NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The Star Wars Thread

New Andor trailer:

And a three episode premiere to boot, though the show has now been delayed from the end of August to September 21st:

Edited by Julius

Had a brilliant time watching Obi-Wandalorian. 

It's funny that after all of these years, all the fans want is Obi-Wan and Darth Vader. Yessss. Just give the fans what they want. :laughing:

Apart from it saying "Witness the beginning of Rebellion", that trailer gave me nothing. Zero interest at this point.

• Weird 1

Obi-Wan Kenobi: A Jedi's Return, the BTS documentary for Obi-Wan Kenobi, starts streaming 8th September:

My feelings for the show aside, I'm excited for this – it's been a long, long time since we've had Ewan and Hayden in BTS stuff, and the prequels haven't exactly been given the exhaustive treatment that the original trilogy has in the time since they released. 

Also, poster:

Edited by Julius

Another official poster for Andor:

Think I prefer the first one, but still, it's nice enough. Saw's hair sure is something, though :laughing:

On 01/08/2022 at 1:38 PM, Julius said:

New Andor trailer:

And a three episode premiere to boot, though the show has now been delayed from the end of August to September 21st:

Only just got around to watching this trailer. Wasn't that excited about this before, but that looks pretty good - the cast looks incredible (Patrick from Coupling?!). 

I think the reason why I like The Mandolorian more than the other recent Star Wars offerings, is that it's not evil Empire vs plucky rebels over and over again. Trailer looks good.

Good trailer but the one at Celebration was different and even better. Looks like they're still holding things back.

1 hour ago, bob said:

I think the reason why I like The Mandolorian more than the other recent Star Wars offerings, is that it's not evil Empire vs plucky rebels over and over again. Trailer looks good.

I agree I'd like to see new things now (which I think they are doing a bit of that too tbf), but I think that's just a sign of the times tbh, not just Star Wars. I know I say this a lot on here, but modern day audiences have just been conditioned to want what's familiar. That's why everything these days seems to be a sequel or reboot or remake, or thing that gets an old cast back together. 

Edited by Ronnie

I think Andor could be on its way to being the best live-action Star Wars tv series, at least on par with Mando. The first three episodes were fucking fantastic. No wonder they released them all at the same time.

On-location shooting, great dialogue, amazing visuals, a layered and interesting storyline, great acting and chock full of details that'll keep Star Wars nerds busy for years.

It's fairly different in tone to typical Star Wars, and whilst kids will obviously still enjoy it, it feels like it was made for a slightly older demographic, but still with touches of typical humour.

Huge fan of Cyril Karn the inspector agent and of course the Andor family droid. Loved the way they weaved the flashbacks in with the story, perfect transitions.

Need to watch a couple more times to take it all in, but I'm very impressed. I had a feeling this show would deliver and it looks to be doing that. No wonder Tony Gilroy seemed to be almost gloating about it in interviews.

After two space western shows, and a prequel follow-up centred on a Jedi, to get this more down to earth story about regular people is refreshing and well-timed.

Edited by Ronnie

F me Andor is outstanding. The last couple of episodes, 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and rightly so. This week's one... wow.

@Ronnie

You and I have diametrically opposing views on this, but that's fine because the world would be very boring if we were all the same!

For a definition of "boring" see "Star Wars: Andor" - A live-action Sci-Fi television series developed for the on-demand Disney+ internet content providing service. "Star Wars: Andor" is given as the new definition of "boring" because the plot, characters and writing would glow the colour beige if exposed to ultraviolet light. The characters are so two-dimensional that a piece of paper in the audience was heard to remark "Ooo, that guy's a bit flat."

I had to stop watching after episode five because I was tempted to grab my screen and shout "SOMETHING HAPPEN! ANYTHING! SOMETHING! A SEAGULL! LET THERE BE A SEAGULL! SOMETHING OTHER THAN THIS RELENTLESS SNORE-FEST OF A SLOW-MOTION TRAINWRECK OF A SHOW! SEAGULL, NOW!"

Seriously, I am sure that people enjoy it, and I am fine with it: I just personally found it painful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Iun said:

@Ronnie

You and I have diametrically opposing views on this, but that's fine because the world would be very boring if we were all the same!

For a definition of "boring" see "Star Wars: Andor" - A live-action Sci-Fi television series developed for the on-demand Disney+ internet content providing service. "Star Wars: Andor" is given as the new definition of "boring" because the plot, characters and writing would glow the colour beige if exposed to ultraviolet light. The characters are so two-dimensional that a piece of paper in the audience was heard to remark "Ooo, that guy's a bit flat."

I had to stop watching after episode five because I was tempted to grab my screen and shout "SOMETHING HAPPEN! ANYTHING! SOMETHING! A SEAGULL! LET THERE BE A SEAGULL! SOMETHING OTHER THAN THIS RELENTLESS SNORE-FEST OF A SLOW-MOTION TRAINWRECK OF A SHOW! SEAGULL, NOW!"

Seriously, I am sure that people enjoy it, and I am fine with it: I just personally found it painful.

Call the show slow if you want, eps 3 and 6 were anything but, but sure. But don't call the characters "two dimensional pieces of paper", I'm all for opinions, but that's just flat out wrong. The entire narrative structure of the show is three episode arcs where they spend two developing the characters with the third being the emotional and action packed pay-off. But yeah if you want non-stop pew pew action then the show probably isn't for you.

" flat out wrong "

...cough. Two dimensional.

Flat. :D

I'm messing with you - enjoy it by all means, I tried, and I really stuck with it, but it just wasn't for this Weasel.

• Haha 1

Another episode of Andor, another 100% rating on RT. Fully deserved. Brilliant.

Even without much action this week, every scene is so compelling and well put together. 

Ten years today since Disney bought Lucasfilm. 

The sequel trilogy, Rebels, Mando and Solo have struck the biggest chord with me personally in that time, but I've enjoyed almost all of it to be honest. Galaxy's Edge, Jedi Fallen Order, The Bad Batch, Andor, Rogue One, The Book of Boba Fett, the High Republic etc etc :heart:

There's been a few mis-steps (as there is in everything, especially at the beginning) but on the whole I've had a blast. I think I'm probably a bigger Star Wars fan now than I was in the OT era.

Another outstanding episode of Andor.

The dialogue, writing, cinematography, performances, story threads. Absolutely top notch.

Fantastic finale to Andor, to a fantastic series. I'm pleased to see it's getting such overwhelmingly high praise online, many articles putting it alongside House of the Dragon. I certainly wouldn't disagree. The show is masterfully put together. Shame we have to wait two years for season 2.

Edited by Ronnie

Blown away by this week's episode of The Bad Batch. People talking about it being some of the best Star Wars tv around and it's hard to disagree. It's been all of a month and a half since I last heard that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Blown away by this week's episode of The Bad Batch. People talking about it being some of the best Star Wars tv around and it's hard to disagree. It's been all of a month and a half since I last heard that.

Glad to hear it's living up to the hype! Always love seeing animated Star Wars get more love, think I saw a SWE video just the other day in my YouTube feed about why people should dive into the animated stuff, and couldn't agree more with the sentiment. If nothing else I think it's probably been the most consistent in terms of quality and output since Disney bought Lucasfilm? 

Personally, I'm on a bit of a Star Wars fast at the moment, and think I'm going to see if I can hold off until mid-March for The Bad Batch, same goes for Andor. Then I'm going to binge the hell out of them, play Jedi Survivor, maybe revisit the other live-action shows, rewatch all the films and my favourite episodes/arcs of TCW and Rebels to prep and get hyped for Celebration in April :yay:

18 minutes ago, Julius said:

think I saw a SWE video just the other day in my YouTube feed about why people should dive into the animated stuff, and couldn't agree more with the sentiment. If nothing else I think it's probably been the most consistent in terms of quality and output since Disney bought Lucasfilm? 

Yeah saw that video too. Alex is doing brilliant work these days, met him and his wife at Celebration, lovely people.

I'm not sure consistency is quite on the animation shows' side, there are some forgettable episodes but I suppose that's true of any series. Still, out of 16 Bad Batch eps in S1 I'd say 10 of them are top notch. But then again even in the ones that aren't top tier, they still have character development stuff that's worthwhile and adds to the whole.

22 minutes ago, Julius said:

Personally, I'm on a bit of a Star Wars fast at the moment, and think I'm going to see if I can hold off until mid-March for The Bad Batch, same goes for Andor. Then I'm going to binge the hell out of them, play Jedi Survivor, maybe revisit the other live-action shows, rewatch all the films and my favourite episodes/arcs of TCW and Rebels to prep and get hyped for Celebration in April

Nice! Crazy it's less than 90 days away. We'll be in the middle of Mando during it too, which'll be interesting, a buzz in the air for sure.

Just watched the first couple of episodes of Andor. 

I was a bit confused during the first episode, as I kept expecting it to be set on Andor, the titular planet for which the series is named, or at least one of the planets forest moons. When the flashbacks started, i assumed it must be one of them, but they didn't refer to the planet name at all, which was weird.

It wasn't until halfway through the second episode, i find out the main character's surname is Andor?! What a coincidence, i think, and start Googling. Turns out the planet is called Endor! 

Anyway, the show is ok so far, but ive heard it needs a few episodes to get going.

• Haha 2

The trailer for Mando S3 will be releasing during Monday night's NFL Wild Card game, which starts early in the evening, so that should give us something nice to wake up to on Tuesday:

(just please don't be the exact same as the Celebration exclusive trailer from last year)

On 1/12/2023 at 12:41 PM, Ronnie said:

I'm not sure consistency is quite on the animation shows' side, there are some forgettable episodes but I suppose that's true of any series. Still, out of 16 Bad Batch eps in S1 I'd say 10 of them are top notch. But then again even in the ones that aren't top tier, they still have character development stuff that's worthwhile and adds to the whole.

Yeah, sorry, to be clear, I was referring to the shows' overall output upon conclusion (i.e. the entirety of TCW/Rebels) rather than the consistency of individual seasons (well apart from TBB I guess, but I think that's probably the most consistent first season of an animated Star Wars show...but it probably helps that it's kind of a TCW pseudo-sequel though?). 

I guess the way I'd put it is that the range of perceived quality of their live-action shows and films is much broader than I think it is for the animated series. This isn't to say that there hasn't been some great stuff in the live-action realm of course (there's a lot I love), I just think any drops in perceived quality have been much more noticeable and substantial than anything we've had for a long time in the animated Star Wars space. 

On 1/12/2023 at 12:41 PM, Ronnie said:

Nice! Crazy it's less than 90 days away. We'll be in the middle of Mando during it too, which'll be interesting, a buzz in the air for sure.

Yeah, it's scary how fast it's come around! Do wonder how they'll handle any panels around Mando, but I can't wait to be surrounded by hordes of Star Wars fans and feel that unquestionable positive energy again – it's one I haven't really experienced in-person with other Star Wars fans since probably Rogue One's release? Crazy to think that was over six years ago now :eek:

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this