Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

Recommended Posts

Nature selection is huge! And you can now use vitamins for complete EV training!? Awesome!!

 

Now let's just hope that there's some sort of equivilent to Hyper Training...

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

content-4-36038-pokemonswordshieldtrailerbanner.jpg

Up on the front page. :D

It's a good trailer, I still don't like the Dynamax and Gigamax stuff but the rest of the game looks great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being able to effectively change a Pokemon's Nature is excellent news! As much as I've always enjoyed Pokemon games, I've always felt right from the days of Ruby and Sapphire that "this isn't fun" when soft resetting one-off Pokemon for the right Nature. I like how they've not actually changed the underlying Nature. So you're not like, messing with its brain lol. xD

Egg Moves now being available to existing Pokemon is also excellent news.

Hopefully we can still boost IVs, reset EVs, and change abilities. And hopefully all of these things are re-doable as many times as you want. Although some in-game effort e.g. to get the item you need is fair, it is an RPG after all.

The reason I say this is because, let's say you've just completed the game and you want to make your team competetive or just improve it a bit. In the past, if your Pokemon had the wrong Nature or was missing an Egg Move, you'd have to simply train a new one from scratch. With these changes, you can now just use your existing Pokemon!

Gonna be honest I was a little sad when I saw the chart showing which Pokemon didn't make it into the games, but this news about Natures etc is definitely postitive news imo. :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a little bit of drama on Twitter earlier. Liam Robertson @Doctor_Cupcakes claims that 'smaller' outlets aren't receiving review codes early, to help prevent further leaks from happening. But reviews will still go out as usual from larger outlets like IGN.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If publishers can't run a tighter ship then it'd help if outlets stopped reporting on leaks.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one week until the games are out. I'll be buying them day 1 though my expectations will be tempered somewhat.

 

Also not really a fan of the fact that they've carried over the PC Access feature from Let's Go. Hopefully it isn't as exploitable as in Let's Go because you're basically allowing free heals after every battle. I am however all for the changes in making competitive Pokemon easier. It means we shouldn't need to soft reset for natures on the starter and our other Pokemon and it is also a good addition considering we have autosave now. In spite of Sun and Moon making it easy to build a competitive team through the Pelago I didn't get to max out my EVs for the in-game team in that game since there was no way to reset EVs gained over the course of the game.

 

Oh yeah, I also decided to make a Youtube video about my Pokemon team history in the run up to the games:

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen on reddit that they are now refunding the game to those that want refunds due to the culling of Pokemon.

Am I missing something here? Why are people so pissed off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Just seen on reddit that they are now refunding the game to those that want refunds due to the culling of Pokemon.

Am I missing something here? Why are people so pissed off?

First mainline Pokémon game in history where it will be completely impossible to catch them all.

Chances are likely your favourite Pokémon won't be in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Just seen on reddit that they are now refunding the game to those that want refunds due to the culling of Pokemon.

Am I missing something here? Why are people so pissed off?

Because of the costs and complexities of HD development, Game Freak have had to cut most of the past Pokemon from the series in order to get this game out of the door.  It's not even that they're not all catchable in the game (no Pokemon game has ever allowed this; but you have always been able to transfer Pokemon over from other games), but the culled Pokemon are not even in the game's code, so it is impossible to transfer your favourite Pokemon from previous games because they're literally not in the game's code at all.

 

This also makes the upcoming Pokemon Home service basically useless.

 

For the first time ever, you literally cannot Catch 'em All.

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/11/2019 at 9:24 PM, Glen-i said:

First mainline Pokémon game in history where it will be completely impossible to catch them all.

Chances are likely your favourite Pokémon won't be in this game.

But I don't understand why this is actually an issue.

My favourite games in the series were Black and White and, if I recall, the Pokedex during the main campaign consisted of 100% new Pokemon. I didn't even think to complain.

That said....Having followed the spoilers thread on Resetera, the campaign looks horrendously paced. I was hoping that the enforced Exp Share meant that the game would be balanced better but it actually looks way worse. People playing through the game are way over-leveled and the pacing for the last few gyms seems to have fallen off a cliff. It looks like a very short campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

My favourite games in the series were Black and White and, if I recall, the Pokedex during the main campaign consisted of 100% new Pokemon. I didn't even think to complain.

But then after the story you could transfer your old Pokémon and establish a competitive team consisting of both old and new Pokémon. 

I think the ones complaining are mainly people battling competitively in Pokémon, but it also hurts the base gameplay goal of the game: Catch 'em all.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

But then after the story you could transfer your old Pokémon and establish a competitive team consisting of both old and new Pokémon. 

I think the ones complaining are mainly people battling competitively in Pokémon, but it also hurts the base gameplay goal of the game: Catch 'em all.

Right, I completely forgot about that. I was literally just thinking of the campaign. I imagine that if I'd spend countless hours EV training specific Pokemon, it would be disheartening to see that they'd been axed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/11/2019 at 9:24 PM, Glen-i said:

First mainline Pokémon game in history where it will be completely impossible to catch them all.

Chances are likely your favourite Pokémon won't be in this game.

You can't catch them all in any game. You can own them all, in some.

Sorry, but I know how much you like pedantry. :D

Edited by Sheikah
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Right, I completely forgot about that. I was literally just thinking of the campaign. I imagine that if I'd spend countless hours EV training specific Pokemon, it would be disheartening to see that they'd been axed.

 

It’s not just that; but also it’s sad to not be able to bring your favourite Pokémon forward that you’ve spent so much time and effort training before.  Especially if you’ve been carrying them forward ever since the GBA games.

 

You grow attached to your own Pokemon, like your pets.  So it’s disheartening to have to leave them behind, even if you’re not playing high-level competitive play.

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

It’s not just that; but also it’s sad to not be able to bring your favourite Pokémon forward that you’ve spent so much time and effort training before.  Especially if you’ve been carrying them forward ever since the GBA games.

 

You grow attached to your own Pokemon, like your pets.  So it’s disheartening to have to leave them behind, even if you’re not playing high-level competitive play.

It might be sad for some but they've been hoist by their own petard. You can't continue to keep adding Pokemon and moves, while all the while making the graphics better, and still expect to squeeze them all on/go to all the trouble of animating them all every time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

It might be sad for some but they've been hoist by their own petard. You can't continue to keep adding Pokemon and moves, while all the while making the graphics better, and still expect to squeeze them all on/go to all the trouble of animating them all every time.

This is the main reason why I think they need to stop releasing a Pokémon title every year.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

This is the main reason why I think they need to stop releasing a Pokémon title every year.

I'd be fine with every two or three years.

What's the betting though that now Sword & Shield are happening as they are, for better or worse, that we'll see enhanced versions of the games in a years time?

Where they attempt to "fix" everything like they did with Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon...

Do you think we'll end up with that kind of situation again?

I'll admit, my understanding of Pokémon is limited, but this is the way I see things at the moment... I'm still going to buy Pokémon Sword though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

This is the main reason why I think they need to stop releasing a Pokémon title every year.

They just need to make extinct about three quarters of the Pokemon that released from Gen 3 onward, citing some regional virus, and they're golden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They just need to make extinct about three quarters of the Pokemon that released from Gen 3 onward, citing some regional virus, and they're golden.
Climate change. Release a Direct with a David Attenborough voice-over.
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give me the next Pokemon game set in a post apocalyptic Fallout style world where only certain Pokemon survived and I might actually be interested in the series again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Give me the next Pokemon game set in a post apocalyptic Fallout style world where only certain Pokémon survived and I might actually be interested in the series again.

I could be wrong but wasn't there a recently made fan-game which had that theme? Pokémon Uranium I think it was called.

I'll admit that it would be nice if the developers would take some inspiration from some of the fan-made titles as I hear that they're pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game is going to be a very interesting experience. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt but given this game seems to have more complaints about it in the run up to launch than most of the pre-release launches I've seen regarding new Pokemon. I severely hope that there are a lot of positive elements to this game that make up for the shortcomings which are being pushed out and heightened on as the internet usually does. The leak situation only seems to have furthered things though and it doesn't help that general gaming news Youtube channels like YongYea are only reporting on the negative elements of the new Pokemon games and the decision to axe the national dex, and when the games got leaked these channels had no hesitation making it public just how many Pokemon have been cut from the game. The fact that I've managed to avoid all the spoilers on what all the new Pokemon are will probably make the game a better experience, I think this is the first time that the starter's middle evolutions (I keep wanting to call them Stage 1 since that's what they are in the TCG) have not been revealed before the game has been released.

 

It was kind of cool that #ThankYouGameFreak was trending on Twitter though, as it spoke to the more human side of the actual game's development. I do wonder who is enforcing the yearly development cycle though, making an RPG every year is surely much harder for annualisation than something like FIFA or Call of Duty and you look at previous games in the Pokemon series and other RPGs like Final Fantasy and Xenoblade which have spent a lot longer in development.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think it’s been officially confirmed, but I saw on Twitter somewhere that the review embargo lifts tomorrow, Tuesday 12th November at 1pm UK time.

I also saw someone say that the review embargo date is also part of the embargo itself, so let’s see :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tim B said:

I don’t think it’s been officially confirmed, but I saw on Twitter somewhere that the review embargo lifts tomorrow, Tuesday 12th November at 1pm UK time.

I also saw someone say that the review embargo date is also part of the embargo itself, so let’s see :D

Am expecting it to get utterly savaged by the review outlets (especially since most of the major media outlets hate Pokemon anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now