NEurope
Julius

The Disney Thread

Greetings all; I have opened this thread so we have one set location to talk almost all things Disney, whether it be the films (live-action, animated or Pixar), theme parks and attractions, business, general appreciation or just about anything else that might come under this banner (Star Wars and Marvel have their own threads already, which is why I've specified Pixar films in particular here). 

My main reason for opening this thread right now is because A LOT of Disney-related news is dropping this weekend during the D23 Expo over in Anaheim, and with plenty more news and films to come in the coming months and years, I figured that it would save a lot of searching for threads to have this all discussed in one place. I have hidden the previous Disney•Pixar thread accordingly.

Note: I'll be sure to update this post later to be more thread-introduction-friendly :)

• Like 1

First A Wrinkle in Time trailer:

First look at Mary Poppins Returns:

Edited by Julius Caesar

Not a fan of all of these live action remakes that seem to be popping up. Do we really need a live action Lion King?

2 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Not a fan of all of these live action remakes that seem to be popping up. Do we really need a live action Lion King?

I'm not the biggest fan of this either, though apparently the Lion King footage shown at D23 (the opening Circle Of Life scene) was astounding.

Personally, I don't think I'll be against them doing these live-action remakes unless one is terrible, or a remake is chosen over a potential new IP/sequel, etc. 

So, the cast for the Lion King has been announced.

DNlKep1XcAA0d9e.jpg

It's also confirmed as Hans Zimmer is doing the score for the film.

• Like 2

I am totally for this thread! My Disney Blu-ray collection is forever growing! I own all of the numbered classics released in the UK, I have a couple to get that are US-only releases (for some stupid reason), I have all of the live-action remakes or re-tellings and all of the Pixar (except for Cars 3) but I just have a few of the normal films to get.

I recently got my hands on the 50th anniversary edition of Mary Poppins. I really didn't realise how bad Dick Van Dyke's accent was!

Also, I'm going to probably be minority here but I'm all for the live-action remakes. I've loved every single one so far and The Lion King, with that cast and the crew and composer behind it, I'm sure, won't disappoint me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Be Prepared won't be in the live action version of the Lion King.
http://comicbook.com/movies/2018/02/18/the-lion-king-reboot-soundtrack-elton-john-beyonce/
I'm not happy with that at all. It's easily one of the best villain songs in a Disney film.  
It looks like it'll be similar to The Jungle Book where they only put in the bare minimum songs.

Apparently they're only having 4 in Lion King (compared to 2 in JB), so it's not surprising that Be Prepared didn't make the cut.

1 hour ago, bob said:

It looks like it'll be similar to The Jungle Book where they only put in the bare minimum songs.

Apparently they're only having 4 in Lion King (compared to 2 in JB), so it's not surprising that Be Prepared didn't make the cut.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Be Prepared won't be in the live action version of the Lion King.
http://comicbook.com/movies/2018/02/18/the-lion-king-reboot-soundtrack-elton-john-beyonce/
I'm not happy with that at all. It's easily one of the best villain songs in a Disney film.  
OH HELL TO THE NAW! WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT?! Disney, I love you but fix up! Be Prepared is one of my gym anthems and I needed a 2019 version in my life! UGH!

If Hakuna Matata doesn't make it in the cut, I'm rioting!

On the bright side, Wreck it Ralph looks awesome!

• Like 1

The new Mary Poppins trailer. It looks pretty cool. I like the fact that it's a sequel too!

I'm loving the idea that they used the teddy and not made an actual CGI of the animation. This looks interesting!

Loved the trailer and just hearing the voice of Pooh took me back. I know nothing about it either but it looks like one I’ll be watching. 

I finally sat and watched the live action version of Beauty and the Beast last night. Awful film. Most of the sets look really cheap and fake, Emma Watson continues to be a shoddy actress ( Anne Hathaway should have been Belle, at least she can sing ), hated the people in the castle, the new songs were pretty flat and a lot of the old ones just sounded wrong, the story of Belle's mother felt tacked on....yeah, I didn't like it.

The only positives were the performance of Luke Evans and Josh Gad. Luke played a great Gaston and really hammed it up nicely.

The original cartoon film is one of my favourite Disney movies. It's full of charm, humour and the way you see the Beast and Belle come together felt more natural in that version. In this it seemed rushed and disjointed. The people in the castle just lacked any kind of charm compared to the animated version, which is sad because those cast of characters are a big part of the film.

I've waited so long to watch this because I feared I would dislike it and sure enough I did. I enjoyed the Jungle Book and I love the take on the Sleeping Beauty story that was done in Maleficent but this just didn't work for me. Kinda makes me fear for the Lion King, Aladdin and Mulan. Those are 3 other of my top tier Disney films and I can see them being butchered or changed in ways that wont please me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I finally sat and watched the live action version of Beauty and the Beast last night. Awful film. Most of the sets look really cheap and fake, Emma Watson continues to be a shoddy actress ( Anne Hathaway should have been Belle, at least she can sing ), hated the people in the castle, the new songs were pretty flat and a lot of the old ones just sounded wrong, the story of Belle's mother felt tacked on....yeah, I didn't like it.

The only positives were the performance of Luke Evans and Josh Gad. Luke played a great Gaston and really hammed it up nicely.

The original cartoon film is one of my favourite Disney movies. It's full of charm, humour and the way you see the Beast and Belle come together felt more natural in that version. In this it seemed rushed and disjointed. The people in the castle just lacked any kind of charm compared to the animated version, which is sad because those cast of characters are a big part of the film.

I've waited so long to watch this because I feared I would dislike it and sure enough I did. I enjoyed the Jungle Book and I love the take on the Sleeping Beauty story that was done in Maleficent but this just didn't work for me. Kinda makes me fear for the Lion King, Aladdin and Mulan. Those are 3 other of my top tier Disney films and I can see them being butchered or changed in ways that wont please me.

I absolutely loved it. I understand what you're saying though. The original oozed charm and...well...beauty. I did love this too though and I've seen it a lot of times but it's definitely not like the animated version. I don't understand the hate with Emma Watson though, I thought she played a brilliant Belle myself. Anne Hathaway would definitely be a great alternative. I also fell in love with Evermore though and would've loved to have seen that in the animated film. The thing I would've changed would have been Days in the Sun. It's a great song but Human Again was way better and definitely would've suited the film a little more.

I definitely have high hopes for Aladdin and The Lion King. The casting is near perfect. I'm looking forward to hearing the soundtracks to them but if it's true about no Be Prepared...WTF! One of (if not THE) best Disney villain song ever!...in saying that, Hellfire from The Hunchback of Notre Dame may take that. 

Guys, best Disney villain song?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Animal said:

Guys, best Disney villain song?

Be Prepared is my fav villain song. A close second is Poor Unfortunate Souls, with Friends on the Other Side being third.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The ending was brilliant: "Where you going ASAP? You better be BACK ASAP!"

Glad to see Frozone and his wife are still together. It would be great to see her as a superhero too or just as a character!