NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2017-18

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Chelsea were garbage today. I'm honestly sick of watching teams just sit back against City and try to absorb the pressure for 90 mins. Have a go at them, put them under pressure, just do something! 

It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy there. Teams are scared that City will rip through them...so they set up to defend and just allow City to have the ball and rip through them. 

Also, it's much harder to score goals when your strikers are on the bench. Not sure what Conte was trying to do today. Hazard was set up to fail.

• Like 1

I was half-expecting Arsenal to go there today and get a big result.

You're telling me! I had a tenner on Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal wins this weekend. Should have known to bet on Arsenal by now...

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Also, it's much harder to score goals when your strikers are on the bench. Not sure what Conte was trying to do today. Hazard was set up to fail.

Dude had zero support. He may as well not have been on the pitch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bob said:

You're telling me! I had a tenner on Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal wins this weekend. Should have known to bet on Arsenal by now...

Should have known better. :D

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Dude had zero support. He may as well not have been on the pitch.

The added insult was getting subbed off at the end. Also, abysmal substitutions by Chelsea. Far, far too late in the game to do anything. 

• Like 1

This is so bad! I’d rather we lost by more but at least tried to fucking play football!!!

32 minutes ago, Kav said:

This is so bad! I’d rather we lost by more but at least tried to fucking play football!!!

Gary Neville was going off it ( much like he done when watching Arsenal ) and quite rightly so. These idiots are getting paid thousands of pounds yet can't even be bothered to chase after the ball. To think, working class people pay top dollar for their season tickets and end up going to games and watching this. It's a disgrace.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Gary Neville was going off it ( much like he done when watching Arsenal ) and quite rightly so. These idiots are getting paid thousands of pounds yet can't even be bothered to chase after the ball. To think, working class people pay top dollar for their season tickets and end up going to games and watching this. It's a disgrace.

Mate, it’s Conte. Really, he doesn’t want them to chase, to press. He hopes to wait on a mistake to counter, if even that, he was absolutely playing for a draw!

6 hours ago, Kav said:

That's the only thing I've seen of the match and from that I don't really think I need to see any more. That's embarrassing!

The best part of that result is that it gives Liverpool a 7 point cushion for the top 4 with 9 games to go :hehe:

Fucking yessssssssss. Beautiful fucking goal!

Terrible, god-awful first half. Substitutions changed the game. It just gave us a bit of pace and an extra dimension that we were lacking in the first half. The team didn't start playing until they were 2-0 down. We need to start more games like we finished this one. It's almost like the team need to score a goal before they settle down and feel more confident.

Has Matic ever scored a goal from inside the penalty area? They're always screamers. Just knew they would go on and win it after de Gea made that last ditch save rom Benteke.

Just now, killthenet said:

Has Matic ever scored a goal from inside the penalty area? They're always screamers. Just knew they would go on and win it after de Gea made that last ditch save rom Benteke.

De Gea is just unreal. Truth be told, he didn't look that fantastic today, but that save was exceptional. Love the man. 

I was gutted, though not at all surprised, to see United turn the game around against Crystal Palace.

I really, REALLY hope we smash them on Saturday!

4 hours ago, killthenet said:

Has Matic ever scored a goal from inside the penalty area? They're always screamers. 

Ironically, the only goal that I remember seeing Matic score that was inside the penalty area was a screamer :D 

5 hours ago, nekunando said:

I really, REALLY hope we smash them on Saturday!

Win, lose or draw, I just hope it's a good match. I'm sick of the big fixtures this season turn into a game of who can sit back and absorb the most pressure. I want a feisty match, the likes of which we used to see when Fergie was in charge. Hopefully Jose won't park the bus and actually show up and give us a game.

15 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Win, lose or draw, I just hope it's a good match. I'm sick of the big fixtures this season turn into a game of who can sit back and absorb the most pressure. I want a feisty match, the likes of which we used to see when Fergie was in charge. Hopefully Jose won't park the bus and actually show up and give us a game.

Yesss, United should play to Liverpool's strengths by playing open, attacking football and allow Liverpool to rip us apart by countering us. 

I'm not a neutral. I want to see a United victory. If we win by playing well, then great. But, Jose will never live it down with the fans if United lose by 3 or 4 goals, which could happen if we play too open and naively. You have to play the bigger games with your head. It'll finish a 1-1 draw, imo. 

The alternative is if Klopp goes in playing very open football, which he may well do, which then enables us to counter. We've got the players to be able to do that. I don't think Liverpool fans want to be on the receiving end of a 3 or 4-0 defeat either.

I think it says a whole lot about where PSG is at when having their star player missing makes the rest of the team look limp and lifeless, and even against an opposition which should in fact spur them on to prove themselves.

The problem I think that they’re having is that they don’t have a manager who will light a fire under them to get the results, which is exactly what’s needed in the UCL when they can put out any old team and coast in the league. Emery’s reign as PSG manager is, I imagine, all but at an end, so I think that they now need to find someone with a serious heat and confidence to them — someone like Jurgen Klopp or Diego Simeone — to push this team when the going gets tough. 

Great result for Madrid, who didn’t look like they had to get out of second gear to get the result that they would have wanted. 

8 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Yesss, United should play to Liverpool's strengths by playing open, attacking football and allow Liverpool to rip us apart by countering us. 

I'm not a neutral. I want to see a United victory. If we win by playing well, then great. But, Jose will never live it down with the fans if United lose by 3 or 4 goals, which could happen if we play too open and naively. You have to play the bigger games with your head. It'll finish a 1-1 draw, imo. 

The alternative is if Klopp goes in playing very open football, which he may well do, which then enables us to counter. We've got the players to be able to do that. I don't think Liverpool fans want to be on the receiving end of a 3 or 4-0 defeat either.

I'm not neutral either. I'd obviously love to see Liverpool win but I'd rather lose heavily and have a go at a team, than sit back and lose 1-0. It's still 3 points lost either way.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm not neutral either. I'd obviously love to see Liverpool win but I'd rather lose heavily and have a go at a team, than sit back and lose 1-0. It's still 3 points lost either way.

I would consider having a go at a team and losing 3 or 4-nil or a heavy scoreline to be tactically naïve and a bad result, regardless of how well a team had played. Imo, you can't play well and then lose 3-0 or something like that, because surely that goes against the definition of playing well. Football is about attacking, but you also have to defend and defend well. There's a reason why Liverpool splashed out so much money on Van Dijk, because Klopp understands that. It's no good scoring 4 goals and playing well if you then go on to concede 5. That would piss me off immensely. I'm pretty sure Liverpool fans didn't care about "playing well" when they got pumped 5-0 by Man City or lost 4-1 playing Spurs.

Sure, football is about entertainment. But, it's a game and games are about winning. Of course, if Mourinho sits back for the entire game and offers no opportunity or chance to win the game, then he'll rightfully be slated by the fans. But, if he plays all-out attacking football with no thought to the defence and we end up losing by three goals, he'll also get slated by the fans. There has to be a balance. An intent to win a game, but also to know that there is more than one way to win it. The fact is that if we play open, expansive football and try to play a high line with full backs bombing forward and Matic trying to hold an entire midfield by himself...knowing full well that Liverpool have pace and players like Salah in their team, we will get ripped apart like tinfoil on the counter. That is tactically naïve. Of course, if we win 4-0 and Liverpool fluff all of their chances, then you can disregard everything that I say! But, at this moment, the point still stands. 

We are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, Flinky. ::shrug:

In other news, I can't believe Spurs fluffed it last night. I had an early night and they were winning when I went to bed. I woke up this morning to find they had been knocked out. Crazy! 

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

In other news, I can't believe Spurs fluffed it last night. I had an early night and they were winning when I went to bed. I woke up this morning to find they had been knocked out. Crazy! 

I watched it and have to say: Deservedly knocked out. They missed so many chances and the moment Allegri changed things up Spurs were out of the game for a couple of minutes...and conceded two goals. After that they weren't able to score yet again. Juve's experienced really showed.

It was a great match for a neutral football fan :D

Can't wait for Euro League tonight. With Dortmund and Leipzig there are still two German teams in the competition. :peace: 

I really want to see Lokomotiv Moscow upset Atlético Madrid :D

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

We are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, Flinky. ::shrug:

We're not going to agree on this one. :D

Although...the comic timing between the content of my post and the Spurs result does show what I was getting at. The result seems crazy on the outside, but it is less so the more you look at it. Juve should have had a penalty in the first half and the defending that led to both Juve goals wasn't great. Chiellini was outstanding in the second half. Blocked everything. 

I predicted a 4-0 win for AC Milan, I was not expecting that, Mkhi loves the Europa League doesn't he @Fierce_LiNk

I hear it could have been 4 or 5 nil. But Ostersunds showed this tie isn't won yet.

11 hours ago, Emerald Emblem said:

I predicted a 4-0 win for AC Milan, I was not expecting that, Mkhi loves the Europa League doesn't he @Fierce_LiNk

I hear it could have been 4 or 5 nil. But Ostersunds showed this tie isn't won yet.

I would have thought you would have been disappointed with a win. One of my best mates is an Arsenal fan and he is hoping they keep losing just so Wenger will get the boot. If you guys get Champions League football via the Europa League then I imagine he will be staying put.

Sign in to follow this