NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2017-18

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I wish United would hustle and play with the same intensity that Liverpool played with today.

There was a lot of messages being sent into the BBC saying the same thing, to be fair though your still second so can't be doing much wrong. 

46 minutes ago, James said:

There was a lot of messages being sent into the BBC saying the same thing, to be fair though your still second so can't be doing much wrong. 

That's true, but we've been pretty negative in our attitude towards the teams in the upper end of the table. I love it when teams press high up the pitch and stop the opposition from having time on the ball. Liverpool did that really well today.

We’ve been so lacklustre as of late that I can’t muster up the energy to post! Haha

Very sad news about Cyrille Regis today. The tributes have been pouring in and, although I was aware of who Cyrille Regis was (my Dad is a big Coventry City) I didn't understand the significance his success in the face of racism was to the subsequent generation of black British footballers. The abuse that he and the likes of Laurie Cunningham had to suffer from the terraces and the calm demeanor that they kept as they just went about their business certainty helped to change attitudes and it was not something that I really appreciated until I read the tributes from stars of the 90's and 2000's like Dion Dublin and Andy Cole who revered Cyrille as a legend and credit him as being the reason they felt they could succeed in football and garner the same respect as their white team mates. 

As Coventry's FA Cup winning manager John Sillett said on the news earlier "God must have needed another centre forward" RIP Cyrille Regis.

Edited by killthenet

Well it's taking its time, but heres hoping we can get the Alexis-Mkhitaryan swap done sooner rather than later, considering we were gonna lose him in the Summer to City for nothing, getting another quality player in exchange is a good bit of business at the end of the day. Dormund have also just confirmed we've made a first approach for Aubameyang. getting both of them would be a real coup.

Was good to see Arsenal win handsomely against the resurgent Crystal Palace, Ozil and Wilshere played really well and Lacazette finally scored for the first time in 10 games, hell until he came off Monreal got 2 assists and a goal within 15 minutes, thankfully he was able to come off as a precaution just after.

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, killthenet said:

Very sad news about Cyrille Regis today. The tributes have been pouring in and, although I was aware of who Cyrille Regis was (my Dad is a big Coventry City) I didn't understand the significance his success in the face of racism was to the subsequent generation of black British footballers. The abuse that he and the likes of Laurie Cunningham had to suffer from the terraces and the calm demeanor that they kept as they just went about their business certainty helped to change attitudes and it was not something that I really appreciated until I read the tributes from stars of the 90's and 2000's like Dion Dublin and Andy Cole who revered Cyrille as a legend and credit him as being the reason they felt they could succeed in football and garner the same respect as their white team mates. 

As Coventry's FA Cup winning manager John Sillett said on the news earlier "God must have needed another centre forward" RIP Cyrille Regis.

Legend of a man and really sad news to hear that he had passed away. The interview the other day with Dion Dublin in tears just shows you how big an impact that he has had on the sport and on black people. A true pioneer and a legend. RIP.

4 hours ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Well it's taking its time, but heres hoping we can get the Alexis-Mkhitaryan swap done sooner rather than later, considering we were gonna lose him in the Summer to City for nothing, getting another quality player in exchange is a good bit of business at the end of the day. Dormund have also just confirmed we've made a first approach for Aubameyang. getting both of them would be a real coup.

Was good to see Arsenal win handsomely against the resurgent Crystal Palace, Ozil and Wilshere played really well and Lacazette finally scored for the first time in 10 games, hell until he came off Monreal got 2 assists and a goal within 15 minutes, thankfully he was able to come off as a precaution just after.

I'm mixed about Mkhitaryan. I wasn't that excited when he had signed as I wasn't sure where he'd play and I'm not really disappointed or gutted or happy that he's leaving. He's been one of our most inconsistent performers in recent years and has put in some shocking performances this season, even when Mourinho stuck with him and kept playing him despite his form being terrible. Couldn't cross the ball, no real end product at times, wasn't particularly hard working, didn't link up well with the players and didn't offer much to the team. He started off the season well and then just seemed to get worse with each performance. 

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, Nicktendo said:

NO

DUTZjzIWsAAlAf7.jpg:large

I don't actually have a problem with the logo, although it's more befitting as part of a "Respect" campaign or something to that extent. It's a good tribute type of logo, but it doesn't really work as part of a club's emblem.

So, what do we think of VAR, so far? SO VAR? Ahahahaha.

Lots of people appear to be divided on it following the Liverpool match yesterday.

2 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

So, what do we think of VAR, so far? SO VAR? Ahahahaha.

Lots of people appear to be divided on it following the Liverpool match yesterday.

VAR is great and essential going forward.

It has teething problems such as time taken to make/reverse decisions and people clearly communicating to everyone in the stadium what is going on but the fact is all the decisions made yesterday were correct, thanks to VAR. It was always going to take time to get it right but isn't it much better to have a few people complaining that the "flow of the game" was stopped a few times rather than everyone complaining about the ref getting decisions wrong?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddage said:

VAR is great and essential going forward.

It has teething problems such as time taken to make/reverse decisions and people clearly communicating to everyone in the stadium what is going on but the fact is all the decisions made yesterday were correct, thanks to VAR. It was always going to take time to get it right but isn't it much better to have a few people complaining that the "flow of the game" was stopped a few times rather than everyone complaining about the ref getting decisions wrong?

I agree with all of this.

I don't get this talk about the flow of the game. A lot of matches are very stop start, with the ball going out of play, or the goalkeeper taking an age for a goalkick or when setting up walls for free-kicks. There's actually a lot of time wasted in football, probably more than we all realise. The Premier League isn't always end-to-end with quick passing and lightning fast counters all the time, for example. 

I'm all for VAR. I'd rather a few seconds get used up to make the correct decision rather than my team getting knocked out of a competition because a goal wasn't given when it should have been. There's a lot of "false romance" with some elements of football. There's no fun in criticising referees when they make the wrong decisions. I've heard some say that it gives you more to talk about afterwards. The game should be enough! 

• Like 1

This season VAR has been introduced to Bundesliga. Most fans that I've been talking to and most people in the stadiums (as far as you can tell from their reactions) are against it. They think it takes away emotions, stops the flow, doesn't make the game fairer, etc.

Here are some stats from the first half of the season (I could give you the source, but it's in German; just believe me :p):

• approx. 1000 decisions have been reviewed in the first 153 matches of the season; about 7 reviews per match on average
  • all 424 goals have been reviewed
  • 50 corrections have been made
    • 19 penalties that have been given subsequently
    • 11 penalties have been taken back
    • red cards given: 5
    • red cards taken back: 1
    • yellow cards given: 3
    • goals taken back: 11
      • not included are the decisions that have confirmed the official's decision
  • there still have been 23 wrong decisions (goals, sending-offs, penalties)
    • BUT that is a huge improvement over the past five seasons: in each of those there have been 52 wrong decisions on average per first half of the season

There is absolutely NO denying that the game has become fairer.

I disagree that VAR takes away emotions from situations...to be honest, it's kind of suspenseful to wait for the decision. And players still celebrate after goals that have been given later.
And to be honest: I like how VAR's decisions remove the stupid complaining by (some) players...they know they fucked up and why they get penalized.

I do think, however, that it should be more transparent to the people in the stadium; after a decision made by the VAR, why not show replays on screen? Most stadiums in the big leagues have one (at least in Germany).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

This season VAR has been introduced to Bundesliga. Most fans that I've been talking to and most people in the stadiums (as far as you can tell from their reactions) are against it. They think it takes away emotions, stops the flow, doesn't make the game fairer, etc.

Here are some stats from the first half of the season (I could give you the source, but it's in German; just believe me :p):

• approx. 1000 decisions have been reviewed in the first 153 matches of the season; about 7 reviews per match on average
  • all 424 goals have been reviewed
  • 50 corrections have been made
    • 19 penalties that have been given subsequently
    • 11 penalties have been taken back
    • red cards given: 5
    • red cards taken back: 1
    • yellow cards given: 3
    • goals taken back: 11
      • not included are the decisions that have confirmed the official's decision
  • there still have been 23 wrong decisions (goals, sending-offs, penalties)
    • BUT that is a huge improvement over the past five seasons: in each of those there have been 52 wrong decisions on average per first half of the season

There is absolutely NO denying that the game has become fairer.

I disagree that VAR takes away emotions from situations...to be honest, it's kind of suspenseful to wait for the decision. And players still celebrate after goals that have been given later.
And to be honest: I like how VAR's decisions remove the stupid complaining by (some) players...they know they fucked up and why they get penalized.

I do think, however, that it should be more transparent to the people in the stadium; after a decision made by the VAR, why not show replays on screen? Most stadiums in the big leagues have one (at least in Germany).

Wow at those stats. There's no doubt that it makes the game more fair. Plus, surely this will lead to less diving or the other unsavoury aspects of the sports.

I also agree with your suggestion about replays on the stadium screens. Would help the fans at the stadium. 

It'll be a success, but it'll take time. There's so few reasons not to go with VAR. 

4 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Plus, surely this will lead to less diving or the other unsavoury aspects of the sports.

Hans Meyer, former player and coach for several German teams, once said in an interview (loosely translated): We have so many cameras that cover so many angles, why don't we use them? Here's a proposition: If a dive hasn't been seen during a game but can be proved after a game with replays, penalize the player. Suspend him for the next game. I guarantee you: After the next 3 or 4 weeks we'd never see dives again, if this rule was enforced."

It's a drastic proposition (he said this 6 or 7 years ago, if I remember correctly) but I agree. This is something I still want to see. Penalize a player after a game. Even if he got a yellow card during the game...if his action warrants a red card he should receive one.

Anyway, VAR are a step in the right direction. With a few more improvements it will be an even better addition to Football than it already is.

Just now, drahkon said:

Hans Meyer, former player and coach for several German teams, once said in an interview (loosely translated): We have so many cameras that cover so many angles, why don't we use them? Here's a proposition: If a dive hasn't been seen during a game but can be proved after a game with replays, penalize the player. Suspend him for the next game. I guarantee you: After the next 3 or 4 weeks we'd never see dives again, if this rule was enforced."

It's a drastic proposition (he said this 6 or 7 years ago, if I remember correctly) but I agree. This is something I still want to see. Penalize a player after a game. Even if he got a yellow card during the game...if his action warrants a red card he should receive one.

Anyway, VAR are a step in the right direction. With a few more improvements it will be an even better addition to Football than it already is.

I'm not a fan of retrospective action. If an incident occurs in the game, it should be dealt with immediately. Imagine a player committing a red card offence, the referee gives nothing and that same player goes on to score the winner. 

Retrospective action is better than nothing, but it's not my ideal choice. If VAR can go some way to fixing these sorts of issues, then I'm for it. Today in the Cardiff/Man City game, the referee gave a player a yellow card when it should have been a red for a terrible foul. VAR wasn't available for that match. The same player ended up getting sent off much later, but still.

3 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I'm not a fan of retrospective action. If an incident occurs in the game, it should be dealt with immediately. Imagine a player committing a red card offence, the referee gives nothing and that same player goes on to score the winner.

Hm, yeah. With the VAR this is how it should be done.

I think Meyer was right with his idea back then, though.

So if Dortmund can get a replacement, Aubameyang will make a £60 million switch to Arsenal. What a buy that would be. Also Spurs have agreed a £25 million fee to get Moura from PSG. Sturridge is set for a loan deal with West Brom, reckon he will break into the World Cup squad with this move?.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

If Aubameyang doesn't change his childish and arrogant attitude...oh boy, poor Arsenal fans.

Aubameyang to Arse. Giroud to Chelsea. Batshuayi to BvB (loan).

It’s done, if all but confirmed.

I feel for Bats a bit, he’s not been given a decent chance of a run of games in the team. Just a bit-part player. He’s got a goal every 48mins for us, he deserved a chance at a run in the team!

Edited by Kav

So...Kane was in our half before the ball was played at kick-off, therefore the goal shouldn't have stood. Piss poor defending, but still...can't wait for VAR to be used properly in every match.

Also, Phil Jones. No words.

On 31/01/2018 at 12:12 PM, Kav said:

Aubameyang to Arse. Giroud to Chelsea. Batshuayi to BvB (loan).

It’s done, if all but confirmed.

I feel for Bats a bit, he’s not been given a decent chance of a run of games in the team. Just a bit-part player. He’s got a goal every 48mins for us, he deserved a chance at a run in the team!

Bats has only got such a good scoring record because he's played against crap teams in the CL and in the Cups. I saw him vs Qarabag and he was absolutely woeful but still managed to score. If he's playing against top teams his record would be much worse.

10 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Bats has only got such a good scoring record because he's played against crap teams in the CL and in the Cups. I saw him vs Qarabag and he was absolutely woeful but still managed to score. If he's playing against top teams his record would be much worse.

Well we wouldn’t know as he’s not been given the chance. With Morata having been out of form/injured he should’ve been given a run of games... but when you’re not selected you lose match-sharpness & confidence.

On 31/01/2018 at 8:31 PM, Fierce_LiNk said:

So...Kane was in our half before the ball was played at kick-off, therefore the goal shouldn't have stood. Piss poor defending, but still...can't wait for VAR to be used properly in every match.

Also, Phil Jones. No words.

VAR wouldn't have been used in that instance. 

Tottenham were really impressive, 2-0 was flattering for Man U who were really really poor. Pogba.... how come no one mentions they paid nearly 100m for this player? And lukaku :laughing: All the money Man U have spent and this is the team they have... Lots of great attacking talent, but no balance.

Aso, tactically, it was so surprised how much long ball football you played, seemed to be your only tactic, has that been common? 

Sign in to follow this