NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

SNES Classic Mini

5 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Nintendo doesn't seem to have learned a thing.

Edited by Ronnie

I still sort of agree with Jimbob. It's not about too little stock (they stated it's meant to be a limited edition item), it's about allowing third party retailers to sell as many as they like to whoever they like, meaning loads of people immediately bought 20 just to make a profit and screwing over the real fans.

They should've just only sold it themselves.

• Like 2

Nintendo can't seem to win.

There'd be uproar from retailers if Nintendo were keeping all stock to themselves.

The onus should be on the retailers to limit it to 1 per customer, if they don't want to do that then people's anger should be directed towards them.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Oh no, not uproar from retailers. Wouldn't want to upset those poor companies... What are they going to do about it, refuse to sell Nintendo products in the future?

The responsibility to fans lies with Nintendo, not retailers.

Just now, Happenstance said:

Was it the Nintendo store that had the issues on release day with the Switch?

Yes it had a meltdown with order tracking etc, although the majority of systems were delivered on time I think, including mine. I pretty much swore against using them again at the time however this is a very limited item that can wait so I'm not too bothered.

4 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Oh no, not uproar from retailers. Wouldn't want to upset those poor companies... What are they going to do about it, refuse to sell Nintendo products in the future?

Errr... yes? Ever wondered why console manufacturers don't tend to sell digital games from their eshop cheaper than RRP? It's so as to not piss of the retailers, keep them onside and get them to promote their stuff as much as possible.

The responsibility to fans lies with Nintendo, not retailers.

And they're doing as much as they can, by limiting supply to 1 per customer, just as they always do with sought-after products.

Edited by Ronnie

45 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Just preordered one!

Anyone know if the Nintendo store take money immediately for preorders?

They charge when it ships, except if you use PayPal, I think.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Errr... yes? Ever wondered why console manufacturers don't tend to sell digital games from their eshop cheaper than RRP? It's so as to not piss of the retailers, keep them onside and get them to promote their stuff as much as possible.

There's a big difference between a huge range of digital games with a literally limitless supply, and a single limited run, special edition item. Nintendo used to give away items via the Stars Catalogue, did that mean that GAME refused to stock the Wii?

Shit, me and my brother missed the email and didn't find out until they were all gone. Does anyone have a duplicate pre order they can hook me up with somehow? I got one in on Shopto yesterday but my brother doesn't have one and I'll be gutted if he can't get one

41 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Actually, this is almost exactly what ASDA did for a while - not quite sure what the cause was, though; from a few years back until the recent launch of the Switch, perhaps a little earlier, with the majority of Nintendo products, including 3DS games and Wii U games - possibly excluding amiibo, but I'm not certain about this - not being sold by them. 

Not sure if it was nationwide or just specific stores, but I had into certain Nintendo games at ASDA during this time and it was very clear, from the website to the store: we sell PlayStation and Xbox products, but not Nintendo's. 

Weird stance, especially considering the success of the 3DS family, and I have my doubts as to whether or not it was because of the Wii U's failure (in terms of sheer numbers of hardware sold alone). 

I 100% agree that there are alternatives, and I do feel that having the item be 1 per customer would absolutely make sense, but it's the retailer's prerogative beyond Nintendo's shipments as to whether this should be enforced. If the item were to become exclusive to a select group of retailers then it might be doable, but then again, this could ostracise a fair share of potential buyers simply because of its unavailability to them, whether that be a premeditated or impulse purchase. 

Pre-orders could, and perhaps should, be limited to 1 per customer, but as myself and others have mentioned, that doesn't limit the number of retailers with which one can pre-order.

It's a tricky fine line, but I'm an optimist over this if we're comparing it to the NES Mini: I think everyone who desires to have an SNES Mini will, so long as they keep their ears to the ground, be able to get their hands on one. Whether or not that's on September 29th is another matter entirely.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shorty said:

There's a big difference between a huge range of digital games with a literally limitless supply, and a single limited run, special edition item. Nintendo used to give away items via the Stars Catalogue, did that mean that GAME refused to stock the Wii?

I'm not sure it would even be legal for Nintendo to dictate how retailers handle their stock. Granted it's been a while since I worked with retail but I'm pretty sure you have to just sell them the stock and let them get on with it.

I can't believe it, went away from the PC probably minutes after it went live. :blank:

Oh well, it has cost me, yep I've gone straight for the eBay route, before the prices go up even more, I need one and at least this should mean I definitely have one secured as I don't trust that GAME pre-order one bit. ::shrug:

Nintendo could have comfortably listed this for £89.99 as it would still have sold out.

1 minute ago, V. Amoleo said:

Amazon apparently had more stock in at 4:15pm but they went very fast.

I wonder if they let cancellations build up a bit before they put it back as allocated stock.

Yeah, I know I'm late, but I have to say that's a pretty amazing line-up. When my biggest complaint is that they chose the least good Donkey Kong Country, you know it's great. I suppose they could have chosen Chrono Trigger over Secret of Mana, but I think they wanted more multiplayer games.

Edited by Glen-i

It took me about an hour with all the crashes on their site but I managed to get an order in for one on Grainger Games. Not 100% convinced yet that it will be honoured though as the site obviously had a lot of issues with so many people trying to buy one from there, so will keep checking other places until I hear any more from them.

Hmm.. I registered my interest on the Nintendo store yesterday. Should they not have notified me when it was in stock..? ::shrug:

Just now, nekunando said:

Hmm.. I registered my interest on the Nintendo store yesterday. Should they not have notified me when it was in stock..? ::shrug:

I did the same and got an email but I didnt know if the email was just a general one or actually the notification. The site didnt seem very good for stuff like that. There was no notification to say that my email address had been accepted etc.

I've got a couple of preorders just incase, I'm happy to pass one on if anyone can't get hold of one for themselves. Can't promise anything at the moment however.

Here in The Netherlands preorders are not open yet on any shop. But if I look at sites and forums, a lot of people are in panic mode, refreshing like mad or plundering your UK Amazon stock.

With the NES Mini I placed a pre-order fairly early which worked out, but I feel that the hype now is even bigger. I think all in all it will work out with Nintendo promising to miss more units, but just to be sure I pre-order as soon as a Dutch site puts it up!

1 hour ago, Ike said:

I've got a couple of preorders just incase, I'm happy to pass one on if anyone can't get hold of one for themselves. Can't promise anything at the moment however.

Keep me in mind in case my preorder falls through :smile:

Gotta play Starfox 2!

Sign in to follow this