NEurope
Helmsly

Metroid Samus Returns for 3DS (2D Metroid game)

WHAT?!!

Pros

* It's a 2D Metroid

Cons

* It should be on Switch (as well?)

* I don't like the graphics at all

3DS isn't powerful enough for 2.5D (a method I'm not hugely keen on anyway). A continuation of Fusion/Zero Mission's pixel art, or even HD hand-drawn (on Switch) would have been so much more pleasing. But still, it should play well, and hopefully this is the game we've been waiting for!

I have already played a (good) Metroid 2D remake, but this looks good nonetheless. Would probably get it if I had a 3DS. I love the melee counters!

Why is this exclusively on the 3DS?

Seriously, cancel the Kirby game, then have them port this for the Switch. And announce that Nintendo have officially filled their quota of 2D and minigame compilations for this gen... or at least the rest of the decade.

Announce it on 3DS, sell some, a while later announce the enhanced version for Switch.

Why make them pay once when you can make them pay twice...

• Like 1

I think I heard something about New 3DS exclusitivty. Hopefully that isn't the case though because I'm not getting a New 3DS for one game.

Will definitely keep an eye on this game though, nice to have proper Metroid back and hopefully the developers do a good job.

I think I heard something about New 3DS exclusitivty. Hopefully that isn't the case though because I'm not getting a New 3DS for one game.

Will definitely keep an eye on this game though, nice to have proper Metroid back and hopefully the developers do a good job.

Yeah, I hope it's not New 3DS only (or running smoothly only there)... they would have specified in the tweet if that were the case? *fingers crossed*

MercurySteam makes me super bloody nervous about how this will turn out, but I can't lie, it actually looks really good so far.

The parry move looks really overpowered, but the enemies hit like a truck, so it might balance things out. We'll have to wait and see.

Even so, I'm looking forward to Another Another Metroid 2 Remake :)

I absolutely loved Castlevania on 3DS. So underrated!

Like everyone else, gutted this isn't switch. Really don't know why this isn't for switch as well; they shouldn't be encouraging people to buy 3DS', just giving owners something to play. It being on both doesn't stop that!

I absolutely loved Castlevania on 3DS. So underrated!

Like everyone else, gutted this isn't switch. Really don't know why this isn't for switch as well; they shouldn't be encouraging people to buy 3DS', just giving owners something to play. It being on both doesn't stop that!

I guess because putting a 240p game on a 1080p system would either involve a ton of extra work, or they weren't keen on having a low res Metroid game ported over to their shiny new system.

It's games like this that make it reallllllly difficult for me to resist this new 2DS.

Damn you Nintendo.

WHAT?!!

Pros

* It's a 2D Metroid

Cons

* It should be on Switch (as well?)

* I don't like the graphics at all

3DS isn't powerful enough for 2.5D (a method I'm not hugely keen on anyway). A continuation of Fusion/Zero Mission's pixel art, or even HD hand-drawn (on Switch) would have been so much more pleasing. But still, it should play well, and hopefully this is the game we've been waiting for!

Yeah the art is really putting me off.

It looks like one of those PSP games that desperately wanted to tie into the home console and comes off looking shoddy. The Fusion art style is so nice too!

The SE of the game has been detailed on the Nintendo UK site. You still can't preorder it yet though.

While supplies last, fans will also be able to purchase a special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns which includes a physical version of the game, a download code for the original Game Boy game Metroid II: Return of Samus to be redeemed in Nintendo eShop, a SteelBook, a sound-selection CD featuring 25 tracks from across the Metroid franchise, a gold “S” pin badge, a Morph Ball 3D keyring and a 40-page artbook.

Sounds fantastic!

The SE of the game has been detailed on the Nintendo UK site. You still can't preorder it yet though.

Sounds fantastic!

Sold.

So glad I refrained buying Metroid 2 on VC now

Sounds fantastic!

£60 or less and I'm in :grin:

You know, I'm looking forward to this. I'm not a huge fan of the art style, either, but the gameplay mechanics look new enough to catch my attention.

As for the credibility of MercurySteam as a developer... I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. Sure, their Castlevania game isn't well-loved, but Nintendo tends to have high standards when allowing other developers to work on their franchises. There's a world of difference between Nintendo and Konami.

Also, I find it interesting that they'll follow the Zero Mission route, that is, to redesign the whole map. This game's final map is going to look very different from the one in AM2R, that's for sure.

Sounds fantastic!

Dang it! And I already pre-ordered one Special Edition this year, too! My integrity's going to vanish by year's end at this rate.

*grumble**grumble**firstworldproblems**grumble**grumble*

The Japanese eShop has the 3D trailer (I don't know if the European one has it) and it looks amazing! It gives the caverns so much more depth to them.

The Japanese eShop has the 3D trailer (I don't know if the European one has it) and it looks amazing! It gives the caverns so much more depth to them.

I looked for it yesterday but didn't find it, unfortunately.

Fair play to Nintendo for pulling me back into the 3DS, though. I honestly thought I was pretty much done with it but seeing Metroid at E3 encouraged me to play the system again (currently going through Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D) and I may end up picking up a few games I had previously dismissed :hehe:

Well played..

Hmm.. I want the 'Legacy Edition' but if the price is too much I reckon I'll be happy enough with just the game itself :smile:

I'm packing right now with a view to moving house in a few weeks and I'm starting to see the benefit of going digital with games and having less 'clutter' around :heh:

I'd really like that keyring but otherwise I'd rather just go digital :heh:

If it's a fair price (around £60), then I'll definitely get it.

That SE looks great.  Do we know if it's exclusive to a specific store yet?