NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
flameboy

Good Nintendo Podcasts?

Simple question what do people listen to? No IGN I'm off all their content since they spoiled a certain someone being in Rogue One right there on the front page! I remember Infendo radio being a thing but someone left perhaps? Is GoNintendo still any good?

Simple question what do people listen to? No IGN I'm off all their content since they spoiled a certain someone being in Rogue One right there on the front page! I remember Infendo radio being a thing but someone left perhaps? Is GoNintendo still any good?

My go to guys are the Radio Free Nintendo crew. They've been around for years, they are all Nintendo fans but aren't afraid to call Nintendo out when they do things that displease them. There is sometimes a bit of other console discussion in the New Business section if someone has played something on their PS4/One.

The Easy Allies crew recently launched a Nintendo only podcast called Friend Code. It's also worth a listen.

My go to guys are the Radio Free Nintendo crew. They've been around for years, they are all Nintendo fans but aren't afraid to call Nintendo out when they do things that displease them. There is sometimes a bit of other console discussion in the New Business section if someone has played something on their PS4/One.

The Easy Allies crew recently launched a Nintendo only podcast called Friend Code. It's also worth a listen.

Ok I'll give Radio Free Nintendo a go!

Yeah @Ronnie just not a fan of their content at all and their constant spoiling of things on their front page has made me just want to outright boycott them.

Ok I'll give Radio Free Nintendo a go!

Yeah @Ronnie just not a fan of their content at all and their constant spoiling of things on their front page has made me just want to outright boycott them.

I listen to IGNs Nintendo Voice Chat but I'm not the biggest fan of them. They are afraid to be critical at times and I don't think Jose is a good host. He tries to fly through the podcast as if they are on a stop watch and the conversation loses its natural flow because of it. They are also quite short which is annoying when there's a large amount of news dropped that could be discussed. Stuff like Friend Code and RFN are usually at least a couple of hours long.

I quite like Power Bros podcast, some ex Nintendo Power staff members.

I do like IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat. I think they've got a good mix of characters on there and are an entertaining bunch.

Think I'll also give the Radio Free Nintendo one a try.

I quite like Power Bros podcast, some ex Nintendo Power staff members.

I second Dazzybee's shoutout, but I'll call it by its proper name ;). Power Pros podcast. Chris the Hoff is good at focusing on the news and brings his experience to bear in his analysis.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I don't think Jose is a good host. He tries to fly through the podcast as if they are on a stop watch..

It's the same every week and it continues to irritate me.. but it's still worth listening too, generally :smile:

Friend Code from Easy Allies is recommended too as I love those guys but Damiani being host probably hinders it a little.

I would suggest listening to their regular podcast each Friday or Frame Trap every other Monday. Each one covers all consoles but the latter digs deeper into what each ally has been playing.

I second Dazzybee's shoutout, but I'll call it by its proper name ;). Power Pros podcast. Chris the Hoff is good at focusing on the news and brings his experience to bear in his analysis.

Ok well two peole calling it out it gets a try.

It's the same every week and it continues to irritate me.. but it's still worth listening too, generally :smile:

Friend Code from Easy Allies is recommended too as I love those guys but Damiani being host probably hinders it a little.

I would suggest listening to their regular podcast each Friday or Frame Trap every other Monday. Each one covers all consoles but the latter digs deeper into what each ally has been playing.

Same for this I'll give Easy Allies a go outside of watching their reviews not consumed any of their content since they left Gametrailers.

Jose rushing through things on NVC is annoying but perhaps unlike other podcasts they have a schedule they need to stick to. I like him though and I think he's fair minded, if Nintendo deserve criticism he'll absolutely dish it out. Peer is one of the most knowledgeable about Nintendo in the gaming press so he has some great insight. I'm a huge fan of IGN's content, I think they do a fantastic job overall.

Have these guys improved anymore? I dropped them because the second guy on the podcast seemed like he didn't have a clue about anything.

Have these guys improved anymore? I dropped them because the second guy on the podcast seemed like he didn't have a clue about anything.

They've changed the 2nd guy a few times now. All who support Chris Hoffman are industry insiders. Either Ex Nintendo Power editors or game designers, etc. ATM the backup guy adds humour and insight.

I see Jose from IGN is leaving and going to work for Nintendo. All that butt kissing during the podcast has finally paid off.

Glad to see him leaving, TBH. Maybe now the podcast will be less rigid and actually have room to breathe.

What a massive shame, he was a great guy, one of the better writers and argued his points really well, and most importantly: eloquently. Him, Peer and Brian were the dream team on NVC and it just won't be the same without him.

The last NVC with Jose was tough to watch :( end of a era. He'll leave a big Nintendo shaped hole at IGN

DDC3-ENVwAAHxqG.jpg

• Like 1

NVC hosted a panel at PAX West the other week and they decided to rank the top 10 Nintendo games. This includes all the consoles and handhelds but the game must have either been developed or published by Nintendo.

I don't think there's a Youtube version of it yet but here's the link for the full episode over on the IGN site.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/09/12/nvc-pax-panel-lets-rank-the-best-nintendo-games-of-all-time

They ran one of these a couple of years back but I can't remember if it was for a specific console or just a another general one. Either way, it was hilarious and this new one didn't disappoint either. As a side note, it's still weird seeing Brian so thin. The guy looked a lot healthier when he had some weight on him.

There were some shoddy fans in the audience. One guy thought Links Awakening was on the GameBoy Advance and there was some lass who was very excited and cocky about putting a certain game on the list, only for the whole thing to come crashing down. It must have been so embarrassing for her. :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

NVC hosted a panel at PAX West the other week and they decided to rank the top 10 Nintendo games. This includes all the consoles and handhelds but the game must have either been developed or published by Nintendo.

I don't think there's a Youtube version of it yet but here's the link for the full episode over on the IGN site.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/09/12/nvc-pax-panel-lets-rank-the-best-nintendo-games-of-all-time

They ran one of these a couple of years back but I can't remember if it was for a specific console or just a another general one. Either way, it was hilarious and this new one didn't disappoint either. As a side note, it's still weird seeing Brian so thin. The guy looked a lot healthier when he had some weight on him.

There were some shoddy fans in the audience. One guy thought Links Awakening was on the GameBoy Advance and there was some lass who was very excited and cocky about putting a certain game on the list, only for the whole thing to come crashing down. It must have been so embarrassing for her. :D 

Listened to this in the car towards the end of last week and was pulling my hair out (with at least one hand firmly on the wheel, of course :heh: ) with some of the decisions! At one point it felt like a top 10 list of Zelda games.. and nowhere near in the right order :grin:

Gutted for Banjo-Kazooie (the only truly special and amazing game in that franchise :hehe: ) but it's hard to justify a place in the top 10 of all time, even for a huge fan like me!

To be honest, 10 spaces isn't enough to compile a list when there are so many classics missing out..

• Like 1

Just now, nekunando said:

Listened to this in the car towards the end of last week and was pulling my hair out (with at least one hand firmly on the wheel, of course :heh: ) with some of the decisions! At one point it felt like a top 10 list of Zelda games.. and nowhere near in the right order :grin:

Gutted for Banjo-Kazooie (the only truly special and amazing game in that franchise :hehe: ) but it's hard to justify a place in the top 10 of all time, even for a huge fan like me!

To be honest, 10 spaces isn't enough to compile a list when there are so many classics missing out..

I was the same. I was driving home and fuming with the way Banjo got treated, as well as BOTW being on the list at all. :D

What did you think of that lass I was talking about? It was such a cringe inducing moment. 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was the same. I was driving home and fuming with the way Banjo got treated, as well as BOTW being on the list at all. :D

What did you think of that lass I was talking about? It was such a cringe inducing moment. 

I may have been a little distracted so possibly missed the intent of the suggestion but my reaction was of the 'not sure if serious' variety. Rather embarrassing!

Regardless, I wouldn't mention that game in the same breath as the best of what Nintendo have to offer.

I was honestly delighted to hear a shout out for Wii Sports, though, which is probably one of my favourites too. However, like Banjo-Kazooie it may not quite break the top 10.. but until I make my own list, we'll never know! No idea what I'd even have at number 1 these days :grin:

I was gutted Wind Waker missed out.

The guy who criticised the screen layout AND format on two occasions was a bit of a... - glad they shot him down

Basically like you say H-O-T 10 spaces isn't anywhere near enough

1 hour ago, nekunando said:

I was honestly delighted to hear a shout out for Wii Sports, though, which is probably one of my favourites too. However, like Banjo-Kazooie it may not quite break the top 10.. but until I make my own list, we'll never know! No idea what I'd even have at number 1 these days :grin:

Same for me. Nostalgia plays a big part for me when I try to rank games.

It was weird because they said that nostalgia should not be a factor when making this list, yet a lot of the choices on there were exactly that. For example, Super Mario Bros. was a landmark in gaming but I don't think it holds up compared to the later 2D Mario games.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Basically like you say H-O-T 10 spaces isn't anywhere near enough

To be fair, it was nando who said it. :p I quite like it though. I mean, yeah, you could easily make a list of the top 100 Nintendo games, but its far more entertaining seeing people trying their best to get the list down to 10. :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Same for me. Nostalgia plays a big part for me when I try to rank games.

I'm hoping Super Mario Odyssey comes along and makes the decision easy for me :grin:

Having said that, as soon as I beat Super Mario Galaxy I felt it might be my favourite of all time and then I felt exactly the same directly after Super Mario Galaxy 2.. but now I have no idea ::shrug:Super Mario 64 and Super Mario World would be in with a shout too so I guess it's easy to see what franchise has the biggest hold on my heart :love:

I've got a real urge to start compiling a list..

4 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I'm hoping Super Mario Odyssey comes along and makes the decision easy for me :grin:

Having said that, as soon as I beat Super Mario Galaxy I felt it might be my favourite of all time and then I felt exactly the same directly after Super Mario Galaxy 2.. but now I have no idea ::shrug:Super Mario 64 and Super Mario World would be in with a shout too so I guess it's easy to see what franchise has the biggest hold on my heart :love:

I've got a real urge to start compiling a list..

Galaxy 2 beats the original, for me. I would be hesitant to be Mario 64 on my list as I think Banjo Kazooie is the better 3D platformer.

We should create an N-E list but somehow use the same rules as the IGN staff. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Galaxy 2 beats the original, for me. I would be hesitant to be Mario 64 on my list as I think Banjo Kazooie is the better 3D platformer.

We should create an N-E list but somehow use the same rules as the IGN staff. :D 

I owned Banjo-Kazooie before Super Mario 64 and originally thought it was better but I think the latter may hold up better even though they are very different games. Banjo-Tooie has tarnished my view a little as it destroyed most of what made the original great but I really want to play the first game again. Just thinking about the levels and the music makes my heart sing :love:

Totally up for creating some sort of N-Europe list!

Edited by nekunando

Sign in to follow this