NEurope
Helmsly

Metroid Samus Returns for 3DS (2D Metroid game)

I managed to go the wrong way round to get something.

I'm currently on the last Metroid of the second section...it seems to require insane reaction times to get to it. Either that or I'm doing something completely wrong. 

5 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Metroid: Samus Returns is indeed pure gaming gold confirmed thanks to this one simple test...

I just looked to my left to find a stone cold cup of tea, completely untouched after looking up from my New 3DS XL after an hour or so. :blush:

Please, Please, Please let me dub this test of quality "The S.C.G.T Test"

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Breath of the Wild passed the S.C.G.T Test many times, but I don't drink tea, it was coffee, so I declare an alternative method of testing, the S.C.G.Cof. (cough) Test.

• Haha 1

My order just arrived. Surprised how early in the day they delivered it. Kinda makes up for it not showing up yesterday. :D

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I heartily endorse this event or product. ;)

"The S.C.G.T Test" is unaminously approved.

6 hours ago, londragon said:

Breath of the Wild passed the S.C.G.T Test many times, but I don't drink tea, it was coffee, so I declare an alternative method of testing, the S.C.G.Cof. (cough) Test.

Likewise... "S.C.G.Cof. Test" is also approved pending testing. :D

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My order just arrived. Surprised how early in the day they delivered it. Kinda makes up for it not showing up yesterday. :D

Enjoy it Adam! :peace:

We'll have to compare our finishing times at the end of the weekend. :p

(I'm nowhere near finishing... yet but I'm just pre-empting as I plan to spend the last weekend of my holiday playing this and I'm sure you'll be doing the same this weekend... I hope) :)

• Like 2

So excited to finally crack this open (which is looking like tomorrow morning, at this rate :hmm: ) but it didn't stop me picking up Resident Evil VII for £17 this afternoon.

Too many great games to play :yay:

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1

My parents picked it up for me from the post office earlier and my feeling that they'd bundled the two together was correct, but they were still in two separate boxes just held together with elastic bands. Cracked open the Amiibo and it's fantastic, the quality of them has come on leaps and bounds since the original figures came out. The detail and the staging of them is so much better nowadays. 

I've opened the limited edition box but I'm hesitant to open the keyring though, I love the little package it comes in. The steelbook is great too but the game boy text could have been more embossed. I finished The Evil Within last night so as soon as it goes dark tonight I'm going to get stuck into this my only worry is that playing on the 3DS isn't going to cut it after a few months on the Switch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Likewise... "S.C.G.Cof. Test" is also approved pending testing. :D

Now officially approved. ;) (That's two cups of tea AND a cup of coffee which have fallen victim to this high quality game now)

22 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I've opened the limited edition box but I'm hesitant to open the keyring though, I love the little package it comes in. The steelbook is great too but the game boy text could have been more embossed. I finished The Evil Within last night so as soon as it goes dark tonight I'm going to get stuck into this my only worry is that playing on the 3DS isn't going to cut it after a few months on the Switch. 

Glad to hear you got everything, I'll be waiting on my amiibo for a while probably as they are going to be shipped from Amazon Germany with any luck.

Well the good news is, you don't have to open your keyring if you don't want to, in fact that's partly why I opened all the contents of mine for the article, so here's just the keyring pic in case you hadn't seen it... :)

MetroidSamusReturnsLegacyEditionMorphBal

It's nice enough but you're not missing out on much.

I really love the Samus Archives soundtrack CD though which I was blasting through my speakers while putting together that article, really nicely arranged. :D

Right, back to hunting down more Metroids! ;)

Finally got around to playing this today.  I've just used the second elevator and now have a flashing red light on my 3DS.

I'm really enjoying the game.  It's fairly linear so far but Metroid II was fairly linear to begin with.  The detail in everything is amazing.  Plus all the musical cues are spot on!

The most annoying thing has been that the R button doesn't point your gun downwards.  That's purely an issue because of how much I've played Super Metroid.  I'm also not a fan of how the ice beam doesn't destroy a basic enemy on a second hit.

I really like the melee counter ability, it makes Samus seem even more badass.  Not so keen on Aeion abilities, the scan pulse feels a bit out of place at the minute.  Maybe they'll grow on me.

The enemies are nice 3D versions of the ones seen in Metroid II & Fusion.

The stereoscopic 3D is really well used in this game.  Gives a good depth to the areas and makes the shattering ice have more effect.  I've experienced no noticeable frame dips so far, which is very impressive with how much detail there seems to be.  Saying all that... I wouldn't have complained had this been 1080p on my TV without 3D either... 

4 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

I'm also not a fan of how the ice beam doesn't destroy a basic enemy on a second hit.

Yeah, I think it seems a bit underpowered.  I sometimes switch back to the normal beam.

4 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

I really like the melee counter ability, it makes Samus seem even more badass.  Not so keen on Aeion abilities, the scan pulse feels a bit out of place at the minute.  Maybe they'll grow on me.

I do like that one, but not sure I fully understand the second one I've found.  Great game though - quite possibly my game of the year.

5 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

I'm also not a fan of how the ice beam doesn't destroy a basic enemy on a second hit.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Yeah, I think it seems a bit underpowered.  I sometimes switch back to the normal beam.

I think it's deliberate to prevent you killing any enemy you were trying to use as a platform. Not that it's used much. That''s probably why the Ice Beam is seperate,

I've currently 15 Metroids left. 

This game is great.  So happy to be playing another sidescrolling Metroid after 12 years. 

The 3D use is very good too. Makes me miss 3d on the Switch. 

Also, I like that the combat is focused on the precision of free aim. Gives it a fresh feel compared to classic Metroid combat and it's nice. 

For anyone mentioning the ice beam power - freeze then missile. I do it all the time. I like that it gives me a reason to use regular missiles outside of boss fights.

Edited by James McGeachie
  • Like 1

I keep seeing pictures of that sweet sweet limited edition online and I'm gutted I never ordered it. 

I also really want the game so may have to look at some trade in options to get hold of it. 

1 hour ago, Aneres11 said:

Bought it. 

Played it for like 15 mins. 

Really really good so far. 

Not sure if there was much in the first 15 minutes that I would consider 'really, really good' but I'm sure it will be fantastic the further we progress :grin:

I'm only around 30 minutes into the game myself and think the melee counter is great as is the free aim! My only minor criticism thus far is the use of the Circle Pad. I didn't expect it to be an issue going in but I miss the precision of a D-Pad a little given that Samus doesn't move any faster or slower based on how far you slide the Circle Pad. Moving into morph ball is particularly unsatisfying but I'll either get used to the feeling of that or touching the screen.

Absolutely can't wait to play more :hehe:

8 hours ago, nekunando said:

I'm only around 30 minutes into the game myself and think the melee counter is great as is the free aim! My only minor criticism thus far is the use of the Circle Pad. I didn't expect it to be an issue going in but I miss the precision of a D-Pad a little given that Samus doesn't move any faster or slower based on how far you slide the Circle Pad. Moving into morph ball is particularly unsatisfying but I'll either get used to the feeling of that or touching the screen.

This is a big gripe of mine, as well. I have a general dislike of having to play 2D games using an analogue stick. They just never feel right and I find it very off putting.

I only managed to get a couple of hours into the game over the weekend. Destiny 2 is draining all of my game time...the grind is real. Still, i've played enough to know that, while the game is enjoyable, it doesn't have its claws in me. However, I do enjoy the scan ability. It makes for a much more enjoyable experience while exploring. I also love picking up any new power up/upgrade due to the classic jingle. Love that sound. :D Also, the soundtrack has been great so far. Other than those things the game has been pretty average for me.

I have to say, there's a special place in hell for the person who decided to put those bat type enemies all over the place. Hands down one of the most annoying enemies I have come across in a game in a long time. They aren't even hard but they just seem to be in every single room you go in and always have a habit of knocking me off platforms or walls, casuing me to take a significant amount of damage. Very frustrating.

I have such a weird relationship with this series. My two favourites out of the franchise are Other M and Fusion, both of which are seen as lesser games by the hardcore fans. The games that are praised to high heaven, like Super Metroid and Prime series, are games that I just find OK but not great. I have a feeling this game is going to be either the same as those or maybe somewhere in between those and my favourite entries. 

58 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My two favourites out of the franchise are Other M and Fusion

Super Metroid and Prime series, are games that I just find OK but not great.

:eek:

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is a big gripe of mine, as well. I have a general dislike of having to play 2D games using an analogue stick. They just never feel right and I find it very off putting.

I only managed to get a couple of hours into the game over the weekend. Destiny 2 is draining all of my game time...the grind is real. Still, i've played enough to know that, while the game is enjoyable, it doesn't have its claws in me. However, I do enjoy the scan ability. It makes for a much more enjoyable experience while exploring. I also love picking up any new power up/upgrade due to the classic jingle. Love that sound. :D Also, the soundtrack has been great so far. Other than those things the game has been pretty average for me.

I have to say, there's a special place in hell for the person who decided to put those bat type enemies all over the place. Hands down one of the most annoying enemies I have come across in a game in a long time. They aren't even hard but they just seem to be in every single room you go in and always have a habit of knocking me off platforms or walls, casuing me to take a significant amount of damage. Very frustrating.

I have such a weird relationship with this series. My two favourites out of the franchise are Other M and Fusion, both of which are seen as lesser games by the hardcore fans. The games that are praised to high heaven, like Super Metroid and Prime series, are games that I just find OK but not great. I have a feeling this game is going to be either the same as those or maybe somewhere in between those and my favourite entries. 

I've been wanting to replay Other M for ages but it's impossible to find the time!

I also feel all over the place regarding the franchise. The original Metroid Prime is definitely my favourite but I'm not sure what comes after that. Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Other M would probably be high up the list, followed by Fusion.

I could never get into the NES game, though :hmm:

Edited by nekunando

1 hour ago, dazzybee said:

:eek:

Super Metroid I didn't play until years after its release. By that time it had been over hyped and it felt like a product of its time. A bit like Earthbound, really.

As for Prime, honestly, the only real thing I love about it is the soundtrack, everything else never really clicked with me. I suspect I may enjoy it more if I replayed it now but there's too many other new games to be played to give the game a chance. Maybe before Prime 4 hits I will give it another shot.

I'm loving this game. It's been a long time since I was so engaged with a game. I'm even enjoying this more than Breath of the Wild! Super Metroid is in the top 3 of my favourites games though, if not on top, so that's not a surprise :D

A couple of times I had to use bomb climb in morph ball to get somewhere or get an upgrade. Kinda feels like Mario The Lost Levels!

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I do agree with a lot of that.  Using the analogue stick for movement is not ideal at all, and took a lot of getting used to, personally.  This game does have its claws in me though.  There is something impressive, but not all that loveable about it, sort of like Metroid Prime.  I don't know if it's just because it's my first time through, but it feels a bit too much like a hard slog.

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yep, definitely.  My two favourites are easily Fusion and Zero Mission, whilst Other M does have that "lovability" I mention.

• Like 1

I caved and just ordered this from Simply Games. 

I played Super Metroid for the first time last year and loved it so im looking forward to finding how this plays.

Metroid Prime was my first Metroid and I absolutely loved it. I would love a HD version of that game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Fusion is great. I often replay Fusion and Zero Mission, with Zero Mission probably being my favourite game in the series.

On 15/09/2017 at 11:48 PM, Cube said:

I managed to go the wrong way round to get something.

I'm currently on the last Metroid of the second section...it seems to require insane reaction times to get to it. Either that or I'm doing something completely wrong. 

Is it

Spoiler

The one you have to move through the lava to get to? That was rough.

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Super Metroid I didn't play until years after its release. By that time it had been over hyped and it felt like a product of its time. A bit like Earthbound, really.

As for Prime, honestly, the only real thing I love about it is the soundtrack, everything else never really clicked with me. I suspect I may enjoy it more if I replayed it now but there's too many other new games to be played to give the game a chance. Maybe before Prime 4 hits I will give it another shot.

Fair enough. Actually. I haven’t finished super metroid either, tried again on wii u vc and it didn’t blow me away. Prime on the hand is up there in the top ten I reckon. Did you play any of the sequels? 

Hopefully they’ll release a metroid prime trilogy on switch in the spring.