NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The Star Wars Thread

Three new Star Wars films announced for 2022, 2024 and 2026  :)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/3-new-star-wars-film-will-star-arriving-in-2022-1834584244

Wonder if it'll be a new trilogy or a set of spin offs, probably the former I guess. The best news for me is all three are set to release in December of those years. Star Wars should always be a Christmas film, seeing Solo in May (?) just felt wrong.

Edited by Ronnie

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Three new Star Wars films announced for 2022, 2024 and 2026  :)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/3-new-star-wars-film-will-star-arriving-in-2022-1834584244

Wonder if it'll be a new trilogy or a set of spin offs, probably the former I guess. The best news for me is all three are set to release in December of those years. Star Wars should always be a Christmas film, seeing Solo in May (?) just felt wrong.

Not really many surprises here. They'll be alternating between Star Wars and Avatar in the December slot -- as was expected after the Fox acquisition -- for six years.

Really happy that we're getting a break with the films for nearly three years; given how much they've announced so far, and seem to have planned for Disney+, it gives it plenty of opportunity to breathe and, more importantly, gives fans time to have a breather too. As much as I love the ST (for the most part), it's hard to not admit that there have been some glaring missteps in how the property has been handled, and I think this gives them enough time for fans to build an appetite for Star Wars once again. 

Agreed on Solo being in May feeling wrong, but I think the numbers are what swayed their opinion moving forwards: that film could have easily doubled it's box office with more time in the oven (which I think it needed) and a better release slot (weeks after Infinity War, a week after Deadpool 2, and a couple of weeks ahead of Incredibles 2 always seemed like a bad idea). 

With regards to what these three films will be, we already know that Benioff and Weiss (co-creators of and showrunners for Game of Thrones) have a saga of sorts in the works, and Rian Johnson (writer and director of The Last Jedi) has a trilogy in the works. Whether or not they'll be connected is currently unknown, but both are expected to be hitting their stride in pre-production by the time that IX releases this December, or thereabouts, so, weirdly, I could see us bouncing back and forth between each project. 

Given the time that they've had so far, I'm expecting something with a much more solid plan (at least going in) than the sequel trilogy appears to have had -- so I do expect some interwoven storytelling. I wouldn't be surprised at all if both projects took place in the Old Republic era (I'm at least expecting one of them to), and we bounced between a darker, more lore heavy Force-focused storyline (GoT guys) and a bit of a lighter, more adventure-type storyline with a rag-tag team of misfits (RJ) -- then again, given the Prime Jedi hints in TLJ, maybe he might instead focus on some stuff from further back which will be referenced in the Old Republic era? For example, the actual foundations of the Jedi and Sith -- which will culminate MCU-style in the Battle of Ruusan (in the old EU/Legends, this was where the Sith were defeated and the Rule of Two was created by Darth Bane, as the Sith went into hiding for nearly a millennia). 

From a Q&A session with Disney CEO Bob Iger during the 6th Annual MoffettNathanson Media & Communications Summit: 

Elsewhere, John Williams has seen an early cut of IX (apparently really enjoying it) and has already written 25 minutes of the film's score.

We can expect one more live-action #StarWars series to come to Disney+ beyond the Cassian Andor series and #TheMandalorian. $DIS

Give us a X-Wing/starfighter/military series you cowards! Oh wait, I guess that might be the Cassion Andor series, shame I thought he was horribly miscast.

Just bought the first Thrawn audiobook. Never watched Rebels so don't know anything about the character but I only ever seem to hear good things so figured I would give it a try.

Ewan McGregor to reprise his role in an Obi-Wan series as well. Just hope he gets time to do the oft rumoured Long Way Up which is supposed to be happening this year. 

Disney+ is looking amazing. Shame they haven’t announced UK details yet. 

Feels like the three live action series might each tap into a different aspect of Star Wars...

The Mandalorian: bounty hunting/criminal underworld
Cassian Andor: rebel intelligence, spy, military side of things
Obi Wan: Jedi and the force

I wasn't a fan of TLJ teaser poster, but the final poster was absolutely stunning. Not a fan of the above at all, but I'm sure the release one will be great.

On another note, Triple Force Friday livestream coming in a couple of days...

Lucasfilm and stars from across the Star Wars saga will be unveiling the next generation of products from a galaxy far, far away — and we would be honored if you would join us.

Tune into YouTube.com/StarWars on Thursday, September 26, at 11 a.m. PT / 2 p.m. ET for a special livestream event based at Pinewood Studios in London, the famed shooting location of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Via live and recorded vignettes, generations of Star Wars icons will reveal new products in advance of their roll out on Triple Force Friday, October 4, all inspired by a trio of the year’s biggest Star Wars releases:

• Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The highly-anticipated final installment of the Skywalker Saga, which hits theaters December 20
  • The Mandalorian: The first-ever Star Wars live-action series, which will debut in the US on November 12 exclusively on Disney+, the Walt Disney Company’s new streaming service
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order: A brand-new action adventure game from Respawn, releasing November 15

The livestream celebration will feature appearances from Daisy Ridley (Rey), John Boyega (Finn), Oscar Isaac (Poe), Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian), Joonas Suotamo (Chewbacca), Keri Russell (Zorii), Naomi Ackie (Jannah), Kelly Marie Tran (Rose), Pedro Pascal (The Mandalorian), Gina Carano (Cara Dune in The Mandalorian), and Cameron Monaghan (Cal Kestis in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order). Livestream viewers also will be treated to the worldwide premiere of a new trailer for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, along with other special surprises from across the Star Wars galaxy. Warwick Davis, a beloved Star Wars actor known for his role as the Ewok “Wicket” in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, will serve as host during the livestream event at Pinewood Studios, while Anthony Carboni (The Star Wars Show) will helm the recorded product reveals.

https://www.starwars.com/news/triple-force-friday-livestream

New Fallen Order trailer sounds good. Looking forward to the merch reveals too obv 

Edited by Ronnie

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I’m not watching it, any good?? :laughing:

Yeah, it looks great. 

Bums me out that this is arriving next month and yet we have to wait until next year for the service to arrive to our shores. :( 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, it looks great. 

Bums me out that this is arriving next month and yet we have to wait until next year for the service to arrive to our shores. :( 

I'm curious how they're going to handle this. By the time is launches in the UK, all episodes of The Mandalorian will be out in North America yet Disney have been adamant that they want their service to not be about binge watching new content created for the service, hence the weekly releases of episodes. Does that mean they'll still do weekly episode drops when the service comes over here? If so I can imagine that many will find some way to watch it before then as it just wouldn't make sense.

They're being very tight lipped on rolling it out here for whatever reason but you'd think they would start getting things out there so people know what's what.

As for the trailer, it continues to look good but they're similarly keeping a lot back clearly so as to not spoil things. But I just wonder if it'll be more style rather than substance. I'd like to hope not and that there's a good story underneath but only time will tell.

Ok FINE, watched it, you guys happy now! :heh:

Looks great. Big fan of trailers that don't show much, seems to be a running theme with the IX one too. I think with Dave Filloni involved the story-telling should be good. Really liking the look of Gina Carano's character, she seems cool. All the characters do tbh.

I certainly won't be waiting till next year to watch it, sorry Disney. But yeah when it does come over here I imagine it'll be released weekly. There must be some weird licensing deal in place or something that's stopping them from launching Disney+ here.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

There must be some weird licensing deal in place or something that's stopping them from launching Disney+ here.

Yeah, i've read that is the case. A bunch of their content is spread across the likes of Netflix, Sky and Amazon and they need to wait until those deals expire before launching the service over here.

I'll be waiting for it to officially launch over here. I don't dabble with VPNs or torrent sites. Most of my mates have modified Amazon sticks and will be getting a hold of the show ASAP and one of my brothers already does that kinda stuff for movies and other TV shows so I imagine he'll be also watching it as soon as it's out. Gonna be a nightmare avoiding spoilers while I wait. :( 

My issue is that, at least in terms of Star Wars, there are only a few select things which they currently wouldn't have the licenses for — and even then, why not just launch it over here without that content available? Sure, ideally everything would be there on day one, but they're setting a dangerous precedent by not having their modern streaming service available at the same time globally (or, at least, in major territories). 

The Mandalorian is 100% the selling point for Disney+ right now, but not having it available on the same day and date in the UK, one of the largest Star Wars box offices, and especially as a location intertwined with the history of the making of Star Wars?

Cool, the vast majority will turn to VPNs/torrenting, because the series and Disney+ likely won't launch here until February/March at the earliest, and the final episode of the first season airs on December 27th.

My stance on piracy is that I'm against it — where the product is readily available.

But seriously, yikes, Disney really have dropped the ball this time around. And once people start using alternatives to your newly launched service to watch shows exclusive to that service? It's unlikely that many will stop. 

Can easily see this becoming the most pirated show of all time - or, at least, its first season. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

What's annoying is there's still no launch date in the UK, which definitely seems to point to it being a while off, like you say Feb/March at the very earliest, probably later, and they don't want to tell people because that would push even more to pirate it. 

I had no idea that Disney + wasn't launching over here right away, I was banking on them offering a free trial that I could use to watch The Mandalorian. 

I have absolutely no issue with pirating though (especially when it involves a company the size of Disney) so will undoubtedly just turn to that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, killthenet said:

I had no idea that Disney + wasn't launching over here right away, I was banking on them offering a free trial that I could use to watch The Mandalorian. 

I have absolutely no issue with pirating though (especially when it involves a company the size of Disney) so will undoubtedly just turn to that.

Regret that I agree with you on this - especially as virtually nothing is available on streaming services in China. Unless it's an "All-Glory-To-The-Party" historical epic.

But frankly, they can keep those.

Common theory on why it is not releasing here is because of the current distribution rights with Sky, who have their dedicated disney channels and star wars channels. Its theorised that like Disney's contract was with netflix MCU shows, that the contract with Sky will have non compete clauses saying Disney cannot launch a rival service which cannabises Sky's audience. The contract is known to expire next year

I see due to the flop of Season 8 of GOT and Gemini Man, suddenly the D& D produced star wars films aren't happening. Officially they say its to not wear themselves thin between it and the Netflix deal, but that seems a bit of a convenient excuse when the popular thoughts by commentators and speculators alike was they rushed GOT to concentrate on Star Wars - either Disney didn't want the risk given their recent success OR D&D are getting more money from Netflix and are just seeking those dollars

I'm watching through all the mainline films again in preparation for Episode 9 and it's amazing how stark the contrast between the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy is. The terrible writing in 1&2 aside they're just visually so gawdy looking. Everything is too brightly lit and all of the CGI looks like it's missing a shader - as if it's all pre viz stuff that hasn't been replaced yet. Revenge of the Sith is far and away the best of the 3 but its brought down by the same lighting & CGI issues and the badly executed relationship between Anakin & Padme. 

I had totally forgotten how cringeworthy the 'romance' is in Attack of the Clones, it's like George Lucas only did one draft of the script and everyone else involved was too afraid of offending him to tell him how awful it was. There are some really good ideas in the prequel trilogy but they get weighed down by all of the garbage that Lucas introduced. Lore wise nothing grates with me more than the whole immaculate conception/chosen one origin for Anakin. It just isn't interesting to make the allegory to Christianity so glaringly obvious.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I'm watching through all the mainline films again in preparation for Episode 9 and it's amazing how stark the contrast between the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy is. The terrible writing in 1&2 aside they're just visually so gawdy looking. Everything is too brightly lit and all of the CGI looks like it's missing a shader - as if it's all pre viz stuff that hasn't been replaced yet. Revenge of the Sith is far and away the best of the 3 but its brought down by the same lighting & CGI issues and the badly executed relationship between Anakin & Padme. 

I had totally forgotten how cringeworthy the 'romance' is in Attack of the Clones, it's like George Lucas only did one draft of the script and everyone else involved was too afraid of offending him to tell him how awful it was. There are some really good ideas in the prequel trilogy but they get weighed down by all of the garbage that Lucas introduced. Lore wise nothing grates with me more than the whole immaculate conception/chosen one origin for Anakin. It just isn't interesting to make the allegory to Christianity so glaringly obvious.

Episode 2 is hideous. There's no heart to anything in the film. At least there is some degree of spirit in Episode 1. Episode 2 is comfortably the worst Star Wars film in every department. It look tacky in too many places, the script is gross and there's no reason to root for any of the main characters. It's that horrible film in a series that only serves to move a few pieces so that the arc can be completed. You can't skip straight from Episode 1 to 3 because it wouldn't make too much sense, so you are forced to watch Ep2. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I know what you mean about the how gawdy looking the prequels are. It's funny comparing something that was made 20 years ago to something like the Mandalorian and how little it seems to be relying on CG, even two decades later. Episodes 2 and 3 are almost unwatchable to me, just from a visuals pov, never mind the horrendous story-telling, script, pacing...

57 minutes ago, killthenet said:

it's like George Lucas only did one draft of the script and everyone else involved was too afraid of offending him to tell him how awful it was.

He at least had the humility to ask for help in the original trilogy and that's why they turned out so well. For the prequels like you said it's like people were too afraid to argue with him, and those are the result. I do think he has some good ideas though and as much as I love the sequels so far, they're probably missing a bit of the "magic" that Lucas might have offered (in moderation).

20 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Episode 2 is hideous. There's no heart to anything in the film. At least there is some degree of spirit in Episode 1. Episode 2 is comfortably the worst Star Wars film in every department. It look tacky in too many places, the script is gross and there's no reason to root for any of the main characters. It's that horrible film in a series that only serves to move a few pieces so that the arc can be completed. You can't skip straight from Episode 1 to 3 because it wouldn't make too much sense, so you are forced to watch Ep2. 

See I think 3 is the worst of any film. It's just a total mess. They've managed to make the script between Padme and Anakin even worse (remember that awkward as fuck balcony scene where they're taking about how much they love each other?). 

I'll just about be ok to watch 1 again, but 2 and 3 :blank: terrible. The CGI, characters, acting, script, pacing, story-telling, concept, everything.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this