NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2017-18

34 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I didn't see the match but apparently you guys played really well and had a go but were just outplayed by a better team. 

I don't like reducing a team to one player but Messi was, again, on another level. Barcelona as a whole was better than Chelsea, but Messi...man...he's a beast. In my opinion he made the deciding difference, yesterday. Without him it might've been 0-0 in the end.

Edited by drahkon

40 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I didn't see the match but apparently you guys played really well and had a go but were just outplayed by a better team. 

We generally had the better of the chances, just couldn’t put it away.

If Courtois had not offered as large a gap between his legs they’d have only scored the one.

Plus, we should’ve had a penalty.

Son of a bitch! We drew City in the Champions League. I really didn't want to play them again. :( 

Champions League Quarterfinals:

FC Barcelona - AS Roma

FC Sevilla - Bayern Munich

Juventus Turin - Real Madrid

FC Liverpool - Manchester City

"Easy" opponents for Barca and us (Bayern), but both should be wary, of course. Juve against Madrid and Liverpool against City should be great matches. :)

Annoying that one of the English teams has to get eliminated at this stage. Would have been nice to see how both of them could go.

16 minutes ago, bob said:

Annoying that one of the English teams has to get eliminated at this stage. Would have been nice to see how both of them could go.

On the flip side, at least we know one of them (Man City) will be going through. Both teams could have been knocked out if they weren't playing each other.

On the flip side, at least we know one of them (Man City) will be going through. Both teams could have been knocked out if they weren't playing each other.
Where's that famous Liverpool fan confidence? I mean, you're one of the four teams that have beaten them this season.

Just now, bob said:
12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Where's that famous Liverpool fan confidence? I mean, you're one of the four teams that have beaten them this season.

It was a fluke! :D 

Think Liverpool could do them over two legs. 2-0 victory at Anfield and then play for a draw at the Etihad. Two legged ties are different mentally to a straight one-off match. If Liverpool concede more than one goal at Anfield, then I think the tie will be over and City will go through.

9 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Think Liverpool could do them over two legs. 2-0 victory at Anfield and then play for a draw at the Etihad. Two legged ties are different mentally to a straight one-off match. If Liverpool concede more than one goal at Anfield, then I think the tie will be over and City will go through.

We will never keep a clean sheet against City. Also, we don't play for draws. I don't think Klopp knows how to set up a more defensive formation. :D 

Just sat and watched MOTD to see the Liverpool goals. Dat cheeky Bobby goal. :p I wonder if Salah can break the Premiership record of most goals scored in a season? Crazy to think how many goals he's scored when he's not a striker.

36 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

We will never keep a clean sheet against City. Also, we don't play for draws. I don't think Klopp knows how to set up a more defensive formation. :D 

Just sat and watched MOTD to see the Liverpool goals. Dat cheeky Bobby goal. :p I wonder if Salah can break the Premiership record of most goals scored in a season? Crazy to think how many goals he's scored when he's not a striker.

I think it’s definitely going to be great for the neutrals. We saw it earlier this season and quite a lot in their prior meetings, but Klopp is about as close to Pep’s kryptonite as I can think of at this stage of his career.

As for Salah breaking the record, I honestly can’t think of a reason against him breaking it. He’s been in peak form almost all season, and only needs a hat trick of goals to equal the record — with seven games to potentially score them in (probably less considering the likelihood of being rested for UCL matches), I’d honestly put my money on him doing it. It’s insane the near-instant chemistry that he’s had with Firmino and Mané since arriving last summer, which just makes the potential record-breaking that much more eye-opening.

If Kane weren’t injured, I’d actually go so far as suggesting that both of them could break it. 

On a different note but sort of on the same topic, as a Chelsea fan, watching us play in the Prem has only been getting more and more frustrating recently. Conte is very clearly an excellent tactician and a great man-to-man manager, but he just isn’t backed up in the transfer market to allow his desired formation to flourish. 

Matters are only made worse when I see players like Lukaku, De Bruyne, Salah and Matic enjoying themselves and performing well on a consistent basis at rival clubs. It’s just crushing.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I'm anticipating that if Man City get past Liverpool in the Champions League then they will have to play Barcelona. Unless Roma shock Barcelona but somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

Of course the tie just so happens to take place with the Manchester and Merseyside derbies in between.

Thomas Tuchel (former Borussia Dortmund manager) has reportedly held meetings with Arsenal to replace Arsene Wenger at the end of this season. 

He’d be an excellent match for the style of play I’ve heard that many fans want Arsenal to pursue (more aggressive, counter-attacking football), and would likely be well suited to the Prem considering he coached in the Bundesliga. 

Makes me a little nervous for us next season.

13 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

Thomas Tuchel (former Borussia Dortmund manager) has reportedly held meetings with Arsenal to replace Arsene Wenger at the end of this season. 

He’d be an excellent match for the style of play I’ve heard that many fans want Arsenal to pursue (more aggressive, counter-attacking football), and would likely be well suited to the Prem considering he coached in the Bundesliga. 

Makes me a little nervous for us next season.

Seems like the right kind of appointment for Arsenal, but is Arsene really going to go this season? I think he'll go when his contract runs out next season.

54 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Those reports of talks were also fake news.

Huh, that’s odd. Sky Sports Germany reported just this morning that Thomas Tuchel had, at the very least, spoken to Arsenal

Seems like there’s a lot of hearsay going around @Emerald Emblem, but I do think it’s worth mentioning that Kicker were the ones to originally report that he was heading to Arsenal, and it’s very rare for them to be so off-piste with a rumour as substantial as this.

He did great with Dortmund, so I’d love to see him come to England and manage at some point because I just want to see what he could do with the right support (though, notably, he isn’t the great man-to-man manager; perhaps Jardim would be better suited for Arsenal), but it was included in the original report that Bayern were also in for him, with Uli Hoeneß even supposedly approaching him over the role before finding out that he already had a deal in place. I definitely think Bayern would be much more desperate to have him than Arsenal simply because Heynckes was only ever going to e back until the end of the season, whereas Arsenal could hold out a little longer with Wenger if they really had to, but I never saw Tuchel as the type of manager to go behind his former club. 

Honestly, I still want Joachim Löw to make return to club football and manage Bayern (really unlike given his age, I know). He’s already cemented himself as one of the greatest international managers  ever, but his club record doesn’t really paint him in the best light, so I’d like to see him make the change after the World Cup (unless he retires, which would be a shame). And Bayern will definitely have an eye on Julian Nagelsmann in the coming years/decades (it’s ridiculous that this guy’s only 30) after his relative success with Hoffenheim.

Anyone watching the England/Italy game? England have looked a bit unsure at the back in the first 20 minutes. Can definitely see Italy scoring.

32 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Palace continue to be our bogey team.

I already put today down as a loss :sad:

Just now, nekunando said:

I already put today down as a loss :sad:

Alexander Arnold is having a mare on the right, just like he was during the Man U game. His inexperience is really starting to show.

We've had the majority of possession but it's absolutely meaningless if we can't score. The front 3 don't look like they are clicking.

Ive said it many times before but I hate the international break. We always play worse on our first game back and it takes a couple of matches to get everything back together.

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Alexander Arnold is having a mare on the right, just like he was during the Man U game. His inexperience is really starting to show.

We've had the majority of possession but it's absolutely meaningless if we can't score. The front 3 don't look like they are clicking.

Ive said it many times before but I hate the international break. We always play worse on our first game back and it takes a couple of matches to get everything back together.

MANE

How in the hell did Mane stay on the pitch? That's one of the stupidest/craziest ref decisions I've seen in a long time.

Salah saving our bacon! We were very fortunate to get all 3 points. The ref had an absolute nightmare.

Sign in to follow this