NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

New Software!

Just wanted to ask a few questions about formatting posts with the new software, as I just had a little bit of a frustrating time attempting to post over in the Core Pokémon RPG thread, specifically with a post making use of numerous quotes throughout. I formatted the old way with [Q U O T E]quote[/ Q U O T E] but soon found quotes and comments embedding themselves within other quotes.

After a while I found that by turning my screen landscape, as opposed to portrait, that a quote option - symbolised by the speech marks - was available in the toolbar, and I managed to cut and paste my post accordingly. Would it be possible for you to look into making this option available whilst in portrait mode?

Also, I can't seem to find a "delete post" option, and didn't realise this until I had attempted to auto merge my messy post with another in an attempt to fix my aforementioned problem with quotes, and shortly thereafter also found that auto merge was no longer available. Would it be possible for one of you to enable the "delete post" feature, or more specifically, delete my clone post

Other than what can only be described as my own shortcomings and misunderstandings, I have to say that I love the new layout guys! Greatly responsive and intuitive design and it looks extremely clean, thanks! :D

Edited by Julius Caesar

The new forums are looking great guys, brilliant that you were able to migrate everything over too. A lot more modern but still retains the N-Europe feel.

Just wanted to ask a few questions about formatting posts with the new software, as I just had a little bit of a frustrating time attempting to post over in the Core Pokémon RPG thread, specifically with a post making use of numerous quotes throughout. I formatted the old way with [Q U O T E]quote[/ Q U O T E] but soon found quotes and comments embedding themselves within other quotes.

After a while I found that by turning my screen landscape, as opposed to portrait, that a quote option - symbolised by the speech marks - was available in the toolbar, and I managed to cut and paste my post accordingly. Would it be possible for you to look into making this option available whilst in portrait mode?

Also, I can't seem to find a "delete post" option, and didn't realise this until I had attempted to auto merge my messy post with another in an attempt to fix my aforementioned problem with quotes, and shortly thereafter also found that auto merge was no longer available. Would it be possible for one of you to enable the "delete post" feature, or more specifically, delete my clone post

Other than what can only be described as my own shortcomings and misunderstandings, I have to say that I love the new layout guys! Greatly responsive and intuitive design and it looks extremely clean, thanks! 

I agree about the lack of a delete post button. Have we just missed it, or is there genuinely not one?

Yeah I noticed the lack of delete post before. That would be super useful for someone like me. :)

One thing I miss is the ability to jump to another forum using a drop down menu from the bottom of a page, is this possible on the new software?

14 hours ago, Shorty said:

Everyone was using Thanks like a Like here anyway, so it makes more sense as "Like" IMO!

...I legit did not see that button the first time around :heh: Probably 'cause it looks like a heart. So much superfluous stuff on the internet already has that shape, I tuned out this one

By the way, is there any way to embed minimised Youtube videos for music like before? I know we can do it with the full screen, but I did enjoy using the "music" option.

Edited by Jonnas

My one problem at the moment is the issue with quotes and some coming out with black text, some white and some a mixture of both. This can be an issue on the darker theme when trying to read the black font on dark grey quote box (possibly an issue on other themes but I havent checked those).

Ok, quote button should now be available at mobile sizes.

Members can now hide their own posts from all users except staff (to prevent abuse).

• Like 1

On 03/07/2017 at 10:42 AM, Shorty said:

Everyone was using Thanks like a Like here anyway, so it makes more sense as "Like" IMO!

Also have to say I'm having a lil issue on the Like on the dark theme. I know Jonnas has Liked your post above, but only because I highlighted it. The light green doesn't go well with that shade of grey, neither does the "likes this" text colour. They blend too much :(

I made a slight change to the Dark Switch theme to try and sort out the Like thing but I know there are still issues.

Another ground-up theme is being made (as opposed to this which was a quick adaption) so it might be worth just holding out until that's ready to go.

• Like 1

I have to say, the new software is awesome.  I'd not previously noticed, but it makes posting videos a breeze.

10 hours ago, Ashley said:

I made a slight change to the Dark Switch theme to try and sort out the Like thing but I know there are still issues.

Yeah the red on grey is not easy to read. The likes are fixed but the rest of the forum just looks a bit blurry now.

• Like 1

I still seem to be getting the black font on black backgrounds problem with quotes. Make things very hard to read!

In the thread:

Quote.png

When quoting in a reply:

Quote2.png

Edited by Happenstance

I managed to work something out - editing the colours in the css for the editor is loaded after the main css, so the editor's CSS (shared among all themes) will overwrite some stuff

• Like 1

I'm still getting used to things, but my early thoughts were that I want some elements stand out more.. Nothing that can't be fixed with CSS. Specifically, I want a clearer separation between a post, the signature, and the element with all the functionality, like "quote" and "like".

And again, I'm still getting used to things, but I think I'd like an option to disable WYSIWYG. It sometimes makes it harder to format things if want to move things around or want some extra space (or less space) somewhere. Of course I'll need a list of all the current tags, because I wasn't able to embed a tweet using bb code.. I don't know if a FAQ is already up somewhere.

11 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I'm still getting used to things, but my early thoughts were that I want some elements stand out more.. Nothing that can't be fixed with CSS. Specifically, I want a clearer separation between a post, the signature, and the element with all the functionality, like "quote" and "like".

And again, I'm still getting used to things, but I think I'd like an option to disable WYSIWYG. It sometimes makes it harder to format things if want to move things around or want some extra space (or less space) somewhere. Of course I'll need a list of all the current tags, because I wasn't able to embed a tweet using bb code.. I don't know if a FAQ is already up somewhere.

Completely agree with the first point. I definitely think elements need to stand out more. I find for all the positives the new software brings, it's harder on the eye to navigate than before. Posts aren't as legible, newly updated threads aren't as obvious etc

Sorry but I've no interest in significantly refining the theme. Darker means of separating features looks dated and ugly and would require more significant overrides to the default theme, which would break responsively or when new features come out etc. I've gotten used to it very quickly and I can't for the life of me understand complaints about newly updated threads, they're both bold and have a symbol next to them.

Also the software does not seem to allow installation of a source-code view I'm afraid. Says the addon is already installed but doesn't give an option to put it in the toolbar.

• Like 5

I wouldn't know about "dated and ugly", but making basic functionality not stand out more is just plain bad UX design. Putting them right under the body text makes them blur in with the text, which to me is ugly, and not user friendly. I can find them now, but I wouldn't have to look for them in the first place. It's also ridiculous it's hard to just change the backgroundcolor or something just as simple, that sounds like bad forum software.

Anyway, I took a look at the only other forum I frequently go to at the moment, they also have simple text links for quotes and stuff. but they place them at the top right of a post, making them stand out more eventhough they're otherwise the same as here. It also helps they have a big margin at the right so text doesn't go to the end.

Example: https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1759233/last

But if a simple background colour is hard, moving things around must be impossible I assume.

Hey, just wondering.  Are there any plans to bring back the Buy/Sell/Trade forum? It was fairly popular and quite a few of us got some good use out of it.

@Dcubed To be honest I forgot that board was live, thought it got merged. Not sure it was "popular" really, there were no posts in the last month it was live and then none through March and April!

What do you think about just listing trades amongst the rest of the threads? Or maybe we could have a special sidebar block for it.

@Sméagol I've found the best way to move quotes around is to put some linebreaks/text/spaces in where you want the quote to be, then drag the quote into that space.

Well I got some good use out of it anyway :p 

A sidebar block sounds like a good idea.  Something to help it stand out and not just clog up the boards themselves with spammy looking threads sounds good to me.

Edited by Dcubed

Not sure if this has been mentioned but when using the spoiler tag it's really difficult to make out what you're writing (Nintendo Switch Grey Theme).

Sign in to follow this