Cube

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019, Switch)

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So you changed the background to green and called it a day. :p 

How cruelly accurate :(

  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What's even more impressive is that it still looks the same as it did 20 years ago. :laughing:

Congrats, Joe.

Not true. He got rid of the splash page. :heh:

Still needs to sort of the line spacing though, everything's too close together. :heh:

Congrats on the 20th anniversary, I appreciate all the work you do @Serebii.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the 20 years @Serebii Hope you're celebrating in some way!

Come 2039 perhaps it will start looking like early MySpace :p 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations@Serebii! I would make a joke about your outdated website design, but I've never visited it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

 

That ad is borderline false advertising.  It would’ve been amazing... had every Pokemon actually have been included...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is every Pokémon represented in that video, though? One can only presume that those appearing in the video are included in the game... Someone has to count. :p

Edited by MindFreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Is every Pokémon represented in that video, though? One can only presume that those appearing in the video is included in the game... Someone has to count. :p

Yeah, as much as I want to jump in on the "Not a Proper Dex" argument, (Which is still absolutely valid, BTW) I don't think this advert is trying to say that everybody is here, that's Smash's thing now. If anything, I think that ad is trying to hide the fact that everybody is not here.

Anyway, someone did count, they've been counting for a while. @Serebii has you covered.
The bolded text indicates Pokémon that this ad confirmed. Not as many as you'd think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably why they didn't have time to include all Pokémon:

Quote

Famitsu: The other day during the early access demo event for the media I got a chance to try it out, but when I saw the game screen for Pokemon Sword & Shield, I saw some stuff that made me feel at ease, and there’s just something mysterious about the power of picture. I couldn’t help but gaze into it.

Junichi Masuda: “We put a lot of attention on ways of looking at the screen. Although we had trouble on lighting, glass reflections, and such… [laughs wryly]”

Shigeru Ohmori: “For example, one of them was the ‘tall grass,’ which took us about a half-year of disagreements until it took its shape.”

Famitsu: Half a year for the tall grass…!

Shigeru Ohmori: “The tall grass in the world of Pokémon are places were the users and Pokémon meet. As for the game, it’s part of the core way of playing that tells you ‘There’s tall grass there so you might find some Pokémon, let’s check it out,’ so it is very important. How much should we make its distance, how much space, how much graphics should we use to present it. It’s a part that affects game characters, so we really put in a lot of time on that.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it turns out that Toby Fox of Undertale fame has composed a song for Pokemon Sword/Shield.

 

Spoiler

Sounds like battle music. And it definitely has his style. And that style is sweet!

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soooooooo, it seems got a hold of Sword & Shield early and that, once again, the streetdate has been broken, and so potential leaks are spreading. Just a heads-up if you're trying to avoid seeing new Pokémon and new variants which haven't been officially announced yet.

This has made me wonder: Pokémon is massive and obviously the shipping and distribution of so many copies around the world to all manner of retailers results in this happening, but seriously, does anyone know if there's a series which has its streetdate broken as consistently?

I genuinely can't remember the last time that a core series Pokémon streetdate wasn't broken ::shrug:

Edited by Julius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's the streetdate being broken, but rather someone getting a review copy and proceeded to make an illegal pirate copy available for download.

 

Sadly this has become very commonplace with Switch games as Nintendo seek out coverage from Youtube "influencers" and the like; people who have proven themselves to be often less than trustworthy.

 

Speaking of which, GoNintendo/Contra Network are well known for downloading pirate copies of games and using them for early press coverage/tech "analysis".  I suspect that all of the major Pokemon fansites have also done the same... so best keep away from them until the game comes out...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if 'event' legendaries will be in the game data from day 1 for hackers to see, or if they'll actually make use of DLC to keep them secret?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I don't think it's the streetdate being broken, but rather someone getting a review copy and proceeded to make an illegal pirate copy available for download.

Sadly this has become very commonplace with Switch games as Nintendo seek out coverage from Youtube "influencers" and the like; people who have proven themselves to be often less than trustworthy.

Speaking of which, GoNintendo/Contra Network are well known for downloading pirate copies of games and using them for early press coverage/tech "analysis".  I suspect that all of the major Pokemon fansites have also done the same... so best keep away from them until the game comes out...

Amazing... so Nintendo are only all too happy to send copies out to just about any random YouTube channel so long as they have enough followers, regardless of whether or not these channels or individuals have a proven track record? I mean, this isn't just breaking embargo or NDA but outright piracy and will there even be any legal action taken against the people who have decided to pirate it? I doubt it, either that or whoever has done it has weighed it up and done it anyway regardless of what happens. ::shrug:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Amazing... so Nintendo are only all too happy to send copies out to just about any random YouTube channel so long as they have enough followers, regardless of whether or not these channels are individuals have a proven track record? I mean, this isn't just breaking embargo or NDA but outright piracy and will there even be any legal action taken against the people who have decided to pirate it? I doubt it, either that or whoever has done it has weighed it up and done it anyway regardless of what happens. ::shrug:

I don't think that they literally give out review copies to anyone lol.  They do give out review copies to people who run moderately popular Youtube channels though... and surprise surprise, look at just how many Switch games get leaked out before release all of a sudden!

 

This isn't a new phenomenon though.  GBA games were notorious for this happening; Sonic Advance 3 is a famous example, where a review copy cartridge was dumped and uploaded three months before its release!  Likewise, The Minish Cap was leaked early; as were many other titles.

 

It has become a lot more common with Switch though... I don't recall leaked copies like this being so common with DS and 3DS...

 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

I wonder if 'event' legendaries will be in the game data from day 1 for hackers to see, or if they'll actually make use of DLC to keep them secret?

I've always wondered why they didn't do this with the 3DS titles.  It seemed like such a no brainer thing to do when data-mining and cheat devices are basically targetted squarely at the mainline Pokemon series :blank:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I don't think that they literally give out review copies to anyone lol.  They do give out review copies to people who run moderately popular Youtube channels though... and surprise surprise, look at just how many Switch games get leaked out before release all of a sudden!

This isn't a new phenomenon though.  GBA games were notorious for this happening; Sonic Advance 3 is a famous example, where a review copy cartridge was dumped and uploaded three months before its release!

It has become a lot more common with Switch though... I don't recall leaked copies like this being so common with DS and 3DS...

Perhaps not but it sure seems that way with regard to what has been happening, ultimately though these people have been trusted with review copies, evidently some or a lot of them aren't trustworthy or are being persuaded or manipulated by someone to pirate the game and it's not right at all.

It might not be a new phenomenon but now the effects of it couldn't be any more far-reaching due to the age in which we live, Sonic Advance 3 being uploaded three months before release is still huge for its time but I don't think it affected sales that much although I'm still not excusing it but this is Pokémon in 2019... as well as other IP's.

You'd have thought with how heavy-handed Nintendo has been in protecting their older games by taking down ROM sites etc that they'd be a little bit more keen to protect their modern games... or maybe they've just decided that they can't do anything about it so why bother?

This will only hurt their bottom line though so you'd think they'd be a bit more concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultimately there's nothing they can really do other than blacklist and take legal action against those who do end up dumping and distributing review copies of games.  That's if they can even figure out who did the deed in the first place.

 

The only alternative is to just not give review copies out; and that's not really much of an alternative is it?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bit funny. I work on a Danish Nintendo site and we get a lot of games for review. But even though we have a very good track record, deliver quality reviews, and meet the required standards, we don't get Pokémon before it's out. So it baffles me if random Youtubers get the game before then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I take it all the version exclusive stuff is known now then, I’m still not quite sure which version to go for, but I’m thinking Shield at the moment. 

Looking forward to getting back into the series though, not played a Pokémon game since Black 2 on NDS! :hehe: 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Ultimately there's nothing they can really do other than blacklist and take legal action against those who do end up dumping and distributing review copies of games.  That's if they can even figure out who did the deed in the first place.

The only alternative is to just not give review copies out; and that's not really much of an alternative is it?

No, you're right... it's just a damned shame though.

Of course they still need to give out review copies, it does make me wonder though if they will change their policies in the future and whether or not this will effect things.

Ah well, I suppose it's just a case of damage limitation at this point... it seems like it's nigh-on impossible to keep any contents of a game a surprise until launch day now. ::shrug:

I'm still looking forward to the game though, I hope no one misunderstands me, it's just frustrating as a reviewer to see this kind of thing going on, that's all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ike said:

Guess it's time to stay off GoNintendo, Twitter and YouTube then. 

I'd say the same but, I just know I'll be on there, Nintendo Everything and other Nintendo News posting/reposting sites trying to get some news for the N-Europe front page.

Rest assured though, that I know we won't post any spoilers or leaks from the games. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites