NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

New Software!

9 hours ago, dwarf said:

Maybe I just need to get used to it

This is the case more often than not :p I remember an outrage when we switched to vbulletin and avatars were 150px wide instead of 50px.

12 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I remember an outrage when we switched to vbulletin and avatars were 150px wide instead of 50px.

Wait, am I reading this right? People were annoyed that avatars could be bigger?

You guys be crazy!

11 hours ago, Eddage said:

Loving the look of the new forums, any ideas when it'll work with Tapatalk again?

To be honest, the mobile version of the new software is good enough that I'm not sure I'll even need Tapatalk. The only thing that it does better potentially is image attachments? 

Edit: Actually just tried using it again, and it's blazingly fast now! 

Edited by bob

Probably a stupid question but how do you embed YouTube videos now? I tried a couple of ways this morning and none of them worked. 

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Probably a stupid question but how do you embed YouTube videos now? I tried a couple of ways this morning and none of them worked. 

I ended up just posting the link on its own and it worked

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Thanks

I'm sure when I tried that and checked the preview it just displayed as a link rather than a video. I'll give it another try now.

EDIT: Yeah, it worked a treat. I wonder what I was doing different earlier, then? :confused:

12 hours ago, dwarf said:

Maybe I just need to get used to it, but is there any way you guys can add an icon/button that takes you to the last page and/or reply for threads? At the moment there's only a linked date that takes you to the latest reply. Obviously that's picky and not much of a priority for you right now, but I might not be the only one.

Also, maybe a theme that gives the topics a hard border would be good.

11 hours ago, will' said:

You can click on the circle to the left of the topic to go to the first new post in there.

As will says, the circle/star does that (star seems to be threads over a certain post count you've responded to from what I can tell, but will try and figure out definitely).  If there's a large number of pages it does 1,2,3,4...[last] as vb did so you'd just click the number at the end to go to the last page (as opposed to the last post).

When you say give topics a hard border, do you mean on the thread listing?

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I hope I'm not overstepping the mark, but I tested out the awesome new calendar tool by adding the next Mario Kart League night into the community calendar. Complete with cover photo. I really like this feature, can see it being very useful for remembering future directs, etc.

Nah it's cool.  I do want to use the feature for stuff like the league and maybe general matchmaking and will figure all that out shortly, but in the mean time feel free to use the community calendar (which might be the one we end up using, or we might have a separate online gaming one).

18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah it auto embeds if you copy the link.  Same with images, emojis and probably other things we haven't tried yet! 🐹

• Like 2

Can the signature image size allowance be changed? I just tried to update my sig but it told me it was too big and can be max of 500 x 100 - I'm guessing it just went to the default size for the new software? I think before they could be 150px high which is what many people seem to have (my old one was 600 x 130).

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

As will says, the circle/star does that (star seems to be threads over a certain post count you've responded to from what I can tell, but will try and figure out definitely).  If there's a large number of pages it does 1,2,3,4...[last] as vb did so you'd just click the number at the end to go to the last page (as opposed to the last post).

When you say give topics a hard border, do you mean on the thread listing?

Struggling to see a rule for when the the star/circle icons are visible/clickable, but I think I'll grow accustomed to clicking the time-of-post link displayed on the right instead, as that's in the same area as the last-post button was previously. Final page thing is fine, was seeing phantoms with that one.

Yeah, I meant the thread listing when you go into a board. At the moment different sections of the site seem to be floating in place/unfinished, even though it functions fine (see also the N-Europe banner that creates dead white space where lines don't join up. Picky/pedantic I know, BUT IT'S MY HOME TOO!

I don't know what you mean by floating/unfinished, the majority of this theme is IPB's default theme. Not sure what dead white space you're referring to either?

The only thing that I think looks a bit wonky/unaligned is the announcement but we don't use those much anyway so that'll be gone soon.

The "unseen"/"last post" type features require the index to be up to date, which as mentioned yesterday could take as much as two days.

30 minutes ago, Kav said:

Where's the button to switch to desktop version?

If you are using Google Chrome on mobile, click 3 dots at the top to access the dropdown menu. Should be below add to home screen. 

1 hour ago, dwarf said:

Yeah, I meant the thread listing when you go into a board. At the moment different sections of the site seem to be floating in place/unfinished, even though it functions fine (see also the N-Europe banner that creates dead white space where lines don't join up. Picky/pedantic I know, BUT IT'S MY HOME TOO!

I'm not sure what you're referring to.  Mind providing some screenshots?

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

The "unseen"/"last post" type features require the index to be up to date, which as mentioned yesterday could take as much as two days.

General FYI - looks like the rebuild of posts (the biggest part obviously) will be going on until the early hours of the morning.  It's then got to do a few other things (some of which won't be big such as rebuilding tags as we didn't really use it) but then needs to reindex the posts (as opposed to rebuild which is what it's doing at the moment).  Can't recall from our tests if that took the same amount of time, but looks like it might be the end of the weekend before things are all 'lined up' and some of the features work as expected (including search).

33 minutes ago, Kav said:

Where's the button to switch to desktop version?

1 minute ago, DriftKaiser said:

If you are using Google Chrome on mobile, click 3 dots at the top to access the dropdown menu. Should be below add to home screen. 

Presuming this is a joke because it's responsive now...?

47 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Presuming this is a joke because it's responsive now...?

Afraid not... although I don't own a PC/laptop so I always use my phone for posting (iPhone, using basic safari) but always preferred the desktop version.

For all I know this could be the desktop version given how I don't have a desktop to check, but it looks very "mobile-versiony" to me.

It's responsive.  It's designed to work on mobiles and desktops in the same way.  There is no 'desktop' version other than you see things wider when viewing on a desktop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flameboy said:

Can we get a dark version all this white is burning my eyes!

It's currently being worked on.

I presume Kav wants it to look like the first picture rather than the second?

I realise it's the same website jiggled about a bit, but there are still two versions of it. 48a476af0a0d0db2ed66c924da013a4e.jpg4ba478b52a1954c65e604f4d321802bc.jpg

• Like 1

@Shorty is probably in a better position to answer this, but I suspect in order to ignore the default responsive behaviour we'd have to edit the CSS and/or Javascript (potentially for each theme).

We can switch on to show the sidebar in mobile, but it automatically appears at the bottom anyway.

[mention=16]Shorty[/mention] is probably in a better position to answer this, but I suspect in order to ignore the default responsive behaviour we'd have to edit the CSS and/or Javascript (potentially for each theme).
We can switch on to show the sidebar in mobile, but it automatically appears at the bottom anyway.

I don't think there is a problem is there? Kav just wanted to use them desktop version, and he can. Others are fine with the mobile version.

It's all good?

Responsive design means there is essentially no mobile and desktop versions. Everything just shuffles about as you resize your browser, different style rules depending on the width of your screen. You can see it by just resizing your PC browser down to mobile size. Looking at that screenshot I'm guessing  Android and Apple behave differently when requesting desktop though because for me on iPhone it has no effect (because they're not different templates). Android is presumably essentially breaking the page by modifying a meta tag that delivers the screen width to the browser in order to make it zoom out like that.

I can't imagine why you'd want desktop on a phone now as its all the same content and styling but with a lot more pinching and zooming, and I hope people will consider the mobile template as I think it's the fastest, cleanest and most complete way to browse on a mobile. That said as long as everyone has a solution they're  happy with it's ok!

• Like 1

FWIW I think what bob did in that first screenshot was to use the Chrome mobile 'request desktop site' option which presumably just masquerades itself as a desktop rather than a mobile as opposed to Android acting differently (because I see it as the second screenshot on my phone).

Damn, this looks slick AF. Really liking the new look. I loved the old forum design back when I used my computer a lot but now that I mainly come on here on my phone/ipad it was becoming bit of a pain. This is so much easier and clean on my pad! 

Sign in to follow this