NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

SNES Classic Mini

NOE boasting that 60hz loud and proud makes me very happy!

How far we've come! :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So '90s.. I love it :love:

I'm still not feeling desire for the system, though.. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dcubed said:

NOE boasting that 60hz loud and proud makes me very happy!

How far we've come! :D

We're still gonna get Paper Mario at 50hz though. Good thing Switch is region free, huh?

Nintendo Life have written a decent article about how the SNES Mini preorder situation in the US has been an absolute mess..

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/08/soapbox_the_snes_classic_edition_pre-order_farce_proves_nintendo_hasnt_learned_a_thing

It's crazy that Nintendo haven't sorted this situation out. The way that ThinkGeek are making bundles out of their stock is flat out disgusting and I do think it's Nintendo who needs to step and and call out such practices. 

Many fans over in the US are once again going to have to either pay scalper prices or try their luck on launch day with various retailers.

A few people have suggested an easy way to sort this situation out is to simply make the first wave available to My Nintendo customers and make it 1 order per person. You would use the My Nintendo system to place your preorder, pay up front for it, and then receive it when it is released. This would help Nintendo in showing how much stock is initially needed ( providing they do it months in advance), get people to sign up to their system and stop scalpers/bots buying multiple units.

• Like 4

An online manual for Starfox 2 has just been posted... well... online! 

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/starfox2/html/USen/index.html

Also comes with various original design documents, unaltered, that were written partway through its original development! :D 

Spoiler

I think they got Star Wolf and Pigma's descriptions mixed up :laughing: 

Plus an interview with some of the original SF2 staff! (Japanese only for now sadly... Hopefully they release an English translation!)

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/9214cd6a-758b-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

Edited by Dcubed

Super Play is back!

original.jpg

The rumour is true: Super Play is back! 

Issue 172 of Retro Gamer will be packaged with a 52-page special edition of the Super Nintendo magazine to celebrate the forthcoming launch of Nintendo's SNES Classic Mini hardware. 

This one-off edition has been produced by original Super Play staff including Jason Brookes, Jonathan Davies, Tony Mott and Zy Nicholson, along with the Retro Gamer team and a band of seasoned Nintendo experts including Nathan Brown (Edge), Mark Green (NGamer), Keza MacDonald (Kotaku), Damien McFerran (Nintendo Life), Jeremy Parish (Retronauts) and Chris Schilling (Edge, Eurogamer). As art editor, Warren Brown (senior art ed of Future's videogame division) has resurrected Super Play's visual style to ensure it will be immediately familiar to fans of the '90s magazine.

Crucially, the new issue's cover is illustrated by Wil Overton, the artist behind every cover of Super Play's original 47-issue run. 

Features include:

- New reviews of 20 SNES games featured on the Mini console, alongside a cover story focused on Star Fox 2, including an exclusive interview with Dylan Cuthbert, one of the key developers behind the game
- The opportunity to win the original Wil Overton artwork used for Super Play's Secret Of Mana cover (issue 25), hand-painted on celluloid and signed by the artist.
- More prizes to win, including a SNES Mini console, the Contra III soundtrack on vinyl, Super Famicom: The Box Art Collection, and more.
- Plus: Super Play's SNES Mini hands-on test, Helen McCarthy's Anime World, What Cart?, import reviews, Fanhunter, the origins of the SNES and Super Play, and... some unfortunate news about Neko.

I need to nab a copy of this. What a blast from the past.

• Like 4

Holy crap!!! That's amazing!!  What an awesome way to celebrate the SNES Mini launch! :D

How surreal is that to see Star Fox 2 on the cover and all!? And what better place for an actual review of an actual new SNES game?

I love how it's just a direct continuation and all, like nothing happened in-between! Fits in seamlessly! :D

Defo nabbing that for sure!

Edited by Dcubed

I used to fucking love Super Play!! I still have that issue 1!

Definitely grabbing this! Where will it be available?

1 minute ago, dazzybee said:

I used to fucking love Super Play!! I still have that issue 1!

Definitely grabbing this! Where will it be available?

Retro Gamer is published nationwide, so any good book or magazine store really (I know that WH Smiths stock it).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Looks like I'll be popping into WH Smiths in a weeks time then. :)

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 10:14 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Super Play is back!

original.jpg

I need to nab a copy of this. What a blast from the past.

That is so awesome!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

That is so awesome!

You're gonna have to update your avatar now ;)

• Like 1

Nintendo are promising a lot more stock. Also, the NES Classic Mini is getting restocked

So after than the initial messing about trying out various games, what's everyone planning on playing through first properly? I'm think I'm gonna finally try and complete Zelda. I've left it for far too long, despite owning the cart and at least twice on virtual consoles.

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

So after than the initial messing about trying out various games, what's everyone planning on playing through first properly? I'm think I'm gonna finally try and complete Zelda. I've left it for far too long, despite owning the cart and at least twice on virtual consoles.

It took me a few attempts to finally make it through A Link to the Past over the years, always expecting to see it for the masterpiece it supposedly is, but I never enjoyed it as much as I hoped and was continually frustrated throughout. I don't expect to be playing it again any time soon!

In fact, I feel like I've played many of these games recently and have no real urge to return right away so the SNES Classic Mini is probably coming at the wrong time for me so it may be a case of picking one of the few games I haven't been through yet such as Super Mario RPG :smile:

25 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Starfox 1 & 2. I'll probably follow this up with FF6 and Secret of Mana.

The rest of the games I've played through many times before but those I've listed I only played when I had a SNES (Starwing), only finished the once (FF6), never finished (Mana) or never played at all (Starfox 2).

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Starfox 1 & 2. I'll probably follow this up with FF6 and Secret of Mana.

The rest of the games I've played through many times before but those I've listed I only played when I had a SNES (Starwing), only finished the once (FF6), never finished (Mana) or never played at all (Starfox 2).

Those games are certainly on my radar too as I've never played Secret of Mana or a traditional Final Fantasy but I just can't see where I'm going to find the time right now to squeeze anything in ::shrug:

The SNES Classic Mini doesn't even get a free run next weekened as FIFA 18 releases on Switch on the same day and I expect to be playing that most of the evening, hopefully with my brother :smile: I'm still playing Metroid: Samus Returns, Splatoon 2, ARMS and Resident Evil VII.. plus hoping to get back into Grandia II on Dreamcast now that I've got everything set up in my new house.

If it wasn't for Starfox 2, I'm not sure I'd even be buying it despite how many great games are on there!

I'll be playing through Starfox, Starfox 2 , Super Mario Kart and Street Fighter to begin with (probably in that order) but have never played Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6, Super Mario RPG or Secret Of Mana but will be spreading them out over the course of a few months because they're intensive RPG's. Will play Kirby's Super Star pretty early on too and Super Castlevania IV when I've played through the 3rd one on Wii U VC. With the Switch release schedule too the rest of my year is looking pretty full for gaming.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Final Fantasy 6, I've been itching to play through it again, but I've been holding it off ever since the game list got revealed.

I'll probably attempt Secret of Mana for the fourth bloody time. All three times have involved me running into a different Game-Ending bug and my save file going ka-put. Then I'll play through some quick SNES games like Mario World, Kirby Super Star and Super Metroid.

I suppose I'll have to play Starwing just to unlock Starfox 2. But I don't like Starwing, so I don't think Starfox 2 is going to be one I play a lot. I'll try it just for the sheer historic value. I've never played Mega Man X and I've heard loads of praise for it on the Gaming Diary Thread, so looking forward to that. Also, have never played Contra III, but will probably play that on @Dcubed's SNES Mini with him. The WiiWare one was surprisingly fun, especially in co-op. Let's attack aggressively!

Seeing as we're listing games we're planning on trying first, how about we also flip it around? What games are you absolutely sure you're not going to play?

For me it's...

Super Mario Kart (Later Mario Karts have ruined the awkward controls, plus single player is boring and frustrating)

F-Zero (My least favourite F-Zero game, and I don't even like F-Zero that much)

Super Ghouls N' Ghosts, (Yeaaaahhhh, no. Not touching that with a barge pole, I'd like to not spend the rest of my life finishing that game... twice. Would have preferred Demon's Crest, way better.)

Street Fighter II Turbo (Just not huge on Street Fighter, I'd rather play Smash as Ryu)

Super Punch-Out!! (I appreciate the game, but it's not as fun as the original or the amazing Wii version)

Edited by Glen-i

Sign in to follow this