NEurope
Helmsly

Metroid Samus Returns for 3DS (2D Metroid game)

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The Metroid fanbase make me a bit embarrassed to be a Metroid fan, to be honest.

The Federation Force bile throwing was incredibly overblown. It was nothing more than a okay spin-off and they were going around declaring the death of the Metroid series. Utterly dumb.

Other M is also loads of fun. The story's stupid, but I've replayed the damn thing 4 times. Game's a gameplay riot from start to finish. Best Ridley Boss fight too, especially on Hard mode.

24162859924_4ec2e928b5_o.gif

Nicked that move from Smash Bros Brawl, yet still cool as hell.

I've been eager to play through Other M again for months! I've probably forgotten most of it so that makes me even more encouraged to return :hehe: I really liked it the first time around!

• Like 1

Amiibo usage has been revealed.

Metroid

You can tap this amiibo to find out if there's a Metroid nearby. After completing the game, you can tap this amiibo to unlock Fusion mode.

Samus (Returns, Smash, Zero Suit)

You can unlock an item to help you on your mission. After completing the game, you can tap this amiibo to unlock new content for the Gallery.

Not sure if each one unlocks something different.

I really hope that there are alternative ways to unlock this stuff (like completing 100% or something), because if stuff like Fusion Mode is truly locked to the Amiibo than that's probably one of the worst cases of Day-1 DLC I've heard of - worse than any day-1 DLC EA or Ubisoft have done.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cube said:

I really hope that there are alternative ways to unlock this stuff (like completing 100% or something), because if stuff like Fusion Mode is truly locked to the Amiibo than that's probably one of the worst cases of Day-1 DLC I've heard of - worse than any day-1 DLC EA or Ubisoft have done.

Before everyone flies off the handle, it's worth noting that people were saying the exact same thing about Star Fox Zero's Black Arwing, not to mention Kirby Planet Robobot. And then it turned out you could unlock everything through other methods.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm hoping 100% completion or something like that unlocks it. 

• Like 1

Confirmed fusion mode locked behind amiibo.

Fcuk Nintendo. Nintendo now just as bad as anything EA or anyone else has done.

There was initially some uncertainty as to whether this would be an amiibo exclusive. In a statement provided to Eurogamer, Nintendo offered an official confirmation. The company said that “this unlockable content is only unlocked using amiibo”.

Edited by khilafah

That's why you vote with your wallet. I actually like the metroid amiibo, so I may get it just for its own sake, but I love the school uniform in Splatoon 2, but I'm not getting the old amiibo just to unlock it, nor have I bought any Zelda amiibo. Cosmetic content unlocked using amiibo is fine, but actual functional content should be available through normal means. So punish Nintendo by not buying the amiibo.

Well, that sucks then.

This is the first time I think they've gone too far with Amiibo.

Edited by Glen-i

30 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well, that sucks then.

This is the first time I think they've gone too far with Amiibo.

After years of people asking them to do more with amiibo, they do this haha.

It's quite amusing

2 minutes ago, Serebii said:

After years of people asking them to do more with amiibo, they do this haha.

It's quite amusing

Well, I was never one of them. I always liked amiibo for the figurines. The small little bonuses were just that, small little bonuses. And they were what made Amiibo harmless really.

That same Samus amiibo must unlock things in about two dozen games by now. That's what separates them from the rest of microtransactions.

Hopefully Nintendo actually listen to the negative reaction and release a patch that enables players to unlock Fusion Mode through gameplay. The fact that the amiibo is already sold out means that not many people are likely to ever play the Fusion Mode, so they either need to make the amiibo more readily available or make the content accessable through other means. It's totally unacceptable to lock day one content behind a paywall.

33 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That same Samus amiibo must unlock things in about two dozen games by now. That's what separates them from the rest of microtransactions.

Meanwhile, every Pokemon Amiibo does absolutely nothing outside of Smash Bros. What about them? Pokemon's hardly obscure as far as game franchises go.

Well that's rather crappy isn't it?

It's not the first time they've pulled this with Metroid though.  They did essentially the same thing with Metroid Prime/Metroid Fusion where you had to have both games and a GBA/GCN Link cable to unlock NES Metroid and (oh the irony) the Fusion Suit costume in Metroid Prime.

Edited by Dcubed

41 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Well that's rather crappy isn't it?

It's not the first time they've pulled this with Metroid though.  They did essentially the same thing with Metroid Prime/Metroid Fusion where you had to have both games and a GBA/GCN Link cable to unlock NES Metroid and (oh the irony) the Fusion Suit costume in Metroid Prime.

The difference is they were both games, both enjoyable on their own merit, and more likely to have the same customers. I did not buy either of the games to simply unlock stuff in the other ;). And the fusion suit was purely cosmetic, where it seems here it actually changes gameplay.

1 hour ago, Serebii said:

Honestly didn't know that Planet Robobot acknowledged Pikachu. I just assumed it did nothing. (Hey, can you blame me?)

I feel stupid for not remembering Mario Maker though.

It's still amazingly sparse for one of gaming's most recognisable characters. You'd think the Pokemon amiibos would be utilised way more. (Greninja Yoshi was one hell of a missed opportunity in Woolly World)

• Like 1

Can't wait until they make amiibo for all Pokémon which just gives you the pokémon in the following games.

4 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Can't wait until they make amiibo for all Pokémon which just gives you the pokémon in the following games.

Don't give the Pokemon Company ideas. They are certainly not above doing awful things like that.

As much as Game Freak annoy me sometimes, they at least haven't stooped that low. Chun Soft went dangerously close with Mystery Dungeon but quickly saw the error of their ways and dropped those DLC shenanigans.

Anyway, Metroid 2, huh? Isn't that one of the rare cases where a planet doesn't explode? If so, I'd laugh if they retconned that in.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Anyway, Metroid 2, huh? Isn't that one of the rare cases where a planet doesn't explode? If so, I'd laugh if they retconned that in.

Nah, Fusion already corrected that.

"Samus, you forgot to explode that planet back in Metroid 2!"

"Whoops! Thanks for reminding me. I'mma take care of that"

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Nah, Fusion already corrected that.

"Samus, you forgot to explode that planet back in Metroid 2!"

"Whoops! Thanks for reminding me. I'mma take care of that"

Top quality post! Masterful use of Metroid knowledge to make me laugh

cae.gif

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sméagol said:

The difference is they were both games, both enjoyable on their own merit, and more likely to have the same customers. I did not buy either of the games to simply unlock stuff in the other ;). And the fusion suit was purely cosmetic, where it seems here it actually changes gameplay.

True...

giphy-1.gif

But the Metroid Amiibo is squidgy! SQUIDGY!!! I need that shiz in my life! :p

• Like 1

Crazy to think that we are now looking at difficulty levels be locked behind amiibo ( this game ) or DLC (BOTW).

This situation really doesn't effect me because:

1. I collect amiibo anyway.
  2. I doubt I would have played on this new difficulty setting.

However, i'm not blind to the fact that this is a pretty scummy thing to do, especially if this decision to lock the difficulty does indeed stick. There are many people who don't buy amiibo and now are kinda forced to if they want to play the game in a certain way. This is bad enough on its own but because amiibo still have stock issues ( seriously, why is this still a thing? ) people will either be forced to pay scalper prices, buy a counterfeit amiibo card or miss out entirely on a difficulty they want to play.

It's not the first time amiibo usage has caused a fuss and I doubt it will be the last. When Splatoon launched on the Wii U there were a few levels locked behind amiibo. It was DLC that was on the disc already but had to be unlocked with a £10-15 key. 

One of things that annoys me is that Nintendo are releasing same characters but with different unlocks. When amiibo first were announced the idea was that if you buy a Mario amiibo then that Mario will unlock multiple things across various games. What seems to have happened now is that there are multiple versions of Mario, each unlocking different things. For example, the Mario from the Mario series lineup will unlock things in Pikmin but I don't think the Mario from the Smash Bros series will work.  I imagine it will be the same for Samus. There's already a Samus figure released that should have unlocked everything but instead the consumer needs to buy a different version to unlock something else.

As I said at the start, I collect these anyway so this whole situation doesn't effect me in the slightest but I can certainly see why people are outraged by this.

• Like 2

Hilarious how unlocking all this content costs the same as the game itself.