NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

New Software!

See, told you we'd do it!

Known Issues

• While the contents have been transferred it needs to be rebuilt and reindexed.  A lot of this has already happened, but some of it (particularly posts) may take a few days (from what I recall of a test we did a while ago it took about 2 days).  You shouldn't notice many issues and should be able to continue posting without a problem, but just be wary if things seem a bit odd that may be why.
  • The rebuild will also fix the custom codes (such as colour, center, font size etc) so at the moment they're not working.
  • The Twitter tag currently isn't working.  It looks like we might have to manually convert these and if we do we'll just do it for 'recent' posts (no defined timeframe at the moment).
  • The old :peace: emoticon used a space in vBulletin, but this software won't allow it so old uses won't work here (although obviously you can use it as I have done, it is just the only old emoticon that won't work in old posts that have been transferred).  Again, we'll see what we can do with that but having to wait for all the reindexing to take place before we can assess the impact.
  • Avatars and signatures are still being transferred over so don't worry if yours isn't available yet.
  • A lot of links on the homepage, as well as forum listings, aren't working.  They were when we tested earlier and we assume its while the rebuild is going on, but we've put in a support request.

Things not being transferred

• We have decided not to transfer attachments because we didn't use them much anyway and they take up space on the server.

Themes

We have just two themes now - a default one and a Switch one. I know before we had a number of character-based ones but we know they weren't used much.  We may do colour variances (which is what the Switch one essentially is), but if you guys have any pressing desire for certain ones let us know.  They may change ever so slightly when we find new things/sections that we hadn't seen before and haven't put a matching colour on.

To change the theme use the drop down at the very bottom of each page.

New Features

We are still getting to grips with this new software and obviously by and large trying to replicate what we currently had, however I have started taking advantage of the calendar feature to create a Nintendo Release Dates Calendar.  You should be able to view and 'RSVP' to these events and also review them (in this case it would be a review of the game obviously).  The future plan is to allow users to add events themselves but have them moderated.

• Calendar (discussed above)
  • Profiles have cover photos now so feel free to upload one.
  • User tagging is now dynamic (start typing the name and a list is displayed)
  • Polls can now have up to five questions with 20 options (we can change this limit if there's a call for it)

Once the dust has settled we'll start looking at exciting new things. 

Any questions or concerns pop them here.

• Like 6

Welcome to the other side!

While most of Shorty's post is actually my wording I snuck in there, I figured it was best to create my own post.

Here is a rough road-map of what we intend to do:

• This weekend - complete the transfer and deal with any initial teething problems
  • Short term - get an idea from you guys what you think is missing/lacking that you'd like to see and get to grips with the new inbuilt features this new software offers
  • Medium term - look at and implement some new features that we either couldn't do before, or never thought of.
  • Long term - world domination?

I will try and address any issues throughout today (Thursday) and tomorrow morning but then I'm out tomorrow afternoon/evening and back in the Midlands for personal reasons Saturday - Wednesday.  I will continue looking on my mobile (as its mobile responsive now!) and if there's a small thing I will try and fix it then and there, but it might be I either pass it to Shorty or wait until next weekend (1st/2nd July).

Thanks for your patience today with the switch over.  We hope you enjoy!

• Like 3

Quite a lot more homepage links are down than I thought. Reindexing is crucial for that apparently and taking longer than expected.

YOU'VE RUINED MARIO KART NIGHT!

Apart from that, it's looking swish.

We might have to put the Mario Kart theme night stuff on this part of the board temporarily...

EDIT: Ooooh. I didn't need to refresh to see updated posts. Guess it's much less likelyto be Ninja'd now.

Edited by Glen-i

You can still access the Mario Kart thread.

It seems that the 'recent posts' thing works, but not the main forum links.

And for what its worth, perhaps we can look at using the new calendar feature for this kind of thing going forward.

• Like 1

The links work now that I've turned off Friendly URLs, I'll try turning those back on after reindexing/after support gets back to me!

• Like 1

I'm so conflicted. On the one hand, I love new stuff. On the other hand, I hate change.

The forum looks nice, though.

The three buttons on the right of the top banner don't work for me. (Chrome on android).

Just trying the forum on my phone. Ads are pretty bad, appearing over half the screen.

Great work, guys. I appreciate all the time and effort that has gone into making this change. Well done to all those involved.

An issue I'm experiencing is one with the ads. I keep getting the Wayland Games ad pop up every time I scroll up a page when using my phone. It's as if I'm pressing the up button on the ad itself even though I'm no where near it.

Looks very clean and modern. 

Huge thumbs up!! 

Also getting adverts like H-o-T says. That's the only niggle. 

Ok those big ads are a bit more intrusive than I realised, no idea they hijacked links, I've turned them off.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, MoogleViper said:

The three buttons on the right of the top banner don't work for me. (Chrome on android).

Me neither, I've switched to viewing in desktop mode instead. 

4 minutes ago, bob said:

Me neither, I've switched to viewing in desktop mode instead. 

20 minutes ago, MoogleViper said:

Yeah same. Will look into it.

I'd... be quite surprised if switching to desktop mode did anything since it's a responsive design not a mobile theme.

The broken buttons were an issue with my custom header, should be sorted now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I'm so conflicted. On the one hand, I love new stuff. On the other hand, I hate change.

The forum looks nice, though.

You're just mad cos your avatar doesn't fit in a circle.

Mobile version of the site is not rendering images properly...

Here's a screenshot of the MK League Thread on mobile...

512F48B6-BE22-4809-9B66-48699046BAE4_zps

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shorty said:

You're just mad cos your avatar doesn't fit in a circle.

That was my biggest issue with the new design, yes.

I've fixed it now, though, so you don't need to change back to the old design. Crisis averted.

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Mobile version of the site is not rendering images properly...

Here's a screenshot of the MK League Thread on mobile...

512F48B6-BE22-4809-9B66-48699046BAE4_zps

It's squashing it so it fits in the window.  What were you expecting?  Is the issue the ratio isn't being kept?

(that sounds more bitter than I intended but can't think of another way of wording it :p)

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

It's squashing it so it fits in the window.  What were you expecting?  Is the issue the ratio isn't being kept?

(that sounds more bitter than I intended but can't think of another way of wording it :p)

Yeah, it should be keeping the aspect ratio.  I'm not sure if you can do anything on your end, but it would be much better if images wouldn't get distorted on mobile.

@Ashley Love the Switch theme.  Already love the new features came with the update @Shorty. Yeah I have similar problem with the theme squashed on mobile Google Chrome but desktop mode fixed it. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this