NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

Just now, Glen-i said:

Y'all need to read your Pokédex more.

Or you need to play Pokemon less.  :p 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Or you need to play Pokemon less.  :p 

Hero-of-Time, if you're gonna engage in a conversation, you have to use words that make an actual sentence. That's just gibberish.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

That's literally the top screen of Pokémon Sun/Moon.

CnNRlCvUMAEOIKX.jpg

Y'all need to read your Pokédex more.

Yeah, and I thought the amiibo card idea sounds like an evolution of what they did with QR codes in Gen VII.

I think @Dcubed‘s idea of the TCG and games being linked by such cards would be pretty awesome, though, at least for younger fans (on a playground, specifically). 

3 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Yeah, and I thought the amiibo card idea sounds like an evolution of what they did with QR codes in Gen VII.

I think @Dcubed‘s idea of the TCG and games being linked by such cards would be pretty awesome, though, at least for younger fans (on a playground, specifically). 

It's certainly a cool idea as another method to catch Pokemon. I would just hope they don't go down the slippery slope of having card exclusive Pokémon.

10 minutes ago, Ashley said:

As opposed to store exclusive Pokémon...?

Fair point, but at least you're guaranteed to get those if you go to the store. They're also free, outside of travel costs.

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Fair point, but at least you're guaranteed to get those if you go to the store. They're also free, outside of travel costs.

Which can be substantial depending on where you live. Hell at some point in London you would have had to go to zone three. Three!

Let's face it, the franchise has always been built on practices that are just on the 'iffy' line (different versions, timed exclusives etc). But I'm not sure if they'd go for blind pack cards giving you Pokémon given how loot box issues are rummaging through courts. Maybe cards give your items, but nothing exclusive. 

Although what was that GBA game with the cards again...?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Although what was that GBA game with the cards again...?

Not sure what you might be referencing, but the only GBA Pokémon games that had anything to do with cards were Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen which used special e-reader cards. But only in Japan, due to how much the e-reader flopped here.

• Like 1

Yeah that is what I meant cheers. Forgot if it was a TGC game or not. 

Cheers!

On 27/04/2018 at 9:34 PM, Glen-i said:

Not sure what you might be referencing, but the only GBA Pokémon games that had anything to do with cards were Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen which used special e-reader cards. But only in Japan, due to how much the e-reader flopped here.

There were about 5ish TCG sets which came out which still had the e-reader scanner things on them, which I think only gave poke-dex entries.

Look at this sexy Crystal Nidoking

209945.jpg

Majestic.

I still have my EON Ticket, never been used

$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Never bothered getting an E-Reader, as you said, they bombed

• Thanks 2

I have an e-Reader, it's actually a really cool little device! Just the idea of full NES games, or GBA minigames, being stored on a literal piece of paper was wild!

Nowadays, we end up using paper to make our own games, so... we've come full circle :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I have an e-Reader, it's actually a really cool little device! Just the idea of full NES games, or GBA minigames, being stored on a literal piece of paper was wild!

Nowadays, we end up using paper to make our own games, so... we've come full circle :D 

Wow, you actually failed to mention Mario Party e.

The secret best thing about the e-reader.

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Wow, you actually failed to mention Mario Party e.

The secret best thing about the e-reader.

Well I did say "GBA minigames"... There aren't any other ones outside of the Japan only Pikmin cards, so it was kind of implied ;) 

But yeah, Mario Party e rocks! It's easily the best thing released for the e-Reader outside of the additional SMA 4 levels.

USGamer seem to be riling up a lot of people with their latest opinion piece:

Excitement for Pokemon on the Switch is growing. Every passing day brings with it new rumors and speculation. Will it be at E3? Will it be out in 2018? Surely Nintendo needs something massive this year, right? Well if you're hoping for a big reveal this year, chances are you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Their main points for this potential disappointment are:

• The Pokémon Company didn't think the Switch would be a success

• Pokémon’s new generations are usually announced at the beginning of the year

• Pokémon always takes its time getting to new platforms

• Pokémon Switch will be the most complex entry to date

I’m really unsure about all this.

I definitely think we’ll get it by the end of FY19 (which ends 31st March 2019), because I think “2018 or later” seems to point to that being the case; I can’t see them intentionally misleading shareholders with the goal of 2018 for it to be out later than the end of this fiscal year. In the event that Smash doesn’t come out until October/November this year, I can see Pokémon being pushed into Q1 2019 (heck, maybe that’s why we don’t have a release date for either of them yet). 

I’m also seeing a lot of debate about this game being Generation VIII, with some pointing to the fact that the anime still has a seemingly long way to go in Alola. I mean, what defines a new generation? Is it just the large amount of new Pokémon, new starters, and a new region?

My own opinion is that a change in game engine/art style plays into this; every initial pair of mainline Pokémon games on a new platform have started a new generation up to this point, and each has an art style/engine change which makes it distinct from the generation precedent them. A lot of people seem to be on the boat of “we’re returning to Kanto” (whether it be remakes or sequels), so would a new pair of games set in Kanto on Switch be a continuation of Gen VII, or would they begin Gen VIII, despite supposedly not having a new trio of starter Pokémon, etc.? Going in line with my previously voiced opinion, I do think that a return to Kanto on the Switch could still be the beginning of Generation VIII, as I assume that the engine will have been modified somewhat from Gen VII’s (even if only to fully cater to models and backgrounds which are presented in full HD).

I’m interested to hear what you guys/gals think of this. It’ll probably ruffle up some feathers, but oh well :p 

23 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Pokémon Switch will be the most complex entry to date

I know you didn't actually say that quote, but when has a new entry of Pokémon not been the most complex? That gives the impression that that person doesn't pay attention to think that's a groundbreaking revelation. In other words, duuuuuhhhhh!

As for the whole "is it Gen 8" debate, I don't think it's determined by 1 single aspect. It's a combination of new region, new Pokémon and new mechanics. If a game is missing one of these things, I'd be hesitant to declare it a new generation.

Were you thinking of me when you said it might ruffle some feathers, because you're damn right.

Nothing says "I don't understand why Pokémon sells" better than saying "I wanna go back to Kanto/They should only have the first 151 Pokémon"

It's stupid and unimaginative. Pokémon has had far more interesting locales and far more interesting Pokémon since the first games. But it always circles back to wanting everything to be Gen 1. Because that's the only one these selfish jerks have actually played.

I personally hope they take a leaf out of Gen 5. Nothing but new Pokémon until you finish the game. That's the only entry I think made the best attempt to recapture that initial first game feel. Everything was new, everything was exciting, everything felt fresh.

In comparison, Sun/Moon's Pokédex consisted of more than 40% Gen 1 Pokémon and that's embarrassing.

So no to Kanto and no to it's prominence throughout the last two Gens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It's stupid and unimaginative. Pokémon has had far more interesting locales and far more interesting Pokémon since the first games. But it always circles back to wanting everything to be Gen 1. Because that's the only one these selfish jerks have actually played.

Nah. I've played them all apart from Black/White 2 and I still think Kanto/Red/Blue/Yellow was the best.  Bring on ANOTHER remake, I say. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's go crazy and make all regions available to travel as and when you please.

But I don't expect that to ever happen.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I know you didn't actually say that quote, but when has a new entry of Pokémon not been the most complex? That gives the impression that that person doesn't pay attention to think that's a groundbreaking revelation. In other words, duuuuuhhhhh!

As for the whole "is it Gen 8" debate, I don't think it's determined by 1 single aspect. It's a combination of new region, new Pokémon and new mechanics. If a game is missing one of these things, I'd be hesitant to declare it a new generation.

Were you thinking of me when you said it might ruffle some feathers, because you're damn right.

Nothing says "I don't understand why Pokémon sells" better than saying "I wanna go back to Kanto/They should only have the first 151 Pokémon"

I personally hope they take a leaf out of Gen 5. Nothing but new Pokémon until you finish the game. That's the only entry I think made the best attempt to recapture that initial first game feel. Everything was new, everything was exciting, everything felt fresh.

In comparison, Sun/Moon's Pokédex consisted of more than 40% Gen 1 Pokémon and that's embarrassing.

So no to Kanto and no to it's prominence throughout the last two Gens.

I actually wasn’t referring to you when I said it might ruffle some feathers, but, in retrospect, maybe I should have been... :p 

I think I agree with you on Kanto (for the most part). I’m certainly not against a return to the region (post-game, set like 20 years after the originals with a lot having changed? That I’m up for!), but I’m confused as to why people seem to think that we’re more likely to have a game set in Kanto before getting a true start to Gen VIII. I know that Gamefreak love to play on nostalgia (Gen VI and Gen VII, I think, have shown that they love it a bit too much), but I don’t think that they’re going to throw their potential creativity out of the window for the sake of a cash-in alone. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that they practiced with a new/updated engine by recreating some parts of Kanto, but I just can’t see them making it the focus of a game again (disclaimer: yet).

I’m glad that you brought up Gen V, because I think that region nailed so much that Gen VI and Gen VII have sorely lacked. It’s a well-paced, linear (but not to the point that it’s detriment) experience with easily the greatest storytelling of the core series, with 156 (come on!) new Pokémon to encounter. Kalosian and Alolan Pokémon were pretty rare in their own games, so I do hope that they focus on having the new Pokémon front and centre throughout the main story.

My other big problem with Kalos and Alola in particular is that they’re literally just video game versions of France and Hawaii, as opposed to being inspired by them like previous regions; for example:

kalos_france_by_naruttebayo67-d6oxk3j.pn

I think you nailed it: “fresh” is exactly what I’m looking for most with Pokémon Switch. I’m not looking for anything on the scale of BOTW, but I am looking for some new takes on the formula to help streamline the experience, whether it be Pokémon being visible in the overworld or something else entirely. 

And they also need to stop with these gimmicks. Mega Evolution introduced a power creep which won’t go away now, and while I like the idea of regional variants as a concept, having them all be exclusive to Kanto Pokémon in Gen VII isn’t at all exciting. Z-moves also do nothing for me (and both that and Mega Evolution give me way too much of a Digimon vibe). Even if they do continue with regional variants, why not go back and give us some new evolutions to older Pokémon, something I don’t think we’ve seen since Gen IV with the likes of Probopass, Magnezone, Gallade, et al? Like regional variants, it’s something which could contextually make sense (the introduction of Mega Evolutions/Z-moves has aided in the evolution of other Pokémon, or some nonsense along those lines), and it’s something which I think would be received comparatively well. What brought that to my mind was the recent reveal that Raichu was originally going to have a devil-horned, farmer orange evolution called Gorochu. 

Even if it doesn’t come out this year, I do hope that we learn some things about it this year. At the very least, I just want some of these silly rumours to be proven wrong :D 

54 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

I think I agree with you on Kanto (for the most part). I’m certainly not against a return to the region (post-game, set like 20 years after the originals with a lot having changed? That I’m up for!), but I’m confused as to why people seem to think that we’re more likely to have a game set in Kanto before getting a true start to Gen VIII.

Once again, I blame Sun/Moon. That game just would not shut up about it. "Oh hey, you moved here from Kanto!" "Wow, your Meowth is so God damn interesting" "I'm Lillie and the plot dictates that I must go to Kanto to heal my deranged mother. Why? Because Kanto hasn't been mentioned enough, of course" (Hilariously retconned in Ultra Sun/Moon so that Gladion goes there instead and then comes back 3 Elite Four runs later, must have realised how boring it is.)

It got the idea that a return to Kanto must be happening soon in people's heads, why else would Game Freak reference it so much? Stuff like that.

• Like 1

I can see them rebooting the series for this entry, just like they did with the movies.

It could be placed in Kanto, but that region will now be inhabited by all/more than the original 151 species of pokemon.

Gives them a chance to clean up some of the mess they created over the years.

Something like that.

• Like 1

Perhaps they can make everyone happy (or at least @Glen-i less angry) by setting in Kanto but the storyline is the native Pokémon of the region have been mysteriously disappearing so there's not many of them and conservationists from other regions have tried to introduce other Pokémon into Kanto to help the ecosystem.  You'd still see some of the original 151 as a few of them would be available in the wild, but rare, and trainers would still have some.  But until you destroy Team Rocket (because obviously that's who is doing it and obviously a 10 year old child is the best to bring them down) it's more of a mixed bag.

Maybe they could really mix it up by having the starter choices be Squirtle, Cyndaquil and Rowlet (I skipped some generations because the grass starters are nerds).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Perhaps they can make everyone happy (or at least @Glen-i less angry) by setting in Kanto but the storyline is the native Pokémon of the region have been mysteriously disappearing so there's not many of them and conservationists from other regions have tried to introduce other Pokémon into Kanto to help the ecosystem.  You'd still see some of the original 151 as a few of them would be available in the wild, but rare, and trainers would still have some.  But until you destroy Team Rocket (because obviously that's who is doing it and obviously a 10 year old child is the best to bring them down) it's more of a mixed bag.

Maybe they could really mix it up by having the starter choices be Squirtle, Cyndaquil and Rowlet (I skipped some generations because the grass starters are nerds).

That's actually quite a cool idea. I can dig it. They'd have to make the actual region less bland for me to be totally on board but still.

Also, what the hell!? Treecko is an awesome grass starter, even if Grovyle evolving into Sceptile feels a bit like a downgrade.

Just now, Glen-i said:

That's actually quite a cool idea. I can dig it. They'd have to make the actual region less bland for me to be totally on board but still.

Also, what the hell!? Treecko is an awesome grass starter, even if Grovyle evolving into Sceptile feels a bit like a downgrade.

Going purely on looks (because it's been so long that I can't remember what they're actually like):

Treecko - think's he's a jock, actually a nerd
Turtwig - band geek
Snivy - pretentious loser, would wear a beret
Chespin - Ralph Wiggum

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

Going purely on looks (because it's been so long that I can't remember what they're actually like):

Treecko - think's he's a jock, actually a nerd
Turtwig - band geek
Snivy - pretentious loser, would wear a beret
Chespin - Ralph Wiggum

That's... Surprisingly on-point.