NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The Star Wars Thread

1 minute ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Whoa as in "whoa impressive" or "whoa that would've done some damage like in Last Jedi?"

Just whoa as in what a cool shot :)

Some big news coming from StarWars.com. As far as I can remember, this is the hardest they've pushed May 4th; we've had a lot of announcements today. 

star-wars-announcement-taika-tall-1024x5

Academy Award® winner Taika Waititi, who recently won Best Adapted Screenplay for Jojo Rabbit and directed the widely-acclaimed first season finale episode of The Mandalorian on Disney+, will direct and co-write a new Star Wars feature film for theatrical release.

Joining Waititi on the screenplay will be Academy Award® nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns (1917, Last Night in Soho), who received a BAFTA Award for Outstanding British Film of the Year on the three-time Oscar-winning film, 1917.

In addition, Emmy®-nominated writer Leslye Headland (Russian Doll, Bachelorette) is currently developing a new untitled Star Wars series for Disney+. Headland will write, executive produce, and serve as showrunner for the series, which adds to a growing list of Star Wars stories for Disney’s streaming platform including The Mandalorian, now in post-production on Season Two, and two other previously announced series: one based on Cassian Andor’s life prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and another following the adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi between Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: A New Hope.

Release dates for both Waititi’s and Headland’s projects have not yet been announced.

Please, please, please let Taika's project be about a comedy club in the lower levels of Coruscant...

Edited by Julius

People seem very happy re: Waititi, much less so re: Headland for some reason.

I don't really see the point for a female centric Star Wars show though ::shrug: are we going to have a male centric one too? Why not just have a series everyone can enjoy.

But yeah, tons of Star Wars goodness today. Looking forward to the Mandalorian Behind the Scenes series, will watch the first episode of that tonight

Edited by Ronnie

Love the concept art takeover on Disney+, some beautiful work Chiang and of course McQuarrie

Disney_MT4_FB.Home_Device_Press.jpg

Disney-MT4_Detail_Phantom_Device_Press.j

Disney-MT4_Detail_LastJedi_Device_Press.

Disney-MT4_Detail_Empire_Device_Press.jp

The Return of the Jedi one is especially cool

On 5/4/2020 at 5:56 PM, Ronnie said:

I don't really see the point for a female centric Star Wars show though ::shrug: are we going to have a male centric one too? Why not just have a series everyone can enjoy.

Just because a show is focused on female characters doesn't mean it's exclusively for women. Why shouldn't the franchise branch out and look for new stories to tell? There have been plenty of male centric Star Wars stories, pushing for more representation shouldn't be seen as an affront to your masculinity - the Star Wars fanbase isn't entirely made up of nerdy white guys you know

The first season of Russian Doll was fantastic, I look forward to seeing what she has cooked up for Star Wars.

Waititi is a solid choice to turn to for future projects but I feel like after the disappointment of ROTS Disney should be giving theatrical releases a break for a while, there is plenty of Star Wars TV on the way to satiate the fans in the interim.

Edited by killthenet

Why shouldn't the franchise branch out and look for new stories to tell?

Great! Tell new stories that we've never seen before. But how does female characters = new stories? 

There have been plenty of male centric Star Wars stories

What does that even mean? What are some "male centric Star Wars stories"?

shouldn't be seen as an affront to your masculinity

Don't put words in my mouth. I never suggested my masculinity was threatened. That would be ridiculous, but it's an easy and tired cliche to jump on.

12 hours ago, killthenet said:

the Star Wars fanbase isn't entirely made up of nerdy white guys you know

Really? You don't say. As a gay, half middle eastern man, yes, I realise that. :indeed: 

Not to mix my sci-fi franchises up but maybe stand down from red alert? All I meant was instead of cutting your market in half, why not look to tell stories that everyone can enjoy. It's just a funny world where saying a series is going to be "male focused" would be sexist, but saying it's going to "female focused" is representation.

Edited by Ronnie

I was challenging your insinuation that a production with a female voice is somehow excluding male viewers - the focus is for greater representation of the fanbase, not a reductionist agenda that your were implying. 

I can't speak for The Clone Wars but as far as the film series and The Mandalorian are concerned there is definitely a dearth of strong female characters - Leia is practically all we get in the original trilogy and Padme & Rey aren't exactly the greatest characters in the prequel and sequel series but they're about all there is in terms of female representation in those films too. Rose was great in The Last Jedi but after the toxic backlash and bullying they reduced her character in ROTS to basically nothing. Rogue One on the other hand is quite balanced in its representation, Jyn is a complex character and the film tells a compelling and contained story. There is plenty of scope for diversity in the Star Wars franchise, opening up and telling "female focused" stories doesn't inherently cut the market in half and alienate male fans, if anything it appeals to a wider market and makes the franchise more welcoming. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, killthenet said:

I was challenging your insinuation that a production with a female voice is somehow excluding male viewers

The quote that's going around about the show is that it's "female-centric". That's what I'm going on, it's not my judgement, it's that of insiders. 

there is definitely a dearth of strong female characters

Leia is the most beloved character of six films, she's certainly treated as such, especially in 7, 8 and 9. Ahsoka Tano is another beloved fan favourite, she's the main star of a 7 season long animated show, and from what I understand is an amazing character. Rey is literally the main lead of the three modern day saga films and Jyn Erso was the main lead on one of the two spin off films. There's loads of Strong Female Characters™, especially under Disney, not just in lead roles but side ones too, and that's great. 

I'm not kicking and screaming that Disney are making a show for the female market (allegedly), I just question why they can't make a show that everyone can enjoy with Strong Female Characters and strong male characters as well, doing Star Wars-y things.

Can I ask again what those "male centric Star Wars stories" you mentioned are please? And how female characters = new stories?

If this series is to "broaden the fanbase" then sure, but I'm not sure Star Wars needs broadening. Fans of either gender love it and one look around the Celebration floor and you'll see a 50:50 mix, which is great. 

Edited by Ronnie

I did note that I wasn't familiar with The Clone Wars, I have never watched the series and I'm only vaguely aware of Ahsoka but I was referring to the live action films and The Mandalorian. 

The 'male centric Star Wars stories' within the live action films is self evident, the entirety of the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy are centred on the journeys of gifted male Jedi who each learn from an older male Jedi mentor. You can practically count up the number of female characters with agency in the entire series on one hand, it is an undeniable fact that the films up to this point have been dominated by male characters. What is probably more vital to note is that among 11 live action theatrical releases there have been a grand total of just four women involved in writing, directing or producing - an overwhelming majority of the decisions up to this point have been made by men. 

Your point about the fanbase being split equally across gender is hard to verify but seems pretty valid, Star Wars is one of the most successful entertainment properties of all time of course it has a diverse fanbase. Surely that only enhances the argument for more diversity in the characters and stories that are told, the loyal fanbase deserves to see more characters they can relate to, surely?

Anyway, you almost certainly know more about Star Wars than I do but I thought you deserved to be called out for your disparaging comments about the idea of a 'female centric' programme. 

• Like 2

The 'male centric Star Wars stories' within the live action films is self evident, the entirety of the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy are centred on the journeys of gifted male Jedi who each learn from an older male Jedi mentor.

Those aren't male-centric stories, they're stories that happen to involve male characters. 

What is probably more vital to note is that among 11 live action theatrical releases there have been a grand total of just four women involved in writing, directing or producing - an overwhelming majority of the decisions up to this point have been made by men. 

That's a separate discussion, and in general I agree, but it's no use looking 42 years back, look at more recent Star Wars and you'll see this is changing. That said I don't really care about the gender, race, sexuality of writers or directors, I just want the best person for the job to get it. Not someone just to fulfil a quota.

Your point about the fanbase being split equally across gender is hard to verify but seems pretty valid, Star Wars is one of the most successful entertainment properties of all time of course it has a diverse fanbase. Surely that only enhances the argument for more diversity in the characters and stories that are told, the loyal fanbase deserves to see more characters they can relate to, surely?

I've no issue at all with more female leads in addition to Ahsoka, Rey, Jyn (standing strong next to male leads like Anakin, Luke, Han and Kaz), but there's plenty of diversity in modern Star Wars. I just don't see why an entire series needs to be created that cuts that diversity in half and only shows female characters. Recent history has not been kind to things like this, be they critically or box office wise, look at the new Ghostbusters, the new Charlie's Angels, Ocean's 8, Birds of Prey etc. It's different with things like Wonder Woman, that's just an action film with a female lead, and that's great. The others are female-centric films from their very concept. It looks like this new Star Wars show is heading the same way, which is worrying.

I thought you deserved to be called out for your disparaging comments about the idea of a 'female centric' programme. 

And I disagree that my comment was disparaging. You can call me out if you want, but when your primary argument is female characters = new stories, I don't think it's achieved much.

Edited by Ronnie

This idea of jamming "female versions" of things is something that I will never understand. Want to have a story which has a woman as the main character in it? Fine, but when you start making the whole angle of "This time, they're all women!" as your hook it's a recipe for failure. See Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8 for prime examples. Not that they would've been improved if they were replaced by men, but if they focused more on the story etc they could've been much better.

• Like 2

That bit in Avengers Endgame where all the female superheroes line up with Girl Power was one of the lamest, most cringeworthy bits of cinema I've seen in a while.

Just have lots of female characters but treat them the same as you do male ones, don't draw attention to the distinction and it'll all work out. Hopefully this female-centric Star Wars show will be more Wonder Woman and less Ghostbusters 2016 etc. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That bit in Avengers Endgame where all the female superheroes line up with Girl Power was one of the lamest, most cringeworthy bits of cinema I've seen in a while.

I'm surprised that bit didn't include everyone pointing at them and cheering. I have no doubt people applauded at that bit in the premiere.

The thing which made it all the more ludicrous was that Captain Marvel charges through space, penetrates one of Thanos' ships like a hot knife through butter. With lube. But she'll be damned if she couldn't travel 50ft(?) to a van without assembling a hen party.

• Haha 1

The launch of The High Republic has been delayed until next year. 

high-republic-letter.jpg

Lucasfilm has confirmed new dates for the launch of Star Wars: The High Republic, due to general marketplace delays.

Both Charles Soule’s adult novel Star Wars: The High Republic: Light of the Jedi and Justina Ireland’s middle grade novel Star Wars: The High Republic: A Test of Courage will both now release on January 5, 2021. Claudia Gray’s young adult novel Star Wars: The High Republic: Into the Dark has moved to a new release date of February 2, 2021.

New release dates for Marvel’s Star Wars: The High Republic series and IDW Publishing’s Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures series will be announced at a later time.

Currently several episodes into Rebels season 3, and it just won't click for me for some reason. Aside from a few good episodes, the majority of it seems a bit formulaic and dull. Does it improve?

4K version of The Empire Strikes Back is being lined up for the reopening of cinemas in the UK, sometime next month. 

On the one hand, I would absolutely love to go to this. The Empire Strikes Back is my favourite Star Wars film, on par with A New Hope, and I've never seen it in theatres before. On the other? I think the rush to reopen cinemas so soon is a terrible idea with everything going on, and I would much rather play it safe and watch this at home (and similarly wait for new releases to come to home media). 

The screenings would also be at Vue cinemas, my closest one being a good while away. Oh well, guess I'll wait until next time ::shrug:

EA Wants to 'Double Down' on Making Star Wars Games

EA CEO Andrew Wilson has revealed that he wants to "double down" on the developer's creative partnership with Disney to make Star Wars games.The company held a fireside chat webinar with investors this week (via Gamespot). During the conference, Wilson alluded to the financial success of the modern Star Wars: Battlefront series, Respawn's Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and the mobile game Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes as part of his reasoning for further commitment to the licence. "We're going to double down on that partnership," Wilson explains. "Disney continues to be very very committed to the IP and to the canon."

Wilson sees strong opportunity in the future of the partnership as new fans connect with the Star Wars franchise. "We've got new generations [of fans] coming to the IP all the time," Wilson adds. "So our expectation is we think there continues to be a really really strong opportunity in an around that relationship and that IP going forward."

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-star-wars-games-future

If EA can keep up the high quality of Fallen Order, Battlefront II (eventually) and hopefully Squadrons, then this news sounds good to me. Though I'd still prefer Disney offer the license on a per studio/per game basis.

Could've gone in the Disney+ thread, but figure it fits in better here. 

Star Wars: The Bad Batch has just been announced to be coming in 2021, a follow-up spin-off to The Clone Wars! 

star-wars-the-bad-batch-logo.jpg?crop=0p

Today, Disney+ ordered its next animated series from Lucasfilm, Star Wars: The Bad Batch. Fresh off of the critically-acclaimed series finale of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the Disney+ original series will premiere on the streaming service in 2021.

The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch — a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill, which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.

“Giving new and existing fans the final chapter of Star Wars: The Clone Wars has been our honor at Disney+, and we are overjoyed by the global response to this landmark series,” said Agnes Chu, senior vice president, Content, Disney+.  “While The Clone Wars may have come to its conclusion, our partnership with the groundbreaking storytellers and artists at Lucasfilm Animation is only beginning.  We are thrilled to bring Dave Filoni’s vision to life through the next adventures of the Bad Batch.”

Star Wars: The Bad Batch is executive produced by Dave Filoni (The Mandalorian, Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Athena Portillo (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Brad Rau (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Resistance) and Jennifer Corbett (Star Wars Resistance, NCIS) with Carrie Beck (The Mandalorian, Star Wars Rebels) as co-executive producer and Josh Rimes as producer (Star Wars Resistance). Rau is also serving as supervising director with Corbett as head writer.

Read around a bit as a lot of rumours have popped up surrounding this and which characters may or may not be returning, the most interesting being that Disney are apparently interested in adapting Dark Disciple to the small screen. Would be very interested in seeing some of those other arcs (Cad Bane Vs Boba please!) teased so long ago, and others only realised in novels to this point, make their way over into Disney+ adaptations. 

Really, really disappointed it wasn't the Rebels sequel series being announced. Really hope that hasn't been cancelled. I think Filoni didn't sound too encouraging on more Rebels stories on the way recently.

Could have been a Disney decision maybe, Clone Wars getting more buzz than Rebels did or something like that.

Edited by Ronnie

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Really, really disappointed it wasn't the Rebels sequel series being announced. Really hope that hasn't been cancelled. I think Filoni didn't sound too encouraging on more Rebels stories on the way recently.

I'm pretty confident it's on the way, I'm thinking that this is more of a "hey, Clone Wars did some great numbers, we have stories lying around we'd like to tell", etc. I'm fairly confident that Bad Batch will utilise the same assets and same look as The Clone Wars too from what I've read about it, which is why the turnaround could potentially be so quick. The Rebels sequel, after Clone Wars and Rebels, is very likely to have its own distinct art style and assets to hand, and would understandably take longer to turn around. 

I think they're just saving it for something, along with the trailer for The Mandalorian Season 2 (which still hasn't been delayed from its October 2020 release window). Celebration was supposed to be next month until all of this went down, and both were likely to show up there (even if the Rebels sequel was only going to be a short hint of a trailer - I'm still of the mindset that it was going to be late 2020/early 2021), so it wouldn't surprise me if they have some more reveals lined up but wanted to get this (lesser but still exciting) reveal out of the way first. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

I'm pretty confident it's on the way, I'm thinking that this is more of a "hey, Clone Wars did some great numbers, we have stories lying around we'd like to tell", etc. I'm fairly confident that Bad Batch will utilise the same assets and same look as The Clone Wars too from what I've read about it, which is why the turnaround could potentially be so quick. The Rebels sequel, after Clone Wars and Rebels, is very likely to have its own distinct art style and assets to hand, and would understandably take longer to turn around. 

I think they're just saving it for something, along with the trailer for The Mandalorian Season 2 (which still hasn't been delayed from its October 2020 release window). Celebration was supposed to be next month until all of this went down, and both were likely to show up there (even if the Rebels sequel was only going to be a short hint of a trailer - I'm still of the mindset that it was going to be late 2020/early 2021), so it wouldn't surprise me if they have some more reveals lined up but wanted to get this (lesser but still exciting) reveal out of the way first. 

I'm not sure they would have announced two animated shows at the same time at Celebration or even close to each other. Hope you're right about the Bad Batch being a quicker turnaround if it's based on Clone Wars assets/art style etc. 

I suspect we'll just get announcements every few weeks for the next month or two, one of which being a Mando season 2 trailer (which I'm tempted to just not watch).

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm not sure they would have announced two animated shows at the same time at Celebration or even close to each other. Hope you're right about the Bad Batch being a quicker turnaround if it's based on Clone Wars assets/art style etc. 

My bad! Think I phrased it weirdly, so just to clarify, when I said "both", I was actually referring to the Rebels sequel and Mando S2, not Rebels sequel and Bad Batch. 

Yeah, I genuinely don't think they've had this in the works too long. In fact, the Bad Batch arc we get in S7 of The Clone Wars is just a fully realised version of a rigged version with basic models which they showed off at SWC 2015. Not to take anything away from the production of the show (looks great, I'm sure some lines were re-recorded too), but I do feel like polishing the show for release had Dave Filoni tossing around ideas for characters from the Bad Batch arc and another arc from the final season, and I'm guessing this one got the green light because it was much better received (and is honestly the more interesting direction to take it in). 

I'm expecting Bad Batch to a somewhat limited run show, maybe two arcs at maximum, at least the first time around. Think they'll then go on to realising some of the other planned arcs from TCW on an almost annual basis - it's such an easy way to bring people back to Disney+ for a potentially otherwise quiet month. 

I'd guess this will be Spring/Summer 2021, and the Rebels sequel will be Autumn/Winter 2021. 

I suspect we'll just get announcements every few weeks for the next month or two, one of which being a Mando season 2 trailer (which I'm tempted to just not watch).

Yeah, definitely expecting some more announcements in the coming month or so. Do you think Mando S2 will get delayed? I know filming finished fine but post-production on a project like this, even with people working from home, just seems like it could potentially not go as smoothly as they'd want.

Wouldn't be too surprised if it were to release a bit closer to the end of the year in all honesty. 

I didn't think that those characters were worth their own show, but seeing what happens to clones after order 66 does seem interesting.

They have to know it's just going to be called The Bad Bitch... Right?

Sign in to follow this