NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

SNES Classic Mini

It took no less than three hours - on and off - to secure a pre-order with Grainger Games who I'm not convinced will honour the pre-order either, so I've got one with them, one with GAME (who I don't trust but who knows?) and the one which I've paid over the odds with on eBay out of sheer panic... :blank: so that's the only really guaranteed one.

I'll keep you posted though, if I end up with more than the one SNES mini I overpaid for and if I can help anyone out on here then I will but as I've said, I don't have much faith in Grainger or GAME but, desperate times. ::shrug:

I'm glad to have definitely secured one though even if it is at extra cost as this is most certainly going to be featured on the site when it eventually releases. :D

Though I do hope Nintendo can allocate some extra stock by then because as nice as it will be to write an article about such a neat little device, it won't be good if everyone who wanted one can't get one for a reasonable price. :(

Just a heads up @S.C.G that Grainger Games take the money from your account straight away so your account will be a little lighter. I don't know if it's just a temporary thing like I've had with ShopTo in the past or if it's the proper payment.

18 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Just a heads up @S.C.G that Grainger Games take the money from your account straight away so your account will be a little lighter. I don't know if it's just a temporary thing like I've had with ShopTo in the past or if it's the proper payment.

Thanks :) I had a feeling that might be the case so I've put it on the card for now. (it is going to be an expensive month)

With that said though, after taking the money I really hope these places will deliver, it'd be annoying to say the least to have paid, then wait three months only to be refunded. :blank:

Hopefully that's not the case though, I hope that everyone manages to get their pre-orders and that there's enough to go around one way or another. :D

Does anyone else find these 'limited edition so ordering is a nightmare' kind of items are a turn off. I just can't be bothered to even try. It's why I never got round to getting a wool Yoshi amiibo. I know it ultimately became accessible, but the initial release was such a goose chase I didn't bother.

Maybe I'm just lazy 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

It's definitely not an ideal situation, this has been happening for so long now that it seems to have become a perilous business model for Nintendo.

First it was the amiibo, then the NES Classic, then the amiibo again, plus various Special Edition games and now the SNES Classic.

With something like this that has such a monumental release attached to it, I would have hoped that there would be greater stock levels so that more people could finally get to play StarFox 2.

But now that I've seen just how quickly the pre-orders have sold out, Nintendo could have had five times the amount of stock and I'm still not convinced that it would have been enough.

I think for something like this, it's worth going through the trouble of trying to secure a pre-order, or even paying slightly over the odds before the price rockets even more, even though I don't like that idea but for some of the other hard to get items I can understand why it doesn't feel worth the hassle.

• Like 1

I kinda liked it in the early Wii U days, running around to different shops trying to get my hands on certain amiibo, or games that only had 1 in stock, or the freakin' Wii Mini.

But after a while I noticed I enjoyed buying the stuff more than actually using it. The more I thought "would I want to buy this if it was available everywhere all the time?" the more I realised I was just burning loads of money for no reason.

So yeah, I just buy stuff if I really want it now and if I can't find it then I think whatever, I'll leave it for now. Which means I may never own a Nintendo product again :p 

• Like 1

Missed the pre-order yesterday, was gutted. Got an email today saying pre-orders were open, so I pre-ordered. Done.

I know others are finding it more challenging, and I feel bad, but I don't think it's that much hassle really. It's just patience that's needed. They'll be back in stock at various points between now and September.

15 hours ago, will' said:

I'm not sure it would even be legal for Nintendo to dictate how retailers handle their stock. Granted it's been a while since I worked with retail but I'm pretty sure you have to just sell them the stock and let them get on with it.

My suggestion was that with this one, very limited edition product, they should only sell it through their website. I never mentioned restricting retailers.

I'm not sure how it happened as the website didn't seem to be working and it never even indicated that I was logged in or that anything I was clicking was registering but I got an email from ShopTo saying I secured a preorder on Monday.

I don't really know what to do about payment, though, as both ShopTo and Smyths lack a way for me to easily change billing/delivery address.. and we're moving house next month :blank:

It sounds like such a simple thing but the way it has manifested means that sorting out one problem is likely to result in killing the other order.. and I have no idea which one is more likely to be successful!

2 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I'm not sure how it happened as the website didn't seem to be working and it never even indicated that I was logged in or that anything I was clicking was registering but I got an email from ShopTo saying I secured a preorder on Monday.

I don't really know what to do about payment, though, as both ShopTo and Smyths lack a way for me to easily change billing/delivery address.. and we're moving house next month :blank:

It sounds like such a simple thing but the way it has manifested means that sorting out one problem is likely to result in killing the other order.. and I have no idea which one is more likely to be successful!

I cant say about billing address for ShopTo but their delivery address should be changeable in your account settings somewhere. For some reason they dont allow you to change delivery addresses in actual order settings and make you change it so all orders can only fall under one address. Always annoying when I used to have multiple preorders and had to change the address after one had been delivered if I wanted the next one to go to work and not home.

35 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Just contact Smyths with their contact form and change the delivery address? Have it changed to a family member or something if you don't know what your next address will be.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I cant say about billing address for ShopTo but their delivery address should be changeable in your account settings somewhere. For some reason they dont allow you to change delivery addresses in actual order settings and make you change it so all orders can only fall under one address. Always annoying when I used to have multiple preorders and had to change the address after one had been delivered if I wanted the next one to go to work and not home.

I need to add my current card to make payment so I'm waiting until I move before adding those details. ShopTo will only deliver to my billing address, for whatever reason, which probably wouldn't be a problem but......

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Just contact Smyths with their contact form and change the delivery address? Have it changed to a family member or something if you don't know what your next address will be.

.....I'm collecting it from a local Smyths store and my billing address is my current house. There's nowhere I can change this as the card information wasn't stored when I preordered so if I change my address with the bank I'm almost certainly going to kill the chances of that payment being taken and, therefore, my order. I'll try to contact them about the move to see what can be done, though.

Smyths are currently taking pre-orders if you opt for the Click & Collect option. Just pre-ordered mine and they have a price promise guarantee, plus no payment is taken until you've picked it up:

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/retro-gaming/nintendo-classic-mini-super-nintendo-entertainment-system/p/161624

I actually don't even want it that much but seeing all the hype I can always keep it as a collector's item.

@S.C.G I've been combing through the Grainger Games twitter feed and as of about 12:00 this afternoon they apparently still had pre-order stock left so if like me you got a confirmation email yesterday you should be alright to get one from them. Obviously I'm still cautious and waiting confirmation from them but I definitely feel more confident about getting one for my brother now. 

• Like 1

Been away for the week so not been able to post

But woo, so hyped. Star Fox 2 is something I never hunted down and played through nefarious means so I am so looking forward to playing it now.

Plus it has fucking Secret of Mana

3 minutes ago, Serebii said:

Been away for the week so not been able to post

But woo, so hyped. Star Fox 2 is something I never hunted down and played through nefarious means so I am so looking forward to playing it now.

Plus it has fucking Secret of Mana

It's a really good list of games :hehe:

While I may not have much interest in playing A Link to the Past again, I've never played Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy or, obviously, Starfox 2. I've also never experienced the SNES version of Yoshi's Island!

I want all of this on Switch but you can never play through Donkey Kong Country or Super Mario World too many times :grin:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nekunando said:

It's a really good list of games :hehe:

While I may not have much interest in playing A Link to the Past again, I've never played Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy or, obviously, Starfox 2. I've also never experienced the SNES version of Yoshi's Island!

I want all of this on Switch but you can never play through Donkey Kong Country or Super Mario World too many times :grin:

The NES Mini was filled with games that you'd play once and probably not play again, but the SNES Mini has such a range of content that you can just spend hours on. I am so hyped.

Got my pre-order in on NUK. Also have my GAME one but I may be a dick and scalp that if my friend doesn't want it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Serebii said:

The NES Mini was filled with games that you'd play once and probably not play again, but the SNES Mini has such a range of content that you can just spend hours on. I am so hyped.

Got my pre-order in on NUK. Also have my GAME one but I may be a dick and scalp that if my friend doesn't want it.

I wish I'd bought the NES Classic to compliment my game collection as it's the only home Nintendo console I don't own in it's original form. I wouldn't really want to play much on it but it would have been nice to have!

The SNES Classic feels different in that it is filled with games I adore but I have access to those in several places already, for the most part. The games are so good, though, and the device so desirable that I can't miss out on it.

I may even use it to introduce my son to games, just as I was introduced through the SNES in the early 90s :smile:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Serebii said:

Yeah this is a great way of putting it and is why I ordered a snes mini. I can see myself actually playing through most of the games on the list, if not all of them.

My only gripe is that we can't add more games to the list with some kind of basic access to a snes game only eshop. Also, i could have done with Mario all Stars and Chrono Trigger on the thing 

Just sifted through a loose translation of the Q and A session, one bit stuck out from Yamato saying "Classic mini series is another form of VC" when asked about VC services coming.

...I think. Might need that translation confirming!

58 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Just sifted through a loose translation of the Q and A session, one bit stuck out from Yamato saying "Classic mini series is another form of VC" when asked about VC services coming.

...I think. Might need that translation confirming!

I'd be very surprised if we don't get a N64 mini next year

I just ordered with Argos for £69.99 so may cancel my ShopTo order. The fact that I could pay straight away and deliver it to my parent's house means I don't have to worry about any problems with billing address after I move :smile:

Hopefully the order will be confirmed later today!

• Like 3

Got a preorder with Shopto...anyone know how reliable they are?

20 minutes ago, ipaul said:

Got a preorder with Shopto...anyone know how reliable they are?

Reliable for what? :p you say that as if they're not one of the biggest online games retailer in the UK. They're perfectly reliable, although they might not get you your stuff before streetdate like they used to.

I managed to get an order in at Argos.  I'm not 100% convinced they'll fulfil it, even if they have already taken the money, as I think they might have over sold it.  So I'm still looking for elsewhere to order from.

7 hours ago, Serebii said:

I'd be very surprised if we don't get a N64 mini next year

I'd be a little surprised to see an N64 next year.  The N64 is still quite awkward to emulate and I'm guessing that the SNES mini is actually identical in terms of specs to the NES mini but running a different emulator.  Plus, if they follow the same pattern as the NES and SNES, they wouldn't be able to make a N64 controller which had rumble using the Wii expansion port.

Sign in to follow this