NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2017-18

Away goal for Roma. If this were to finish 5-2 or 5-3, then it would still be an interesting tie...maybe.

1 minute ago, Emerald Emblem said:

There's the away goal. Doesn't matter right now surely.

It's Liverpool. Of course it matters! :D  

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

It's Liverpool. Of course it matters! :D  

I'm still expecting this match to finish 5-5

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I'm still expecting this match to finish 5-5

Sad thing is it could happen. :D 

21 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Messi never got far with Argentina in major international tournaments yet he still won it many times.

Sorry, I should have been clear: I meant that another player of great calibre (Neymar, Hazard, De Bruyne, etc.) could have a stunning World Cup, whereas Salah might not, which could mean that they might scrape into the top three ahead of him. 

And the Ballon D’Or is based on calendar year performance, so I imagine if he didn’t continue his great form into the start of next season, he might not make it.

Not to be a downer, because I think he deserves to be in that shortlist based on what he’s done so far. However, a great World Cup for someone else, or an injury, could prevent him from being up on that stage. Just playing devil’s advocate :p 

4 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Away goal for Roma. If this were to finish 5-2 or 5-3, then it would still be an interesting tie...maybe.

...I don't actually think a 5-3 is beyond the realms of possibility.

Liverpool are perhaps the only team who could genuinely concede 5 goals in the last 10 minutes of a match, and it wouldn't be that surprising.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Liverpool looked completely all over the place for a few minutes there, Roma unlucky not to have got at least another. As exciting as Liverpool are going forward they really are ropey at the back, fully expect them to score in Rome next week though to put the tie to bed.

The Championship just got more interesting with Derby beating Cardiff. It means that even though it's still in Cardiff's hands both Fulham and Villa can still finish 2nd. If Cardiff fail to win on Saturday and Villa can beat Derby then it will go to the final day to decide whether we go up automatically or enter the play offs. I'm pretty sure it won't happen and we'll have to go through the play offs regardless but the fact that it could still go down to the final day is really exciting considering how far off it seemed just a few weeks ago.

So...if Roma win 3-0 at the Stadio Olimpico, then they go through. Liverpool will definitely score, though. So, Roma will have to score 4 or 5 of their own. Just can't see it happening personally, due to how poor they were defensively tonight. Those 4th and 5th goals have just placed it a bit too far, imo. This will finish something like 7-4 on aggregate to Liverpool.

18 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

So...if Roma win 3-0 at the Stadio Olimpico, then they go through. Liverpool will definitely score, though. So, Roma will have to score 4 or 5 of their own. Just can't see it happening personally, due to how poor they were defensively tonight. Those 4th and 5th goals have just placed it a bit too far, imo. This will finish something like 7-4 on aggregate to Liverpool.

I think Liverpool will get through in the end, but I do think that Roma could give them a good game regardless of that. If we’ve seen anything so far this competition it’s that Roma are willing to fight tooth and nail until the very end, and that mentality is what’s got them into the most unlikely of positions already.

It’ll be very interesting to see how the other tie goes tomorrow night. I think a few too many journalists (and fans) have already written Bayern off, but Heynckes has this team as efficient as ever, and the guy’s a tactical genius; if there’s any team and manager combination left in the competition capable of keeping Ronaldo quiet, it would be Bayern and Heynckes.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I've never felt so deflated after a 5-2 win :blank:

We were in the final, but now.. who knows?

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

I've never felt so deflated after a 5-2 win :blank:

We were in the final, but now.. who knows?

A goal in Rome seals the deal in my opinion, I doubt Liverpool will fail to score so its almost a formality.

There's no way that this Roma side will stop Liverpool scoring, unless they miraculously learn how to man-mark Salah or Mane out of the game in Rome. They just gave Liverpool so much space and Liverpool exploited it. It should have been more than 5 tonight, quite easily. If Man City couldn't overturn such a deficit against this side, I really can't see Roma doing it.

There's no way that this Roma side will stop Liverpool scoring, unless they miraculously learn how to man-mark Salah or Mane out of the game in Rome. They just gave Liverpool so much space and Liverpool exploited it. It should have been more than 5 tonight, quite easily. If Man City couldn't overturn such a deficit against this side, I really can't see Roma doing it.

Replace Liverpool with Barcelona and the EXACT same thing was being said a month ago.

Man City couldn’t do it because they only know how to play one way which left them open to counter attacks, Roma at home are a different kettle of fish.

5 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Replace Liverpool with Barcelona and the EXACT same thing was being said a month ago.

Man City couldn’t do it because they only know how to play one way which left them open to counter attacks, Roma at home are a different kettle of fish.

Ok, there are some parallels there with the "needing three goals to go through" and "over-turning a big deficit", but that's as far as the parallels go, imo. This Liverpool side are scoring goals for fun and managed to not only close the game out against City, but they managed to actually win the game. Conceding two late away goals is sloppy, but all it takes is one moment to switch off and Liverpool will score. Liverpool did what Barcelona couldn't do, which was to score away from home and close the game.

Man City threw absolutely everything at Liverpool in the first half, yet they still stood strong. I would expect Roma to defend better in the second leg. If Roma somehow go through after this, then I will more than happily eat my words...but I just can't see it personally. Liverpool ripped them apart and were 5-0 up in the tie. It would take a monumental collapse to not go through now, even if Roma do give them a run for their money.

16 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Yeah, I think they should be able to give them a good match. Both squads are relatively inexperienced on the European stage at this point in time, so I’d imagine that Anfield terrified the Roma team today, and I think the exact same thing could happen to some of the Liverpool team next week in the Olimpico. Especially at the back. 

I think that Roma have already shown with their performances in the Champions League this season that they shouldn’t be written off at any point, especially after what happened with Barça. And I think you’re right: Roma can play very emotionally, in that they can pull a result with their backs against the wall. Man City are an excellent team and play some beautiful football, but, beyond Jesus’ opening goal in the second leg, seem scared to play anything but beautiful football (you know, route 1, long ball stuff). 

I don’t expect Roma to turn it around, but I do expect a good match next week, with a much more balanced game. 

What a game last night. Watched it with a couple of mates and we went absolutely nuts :D  Roma won't turn it around, but it will be a good match.

Tonight...the time has come for us. Will we be able to stop Madrid? To be honest...I don't think we will. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an attacking line-up from Bayern before. 

Question: why are on-loan players permitted to play against their parent clubs in the Champions League? How can that be allowed? There are a clear clash of interests there...

Gutted for the Ox. He's became a completely different player under Klopp and I had high hopes for him in the World Cup. Sky Sports are saying Wilshire or Shelvey could possibly be called up. Hardly what I call good replacements. :( 

4 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Question: why are on-loan players permitted to play against their parent clubs in the Champions League? How can that be allowed? There are a clear clash of interests there...

It was the same case when we were up against Courtois in the semi-finals a few seasons ago. I think it was supposed to be the case that the club which has the player on loan paid the parent club a fixed sum, but I think that was abolished as a result of it being argued for a semi-final. 

It’s allowed because a player can only be registered to appear for one club in Europe currently, so they’d just be register to the club that they’re on loan at. I don’t think it’s too much of a conflict of interests (though I do think it walks a fine line), considering that the player out on loan will  presumably want to prove themselves to their parent club (hence why they’re on loan) - even if it means proving themselves against them. 

Plus, I’m not a fan of how James was handled by Real, so I’m glad that he might get a chance to prove himself to them over the course of this tie :p 

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Gutted for the Ox. He's became a completely different player under Klopp and I had high hopes for him in the World Cup. Sky Sports are saying Wilshire or Shelvey could possibly be called up. Hardly what I call good replacements. :( 

I’ve never really been a fan of Wilshire, to be honest. His attitude is often questionable, and he’s very inconsistent, and I’ve always been surprised when he’s been called up based on performances in previous campaigns. Shelvey has radically improved under Benítez, so I’d be glad to see him going to Russia. 

I do agree that they’re not good replacements for Chamberlain, though. Neither of them strike me as being particularly bullish.

Also, I think Navas’ performances in this game and against Juve have dramatically increased the odds of Real making a massive bid for De Gea this summer. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Sign in to follow this