NEurope
Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

33 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Seeing as a fair few of us have seen the credits rolled now, would anyone be interested in a Champions Battle with me?

It's something @Ugh first aid and I always do when we both finish the game.

Simply put, it's a battle with these restrictions.

• Standard ruleset (All Pokémon set to Lv 50, no legendaries)
  • The 6 Pokémon you use must be the 6 you used on the final battle before the credits rolled.

Yeah, it's pretty straightforward. I find it fun to compare teams that aren't even remotely competitive.

Give me a shout if anyone is interested.

Sounds like a laugh, I’d be up for that. :) 

I’ve been messing around with the Battle Tower stuff on this now. Hit a brick wall with my own Pokémon quite soon, so switched to one of the rental teams and have so far made it to the Ultra Ball Tier. You can get some crazy good rewards in there! :cool: 

So yeah, having properly trained/evolved Pokémon definitely helps, but I still make a lot of mistakes with sending out the wrong types or using moves at  a bad time. :hehe: 

There are so many variables though, it really is insane just how deep the mechanics go. I’d love to get better at the competitive side of things though, especially as once the Pokédex is complete (although I still got a while to go there) that’s pretty much what’s left to sink your teeth into.

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 2

I found the Skill rental team in the Battle Tower to be pretty OP and much better than anything that I had put together at the time.

9 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Sounds like a laugh, I’d be up for that. :) 

7pm good for you? Doubles or Singles? And do you want to allow Dynamax?

Edited by Glen-i

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

7pm good for you? Doubles or Singles? And do you want to allow Dynamax?

7pm is cool, yeah.

Better stick to singles for now though, I’m still trying to get my head around that! :grin: 
You can choose whatever you prefer for Dynamax.

Just now, RedShell said:

7pm is cool, yeah.

Better stick to singles for now though, I’m still trying to get my head around that! :grin: 
You can choose whatever you prefer for Dynamax.

Let's go with no Dynamax, I find it's too central to competitive battles. A lot of matches are won by the person who decides to Dynamax first.

Then again, your team are mostly unevolved? So maybe you should be allowed to use it to even the odds? It's up to you if you want to do that.

Let's go with no Dynamax, I find it's too central to competitive battles. A lot of matches are won by the person who decides to Dynamax first.

Then again, your team are mostly unevolved? So maybe you should be allowed to use it to even the odds? It's up to you if you want to do that.

The team I beat the game with is Grookey, Meowth, Pikachu, Arcanine, Pelipper and Ribombee.

So 50/50.

Could do no Dynamax on the first battle, then another with it on?

• Like 1

OK, @RedShell after this Heatmor raid, I'm gonna get my team ready and set up a battle room.

I'll edit this with the code a bit later.

OK, @RedShell after this Heatmor raid, I'm gonna get my team ready and set up a battle room.

I'll edit this with the code a bit later.

Ok. Do I need to have the team I’m going to use in my active party, or can I choose them from the storage box?

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Ok. Do I need to have the team I’m going to use in my active party, or can I choose them from the storage box?

I'm not sure, so I put mine in my active party, just in case.

Code is 3648.

• Thanks 1

That Arcanine switch at the end was a mistake. You should have kept Pikachu alive. Other than that, it's a surprisingly good team.

I enjoyed that.

We should get 4 N-E members together and do a Multi Battle with our Champion teams sometime.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

That was quite close.

Next we'll do a Dynamax one

Well, no surprises there then. :heh: 

I thought I’d be able to Dynamax Pikachu when I switched though. :blank: 

Anyway, cheers for the lesson. :cool: 

Wahey! I finally got paid! Just went ahead and bought Sword, so expect me to join in the fun shortly :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Well, no surprises there then. :heh: 

I thought I’d be able to Dynamax Pikachu when I switched though. :blank: 

Anyway, cheers for the lesson. :cool: 

Yeah, always keep in mind that when you switch, you're gonna have to take whatever attack the opponent throws out before you can start retaliating.

Also, Fake Out only works on the first turn your Pokémon is out, not the opponents.

Just now, Dcubed said:

Wahey! I finally got paid! Just went ahead and bought Sword, so expect me to join in the fun shortly :D 

Welcome to the Pokémon Club :D

I'm actually only around four hours into the game and haven't left the Wild Area yet so you're not far behind where I am in the game. :peace:

Looking forward to playing more of it though, the battle music has been stuck in my head since I last played the game a few days ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, always keep in mind that when you switch, you're gonna have to take whatever attack the opponent throws out before you can start retaliating.

Also, Fake Out only works on the first turn your Pokémon is out, not the opponents.

Ah, I see. Thanks. :)

Did you get anything for those wins BTW, PB or something?

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

We should get 4 N-E members together and do a Multi Battle with our Champion teams sometime.

Good idea. I’ll hopefully be a bit better prepared next time. :hehe: 

Just now, RedShell said:

Ah, I see. Thanks. :)

Did you get anything for those wins BTW, PB or something?

Good idea. I’ll hopefully be a bit better prepared next time. :hehe: 

Nah, nothing, seems you only get something for doing ranked battles. Pity that.

Just now, Glen-i said:

Nah, nothing, seems you only get something for doing ranked battles. Pity that.

Hmm, yeah that’s a bit poo. Oh well.

I'd be up for these Champion Battles. Just started doing the post-game myself but I stuck to a defined team of 6 throughout most of the game. Keep in mind though that I'm sharing the Switch with another player and may not have it available in the evenings so much as they are still playing the single player game (with a sheer determination not to be overlevelled to the point that there's a rotating party of about 9-12 Pokemon or so) and recently beat the 6th gym. I've often ended up playing during the daytime.

• Like 1

I just realised this now after fighting @RedShell.

Has this game removed the Battle Video option!?

EDIT: Man, Toxtricity and G-Max Pikachu is a great combo for any raids weak to electric! Toxtricity's ability actually makes it stronger when it's normal size, which leaves Pikachu to fit that role brilliantly with the guaranteed Paralysis move (As long as that shield isn't up)

Edited by Glen-i

I'm up for recording any battles I have online using Elgato and posting them on here when I get the chance. Will need to set up the Switch for such recording beforehand though.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Hey, @RedShell, I've got the item that evolves that Rhydon if you haven't got that evolution yet.

Cheers. Not sure if I need that, will let you know.