NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The Star Wars Thread

1 hour ago, Julius said:

I guess the way I'd put it is that the range of perceived quality of their live-action shows and films is much broader than I think it is for the animated series. This isn't to say that there hasn't been some great stuff in the live-action realm of course (there's a lot I love), I just think any drops in perceived quality have been much more noticeable and substantial than anything we've had for a long time in the animated Star Wars space. 

Fair enough, I see what you mean. Lucasfilm Animation certainly feels like a well oiled machine at this point, in contrast perhaps to the live action shows that often start from scratch in a way by bringing in new production teams etc.

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Yeah, it's scary how fast it's come around! Do wonder how they'll handle any panels around Mando, but I can't wait to be surrounded by hordes of Star Wars fans and feel that unquestionable positive energy again – it's one I haven't really experienced in-person with other Star Wars fans since probably Rogue One's release? Crazy to think that was over six years ago now :eek:

Tough to predict really, I could see a Mando-verse panel like they did last year, except this one will feature Mando, Ahsoka and Skeleton Crew. Otherwise, an Andor panel would be nice given that show never really got one and it's a huge hit, plus based in the UK too. Exciting times!

I'll probably skip this latest S3 trailer though, want to go in as blind as possible, even if they've been really good in the past about showing very little.

• Like 1

John Williams has gone full Hayao Miyazaki and has walked back his retirement to continue collaborating with Spielberg for as long as time allows. 

Well, this seemed inevitable. You don't work until your 90s and then retire without potential for a comeback :laughing:

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Guy's gonna be composing until he decomposes... and maybe even a bit after that.

Honestly, when you say that, I think he's genuinely one of the few minds I wouldn't mind having uploaded as an AI to continue to compose if it were an option. Probably one of a very select few geniuses alive today who can rightly be mentioned in the same breath as some of the greatest legends in his field. 

Awesome, the Mando posters are always great. Feels like it'll be quite an action packed season.

Looking forward to your trailer impressions @Julius

PS: it's nice to have posters that aren't just floating heads, like most posters are these days. A real throwback, which is fitting given the series itself.

Edited by Ronnie

The trailer for Mando S3:

The journeys of the Mandalorian through the Star Wars galaxy continue. Once a lone bounty hunter, Din Djarin has reunited with Grogu. Meanwhile, the New Republic struggles to lead the galaxy away from its dark history. The Mandalorian will cross paths with old allies and make new enemies as he and Grogu continue their journey together.

And well...

Spoiler

Coruscant. Battle droids. Mandalore. Yet another Order 66 flashback (please just give me the music). 

Oh, I'm in. 

EDIT: just seen someone suggest the Jedi in the Order 66 flashback with the long grey hair and green lightsaber could be Cin Drallig...now wouldn't that be something? 

Very solid trailer. Less than two minutes, which I like (save some surprises!), a little lacking on the music side of things (not at all indicative of the show's OST, but hey, hype trailer music has its place!), some good reveals, didn't pull all that much from the Celebration trailer. Very curious to see how this is received by those not caught up on Book of Boba Fett...

Anyways, not the best Mando trailer we've had, not the best Star Wars trailer we've had, but again, just very solid – its enough to get people thinking about subscribing to Disney+ again if they aren't currently, that's for sure. For me at least, the third season with Star Wars shows has usually been where things have really started to pick up, so I can't wait to see what's in store; I'm super excited! 

What's it now, a bit under six weeks to go? All aboard the hype train :bouncy: (also think this might be the sign I need to start thinking about catching up on Andor and TBB!)

Edited by Julius

God I don't know how I'll be able to resist watching this. Having said that, similar to S2, they're in the admirable position of knowing that everyone is going to tune in regardless so they don't need to build a 'hype' trailer and can just show a few teasing scenes. It was amazing going into the last 4 eps of the second season without having seen any of it in trailers.

I did see a quick screenshot of Paul Sun-Hyung Lee's character, I wonder if some of the Rangers of the New Republic storyline will get folded into Mando. I'd love that personally as I was one of the weirdos who was more looking forward to that series than Kenobi!

Edited by Ronnie

Ok f it, watched it, as expected it didn't give much away. Looks great, apart from that one CG shot of Dr Pershing.

Endor/Andor episode 3 was really good, hoping the rest of the series is more of the same, but what's this? A plucky band of rebels banding together to fight the evil Empire?! Carrying out raids against forces far in excess of their own?! And a newbie who'll have to gain their trust and prove themselves?! Yep, it's that fucking Star Wars plotline again.

Mandalorian trailer looks great though. Love me some Grogu.

Old news, but list of directors

Obviously delighted to see Bryce Dallas Howard back, her stock is through the roof with Star Wars atm. She got a huge spontaneous cheer at Celebration when her dad mentioned her name on the live stage. Also really happy to see Rick Famuyiwa directing, he was in charge of three of my favourite episodes of Mando so far, The Child, The Prisoner and The Passenger. They've all got a great, somewhat surreal tone to them. Can't say I'm familiar with three of the other directors. Surprised Favreau isn't back, but then again maybe not that surprised given he probably has a lot on his plate atm.

Edited by Ronnie

Finished watching Andor. It was good, my wife and I really enjoyed it. I'm trying to work out if it was good good, or just good for Star Wars though. At least it's a step in the right direction. Let's hope any other shows are as well written moving forward.

On 2/1/2023 at 4:12 PM, Ronnie said:

Can't say I'm familiar with three of the other directors.

To help fill the gaps :peace:

Lee Isaac Chung – directed Minari, a wonderful slice-of-life piece on Koreans emigrating to America, which I adored. It got six Oscar noms, including for Best Picture and Best Director. 

Peter Ramsey – co-director of Into the Spider-Verse, which needs no introduction. I'm pretty sure he's also signed up for Ahsoka

Rachel Morrison – I knew she'd been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Cinematography (first woman to be nominated for the award makes it a memorable one!), but I didn't know until looking her up to see what else she had up her sleeves that she also worked on Fruitvale Station and Black Panther with Ryan Coogler! 

15 minutes ago, Julius said:

To help fill the gaps :peace:

Lee Isaac Chung – directed Minari, a wonderful slice-of-life piece on Koreans emigrating to America, which I adored. It got six Oscar noms, including for Best Picture and Best Director. 

Peter Ramsey – co-director of Into the Spider-Verse, which needs no introduction. I'm pretty sure he's also signed up for Ahsoka

Rachel Morrison – I knew she'd been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Cinematography (first woman to be nominated for the award makes it a memorable one!), but I didn't know until looking her up to see what else she had up her sleeves that she also worked on Fruitvale Station and Black Panther with Ryan Coogler! 

Thank you! Thanks for doing what I was clearly too lazy to do myself! Impressive list of directors then! Can't wait, less than a week to go.

And speaking of, nice little hype trailer for the series as a whole

Nice! Wonder if we'll see more Pedro Pascal himself this season. Story development wise it'd make sense.

Mandoverse recap. Just about does a good job of recapping what happened in Book of Boba Fett for those that missed it. 

New poster for Season 3:

FpCgpiZaMAEqKA4?format=jpg&name=4096x409

2 week trailer:

PS: Today's Bad Batch was fantastic, one of my favourites of the whole series.

• Like 1

It was announced pretty hush-hush yesterday that after this year's Celebration, there won't be another until 2025. Per the link in this tweet:

With tons to do and see at Celebration, there’s no one reason to go; but if you’ve yet to make the journey, and with Star Wars Celebration Europe coming April 7-10 in London, here are five reasons you may want to take the plunge. (And if you can't join us this year, with the next Star Wars Celebration not taking place until 2025, you'll have plenty of time to work on your cosplay, refine your Wookiee roar, and sharpen your lightsaber skills.)

Bit of a shame, I think Star Wars can easily get away with having an annual Celebration (especially if things are going to be kept exclusive moving forwards), but it isn't totally unexpected, seeing as Disney had been positioning D23 and SWC to take place in alternating years, but COVID happening meant both got delayed and then they returned together last year. 

Probably a return to Orlando next in 2025 at a guess? I'm kind of shocked they haven't had one in/around Paris, or anywhere else they have a theme park presence, just considering that's how they seem to plan their show locations in the States (Anaheim/Orlando). 

• Like 1

Yeah a bit of a shame there won't be one next year but I was kind of expecting it. Orlando makes a lot of sense if they stick to the same pattern. 10th anniversary of TFA (my god where does time go) and 30th of ROTS. And only 6 weeks until Celebration London!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah a bit of a shame there won't be one next year but I was kind of expecting it. Orlando makes a lot of sense if they stick to the same pattern. 10th anniversary of TFA (my god where does time go) and 30th of ROTS. And only 6 weeks until Celebration London!

I think you have your maths wrong there, unless i'm older than I thought.

Sign in to follow this