NEurope
Julius

The Disney Thread

Looks promising! I enjoyed the first one, it was a breath of fresh air in the genre. Hopefully they can add to that with this one. 

On 7/8/2019 at 5:33 AM, MindFreak said:

People are complainging about the lack of Mushu in the trailer. It's odd to leave him out of it, I agree, but I expect the next trailer to include him.

But yeah, it does actually look a like a good movie.

I saw the 2009 Mulan film in Mandarin and I thought that one was okay but this one just look generic and aimed mainly at a western audience. I might give this one a miss.

If anyone is interested in reading - https://www.hypable.com/chinese-mulan-2009-jingle-ma-disney-tips/

Edited by sumo73

I read somewhere that Mushu won't be in this film, being replaced by some Phoenix. No Shang either, no songs at all.

Basically staying more faithful to the "true" Mulan story than the animated film. And slapping "Disney's" at the beginning to fool everyone.

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I read somewhere that Mushu won't be in this film, being replaced by some Phoenix. No Shang either, no songs at all.

Basically staying more faithful to the "true" Mulan story than the animated film. And slapping "Disney's" at the beginning to fool everyone.

Well, if that's the case then this isn't really what we're told it is. Then it's just another Mulan-story which is probably fine.

Why have none of you Disney nerds posted this yet? I was unaware of this until just now. Maybe the only Disney thing I'm looking forward to this year.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:52 PM, Sméagol said:

Why have none of you Disney nerds posted this yet? I was unaware of this until just now. Maybe the only Disney thing I'm looking forward to this year.

I love this loads! Everything about this is great BUT...BUT...I'm not feeling the clip of Elsa's song, "Into the Unknown". Anna's song sounds way better. Regardless, I'm getting no epic song vibes from this but hopefully, I'll be wrong. Aladdin pleasantly surprised me with "Speechless", which I still think should have had much more recognition than it did. That song was unbelievable!

Looks like a decent action-movie. Not quite sure how I feel about all that magic suddenly but fine, it adds some interesting flow to the fighting, I guess.

So uh, this is happening.

Hope it's something original and not Simba's Pride :p

UPDATE: THR reporting it's going to be a prequel. 

Edited by Julius

An original live action Disney film!?

What are they smoking over there?

An original film from ANYONE these day?? Though it's based on an existing property obviously (let's not go too crazy)

I'm always a bit disappointed hearing things are going to be prequels, would have much preferred a sequel

In fairness the original was based on Hamlet anyway. We're long past original at this point, just ask Baudrillard.

I am absolutely happy. 

I thought, what with my experiences of Ralph Breaks the Internet, I would have a right game finding the limited edition o'ring sleeve of Frozen II. Honestly, I could only find it on DVD and I could hardly find it on the Internet but I know that they're usually available when the 2 for £10 Disney DVD deals are on and so was the hunt. 

I searched absolutely everywhere for the past week and couldn't find it. 

For some reason, I decided to go to the Asda I NEVER go to because of traffic on the way home and did my shopping. I thought I'd check the DVD and bluray section and lo and behold, nothing.

However, I saw a smaller blue case behind the Oliver and Company DVD and I picked it up. There it was! Frozen II with the sleeve! I was ecstatic! I still am! It didn't cost me as much as Ralph Breaks the Internet either (that cost me £20) because I scanned it and it scanned as the DVD version!! (which was £6)

fd86306c-0fc5-447d-985b-df5a57300207.jpg

Absolutely buzzing! Guess I'll be going back there next time on the off-chance I'll get another o'ring when the next Disney Classic is released. For now though, my collection is entirely complete! 

Edited by Beast
  • Like 3

First trailer for Raya and the Last Dragon:

Long ago, in the fantasy world of Kumandra, humans and dragons lived together in harmony. But when an evil force threatened the land, the dragons sacrificed themselves to save humanity.

Now, 500 years later, that same evil has returned and it’s up to a lone warrior, Raya, to track down the legendary last dragon to restore the fractured land and its divided people. However, along her journey, she’ll learn that it’ll take more than a dragon to save the world—it’s going to take trust and teamwork as well.

From directors Don Hall and Carlos López Estrada, co-directors Paul Briggs and John Ripa, producers Osnat Shurer and Peter Del Vecho, and featuring the voices of Kelly Marie Tran as Raya and Awkwafina as the last dragon Sisu, Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Raya and the Last Dragon” opens in U.S. theaters on March 2021.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Julius said:

First trailer for Raya and the Last Dragon:

This looks awesome. I’m getting an Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra feel from this. The costumes on Raya, the colours, has that feel to it. 

• Like 2

I was just going to say that the synopsis sounds like Avatar. Swap Dragon for airbender, and it's the same story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

This looks awesome. I’m getting an Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra feel from this. The costumes on Raya, the colours, has that feel to it. 

Yeah, 100%. As @bob mentions, that description too...very, very close to that TLA intro we hear from Katara. Tuk-Tuk or whatever his name is seems a dead ringer for Appa, voice/interactions/appearance definitely seem Korra-esque, and the whole vibe seems to be going in that direction. 

Not necessarily a bad thing, of course, but hope it's not as predictable as the trailer and description at least make it sound!

• Like 1

Hey now, that armadillo is Momo and Appa... rolled into one.

*ahem* The movie looks pretty good. Comparisons to Avatar are inevitable, considering the setting, but I figure the similarities will stick to setting and synopsis. It looks like the focus will stick to this draconic main character (so expect more similarities to How to Train Your Dragon, I guess?).

Honestly, I'm just glad to see the Disney Animation Studio produce something that looks worthy of their pedigree. Frozen 2 left me apprehensive regarding their future, but this looks like the kind of stuff I want them to make.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jonnas said:

(so expect more similarities to How to Train Your Dragon, I guess?).

This is what I had originally in mind before I watch the trailer. I thought didn’t Dreamworks already do this. 

10 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Hey now, that armadillo is Momo and Appa... rolled into one.

Precisely that’s the perfect description of him. Which is not a bad thing at all. Two of the best supporting characters around. Even the name reminds me of LoK and I think it was the name Bolin was given in the “Movers” I’m sure it was very similar. 
But in all honesty if they are taking ideas from one of the, if not the best animated show ever then I won’t complain. 

I haven't seen The Last Airbender, but the trailer for this seems to set up an interesting movie. So... Disnye+ or cinemas? :D 

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

Precisely that’s the perfect description of him. Which is not a bad thing at all. Two of the best supporting characters around. Even the name reminds me of LoK and I think it was the name Bolin was given in the “Movers” I’m sure it was very similar. 

Yep, super similar to Nuktuk, Hero of the South!

3659bfff9c9761ece614f9ca311ba2f188ac3866

All this talk about TLA/LoK honestly just makes me wish someone would put some money behind more animated Avatar projects. Would much prefer to see an animated series dedicated to Kyoshi or any other corner of the Avatar universe, and heck, if you want to do a live-action film/series, I'd much prefer they had it be about Roku or Wan. 

But in all honesty if they are taking ideas from one of the, if not the best animated show ever then I won’t complain.

But back to Raya, yeah, I'd be super surprised if the Pixar team hasn't watched at least TLA. Intentional or not, it's a great thing to draw inspiration from!

And yeah, hands down The Last Airbender is the best animated series in the west for me, and at the very least on par with my favourite anime. I watched it all the way through for the 6th or 7th time the other month (lost track!), and it's crazy that it's even more relevant to me now a few years into adulthood than it was in my childhood. I always seem to watch Korea when I'm going through a rough patch too, which is always interesting! :p

34 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

So... Disnye+ or cinemas? :D 

Well they're saying cinemas, but whether or not that pans out, I guess we'll have to wait and see a bit closer to March. Considering that they've already got Souls coming to Disney+ on Christmas (at no additional cost, thank goodness after the whole Mulan thing!), I'd be very surprised if things have changed enough for them to warrant not having it release on Disney+ over cinemas. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Julius said:

I'd be super surprised if the Pixar team hasn't watched at least TLA. Intentional or not, it's a great thing to draw inspiration from!

Reminder that this isn't Pixar, this is Disney's main animation team, responsible for the likes of Frozen, Moana/Vaiana, and Tangled. When they hit it, they hit it, so I'm looking forward to the end result.

(Pixar's doing Soul, which I'm also quite excited about)

10 hours ago, Julius said:

I always seem to watch Korea when I'm going through a rough patch too, which is always interesting! :p

200925-north-korea-apology-mc-923_5008d5

(I do love a good typo)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Reminder that this isn't Pixar, this is Disney's main animation team, responsible for the likes of Frozen, Moana/Vaiana, and Tangled. When they hit it, they hit it, so I'm looking forward to the end result.

(Pixar's doing Soul, which I'm also quite excited about)

Yeah that's my bad, I already knew it was Disney Animation too! And agreed, was pleasantly surprised just how much I enjoyed Moana when that came out. 

While I'm looking forward to Soul, Pixar has steadily descended from this mythical, almost untouchable studio from my childhood to a bit of a lesser one over the last half a decade or so (there's no question in my mind now that I would probably consider Ghibli the most consistent animation studio overall when it comes to just how much I enjoy their films, whereas before it was definitely Pixar). 

On the other hand, Disney Animation proper has only been in the rise in that time, and I feel like that's got a lot to do with Lasseter moving over in the mid-2000's and helping them adjust to 3D. 

Still, would really love to see Disney take another swing at 2D animation one of these days! 

(I do love a good typo)

I swear swipe-to-text is going to be responsible for a war at some point :laughing:

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1