NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2017-18

I have a feeling that it may turn out like the Suarez situation. We'll keep him for another year and (hopefully) he'll play well to keep Barca interested and then go next summer. Hopefully this will also give us the proper time needed to find an actual replacement.

To be honest though, as much as I love Coutinho I wouldn't be devastated if he went. I feel like Firmino has the potential to be just as big of a star in the future.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I have a feeling that it may turn out like the Suarez situation. We'll keep him for another year and (hopefully) he'll play well to keep Barca interested and then go next summer. Hopefully this will also give us the proper time needed to find an actual replacement.

To be honest though, as much as I love Coutinho I wouldn't be devastated if he went. I feel like Firmino has the potential to be just as big of a star in the future.

I've never really rated Firmino. He's very hit or miss. He wastes more chances than he puts away.

Coutinho is a weird one. He's either amazing and is the star of the game or he just doesn't show up and hardly gets mentioned. There's no real middle ground with him. Still, I'd rather keep him than than lose him. 

I just we would invest in a good full on striker. I hate having to rely on midfielders/wingers but that just seems the way Klopp likes to play.

Well pleased the Premier is back and kicks off tonight! It's been too long of a wait.

Absolutely cracking first game of the season. From a neutral standpoint the game was outstanding. I felt Arsenal would nick it as they kept pushing Leicester further and further back.

Insane game. Every time I seemed to check the score on BBC Sport, it was another goal. Hope we get a high-scoring season. Fuck defending! :D

Standard Pool so far. We can't defend set pieces to save our life. Such an easy goal for Watford.

EDIT: Lovely worked goal by us!

EDIT 2: And it didn't matter because our defense is a freaking shambles.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

16 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Insane game. Every time I seemed to check the score on BBC Sport, it was another goal. Hope we get a high-scoring season. Fuck defending! :D

Seems like you might be getting your wish, two goal fests so far

Wijnaldum is absolute garbage. Guy had two clear chances and threw them away. Salah bottled just about every chance he had to kill the game off. Defense is an absolute joke.

Klopp better sort this tripe out. It's starting to annoy me just watching him sitting laughing as we conced goals. SORT OUT HOW WE DEFEND SET PIECES!!!

45 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Wijnaldum is absolute garbage. Guy had two clear chances and threw them away. Salah bottled just about every chance he had to kill the game off. Defense is an absolute joke.

Klopp better sort this tripe out. It's starting to annoy me just watching him sitting laughing as we conced goals. SORT OUT HOW WE DEFEND SET PIECES!!!

Steady on its the first game of the season. You'll do yourself mischief getting angry like that.

24 minutes ago, Ramar said:

Steady on its the first game of the season. You'll do yourself mischief getting angry like that.

We had the exact same issues last season yet nothing has been done to sort it out.

What the hell is going with Chelsea?

What an amazing start to the league :D Missed it!! Roll on tomorrow!!!

PS COME ON BRIGHTON!!! 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

We had the exact same issues last season yet nothing has been done to sort it out.

What the hell is going with Chelsea?

Just last season? One league cup in 10 years. Liverpool being Liverpool.

2 minutes ago, Ramar said:

Just last season? One league cup in 10 years. Liverpool being Liverpool.

Then you can see why it's infuriating to see the same defensive mistakes happening year after year.

My optimism for Liverpool's season has been decimated in the last few weeks due to inactivity in the transfer market and, of course, Coutinho's transfer request :hmm:

I haven't seen today's game but the result was no surprise. I'm fed up of hearing about how much of a shambles we are in defence. Surely it should have been addressed long ago?!

• Like 1

Shef Utd were robbed at the end. I don't think there was anything wrong with that goal. Blade must be fuming.

First game I've got to watch of the PL this weekend and United look pretty good so far. Matic seems like he's been playing in the team for ages already and Pogba has shown some great touches that he wasn't showing so much last season. Lukaku has obviously been pretty quiet so get but West Ham are pretty tight to him and pretty compact so United aren't able to put the ball on to his head as much. 

Not seen the highlights from Villa's game yesterday but 3-0 loss at Cardiff is pathetic. I don't think Bruce will get the sack for a few weeks yet but all my optimism for the season has vanished after 2 matches.

Excellent performance from United yesterday. Matic looked superb yesterday in midfield. Hardly lost the ball, went on a few mazy run here and there and just blocked everything from getting to our back four. Phil Jones had nothing to do all game as Bailly, Matic and Pogba just shielded everything. Rashford looked fantastic on the wing, but he should have scored at least two yesterday. His finishing has to improve. 

No complaints at all. Hard to say who my Man of the Match was. If he could finish, then it would have been Rashford. But, I think Matic probably just about edges it for me. Insane how Chelsea have let him go. :D

3 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Excellent performance from United yesterday. Matic looked superb yesterday in midfield. Hardly lost the ball, went on a few mazy run here and there and just blocked everything from getting to our back four. Phil Jones had nothing to do all game as Bailly, Matic and Pogba just shielded everything. Rashford looked fantastic on the wing, but he should have scored at least two yesterday. His finishing has to improve. 

No complaints at all. Hard to say who my Man of the Match was. If he could finish, then it would have been Rashford. But, I think Matic probably just about edges it for me. Insane how Chelsea have let him go. :D

I can't believe Chelsea let Matic go. Madness.

I wouldn't be surprised if Man Utd won the title this year and part of it will be down to Matic. It's RVP all over again.

34 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I can't believe Chelsea let Matic go. Madness.

I wouldn't be surprised if Man Utd won the title this year and part of it will be down to Matic. It's RVP all over again.

This is definitely the best United squad that we've had post-Ferguson. The spine of the team looks strong. I'm really keen to see a Matic-Herrera-Pogba midfield working. Mkhi was fantastic yesterday, too! 

I do think that the defence needs strengthening, though. Bailly and De Gea will be playing every game, as will Valencia at right back. But, left back and someone to partner Bailly are the two areas for strengthening. Right back too if you want a proper one there.

Hope that the new guy Victor Lindelof settles in quickly. He looked terrible in preseason. 

Premier League clubs will discuss the proposed introduction of a new summer transfer window that closes before the opening game of next season.

It is understood talks will take place between every club next month about whether to change the deadline of the current window, which closes nearly three weeks after the first game of the season.

Sky Sports News has been told by sources that the "majority" of top-flight clubs currently favour an earlier closure, and the issue could be voted on during their next shareholders' meeting in September.

At least 14 of the Premier League's 20 clubs must agree for a new rule to be introduced.

One consideration is whether Premier League clubs will be weaker if the summer window closes in the middle of August.

Clubs from other European leagues, including Spain and Italy, would still be allowed to sign players from England in line with their own domestic deadlines.

It has raised concerns that Premier League sides would be unable to sign reinforcements, or replacements, which could lead to a competitive disadvantage.

But some clubs are understood to believe it would be better for the league's integrity if none of its teams could add to their squads from the first match of the new season until the January transfer window.

Paul Clement, Swansea City manager, said after Saturday's draw at Southampton: "Our club would support that decision. The majority of clubs are in favour but maybe all have to be for it to go through. It could happen next year."

Transfer windows in January would be unaffected as current proposals only relate to the summer months.

I'm all for this change. There's been too many times where the season has started and then big players have left clubs on deadline day. This messes up the lineup for the team they were playing for and leaves them screwed until a replacement can be found in the January window. If all the business is sorted before the start of the season then they can avoid this from happening and get a solid lineup all ready for the new season.

Of course, this won't stop European clubs from coming in and poaching our players, so I would like see someway of putting a stop to that, if this change is to be made. Ideally, all the markets should be closed at the same time.

The downside to this is that clubs may get injuries in the first few weeks of the season and will be unable to do any business and get replacements in.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

So, Barcelona could sign Coutinho, Real Madrid could sign De Gea and somebody like Bayern Munich could sign Alexis Sanchez, yet these clubs wouldn't be able to sign replacement players. Sounds wonderful. 

I'm not for it. The only real, proper solution is that we have one, single European transfer window that opens at the same time and closes at the same time. I can understand the sense in that the window should really close before the first game is played, but this is definitely going to put the Premier League at a disadvantage to other European leagues. 

12 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

So, Barcelona could sign Coutinho, Real Madrid could sign De Gea and somebody like Bayern Munich could sign Alexis Sanchez, yet these clubs wouldn't be able to sign replacement players. Sounds wonderful. 

I'm not for it. The only real, proper solution is that we have one, single European transfer window that opens at the same time and closes at the same time. I can understand the sense in that the window should really close before the first game is played, but this is definitely going to put the Premier League at a disadvantage to other European leagues. 

Yeah, that's the sticking point. However, if they can make it a level playing field i'm very much in favour of ending the transfer window before the season starts.

Sign in to follow this