stuck to the student bars as unlike student cities most of the normal bars dont have student discounts.

go to a smaller city and suddenly all the bars and clubs want students.

i agree my sister goes there and i visit once in a while, might consider it for a literature course in 4-5 years time, but thats way off :hmm:

Just wondering here, is there anyone here who is currently studying or is planning on studying either Law, Politics or Philosophy? If so where are you going (what uni) and what are your future job plans?

Hell yeah!

Im there now!

Its awesome.

Erm...

yeah.

it is fierce link.

I live in Brighton, have a few mates who go to Sussex. it's a well-respected uni for a lot of things and that's counting for more and more these days. I'd gladly say "come to sussex!' because Brighton's a nice enough place to live for students. But also I'm not a huge fan of London in general.

I've applied for Sheffield Hallam and Roehampton (yes, i know, London...) among others, and really want to go to sheffield to do English Studies. 280 points, B in english literature.. Should be in the bag really.. Points for sure but grade? Who knows what might happen.

If I can do it you can do it :) Cya at SHU in September! (Bitch.)

bob: Just how hard is it lugging your shopping back from the nearby Tesco?

This is a crucial factor in my decision-making process.

It's not that hard from anywhere... plus you can always take your shopping on a bus.

Sheesh some people really have a lot to learn about being a student. Imo you don't need to worry about what the Unions are like cos, let's be fair, if you only go to the Union, you will only hang out with other students and you never go ANYwhere else. It's a major disease of students!

You should also be aware that university is is a giant black hole, sucking up all your money 24 hours a day. :cry:

Sign in to follow this