NEurope
Julius

The Disney Thread

14 hours ago, Josh64 said:

I got Toy Story on Bluray, I loved seeing the old CG in HD, checking out some of the lame textures in backdrops, the hideous human hair.

Are there any other examples of early CG on Bluray? I'm guessing they came a long way by Toy Story 2 but I'm tempted to pick up a Bugs Life 

The Pixar shorts collection (which I think was released) will feature even older stuff!

Other than that it's the stuff that pops up as a special effect in a film. Can't remember the film names but one has a stained glass Knight and another has a 3D hand. 

• Thanks 1

I got Toy Story on Bluray, I loved seeing the old CG in HD, checking out some of the lame textures in backdrops, the hideous human hair.
Are there any other examples of early CG on Bluray? I'm guessing they came a long way by Toy Story 2 but I'm tempted to pick up a Bugs Life 
A Bugs Life is beautiful on Blu-ray!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ashley said:

The Pixar shorts collection (which I think was released) will feature even older stuff!

Other than that it's the stuff that pops up as a special effect in a film. Can't remember the film names but one has a stained glass Knight and another has a 3D hand. 

I just read the description for the Pixar Shorts on Amazon - it sounds amazing! Adding to my wish list now! Will nab it on pay day 

Just watched Coco again! It's definitely my favourite Pixar film. I love Toy Story but there's something about this film that I just love!

The next live action Disney film is Lilo & Stitch and no.  Don't.

Actually, it may be one of the few I'm interested in. If it turns out reasonably well.

The watercolour backgrounds are a huge part of what makes that film. Hawaii itself is of course beautiful, but I just feel like it'll lose some of its charm in the process.

The charm was the funny interaction between a cute little girl and a crazy little alien. Obviously you're going to lose the gorgeous visuals with the transition from animation to live-action. But they also obviously feel the need to do that in order to make their franchises still be relevant in this day and age.

I don't care much for their live-action films in general, I liked Cinderella, but that's mostly because of Lily James and the fact that I've never seen the animation before. The only other live-action remake I've seen is Jungle Book, and that was a disaster. I've also never seen the original one either, but I wasn't really into the story anyway.

Lilo & Stitch on the other hand is one of my favourites. If it has even some of the charm of the original, it could be a fun update. 

I'm not literally demanding they don't (my first post was exaggerated internet talk). I get why they are, it's just what I've seen of their live action films so far they tend to lose a lot of the charm and life. There's something oddly flat about them. 

Lilo & Stitch is my favourite Disney film and if this introduces it to more people all the better. 

Although I imagine they'll get a skinny white girl to play Nani. Actually I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and they won't, but I'm sure the idea was floated. 

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

I just feel like it'll lose some of its charm in the process.

I feel like that's true of all of these live-action remakes...

Will be keeping an eye on this one. I have fond memories of Aladdin, no one will ever replace Robin Williams as the Genie but with Will Smith playing the role we may get something good from it. Good to hear a few familiar melodies in there too.

Will be keeping an eye on this one. I have fond memories of Aladdin, no one will ever replace Robin Williams as the Genie but with Will Smith playing the role we may get something good from it. Good to hear a few familiar melodies in there too.
I wish they'd got the guy who played him on Broadway. He was fantastic, but not a very big known name.
  • Thanks 1

I'm still absolutely beaming over this gem. Spotted in HMV a few days ago- Hocus Pocus 25th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray. It comes with an awesome book about the movie, a digital copy and the Blu-ray itself.

Definitely worth the upgrade. I own it on VHS, DVD and now Blu-ray. From DVD to Blu-ray, there's a huge difference. The picture is a lot more crisp and the sound is amazing. I actually compared the two and the DVD version looks a tad grainy.

So yeah, it sits very nicely on my Disney shelf along with my other movies. I have a gap in Pixar waiting for Incredibles 2 in November.

I'm in two worlds though- do I complete the collection and get the rest of the missing films (The Three Callaberos, Black Cauldron, etc) on DVD or do I still wait it out and hope for a Blu-ray release?b87efbd8a47e4eca8f8757cba6b1dc2b.jpg

• Like 1

Here is my Disney collection (excluding VHS). I've been collecting the shiny o-rings over the years and I'm happy to say I only have one left to get, which is Chicken Little. It's such a bitch to find! I'm definitely not collecting Pixar o-rings. It's a pain to collect the Classics and I think getting Pixar would push me over the edge, haha.

The bottom row consists of all Classics, including Dinosaur. I'll be trying to get the classics released in the US as well but because they're not released in the UK, I'll have to buy them online or something. On top of them are the sequels to the classics to live-action classic remakes to 3D to Pixar to Star Wars to DVD (what I will never get in Blu-ray but then Hocus Pocus was just found so...) and on the edge are Marvel films. It's not complete though.

The ones I need to complete are the sequels, 2 Star Wars and I'm really not sure with Marvel, lmaoc72f458227d010fc2310b05c5b7c9f86.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My friend has just shared this with me and now I need to find the nearest Starbucks to try this out!

Calories are thrown out of the window for now! Just hope there's no bits of tongue or a dead man's toe, haha.b85ada1afae6fc0e15f86412cb79820c.jpg

• Haha 1

Thanks to @Animal I'm now sat here watching Hocus Pocus. I noticed it was on Sky and seeing as how he kept mentioning it I figured I would give it a watch. I haven't seen it in YEARS.

The acting by all the kids is very questionable. :D Luckily, Bette Midler's fantastic performance makes up for that. Also, Alison looks weirdly older than Max even though they are supposed to be the same age. Dude is rocking a hairstyle I used to have. I loved my curtains. Man, I miss having hair.  :( 

• Like 2

Thanks to [mention=3591]Animal[/mention] I'm now sat here watching Hocus Pocus. I noticed it was on Sky and seeing as how he kept mentioning it I figured I would give it a watch. I haven't seen it in YEARS.

The acting by all the kids is very questionable.  Luckily, Bette Midler's fantastic performance makes up for that. Also, Alison looks weirdly older than Max even though they are supposed to be the same age. Dude is rocking a hairstyle I used to have. I loved my curtains. Man, I miss having hair.   

Literally near everyone I know has either seen it again or watched it for the first time because I kept banging on about it, haha. I actually watched it last night on Sky Cinema Disney as well, lmao. Everytime it's on TV, I have to watch it. Now I'm watching Aladdin. Another one of my favourites that I always watch if I catch it on TV. Robin Williams is just amazing as the Genie and the songs are catchy af!

I'm glad you came to the same conclusion about Alison. Although I love the sly adult jokes. I always find something new each time I watch it.

I just bought the Descendants boxset for £5 today. I've seen them before and it's a cool take on the Disney villains. There's some Disney Channel musical cheese but that's what makes it charming. I think[mention=355]josh64[/mention] would love it.32e98c0cc4dc243691bb9ef2e39c999b.jpg

• Like 1

I'm here for this Disney greatness! Dumbo looks amazing and I'm loving the rendition of Baby Mine used in the trailer.

Love the Toy Story 4 trailers too and if the release date is right, it's released on the week of my birthday so I'll be massively hinting for IMAX tickets if they're available!

Also, to all the Pop Vinyl collectors, I really want the King Mickey one from Kingdom Hearts. Where can you buy them from? I never see them anywhere and I don't really like buying online. Is there a shop that sells them?

7 hours ago, Animal said:

Also, to all the Pop Vinyl collectors, I really want the King Mickey one from Kingdom Hearts. Where can you buy them from? I never see them anywhere and I don't really like buying online. Is there a shop that sells them?

If you don’t want to go online, your best bet is comic book shops and toy shops. I’ve seen some good selections in some of them. If you do want a decent online shop, Pop in a Box is a great site. 

• Like 1

If you don’t want to go online, your best bet is comic book shops and toy shops. I’ve seen some good selections in some of them. If you do want a decent online shop, Pop in a Box is a great site. 
I don't usually collect them but I wouldn't mind the King Mickey one, seeing as he's 90 as well :)